• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Potong Pasir Appeal

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the basis for their petition

The Potong Pasir Petition – and the Parliamentary Act. Share and repost to all those who are interested in this matter.
.by Karen Teoh on Sunday, May 8, 2011 at 5:25pm.Friends,

Many of you would have received the call to go down to Potong Pasir to sign a petition. More than a few of you, like me, have also asked “Why?” and how will this help.

Now, some of you may have seen my earlier notes about the Tanjong Pagar GRC walkover, so I hope you will take my word for it that I know enough about the Parliamentary Elections Act (Cap 218) (“the PE Act”) to be able to explain the why – and what the SPP are trying to do.

Please read this article by Alex Au in which the basis of counting is set out.

http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/05/08/counting-agent-me/

All further references hereunder are to sections are under the PE Act. Also, all opinions on the law remain mine and should not be taken as advice as I am not a qualified person under the Legal Professions Act.

Now that we've got the disclaimers out of the way, on to what you all want to know.

SPP’s legal case, if it goes forward, would be an application by Originating Summons under s 90(b) by named plaintiffs, foremost of would be Lina Chiam under s 93(b), as well as Potong Pasir voters under s 90(a). Affidavits would need also be drafted adducing evidence that the Returning Officers judgment of the intention on the mark under s 50(2) is incorrect. It would also help to give evidence at the Polling stations by Poling agents that no assistance was given to voters about voting instructions under schedule 2 of the Act.

Under s 50(4) of the Act on rejection of papers is beyond the purview of the Election judge – so only the correctness of the papers attributed to each side, whether rightly or wrongly and counted under s 50(2) of the Act is at issue. Depending on the finding the judge takes, either 1 vote counted wrongly is sufficient – or all votes counted would lead to a different result, the Elections judge could void the election under s94(a), return the correct candidate to power s 94(c) and s 94(d) – scrutinize the votes. I think s 94(d) and s 94(c) together are rather more sensible – but as a matter of course, all remedies will be added to the pleadings for the Originating Summons.

In any case, it would be a win for Singaporeans for us to lay down the law so that Returning Officials of the ilk described by Alex Au in the link above are no longer given any latitude. I dread to think what happened in the close constituencies for WP.

Based on my experience with the preliminaries of getting such a petition together, SPP and Ms Chiam have 21 days from today, May 8 to file a petition as an originating summons under s 97. An estimate of costs given to me for the Tanjong Pagar application if the facts had been in our favour were that a 1 day trial for an OS would cost about $25K in court costs and filing fees, and a further $30-50K in lawyers fees. It would have come in at a lower end of the spectrum because I was prepared to do a fair bit of the work in drafting affidavits. These costs will have to be paid for by SPP – or the public.

If this case should go through, I think that the SDP, WP, Reform Party and NSP should all contribute minimum sums of at least $5,000 – for the simple reason that tying down the Returning Officers discretion in deciding against them is in the oppositions favour, especially with the number of close fights in SMC's this election - though none so close as Ms Chiams.

But don’t just take my word for it – read the statute for yourself.

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_vers...Y+ELECTIONS+ACT &date=latest&method=part&sl=1

I also am not quite sure why SPP isn’t just running an online petition that people can sign or indicate assent online? If anyone from the SPP is reading this, we’d be quite happy to let you have access to the Tanjong Pagar Groups online petitioner sign up. We’ve paid for it already – you might as well have it.

On a final note to all of you who have taken the time to read this - a democracy is about reading things for yourself then making up your mind – not blindly doing as told – no matter who tells you what to do – ruling party OR opposition. We are free citizens of Singapore and we have paid the price to exercise our rights – so please use them.

Votes to be rejected

50. —(1) The Returning Officer shall reject as invalid the following ballot papers only, namely, any ballot paper —

(a) which does not bear the complete official mark for the authentication of ballot papers or is not initialled by the presiding officer;

(b) on which votes are given for more than one candidate or group of candidates;

(c) on which anything is written or marked by which the voter can be identified except the printed number on the back;

(d) which is unmarked; or

(e) which is void for uncertainty.

[10/88; 18/99]

(2) Where the Returning Officer is satisfied that any mark made on a ballot paper clearly indicates the intention of the voter and the candidate or group of candidates for whom he gives his vote, the Returning Officer shall not reject the ballot paper on the ground solely that it has not been marked in all respects in accordance with the directions given for the guidance of voters under this Act.

[10/88]

(3) Before rejecting a ballot paper, the Returning Officer shall show it to each candidate or his counting agent if present and hear his views thereon, taking all proper precautions to prevent any person from seeing the number printed on the back of the paper.

(4) The decision of the Returning Officer whether or not any ballot paper shall be rejected shall be final and shall not be questioned on an application under section 90.

