• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Population growth: 2 million more people for Perth

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Which has translated into a 10-30% price increase in food prices in European nations such as the UK. In the past 3 years while the US has enjoyed near deflationary price pressures prices have been increasing elsewhere. Some food staples have increased 50% in Europe in the last 3 years. Look at prices in Singapore as well as Australia during the last 3 years and compare them to American prices. We are all paying the price while America struggles to recover. Thier consumers are indeed the luckiest in the world."

Australia is the 3rd cheapest place to buy an ipad other than US and Canada.
Prior the crisis US has always been the heaven for consumers with its massive population and high consumer consumption (mostly via credit anyway) which Australia or SG will never match, crisis or not. At the moment Americans are more worry about losing their jobs , mortgage repayment, and losing value of their property than the prices of everyday goods. U can control how much you spend, but you can't control decision make by others which ultimately affect your life.

China is the next USA, already many chinese firms are buying factories in US turning them into Chinese companies. Welcome to the Chinese revolution and the downfall of America!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Which has translated into a 10-30% price increase in food prices in European nations such as the UK. In the past 3 years while the US has enjoyed near deflationary price pressures prices have been increasing elsewhere. Some food staples have increased 50% in Europe in the last 3 years. Look at prices in Singapore as well as Australia during the last 3 years and compare them to American prices. We are all paying the price while America struggles to recover. Thier consumers are indeed the luckiest in the world."
I cannot verify the data from AussiePrick.
But looking at cheap prices is not my economics. I prefer to go with purchasing power indices.

Australia is the 3rd cheapest place to buy an ipad other than US and Canada.
Prior the crisis US has always been the heaven for consumers with its massive population and high consumer consumption (mostly via credit anyway) which Australia or SG will never match, crisis or not. At the moment Americans are more worry about losing their jobs , mortgage repayment, and losing value of their property than the prices of everyday goods. U can control how much you spend, but you can't control decision make by others which ultimately affect your life.
Americans have been suffering from voodoo economics for too long. It got worse after 1973 after America went off the gold standard.

In one of the worst rubbish economics of its days, in 1971, they went for the Smithsonian Agreement, which ended horribly for the Americans.

In the 20th century, America has numerous times proven to be financially incompetent, there is even a period when Americans cannot buy gold for personal investment because they are going bankrupt.

China is the next USA, already many chinese firms are buying factories in US turning them into Chinese companies. Welcome to the Chinese revolution and the downfall of America!

Will America change the rules of the game again? America is known to change rules of the world money system - The first time was taking advantages of their own people by establishing a privately owned Central bank, then they did the same to force the British pound off as a major key world currency, then changing the rules when they are unable to pay the Europeans.

The American snake-oil economists, with their British counterparts, are responsible for world inflation that cause the US$ to devalue from $33/oz of gold to the current $1220. Main street Americans are suffering.

Last edited:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
"

Oh that's certain. Americans are absorbed by poor unemployment - they are even saving again - which is virtually unheard of. Many of them are in survival mode - this is true. Concerns over job security and payment of bills is paramount right now. And the situation is not looking to improve anytime soon. Thier situation has created an excellent opportunity though.

Bu to the Singaporean looking to migrate this is ideal. To the Singaporean wishing to cash out assests and have them carry them over into a western country I just cant see a better angle. Singaporean Dollars will carry a prospective migrant very, very far right now @ 1.35 - America is on sale to Singaporeans. Incredibly cheap houses, cars, utilities, etc, etc. House prices that have fallen 40% since 2005 coupled with an exchange rate that's fallen from 1.6 to 1.35 - a Singaporean can feel like a "kid in a candy store" there.

And the situations even better for an Australian looking at the US. Oh my.

And that's the bottom line.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
I cannot verify the data from AussiePrick.
But looking at cheap prices is not my economics. I prefer to go with purchasing power indices.

That's quite funny. Singaporeans are becoming aware there are certain byproducts to decades of strong economic growth. Standards of living and lifestyles are affected. When your dollar buys less thats MORE important than having more of it. You might have noticed that yourself.

We all know what motivates Singaporeans - what motivates anyone. Why pay more when you can get it for alot less?

I love the economic situation in America - Its made it so incredibly cheap.

Maybe I'll post a list of a basket of goods consumers pay in 3 countries: Singapore, Australia, and the US.

Its the bottom line that matters.

