• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PRC PhD Researcher Wants Government To Take Better Care of New Citizens

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The benefits of being Singaporean.

I saw Mr Chun twice this year – almost 6 months apart.

The first time I met him in Macdonald was early this year and the same desperate look never left his countenance when I saw him back again this week.

Mr Chun became a new citizen for almost a year now but soon after he traded his PRC China citizenship for a Singaporean one, he was made jobless. It was something that he didn’t hope for when he became a new citizen here.

He came over to Singapore on a EDB one-year attachment and has stayed here for the past ten years. He has a 15-year-old son staying with him.

They rented a room in a condominium and life was comfortable even though he does not have his own place.

He was accepted into the engineering PhD programme after his EDB attachment and he was paid an allowance of close to $2000 to study and work.

Moreover, it was also his dream to attain his engineering PhD abroad.

Three years into his study, he was accepted to work as a project officer with a local institution drawing close to $3000 while he wrapped up his study. He was working on a 2-year contractual research agreement then.

Things went pretty much downhill when he was asked to leave 18 months into his contract for work performance issue and disagreement with his PRC Chinese boss.

“It was a disputable decision,” Mr Chun confided in me.

“I also have no one to turn to and seek recourse.”

Mr Chun seldom mixed around and don’t have many friends that he can share his problem with.

I told him that the Employment Act here does not cover high ranking positions like PhD researchers.

However, a close colleague later managed to convince the same institution to hire him back for a project on a one-year contractual basis. His pay rose to $4000 as he has managed to earn his Phd in engineering after studying for 5 years here.

“After three months, I was asked to leave again,” Mr Chun told me as I gasped in shocked disbelief.

This was to be his second contractual termination – by the same institution.

“Did you screwed up again?” I asked.

“I don’t know, Gilbert” he told me sheepishly.

However, he managed to convince the management to allow him to stay on till the end of his one-year contract. They didn’t extend his contract after that and was let off.

Already jobless for six months now, Mr Chun amazingly has not being call up for a single interview so far during this period even though he has sent out 20 0ver emailed applications for research positions.

I asked whether the research institution has blacklisted him as most of the positions he applied for belong to government-linked companies and probably that’s why he didn’t receive any interview at all after the termination as they would have share information with one another.

“Its possible, especially if you have been terminated by the same company twice,” he told me as he tried to make light of his dicey situation.

“I also want the Singaporean government to take better care of new citizens.”

I began to listen raptly to what he has to say later.

“We became citizens so as to have a better livelihood here. We need to be given better opportunities as researchers in this country.”

Mr Chun told me that more than 80% of researchers he knew are foreigners and almost all his bosses he worked with previously came from PRC China. Ironically, the ones that fired him are also from his home land.

He told me that converting to Singaporean citizenship may be a mistake as the country seems to favour foreign talents more than local ones.

He also suspected that because he is a converted citizen, some of his foreign bosses may be wary that he could be a threat to their position.

As for Mr Chun’s future employment opportunities, he is already writing in to a few foreign research institutions and will make a move if they are willing to hire him.

Though he has some savings to fall back on, he felt that it won’t last him for more than 2-3 years.

It is also not too good if he enters into prolonged unemployment as a researcher and employers will ask him about the long absence from the workforce.

As our government now decides to convert at least 20,000 new citizens yearly to make up for the low birth rate here, more should be done to take care of their employment needs.

If not, the government will waste precious resources to convert foreign talents and later see them go off to other countries looking for work opportunities.

Written by: Gilbert Goh

wMulew

Alfrescian
Loyal
How come researcher pay so low. That Phd is earning even less then me, might as well just use his degree and get proper work

Last edited:

Capano2121

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bumped off twice by the same joint - Either he's damn bloody extraordinarily cheap or the institution is too damn bloody extraordinarily cheap to offer better pay for a proper researcher!
Both times terminated half way through and the institution did not learn from the very first time when they terminated him! But then again PRC researcher which he argued with must be telling him how stupid he is to convert to citizen, as long as foreigner considered talent once convert to citizen, just another lazy daft unmotivated sinkie!

Come to think of it, seems like no Singaporeans interested in research jobs is it? All researchers that i've encountered in these institutes are 100% foreigners or is it the criteria for employment must be foreigners? And seriously what kind of innovation ever came out of these institutions? NTU used to have plenty of local grads that was innovative back in the 90s but since they open up the jamban for these foreign shit, suddenly Singaporeans lost the creative flairs?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jobless PhD new citizen: Mistake to become Singaporean

[h=2]Jobless PhD new citizen: Mistake to become Singaporean[/h]
PostDateIcon.png
June 20th, 2012 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Contributions

citizen-300x195.jpg
New citizens swearing in (Photo ST)

I saw Mr Chun twice this year – almost 6 months apart.

The first time I met him in McDonald was early this year and the same desperate look never left his countenance when I saw him back again this week.

Mr Chun became a new citizen for almost a year now but soon after he traded his PRC China citizenship for a Singapore one, he was made jobless. It was something that he didn’t hope for when he became a new citizen here.

He came over to Singapore on an EDB one-year attachment and has stayed here for the past ten years. He has a 15-year-old son staying with him.

They rented a room in a condominium and life was comfortable even though he does not have his own place.

He was accepted into the engineering PhD programme after his EDB attachment and he was paid an allowance of close to $2000 to study and work.

Moreover, it was also his dream to attain his engineering PhD abroad.

Three years into his study, he was accepted to work as a project officer with a local institution drawing close to $3000 while he wrapped up his study. He was working on a 2-year contractual research agreement then.

Things went pretty much downhill when he was asked to leave 18 months into his contract for work performance issue and disagreement with his PRC Chinese boss.

