• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP team at Jalan Besar GRC ready for battle at next GE

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember one episode. Dr. Lily Neo then was wearing her hair piled up styled, very obviously professional hairstylist styled. She was questioning something like why Medisave couldn't be used for breastscreening, as a preventive measure would be better much less costly than in an unfortunate eventuality which could have been prevented. Lim Hng Kiang replied that's not necessary. A breastscreening cost only about as much as a hairdo. Whencefrom, Lim Hng Kiang earned his nickname of Hairdo Lim. But Dr. Lily Neo let her hair down ever since. Actually for the better, she looks even younger.

So you think BG (minus 5 ranks) MS Goh will have a chance against Lily? I bet if Lily's ward were made an SMC, MS Goh will chicken out.

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS stupid enough to go up against lily neo?

she is the only pap MP i support. rest go eat shit

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
So you think BG (minus 5 ranks) MS Goh will have a chance against Lily? I bet if Lily's ward were made an SMC, MS Goh will chicken out.

I think you are getting really bo liao and far fetch.

GMS will be standing in Tampines, not jalan besar. Why are you making such nonsense comparison for? Where lily neo is standing in Kreta Ayer, and GMS didnt do anything there, how could he stand? Its tampines that count for GMS so dont try to drag in every minister or Mps you can get your hands on just to make comparison on GMS. In fact by doing so, are you trying to say that GMS is as good as any PAp minister and MP?

I know you have run out of anmo to attack CSJ and now turning your attention on GMS?

Be logical and stop making stuipid and crappy comparison. You make no sense at all.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS stupid enough to go up against lily neo?

she is the only pap MP i support. rest go eat shit

I agree with you.

Lily neo is one of the few PAP Mps that really walk the talk and does her best for the residents in her ward. Any opposition candidate going against her is a definite lost case.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know you have run out of anmo to attack CSJ and now turning your attention on GMS?

No, I think that BG (minus 5 ranks) MS Goh is coming to be as close a clown as the MONGREL who bit his masters' hands LOUDHAILER chee soon juan is.

And speaking about Tampines, I am sure that if Mah's ward became and SMC (not possible because Minister needs to anchor the GRC), MS Goh will chicken out saying he has a bone with Irene or someone else.

jw5

Loyal
Wasn't the person helming the pap team in 2006 Dr Lee Boon Yang who was a ministar then?

For those who are scratching their heads over comments about english and chinese educated and being able to to detect subtlety, you would have to differentiate between the meaning of "taking care" and "looking after".

Contrary to what some are saying, it's not because the command of english is no good. It is precisely because some of these former sap school students have a strong command of english i.e. in terms of grammar, sentence structure, vocabulary, punctuation, etc that they start micro-analysing the meaning of individual English words.
A word like "care" brings to mind chinese words like "guan xin" and "zhao gu".

That's where the entanglement starts. The guy I know who went to Catholic High and HCJC once tried to explain the difference in meaning between "brave" and "daring".
I told him that firstly, they are the same. Secondly, even if they are slightly different, it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wan Bao Come out orredi, AMK GRC and Sembawang GRC no contest. Apparently Sembawang is too 'far' for Capt GMS in the same report.

saf_ranger

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE : The ruling People's Action Party (PAP) team at Jalan Besar GRC has said it is unfazed by any opposition threat at the upcoming polls, as it has always been prepared for any challenge.

The ward has been contested in the last three general elections and more recently, the opposition National Solidarity Party has expressed interested in contesting the area.

Singapore's general election is due by February 2012.

It was a resounding vote of confidence from the Jalan Besar GRC team on their chances at the next general election as they hosted Law Minister K Shanmugam on a ministerial visit on Sunday.

The PAP, helmed by a five-member team led by Environment and Water Resources Minister Yaacob Ibrahim, won 69.3 per cent of valid votes at the last general election in 2006, when it faced off a team from the Singapore Democratic Alliance.

