• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Possible Singapores, beyond Lee Kuan Yew

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal
By Loh Chee Kong, TODAY | Posted: 21 April 2009 0632 hrs

SINGAPORE: A People's Action Party (PAP) split by internal schisms. Future leaders bereft of the "huge political legitimacy" that could be gained from endorsement by the man with unmatched moral and historical authority. These are some of the leadership fates that could befall a post–Lee Kuan Yew Singapore, as hotelier Ho Kwon Ping sees it.

And such "imponderable" scenarios could help explain why a "system of elders" is now taking shape in the political landscape.

"Perhaps it is to restrain factionalism, arbitrate disagreements, groom and assess future leaders, that the positions of senior minister and minister mentor have been institutionalised," said Mr Ho, who feels the PAP's "extraordinary cohesion" over five decades has owed much to "the forceful personality of Lee Kuan Yew".

Mr Ho, who is also MediaCorp chairman, was speaking on Monday alongside Professor Kishore Mahbubani at a seminar organised by Nanyang Technological University's Asian Journalism Fellowship programme. The topic? "Singapore Beyond Lee Kuan Yew: Institutionalising the Singapore Way".

Of this future, Prof Mahbubani, who Dean of the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, would not rule out a "significant reversal" of Mr Lee's legacy, or the rise of a stronger Opposition usurping the one dominant party system – though he gave each scenario only a "one-sixth probability".

While a "smooth and seamless transition" was a two-thirds likelihood, Prof Mahbubani harked back to the words of former Deputy Prime Minister Goh Keng Swee, after the PAP's long monopoly of parliament was broken in 1981. "As (Dr Goh) has wisely told us, failure happens when we fail to consider the possibility of failure."

So, for instance in the unlikely event of a strong opposition arising, would Mr Lee's legacy be weakened? In fact, the "sharper political debates" arising could make Singaporeans more aware of the "precious political legacy they have enjoyed", said Prof Mahbabuni.

On the other hand, as has happened in South Korea and Taiwan, it could also lead to the old legacies being quickly lost and forgotten by the new generation. "I am frequently shocked when I meet younger Singaporeans who have never heard of Dr Goh," he said.

Both speakers were not alone in expressing uncertainty over how Singapore's future, sans Mr Lee, would play out. During the Q&A session, which was off-the-record, the audience raised concerns such as how the country would be deprived of its most astute and influential critic – and whether Mr Lee's legacy, or indeed Singapore, could unravel.

While Mr Lee's retirement would "create a huge political vacuum", Prof Mahbubani believes Singapore has "done a lot" to protect his legacy, such as instilling a deep culture of meritocracy and incorruptibility.

And Mr Ho had no doubts Singaporeans could "muddle their way through", even if the PAP's leadership renewal "fails to deliver what it has done for the past 50 years".

Mr Lee's greatest legacy, he said, "is that the Singapore which he so passionately shaped will outlive not only him, but even his own party, should that ever come to pass".

The reason: In his single most critical imperative – nation building – Mr Lee has largely succeeded, said Mr Ho, who has found young Singaporeans to own a strong sense of involvement and ownership in the country, contrary to stereotype.

"Equally contrary to some people's wishful thinking, there is not likely to be dramatic, broad-brush social or political liberalisation," said Mr Ho. "This is not a pent up society waiting for the demise of the strongman in order to overturn highly unpopular laws."

Rather, the government has the support of the politically-vital heartland in its pragmatic, incremental approach to change, even as it responds to tomorrow's generation, he said.

- TODAY/so

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Perhaps it is to restrain factionalism, arbitrate disagreements, groom and assess future leaders, that the positions of senior minister and minister mentor have been institutionalised," said Mr Ho, who feels the PAP's "extraordinary cohesion" over five decades has owed much to "the forceful personality of Lee Kuan Yew".

What it should have read :

"It is to stifle opposition, silence dissidents, institute a dynasty culture, that the positions of SM and MM have been created and paid for by Singapore taxpayers," said Mr Ho, who feels the PAP's "extraordinary cohesion" over five decades has owed much to the "iron-fisted ruling of Lee Kuan Yew, fat paychecks, and the fact that even idiots can be a minister."

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
THe Alternative Parties have to take out the strong hold of the pappies - Wong CUNT Sing and Teo Chee Hean. I will also include Vivienne. These are the only people willing to use the army and police to protect the pappies interest even against democracy.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rather, the government has the support of the politically-vital heartland in its pragmatic, incremental approach to change, even as it responds to tomorrow's generation, he said.