[42/2005]

(2) Where the Returning Officer is satisfied that any mark made on a ballot paper clearly indicates the intention of the voter and the candidate or group of candidates for whom he gives his vote, the Returning Officer shall not reject the ballot paper on the ground solely that it has not been marked in all respects in accordance with the directions given for the guidance of voters under this Act.

[10/88]

Appointment and powers of Election Judge

92. —(1) Every application under section 90 shall be heard by the Chief Justice or by a Judge of the Supreme Court nominated by the Chief Justice for the purpose.

[42/2005]

(2) The Chief Justice or the Judge so nominated is referred to in this Act as the Election Judge.

(3) Witnesses shall be subpoenaed and sworn in the same manner as nearly as circumstances admit as in a trial by the High Court in the exercise of its original civil jurisdiction and shall be subject to the same penalties for the giving of false evidence.

(4) On the hearing of an application under section 90, the Election Judge may, by order under his hand, compel the attendance of any person as a witness who appears to him to have been concerned in the election to which the application refers.

[42/2005]

(5) Any person refusing to obey the order of the Election Judge under subsection (4) shall be guilty of contempt of court.

(6) The Election Judge may examine any witness so compelled to attend or any person in court, although the witness is not called and examined by any party to the application.

[42/2005]

(7) After the examination of a witness by the Election Judge, the witness may be cross-examined by or on behalf of the applicant and the respondent, or either of them.

[42/2005]

(8) The Election Judge shall be attended on the hearing of an application under section 90 in the same manner as if he were a Judge of the High Court.

[16/93; 42/2005]

(9) Unless otherwise ordered by the Chief Justice, all interlocutory matters in connection with an application under section 90 may be dealt with and decided by any Judge of the High Court.

[16/93; 42/2005]

Who may make application under section 90

93. An application under section 90 may be made to the Supreme Court by any one or more of the following persons:

(a) some person who voted or had a right to vote at the election to which the application relates;

(b) some person claiming to have had a right to be returned or elected at the election;

(c) some person alleging himself to have been a candidate at the election.

[42/2005]

Relief which may be claimed

94. All or any of the following reliefs to which the applicant may be entitled may be claimed in an application under section 90:

(a) a declaration that the election is void;

(b) a declaration that the return of the person elected was undue;

(c) a declaration that any candidate was duly elected and ought to have been returned;

(d) where the seat is claimed for an unsuccessful candidate on the ground that he or the group of candidates to which he belongs had a majority of lawful votes, a scrutiny.

[10/88; 42/2005]

Certificate of Election Judge as to validity of election

95. —(1) At the conclusion of the hearing of an application under section 90, the Election Judge shall determine whether the Member whose return or election is complained of, or any other and what person, was duly returned or elected, or whether the election was void, and shall certify such determination to the President.

[42/2005]

(2) Upon the certificate being given under subsection (1), the determination shall be final; and the return shall be confirmed or altered, or the President shall within one month of the determination, by notice in the Gazette, order the holding of an election in the electoral division concerned, as the case may require, in accordance with the certificate.

[10/88]

(3) Where the election of any Member for a group representation constituency is determined by the Election Judge under subsection (1) to be void, the election of the other Members for that constituency shall be deemed to be void.

[10/88; 9/91]

[42/2005]

Procedure and practice on applications under section 90

100. —(1) The procedure and practice on applications under section 90 shall be regulated by rules which may be made by the Rules Committee constituted and appointed under section 80 of the Supreme Court of Judicature Act (Cap. 322).

[42/2005]

(2) The Rules contained in the Fourth Schedule shall be deemed to have been made under the powers conferred by subsection (1) and shall be amendable by rules made under that subsection.

[21/91; 42/2005]

SECOND SCHEDULE

Section 42(7)

PARLIAMENTARY ELECTIONS ACT

(CHAPTER 218)

DIRECTIONS FOR GUIDANCE OF VOTERS IN VOTING

1. The voter may vote for one candidate or, if the electoral division is a group representation constituency, one group of candidates.

2. The voter has one vote.

3. The voter will go into the place reserved for the marking of ballot papers and mark a cross in the space provided for the purpose on the right hand side of the ballot paper opposite the name of the candidate or, if the electoral division is a group representation constituency, the names of the group of candidates, for which he votes, thus, X.

4. The voter will then fold up the ballot paper so as to show the official mark on the back, and without showing the front of the paper to any person, show the official mark on the back to the presiding officer, put the paper into the ballot box and immediately leave the polling station.

5. If the voter inadvertently spoils a ballot paper, he can return it to the presiding officer who will, if satisfied of such inadvertence, give him another paper.

