• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Penalty for acquiring another passport

londoncabby

Alfrescian
Loyal
In life, you dont really have to be serious in everything you do.. a bit of fun and foolish chat can spice up your life.. perhaps not for those who are here to learn some basic surrvival skills.. So am i really bad ? or these ppl are desperate ? Ppl came online for many reasons.. some hope to gather more info, some hope to kill time and some to destroy.. Whatever the circumstances, isn't internet for freedom-of-expression ? If 1 or 2 stop typing, then ppl will stop visiting, finally, income for SamLeong will be affected. so no win-win for all.. heehee. Therefore, I urge all mother's sons to contribute more & more.. :smile: After a long time in sammyboy, I feel that my "urge" to help other ppl has diminished.. maybe i ejaculate too many times, hahaha :smile: or maybe bcoz I've entered into Phase 2 (Phase 1 - survival series), to find someone with the same hobby, drink beer and relax.. .

As for those losers or cowards or sour grape.. it is good to share or let them know, how happy we are in Melbourne.. my pro-PAP wifey finally admitted this is the "right place" for us.. soon we will sell all our assets in SG and humtum into Australia.

So do we regret stepping out of comfort zone ? Not a chance.. &.
Are we happy ? You Bet !!

Its sad to see you and your 5 nicks all talking to yourself

So very, very sad you loser who owes alot of $$$$ to banks in Australia over failed investments

Question is will you run back to Singapore to hide?

I think so....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yep, DanMimosa. Very helpful. The others were great too. Hellboy was one of the vet of the Old SBF practically from inception.

There were quite a number of them, not quite sure who you're referring to: Fishbuff, Joshuang, DanMimosa, Hellboy, 88max or not quite sure who.

eropah

Umm, I do it.

Renewing the exit permit is supremely easy and 100% online. I have done it consistently since 2003 and have always been instantly approved.

I've already renewed my passport once, I'm going to do it again this year.

Now, granted, I completed my full course of national slavery. Also, when I left for school in America I had never worked a day in Pee Sai and I never had a CPF account. I've tried to file taxes but the IRAS website tells me I don't need to file (and my earnings are 100% foreign income anyway, which are untaxable under the SG taxation schedule).

I was in the same boat as you though the first few renewals of my exit permits were done via fax... (LOL!!), I didnt find any hassles in having my passport renewed when it was time to be renewed nor did I find it intimidating. my passport is now due for renewal in 2012 (last renewed in 2002 overseas via the Singapore high commission).

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hi,

I am not sure if this thread should be under "Emigration Matters" or this, but I thought I'd give it a go as I think there are more viewers here and secondly, theoretically, it is also about the penal code in Singapore.

Assume if someone has made up his/her mind about taking on another passport but not yet certain on whether to give up a Singapore passport. The individual need not necessary renew the Singapore passport as travelling can be done with the passport of his/her new country.

Can anyone share what is the worse case scenario that might happen to the individual should the Singapore government finds out?

For example:
- Forced renunciation (of either citizenship)
- Jail Term
- Caning, for males
- Fine, how much if so?

JT

scroobal should be able to answer this.

I am pretty sure the government will know but will close one eye on such practice. They will probably give the person a month to think whether the person want to give up one of his/her citizenship. I will be very disappointed if there is a fine or jail term involved. (It will just reinforce my decision to give up Singapore citizenship the correct one.:smile:)

Just remember that with renunciation of Singapore citizenship, the person is able to withdraw the CPF. (Does Singapore want this to happen to their Ponzi fund?)

I believe that Singapore cannot escape from the trend towards dual/multiple citizenships in this modern day and age.

(For Aussies)
Worst case for Aussies who still want the Singapore citizenship - Seek legal advice on giving up the Aussie citizenship. Because there will be a better chance of reinstating the Aussie citizenship later if the decision is made due to hardship (dependant's Medisave) or some legal terms given by the lawyer.

Last edited:

john_nyc_71

Alfrescian
Loyal
My layman's understanding of the law is that there is actually no penalty for acquiring a foreign passport. The only "penalty" is that this allows the government to take away your SG citizenship at their discretion.

I do not know what is the penalty for making a false declaration (you have to declare that you have not acquired another citizenship in several situations, eg passport renewal, overseas voting, registering a child born overseas).

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My layman's understanding of the law is that there is actually no penalty for acquiring a foreign passport. The only "penalty" is that this allows the government to take away your SG citizenship at their discretion.

I do not know what is the penalty for making a false declaration (you have to declare that you have not acquired another citizenship in several situations, eg passport renewal, overseas voting, registering a child born overseas).

(my opinion)

Just don't renew passport (save money),
don't vote (it is not worth the trouble - anyway, I know of one person whose name is still on the electoral roll)
If it is me, I will just register the child in my adopted country, just state one of the parents as Singaporean. Singapore will be happy to reclaim the lost boy/girl when they reach adult age. By then, a lot of laws would have changed.

Last edited:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
This seems to be the most important part. The last time I checked ( and that was I cant remember, maybe a few years back) the online application form, among the various statements listed under Declaration, there wasnt any that says that you are not in possession of another country's passport. But recently I have found that the bastards have added that one in now. Bros who renewed their pp before it came into effect were able to get another 10 year validity before they have to come to terms with it. So you have to be honest, as you said.

You will not get into trouble for holding dual citizenship. As long as you do not break any law or make a false statement. When you renew your singapore passport just be truthful and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Folks, don't worry so much about this dual citizneship. It is unlikely you will run into any trouble. If you do, simply hand the Singapore passport back and say goodbye and go to your adopted country. Singapore needs you more than you need it.

pwchong

Alfrescian
Loyal
as long as you don't touch your cpf... even you have 2 or more citizenship, they will leave you alone so its the money thing......