Why live worse when you can live better for less? - And that's why the US is so fascinating.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's quite funny. Singaporeans are becoming aware there are certain byproducts to decades of strong economic growth. Standards of living and lifestyles are affected. When your dollar buys less thats MORE important than having more of it. You might have noticed that yourself.

We all know what motivates Singaporeans - what motivates anyone. Why pay more when you can get it for alot less?

I love the economic situation in America - Its made it so incredibly cheap.

Maybe I'll post a list of a basket of goods consumers pay in 3 countries: Singapore, Australia, and the US.

Why live worse when you can live better for less? - And that's why the US is so fascinating.

I think you still don't get it. Bottom line does not matter if purchasing power (nothing to do with amount of money or pricing) is not there.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think you still don't get it. Bottom line does not matter if purchasing power (nothing to do with amount of money or pricing) is not there.

But it is there.

Look at your PPP and then your current exchange rates, both nominal and real. Where's the equilibrium?

Now look at Singapore's. At 1.35 to the dollar what is the PPP and the current? Remember recent currency fluctions from 2007-2010. Is it in equilibrium? How skewed is it?

And thats just the PPP

I like relative comparisons too. That's why I do my own studies and check prices in Singapore and the US every few months - by taking the current. The US in 2010 is the cheapest its ever been for Singaporeans.

Last edited:

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh that's certain. Americans are absorbed by poor unemployment - they are even saving again - which is virtually unheard of. Many of them are in survival mode - this is true. Concerns over job security and payment of bills is paramount right now. And the situation is not looking to improve anytime soon. Thier situation has created an excellent opportunity though.

Bu to the Singaporean looking to migrate this is ideal. To the Singaporean wishing to cash out assests and have them carry them over into a western country I just cant see a better angle. Singaporean Dollars will carry a prospective migrant very, very far right now @ 1.35 - America is on sale to Singaporeans. Incredibly cheap houses, cars, utilities, etc, etc. House prices that have fallen 40% since 2005 coupled with an exchange rate that's fallen from 1.6 to 1.35 - a Singaporean can feel like a "kid in a candy store" there.

And the situations even better for an Australian looking at the US. Oh my.

And that's the bottom line.

Certainly America is on bargain now, but being sporeans their biggest concern are still job security and economy stability of the country which America is still relatively shaky. Also, green card is very hard to get and some have to wait for years to obtain one, in between he can't even leave the country or change job. i read the chinese are labouring their offsprings in US to secure a US passport for their children but its going to be looked at soon.

Australia on the other hand is a safe haven to be in. Sporeans can use Australia as the springboard to invest their stronger A$ investing in America. For the start, they could rent instead of buying a property which I agreed is overpiced now. if things don't turn up as expected, Australia is still a very good place to live, employment is strong, and being a PR no one can kick you out of the country. Applying PR to Australia is more straightforward and quicker, once u obtain one you can move in/out of the country so long u meet the PR residency requirements. Smart asians usually travel to Asia to do a big bang clothing & fashion shopping once a year so they don't spend in Aus, or even to US with the strong A$ ; even shop for a property there.

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal
Certainly America is on bargain now, but being sporeans their biggest concern are still job security and economy stability of the country which America is still relatively shaky. Also, green card is very hard to get and some have to wait for years to obtain one, in between he can't even leave the country or change job. i read the chinese are labouring their offsprings in US to secure a US passport for their children but its going to be looked at soon.

Australia on the other hand is a safe haven to be in. Sporeans can use Australia as the springboard to invest their stronger A$ investing in America. For the start, they could rent instead of buying a property which I agreed is overpiced now. if things don't turn up as expected, Australia is still a very good place to live, employment is strong, and being a PR no one can kick you out of the country. Applying PR to Australia is more straightforward and quicker, once u obtain one you can move in/out of the country so long u meet the PR residency requirements. Smart asians usually travel to Asia to do a big bang clothing & fashion shopping once a year so they don't spend in Aus, or even to US with the strong A$ ; even shop for a property there.

Your're talking about this 14th Amendment to the constitution your're born here you're citizen. Lots of women come here to give birth so Congress is going to review but changing the consitution is a major event here. Wait to see what happen here.