6. If the voter votes for more than one candidate or, if the electoral division is a group representation constituency, more than one group of candidates, on any ballot paper, his ballot paper will be void and will not be counted.

7. If the voter places any mark on the ballot paper by which he may afterwards be identified, his ballot paper will be void and will not be counted.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Only less than 1 % different need to recount if there any objection.
More than 1% mojority is wasting time unless. The polling agent is currupted.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have posted the reasons for the peititon which was initiated by Karen Teoh.

They are relying on Alec Au's article but bear in mind that his observation and those of his friends do not mention PP. It also states that practice was consistent for all parties.

The key issue is people writing derogatory statements on parties that they have not been happy with but are considered marked or a vote to the party.

If this succeeds, my personal view is that ballot papers will be recounted and there will be more spoilt votes rather than more votes for SPP.

Let watch and see. It is worth a try.
Scroobal, can you clarify this Please?

http://www.elections.gov.sg/pdf/PEC_handbook.pdf#zoom=100

as per section 8.1

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Have posted the reasons for the peititon which was initiated by Karen Teoh.

They are relying on Alec Au's article but bear in mind that his observation and those of his friends do not mention PP. It also states that practice was consistent for all parties.

The key issue is people writing derogatory statements on parties that they have not been happy with but are considered marked or a vote to the party.

If this succeeds, my personal view is that ballot papers will be recounted and there will be more spoilt votes rather than more votes for SPP.

Let watch and see. It is worth a try.

I personally do not really think it holds a lot of water after reading section 8.1, however SPP thinks that Lina Chiam stands a chance. Personally i think either a recount would be fairer to both Sitoh and Mrs. Chiam, whatever the results come out of this recount be sure that PP will be become divided onwards.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
I personally do not really think it holds a lot of water after reading section 8.1, however SPP thinks that Lina Chiam stands a chance. Personally i think either a recount would be fairer to both Sitoh and Mrs. Chiam, whatever the results come out of this recount be sure that PP will be become divided onwards.

hahaha...don't think so SPP is behind this.....in fact CST said that he don't think there is legal ground.....he added that he should know becos he is a lawyer.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hahaha...don't think so SPP is behind this.....in fact CST said that he don't think there is legal ground.....he added that he should know becos he is a lawyer.

i'm really really not sure either, this is either a grassroot movement that sprang on its own or from SPP members.

Rimururu

Alfrescian
Loyal
i'm really really not sure either, this is either a grassroot movement that sprang on its own or from SPP members.

It is definitely not from Chiam. He is not that kind of person that is a sore loser. He has already mentioned that he will be back. I think this is started by a pro-SPP 'militant'.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
They key point is that they have to adduce evidence in relation to PP and not what happened in other polling stations. I don't think this will clear the first hurdle.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Potong Pasir is history liao...5 yrs later, it will be part of TP-Bishan GRC...

now the residents of PP will be in for a shock - they will have their CSC fees hiked....congrats.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i tink the pp residents should ask their neighbours why they can betray cst juz for the upgrade.

pp will either kana bulldoze or merge into bishan-toa payoh grc.

im shock.

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
WE did not betray for upgrading,,,,,,,,,,,,

CST betrayed US by sending Auntie Lina,,,,,,,

if not for CST walking with Lina Chia during walkabouts and sympathy votes, the margin would have been MUCH bigger

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
WE did not betray for upgrading,,,,,,,,,,,,

CST betrayed US by sending Auntie Lina,,,,,,,

if not for CST walking with Lina Chia during walkabouts and sympathy votes, the margin would have been MUCH bigger

Actually if it was Benjamin Pwee, would PP be much more comfortable?

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Benjamin would have won PP hands down, no doubt about it,,,,,,,,, having seen Auntie on CNA and Benjamin at rallies, Ben is much better

Many of us could not bear to see Auntie Chiam getting lost in the parliament.....

We would hate to compare to the silent dumb PAP MPs but as an opposition, much more is required to be seen to perform.

Also we are not hadap for upgrading,,,,,,,

It was also another double or nothing in most people mind,,,,,, 87-0 or more than Hougang/PP MPs VS 85 PAP MPs which is the worst scenario,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ThePlen

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/continue-fight-potong-pasir-013039376.html

‘I will continue to fight for Potong Pasir’

Although she may have lost, Singapore People's Party (SPP) candidate for Potong Pasir Lina Chiam says she's determined to win back the constituency in the next election.

IMAG0175.jpg

Addressing a crowd of about 100 supporters and residents who had gathered at Potong Pasir before setting off on "thank you" parade with SPP candidates on Sunday afternoon, Lina attributed the presence of new citizens as one of the reasons for her narrow loss in the polls, where her PAP rival Sitoh Yi Pin won by a mere 114 votes.

