• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Paypal hacked

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would like to warn brothers here to be careful and check your Paypal accounts regularly for scams and frauds. Recently, I had a series of payments charged to my credit card thru Paypal. There were 4 streams of US$120 each and one sum of $500. The last one was for a Blackberry phone shipped to Indonesia from China charged to my paypal account which was linked to my Visa. Thus my Visa was debited to transfer to Paypal. I immediately informed Paypal that these were unauthorised transactions and within a week or so, the issue was resolved, with all debited amounts credited back to my Paypal and Visa (except for some exchange losses).

As a precaution, I have cleared my Paypal account and delinked the Visa card from it. I figure that I can always link it back if and when I wish to make a purchase over ebay.

Hope this helps to make your day.

Last edited:

Reality

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PayPal is still popular and there are forummers here asking for it to be included in the donation payment option. :biggrin:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thanks for the warning, bro.

Much appreciated.

I would like to warn brothers here to be careful and check your Paypal accounts regularly for scams and frauds. Recently, I had a series of payments charged to my credit card thru Paypal. There were 4 streams of US$120 each and one sum of $500. The last one was for a Blackberry phone shipped to Indonesia from China charged to my paypal account which was linked to my Visa. Thus my Visa was debited to transfer to Paypal. I immediately informed Paypal that these were unauthorised transactions and within a week or so, the issue was resolved, with all debited amounts credited back to my Paypal and Visa (except for some exchange losses).

As a precaution, I have cleared my Paypal account and delinked the Visa card from it. I figure that I can always link it back if and when I wish to make a purchase over ebay.

Hope this helps to make your day.

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Paypal is also being used as fraudsters/scamsters .. never used nor fully trusted paypal before..

Advertised OC's car on carsales.com.au before, got emailed about an interested party who is an "ocean scientist" who wanted to buy the car for his dad/mom.. offered to use paypal as transaction.. "scam" warning bells rang all over.. did some research online and decided not to go ahead.. 6 months later carsales sent out warning about such scams.. :rolleyes:

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
On 2 occasions when I wanted to sell some stuff online I would get a response that the party is very interested and asked for my paypal account details so that he/she could deposit funds into my account. On both occasions the party said he/she was not in Singapore at the moment but was on a luxury liner offshore.

Scams are getting more exotic... and probably all out of Africa. :biggrin:

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
TS

Why do you even need to bear the ex-change losses ( is it foreign curr ex?) when the transaction was unauthorized?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
TS

Why do you even need to bear the ex-change losses ( is it foreign curr ex?) when the transaction was unauthorized?
The diff is about $10. But you are right. I was actually wondering but now you have helped me to decide. Yes I will take up the issue again with Paypal or Visa.
Tks.

chorut

Alfrescian
Loyal
There're a few ways to protect your Paypal account from fraudulent transactions.

1. Use a defunct credit or debit card as your Primary card in Paypal. For example, if you've already a card as Primary, contact your credit card issuer to terminate the account, and leave the card as Primary in Paypal.

2. Use SMS alerts with your issuing bank, and set the threshold as $0.01 or $1, depending on which bank allow for it. So, once someone uses the credit card, it will trigger an SMS to you and you can check with your bank or Paypal, if you know that card is linked to your Paypal.

3. Never use proxy when using Paypal. Paypal has a sophisticated security feature that will protect you from fraudsters using proxies to access your Paypal account.

4. Paypal has a sophisticated fraud detection system and will alert you through your email if it detects fraud. What you may like to do is to link your email account to trigger your mobile through SMS by means of filters for Paypal related emails.

5. Finally, always change your Paypal password regularly, like after you've made a transaction, or once a month, which ever is earlier.

The above measures will be sufficient to protect you from fraudulent usage of your Paypal account.