Job security is hard to come by these days. The wife and I are employed but right now it reminds me of SG in 1997 days when you hear about someone getting laid off and then had to change career or wait 6 months for new job etc. I remember in those days things were not rosy but as long as you were employed then you just tahan and be happy already. I feel like that I am lucky to have job when so many do not and there are perk for being employed. The good is every day people are trying very hard to get your business restaurants stores etc lots of goodies to be had competiton very intense but the bad news the media CNN etc report negative news making it seem gloomy.

And then again it make you think when some Taiwan guy comes here and buys up a mansion for 1.5M with ten bedroom and bowling alley inside and you read it in paper. WTF this Taiwan doing here? PRC too coming here and buying up. Where they get the money I dunno. Also got German and English too here buying up the real estate. I dunno what they do here.

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
And then again it make you think when some Taiwan guy comes here and buys up a mansion for 1.5M with ten bedroom and bowling alley inside and you read it in paper. WTF this Taiwan doing here? PRC too coming here and buying up. Where they get the money I dunno. Also got German and English too here buying up the real estate. I dunno what they do here.

Hey, do not get jealous.. these ppl come with a bag of gold and when they buy the whole asian community benefits.. I would welcome them with open arms and legs :wink: If I need to retire, I would depend on them to buy up my hse.

If US is really that bad, I suppose Australia is a better bet. It doesnt matter if the hse is expensive... as long as you are employed.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
The good is every day people are trying very hard to get your business restaurants stores etc lots of goodies to be had competiton very intense but the bad news the media CNN etc report negative news making it seem gloomy.

You answered your own question. Foreigners looking for the best deals can find them there not in Australia.

I am in a position to buy my dream house - so why would I choose a tiny property in Australia when I can have my dream house in America?

Thats the bottom line.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey, do not get jealous.. these ppl come with a bag of gold and when they buy the whole asian community benefits.. I would welcome them with open arms and legs :wink: If I need to retire, I would depend on them to buy up my hse..

LOL no need for you to get jealous. You too could go to the US and enjoy a better life with the best houses, cars etc instead of your house that is most expensive in world and look like concrete box. No thank you.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
LOL no need for you to get jealous. You too could go to the US and enjoy a better life with the best houses, cars etc instead of your house that is most expensive in world and look like concrete box. No thank you.

My place is a double brick cavity house. No-no.. not a modern brick veneer.. parkland by the rear and short distance to trams and supermart..

It should be expensive, otherwise, I cant retire with ease :wink:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But it is there.
The US in 2010 is the cheapest its ever been for Singaporeans.

From the point of Singapore, it is true. But you have to ask yourself, how many Singaporeans can get a Green card in USA?
Do bear in mind that the USA is in economic wasteland, the downward pressure for assets are big issues over there.
In the long run, is it still good to be in US?

Perhaps they should try NZ. (But better not, because I am going there. :biggrin:)

With the falling in real income for the average singaporeans, more and more foreign countries are out of reach. The CPF is not a lot and they can only hope that selling their over-inflated housing can work for their new life overseas. :wink:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
From the point of Singapore, it is true. But you have to ask yourself, how many Singaporeans can get a Green card in USA?
Do bear in mind that the USA is in economic wasteland, the downward pressure for assets are big issues over there.

Perhaps they should try NZ. (But better not, because I am going there. :biggrin:)

With the falling in real income for the average singaporeans, more and more foreign countries are out of reach. The CPF is not a lot and they can only hope that selling their over-inflated housing can work for their new life overseas. :wink:

This is true. The economy is improving albeit very, very slowly. This W shaped recovery is moving sideways right now and the Fed Futures now chances a 20% rate rise next June 2011. Case Shiller shows housing prices are rising very slowly in some markets. The 10 year is at 2.6% with 30 Yr. Mortages seen below 4%. In Jan 2010 the consensus was unemployment would decrease to 7% in 2011 but now its looking likely to only occur in 2012which might be too late for an Obama win. Productivity is down lately so thats good news for hiring again. We notice the Fed has decided to not intervene so everything there is very slow. The deadline for the housing stimulus closings has been extended to Sept 30. We wont know more until the last quarter.