“It was a disputable decision,” Mr Chun confided in me.

“I also have no one to turn to and seek recourse.”

Mr Chun seldom mixed around and don’t have many friends that he can share his problem with.

I told him that the Employment Act here does not cover high ranking positions like PhD researchers.

However, a close colleague later managed to convince the same institution to hire him back for a project on a one-year contractual basis. His pay rose to $4000 as he has managed to earn his PhD in engineering after studying for 5 years here.

“After three months, I was asked to leave again,” Mr Chun told me as I gasped in shocked disbelief.

This was to be his second contractual termination – by the same institution.

“Did you screwed up again?”, I asked.

“I don’t know, Gilbert”, he told me sheepishly.

However, he managed to convince the management to allow him to stay on till the end of his one-year contract. They didn’t extend his contract after that and was let off.

Already jobless for six months now, Mr Chun amazingly has not been called up for a single interview so far during this period even though he has sent out 20 0ver email applications for research positions (as a Singaporean now).

I asked whether the research institutions have blacklisted him as most of the positions he applied for belong to government-linked companies and probably that’s why he didn’t receive any interview at all after the termination as they would have shared information with one another.

“It’s possible, especially if you have been terminated by the same company twice,” he told me as he tried to make light of his dicey situation.
I also want the Singapore government to take better care of new citizens.”

I began to listen raptly to what he has to say later.

“We became citizens so as to have a better livelihood here. We need to be given better opportunities as researchers in this country.”

Mr Chun told me that more than 80% of researchers he knew are foreigners and almost all his bosses he worked with previously came from PRC China. Ironically, the ones that fired him are also from his home land.

He told me that converting to Singaporean citizenship may be a mistake as the country seems to favour foreign talents more than local ones.

He also suspected that because he is a converted citizen, some of his foreign bosses may be wary that he could be a threat to their position.

As for Mr Chun’s future employment opportunities, he is already writing in to a few foreign research institutions and will make a move if they are willing to hire him.

Though he has some savings to fall back on, he felt that it won’t last him for more than 2-3 years.

It is also not too good if he enters into prolonged unemployment as a researcher and employers will ask him about the long absence from the workforce.

As our government now decides to convert at least 20,000 new citizens yearly to make up for the low birth rate here, more should be done to take care of their employment needs.

If not, the government is just wasting precious resources to convert foreign talents and later see them go off to other countries looking for work opportunities.
Gilbert Goh
* Gilbert Goh is the founder of transitioning.org. It is a non-profit society specially set up to cater to the emotional needs of the unemployed Singaporeans.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Jobless PhD new citizen: Mistake to become Singaporean

I feel sorry for him but I am also amazed that he was given citizenship despite not having a proper permanent job. It was research positions that are given to PHD candidates. Anyway all PRC chaps who renounce their citizenship are allowed to reclaim it back. This is applicable only once. But having spent 10 years here and with a 15 year kid, it difficult to go back.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal

Crux of the issue is :
FTs come to Singapore and take away jobs meant for citizens.
Now FTs boss fire FTs workers and retain Singapore workers.
FT bosses are so unfair - they fire their own countrymen and hire Singaporeans instead.
FTs from India and China are so smart to give up citizenship of a BIG country to become citizen of a tiny island.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal

Please give up your Singapore citizenship and be FT la.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

this new Ph.D never look at his compatriot Dr Cai Ming Jie ah? Dr Cai go drive taxi you know?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

I feel sorry for him but I am also amazed that he was given citizenship despite not having a proper permanent job.

somebody wanted 20% of the researchers in Singapore to be locals (citizens) by 2015 or something. can't remember who :p:p:p

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singkies don't want to do research. What to do?

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

lianbeng welcomes him to real Singapore uniquely Singapore!:biggrin:still can pack up n balek kampong if buay song lah.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I feel sorry for him but I am also amazed that he was given citizenship despite not having a proper permanent job. It was research positions that are given to PHD candidates. Anyway all PRC chaps who renounce their citizenship are allowed to reclaim it back. This is applicable only once. But having spent 10 years here and with a 15 year kid, it difficult to go back.

hi there

1. bro, what's there to feel sorry for such specimen?
2. honest, from the article, you can visualize the guy in question is no easy character hoh.
3. employment contracts prematurely terminated twice speaks volume!
4. he has two options.
5. drive a cab or bedok reservoir!
6. such specimen shall go to some greener pasture too.

Jlokta

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Sinkie citizenship are given out as cheaply as pang sai paper at coffeeshop.

No surprise that this Tiong can get a citizenship without a proper job.

Capano2121

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sinkie citizenship are given out as cheaply as pang sai paper at coffeeshop.

No surprise that this Tiong can get a citizenship without a proper job.

Coffeeshop don't give pang sai chua lah! You have to buy tissue from counter lah! Citizenships are given out like used tampons! Take it & shaft it if you chose so!

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal

Anyway all PRC chaps who renounce their citizenship are allowed to reclaim it back. This is applicable only once.
hahaha....my idol bullshitting again......
my friend wanted to go back to becum China citizen after renouncing PRC citizenship (once) but was rejected......must ask him to consult the cockeral.......lol.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Do agree, twice seems suspect. I am more amazed why the citizenship.

hi there

1. bro, what's there to feel sorry for such specimen?
2. honest, from the article, you can visualize the guy in question is no easy character hoh.
3. employment contracts prematurely terminated twice speaks volume!
4. he has two options.
5. drive a cab or bedok reservoir!
6. such specimen shall go to some greener pasture too.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset

Do agree, twice seems suspect. I am more amazed why the citizenship.

when it's hard to get locals to get PhDs, get the PhDs to get citizenship! :p:p:p