"This election is a very close fight and we had to do recounting; I believe that my loss is not because of you all not voting for me," said the wife of opposition stalwart Chiam See Tong.

"I think it's because of the new citizens and also because of the upgrading of the flat which some of these old folks are afraid of and they were told they might not get their upgrading," she added.

She said the building of new condominiums in the constituency is also a sign of changing demographics in her ward. But unperturbed, she stressed she will continue to "fight" for Potong Pasir.

"I will not give up and will continue fighting for Potong Pasir, and my team will help me to make it better for Potong Pasir, intellectually and municipally. We shall be back; I shall return," she said.

Her husband, Chiam, was also positive in defeat, saying that his team contesting in the Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC managed to secure a commendable number of votes against the incumbent People's Action Party (PAP) team led by Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng.

Considering that he had only assembled the team one month ahead of the general election. he said, "Although we have lost, we have won 43 per cent of the votes, so it is right that we thank all those people who have voted for us. Although we have not gained any seats in parliament, we've done quite well."

He also declined to discuss whether his wife will take up the Non-Constituency Member of Parliament (NCMP) seat, however, saying that it depends on her and the decision by the party's central executive committee. Losing candidates with the highest numbers of percentage votes are eligible to take up the nine available NCMP seats in parliament, albeit with limited voting rights.

As for himself, Chiam -- who for the first time in 27 years will not have a seat in Parliament -- said he will "never surrender" and will participate in the next election if his health permits.

"Next time we will do better. We shall never surrender. In the end, we shall win the battle, we shall conquer. Thank you everybody for coming," he told a gathering crowd who had come to say goodbye to him.

While supporters of the SPP have gone as far as to start a petition calling for a by-election, Chiam dismissed the validity of the petition, saying it has no grounds.

"I am a lawyer and I should know the law. There's no provision inside the case for a by-election, so I don't know how they are going to do it," he said of the petition which has about 2,000 signatures.

As the Chiams and their party members travelled from Potong Pasir to Lorong 8 Toa Payoh, they were given a heroes' welcome.

IMAG0179.jpg

Residents swarmed around the truck carrying the SPP team, some offering their condolences for the loss of Potong Pasir. Others simply came forward to shake hands with the man they hailed an "inspiration".

One of them was Potong Pasir resident Maz Ahmad. While expressing support for the Chiams, tears welled up in her eyes.

"I feel sad (about the SPP's loss). I waited for the results until 3am. We need somebody who can voice out issues concerning Singaporeans, like the increasing number of foreigners," she said.

Maz, who said she has been a faithful supporter of Chiam, however, said his team still has to work harder.

"They can do better; they just have to work harder. They lost Bishan maybe because the residents are not familiar with some members of the team," she added.

34-year-old B. Venkatesh Sathish, who has lived in Potong Pasir for the past 27 years, told told Yahoo! Singapore he felt particularly emotional at the news of Chiam's departure because he had grown up in the ward under Chiam's care.

"He is an outstanding guy, who serves without complaint," he said.

Shedding tears, he added, "He's like a father to me... I'm here to say goodbye to him, and to thank him for the last 27 years."

For supporter Adeline Sin, 35, who stays in Chua Chu Kang, she thought nothing of the distance travelled as long as she got to meet her "inspiration".

"I first watched him at a rally many years back. I felt he did a lot of things for us in Singapore," said Sin, who works as a purchaser. "He inspired me a lot, a great man," she added.

"I am very sad, they lost only by 114 votes, I don't understand. But I am unable to judge because I don't live in the constituency."

Another resident, 36-year-old Gene Lim, also expressed shock over the defeats suffered by the Chiams, adding that residents in Potong Pasir have always been unfazed by the HDB upgrading "carrots" dangled by the PAP.

"We didn't expect the Chiams to lose, it's not the matter whether it's Lina or Chiam contesting in Potong Pasir. We expected Lina to win, even if by a small margin," he said.

loloba

Alfrescian
Loyal
Potong Pasir Residents are very wise, good move, now the whole world knows that the whole of Potong Pasir would be upgraded, 1st on the queque no further excuse, the 80 million promised in the last election.

Next, insist that they want CHIAM SEE TONG, after all CST is with them for the last 27 years. Is like a mum who after giving birth to the child send her for adoption and later realised that she cannot live without that child.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Potong Pasir Residents are very wise, good move, now the whole world knows that the whole of Potong Pasir would be upgraded, 1st on the queque no further excuse, the 80 million promised in the last election.

Next, insist that they want CHIAM SEE TONG, after all CST is with them for the last 27 years. Is like a mum who after giving birth to the child send her for adoption and later realised that she cannot live without that child.

I can see the PAP IB is panicking. It does not work. The Pandora's box is open and the more tactics are used the stronger the backlash response.