What I find interesting is the sleigh of words, substituting 'the government' for 'the PAP', which is far more relevant.

The government will always exist, Lee Kuan Yew or no Lee Kuan Yew. But the PAP may not.

Nonetheless that was an interesting article.

One thing i know, the system of a group of elders is only a barrier, not neccessarily insurmountable, to party factionalism.

Given a strong enough force (read: desire to be Prime Minister), the party may well split.

The current opposition will remain as what they are - ineffective.

But the more effective opposition now residing abroad may well return.

In my opinion, the emergence of a three-party state (two from the PAP and one from returning oppositions).

MentisMortis

Alfrescian
Loyal
While a "smooth and seamless transition" was a two-thirds likelihood, Prof Mahbubani harked back to the words of former Deputy Prime Minister Goh Keng Swee, after the PAP's long monopoly of parliament was broken in 1981. "As (Dr Goh) has wisely told us, failure happens when we fail to consider the possibility of failure."

So, for instance in the unlikely event of a strong opposition arising, would Mr Lee's legacy be weakened? In fact, the "sharper political debates" arising could make Singaporeans more aware of the "precious political legacy they have enjoyed", said Prof Mahbabuni.

- TODAY/so

Scoop,

What I have highlighted from the article is a rare insight into the PAP groupthought regime. To the PAP, failure is to allow some semblence of democracy, when their iron grip on elections is somehow weakened by the choice of the electorate it's a failure for them.

Goh Keng Swee was one of the many that had, in their years in power, tried and succeeded in preventing a true democracy from ever taking shape in SG. Both he and LKY had their hands in the arrests of many dissenters and activists and even had some of their good "friends" removed from society because they were deemed radicals.

But now we have the ultimate lap dog Mahbubani, glorifying a despotic notion that modern SG can do without.

I do hope the so called predictions by MediaCrap's CEO and hotelier Ho do come true since it looks like only the PAP can destroy the PAP.

What are Sgeans waiting for? Hand them their uppermost failure come the next GE and see what a new govt that is not motivated by greed and the need to monopolise everything can actually do.

But until then I am not going to take any chances, I will still carry out my plans for my own escape from "paradise".

Cheers,

MentisMortis

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal
What I have highlighted from the article is a rare insight into the PAP groupthought regime. To the PAP, failure is to allow some semblence of democracy, when their iron grip on elections is somehow weakened by the choice of the electorate it's a failure for them.

MentisMortis, et al,

Yes, that is so true - it is telling of their policy when they regard anything less than complete domination as a 'failure'.

Then again, that was in those days, when Singapore was barely out of infancy, and even more, just barely learnt to walk.

In your opinion, does this particular policy still hold true for them? Would, let's say, a one-third Opposition minority in Parliament, would still be considered as a failure for PAP?

I understand if it's LKY's OCD that led to this, but how much of this thinking actually hold sway amongst the PAP cadre, especially the younger ones?

Truly, it'll be interesting to see what Singapore will be like after LKY. Will there be an unstoppable tide of long-repressed ideas, or will Singaporeans still choose to remain apathetic as I see them now.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the PAP were to disappear overnight, sinkees will still vote for another PAP-style govt. The real problem of sinkapore is not PAP, it's the people. Sinkees don't even understand the most basics of democracy and civil society. A democracy will destroy sinkapore - and as Jackie Chan said, we need to be controlled.

jw5

Loyal
Life will go on.
Perhaps Singapore will be a better place - kinder, gentler, less harsh.
Remains to be seen.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Scoop,

But until then I am not going to take any chances, I will still carry out my plans for my own escape from "paradise".

Cheers,

MentisMortis

Hi MM, had been a while, many of the people I grow up with from the 'village', had 'escaped' from 'paradise'.....fufilled their 'obligations' ( NS salvery), hyad their education overseas and left....could have follwoed, had my family not say, NO!,anyway...I can not turn the clock back...

You will be escaping from the 'paradise'..where?:p

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
What it should have read :

"It is to stifle opposition, silence dissidents, institute a dynasty culture, that the positions of SM and MM have been created and paid for by Singapore taxpayers," said Mr Ho, who feels the PAP's "extraordinary cohesion" over five decades has owed much to the "iron-fisted ruling of Lee Kuan Yew, fat paychecks, and the fact that even idiots can be a minister."

yeah the result of this...

all sinkies get developing countries wages and living in a "developed" country consumption and spending.

uneven distribution of wealth, with resulted in the widening of the GINI index, while some bugger at DBS managed to hold scores of directorships...:biggrin:

if local cheap labour are insufficient, bring in more cheap labours from other countries.