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
as long as you don't touch your cpf... even you have 2 or more citizenship, they will leave you alone so its the money thing......

If you are still under the Minimum Sum scheme, you can actually still take out the whole Ordinary Account less the Min Sum for the Retirement acct at 55. You only cannot take out yr Special acct and Medisave. You can draw out monthly streams from the RA at age 62 until all are taken out. These will be transferred to yr bank acct. So no sweat. Dual citizen or not, you still can get $$$ via yr bank acct overseas transfer.

If you are under the new CPF Life, ditto for the OA. as for the RA, you get monthly stream but lower than above scheme for life or until you mati and the balance kuasa acc to what you have specified.

The popular misconception is that you cannot withdraw any of yr CPF unless you renounce yr citizenship which is untrue. The only thing you cannot withdraw are the sums in your Retireemtn acct, Speical and Medisave. You can take out yr OA which already is the bulk. In any case, whether you are still citizen or not, you cant take out the RA, SA, and MA except on yr demise which they then go to yr estate or named beneficiary.

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
No one can be rich or retire, if they keep their CPF @ a pathetic 2.5% return.. With the rate of inflation, your CPF will be dried out in no time.. even worst, your govt imposed law to withhold your large sum of CPF for their poor venture..

Save your breath, let the brain drain continue - until such time your govt decides to wake up and recognise true blue Singaporeans contribution and abandon the FT policy :wink: There is no benefit for keeping Singapore citizenship, there are effective laws to apprehend its ppl. Fear baby ;(

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No one can be rich or retire, if they keep their CPF @ a pathetic 2.5% return.. With the rate of inflation, your CPF will be dried out in no time.. even worst, your govt imposed law to withhold your large sum of CPF for their poor venture..

Why I have taken out my CPF.
If Singaporeans are not saving, they will be in the same position as Americans.
But at the moment, Singapore are like Japan, except it is using foreigners to feed its GDP growth. Think of the CPF like the Ponzi scheme and you well get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_by_public_debt

Rank Country Financial assets
1 United States 32,020
2 Japan 11,273
3 Germany 4,672
4 United Kingdom 4,669
5 France 3,830
6 Italy 3,523
7 China 3,393
8 Canada 2,022
9 Spain 1,753
10 Australia 1,525
11 Netherlands 1,523
12 Switzerland 1,239
13 South Korea 1,200
14 Taiwan 1,183
15 Belgium 900
16 Brazil 760
17 India 651
18 Sweden 562
19 Mexico 561
20 Denmark 526
21 Austria 440
22 Portugal 390
23 Singapore 317
24 Ireland 307
25 Norway 302
26 Greece 287
27 Malaysia 265
28 Poland 231
29 Finland 202
30 Russia 198
31 Turkey 197
32 South Africa 154
33 Chile 145
34 Czech Republic 124
35 Indonesia 122
36 Thailand 119
37 Hungary 101
38 Romania 91
39 New Zealand 89
40 Colombia 82

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Why I have taken out my CPF.
Look at Singapore public debt!!!

If Singaporeans are not saving, they will be in the same position as Americans.
But at the moment, Singapore are like Japan, except it is using foreigners to feed its GDP growth. Think of the CPF like the Ponzi scheme and you well get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_by_public_debt

Rank Country % of GDP[1] Date Continent
1 Japan 225.80 2010 est. Asia
2 Saint Kitts and Nevis 185.00 2009 est. North America
3 Lebanon 150.70 2010 est. Asia
4 Zimbabwe 149.00 2010 est. Africa
5 Greece 144.00 2010 est. Europe
6 Iceland 123.80 2010 est. Europe
7 Jamaica 123.20 2010 est. North America
8 Italy 118.10 2010 est. Europe
9 Singapore 102.40 2010 est. Asia
10 Belgium 98.60 2010 est. Europe

But on the bright side, the debt is projected to decrease ......
Country 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016
Singapore 93.651 91.262 88.45 86.136 83.852 82.872

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, 3 cheers for withdrawing our CPF ! Without it, I can forget about selling chickens & ducks.

I have to praise them for setting up the CPF scheme.. As for the recent rule to withhold our CPF ? PUI ! they can kiss my shorts :smile:

Last edited:

GoldenPeriod

Alfrescian
Loyal
So let me get this straight, hypothetically speaking :biggrin:

If i have a foreign passport and when i go back to Singapore, I simply buy the air ticket and enter customs on my Sinkie passport and when I get back to the EU, i flash my EU passport. Correct?

How about if I transit a 3rd country, say China using my Eu passport, before entering Singapore? Will Sinkie customs say HOw come no chinese stamp on sinkie passport?

Any advice? How do you guys navigate this?

pwchong

Alfrescian
Loyal
just use your sing passport and go thru the machine.. thumb print and passport valid... boink the gate opens !!!!

john_nyc_71

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think they check. It's very difficult for them to check even if they wanted to anyway. Not every country stamps your passport these days. For example, many countries (UK, HK) now have electronic entry using thumbprint or iris scan. Another example, if you have a US green card, you do not need to even show your passport to enter the US, or you can enter the US using a re-entry permit and have the stamp there.

citizen2116

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scroobal
If d govt grants ur extension of passport, would there be a fine and if so, will this make ur police report for good behaviour tarnish?The job that I hold at times request for a good conduct report.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, I am assuming you are referring to an expired passport of an adult. If that is the case, it is not offence. There is no requirement to keep a valid passport even when overseas.

Scroobal
If d govt grants ur extension of passport, would there be a fine and if so, will this make ur police report for good behaviour tarnish?The job that I hold at times request for a good conduct report.