But the real story in 2010 is still Europe. We have some people here who fully believe Greece and Spain to default but thats a real doomsday scenario.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal

Some of them have no balls to migrate. Spoke 2 a friend last nite, gave up halfway submitting the PR application saying he is concerned about getting bullied in Oz workplace and not getting the same position(mgt). Asked him further how much he's earning in SG now, since 2 years i left his salary has been stagnant with marginal increment(he's been working for more than 15 yrs and is close to 40), which is only equivalent to a Accountant about 5 yrs experience here. I can understand if he's earning a fat salary back home but its not the case; and long working hours with pathetic salary. Moreover, with his age is becoming harder and harder to migrate with the tighten emigration rules, every western country prefers younger skilled migrants (of course, who wants to derail the already rising ageing workforce and using taxpayers money to fund more ageing population)

Emigration is not for the faint-hearted; only the forward-looking, dynamic and
risk-taker can make it. I actually admire the mainland chinese more now, even they hardly speak any English, limited exposure to the western culture; they have the drive and determination to make it to the west. Even if they failed, they could go back China which has unlimited opportunities and their oversea experiences are highly valued by employers.. In Sg, you are going to be permanently raped by the perception you'll never good enough than a foreign talent , and accept mediocre salary and second class treatment. In Aus, everyone has mutual respect of one another regardless of rank, race, experience, skills, country of origin, social status. I love this country! :-)

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
risk-taker can make it. I actually admire the mainland chinese more now, even they hardly speak any English, limited exposure to the western culture; they have the drive and determination to make it to the west. Even if they failed, they could go back China which has unlimited opportunities and their oversea experiences are highly valued by employers.. In Sg, you are going to be permanently raped by the perception you'll never good enough than a foreign talent , and accept mediocre salary and second class treatment. In Aus, everyone has mutual respect of one another regardless of rank, race, experience, skills, country of origin, social status. I love this country! :-)

I tried to brainwash a few of my mates (even my sis) but many choose to remain & they are unwilling to move out of their comfort zone.
I think we are wasting our time. I rather spend it on my hobby and surfing. Sinkie education sys has been effective on its ppl but not for the rebellious residents. This is why you can see 66% voted for PAP last election.

On Sat, I am voting for Liberal (1st choice)... Family First (2) .. Green(3rd choice). Bloody hell ! Qld has "Sex Party" to vote !!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some of them have no balls to migrate. Spoke 2 a friend last nite, gave up halfway submitting the PR application saying he is concerned about getting bullied in Oz workplace and not getting the same position(mgt). Asked him further how much he's earning in SG now, since 2 years i left his salary has been stagnant with marginal increment(he's been working for more than 15 yrs and is close to 40), which is only equivalent to a Accountant about 5 yrs experience here. I can understand if he's earning a fat salary back home but its not the case; and long working hours with pathetic salary. Moreover, with his age is becoming harder and harder to migrate with the tighten emigration rules, every western country prefers younger skilled migrants (of course, who wants to derail the already rising ageing workforce and using taxpayers money to fund more ageing population)
When I probe deeper into why racism and bullying are so high in the worry list of some potential migrants? I found out that these people have ganged up to bully others before.

Either that or the people lack assertive skills, do not dare to speak out, are not conversant.

Pity!

Just because the PAP openly bully the citizens and get away with it. It sets a bad example to all, including the Singapore workplace and schools.

Over here in Australia, esp Perth, I will not try to bully anyone because even if I can get away once or twice, it will backfire on me ultimately.

Over here, news travel fast and people are more open and flexible with their employment options, eg, my supervisor may become my subordinate one day or vice versa, it is best if we keep bullying away from the workplace.

There are subtle bullying, usually by certain old boys and women. But then, these groups of people usually get themselves in trouble with their own people as well.

And consider all the hoops and fences to get things done here, I find a certain respect for Asians who tend to give less trouble.

The only asians who people tend to avoid are those who are very different and not tolerant of the mainstream type.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What is wrong with you?

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
John 8:7

"A shocking 42% of men aged 30-34 are single; of all Singaporeans who married last year, four in 10 chose foreign partners. "

Please do not trivialise these matters. They are complex matters.

I happened to know unhappy Singapore marriages with low self-esteem kids who blame themselves for their parents separation.

I also know of separate Aussie couples who remained friends and buddies.

DIVORCE/REMARRIAGE

46% of Australian marriages end in divorce. What is wrong with you people!?!

De 22:22 If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die, both the man that lay with the woman, and the woman: so shalt thou put away evil from Israel.

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal

Depends on what your bottom line is. Looking at thier prices its like 3X cheaper here. I mean take thier beer prices. A case of beer for 40 bucks?

What do they put in the beer there? Gold flakes?

There oughta be a law or an advisory out over Australia prices.