More recently, the opposition National Solidarity Party has been seen walking the ground.

Demographically, Jalan Besar GRC is one of the oldest wards in Singapore. Half of its residents are above the age of 50. It is also made up of many low-income Singaporeans. Ten per cent of public assistance cases in Singapore come from this area and 50 per cent of its residents live in rental housing.

So issues concerning the elderly and low-income residents dominated Sunday's dialogue session.

Observers said such issues are something that the opposition may ride on.

But its incumbent MPs remain unfazed.

MP Lily Neo said: "I do not believe in people just coming in just before elections to say 'hello' and then to disappear for the next few years and then to not see them until the next election! That is not our policy.

"Our policy is not winning elections but it is to win people's hearts to win people's confidence, to show them that over the years, we can serve them well, and they know that they have a team who they can trust, the team that will continue to serve them".

Law Minister K Shanmugam gave the team his vote of confidence after touring the constituency.

He said: "The opposition must make their calculations, and what you have is a very strong MP, an MP who is extremely well liked and who is doing a lot, and I think the residents will ask themselves, 'Can anyone else do a better job?' I think they will be hard pressed to answer that question".

National Solidarity Party's Secretary-General Goh Meng Seng said his party has been consistently present in Jalan Besar since 2001.

He said: "As far as we are concerned, we are pretty consistent on the ground. (For example), we distributed rice and daily necessities last year."

However, he added that Dr Neo will prove to be a tough challenge, describing her as "the anchor" of the PAP team there.

Mr Goh said: "I think our chances will depend on several factors....(such as) whether Lily Neo will step down, because among the MPs, I think she is the anchor, she is popular, well liked and she has - through her own compassion - done quite a bit of good things there."

One of the latest initiatives launched for residents in Dr Neo's ward is called the Family Improvement Social Help.

It aims to improve the lives of residents through work programmes.

For example, the Chinatown Social Enterprise was set up to provide career opportunities for both elderly and needy residents in the area. - CNA/ms

next comming GE Jalan Besar GRC sure to lose .and what make them think that they will win..

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello, isnt this very cheem? When the prostitute media denies him a chance to squeal, he complains of self-censorship. Now, give him a soundbite and he blew it by wrapping a sarcasm within an enigma inside a riddle! As far as the media is concerned, it will quote you to the advantage of PAP at yr expense - and it has exactly done that! So now the whole of Singapore has heard the great challenger praising the capabilities of PAP MPs thereby saving the bother of having an Opp MP in parliament.

I have never come across anybody dumber than that in politics.

Thank you GMS!

It's meant as a to sideswipe at Minister Yaacob Ibrahim, supposedly the anchor but not as compassionate and hasn't done as much in the constituency. Ironically, he himself said there's no need to take of the ward. Lily Neo is famous for taking care of her ward and representing them in Parliament, that's why she's popular. GMS acknowledges as much, surprisingly or ironically, you all go figure yourselves, after his stand on MP duty.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe I can help..

Say something like:

"Yes, the PAP MPs may be seen, but are you heard? All PAP MPs are deaf frogs; the higher they are, the deafer they become."

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Maybe I can help..

Say something like:

"Yes, the PAP MPs may be seen, but are you heard? All PAP MPs are deaf frogs; the higher they are, the deafer they become."

Kingrant,

That will not see the light of the press.

Goh Meng Seng

funnyz

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a bit disappointed by the reactions in internet. One of my elder friend was telling me that people may not understand the underlying meaning of my words and you have proven him right. Chinese educated people like my elder friend may be sharper but English educated people are just too straight forward.

Read the whole article again, especially my response. There is subtle underlying meaning and even sarcasm.

Goh Meng Seng

GMS, are you asking the voters to read between the lines? In addition, what's the crack about chinese educated and english educated people? You are talking about winning both the chinese and english educated and not forgetting about indian and malay voters too.

Sometimes the most simple answer is the best answer. I will be very surprised if you can win the next GE and a number of my friends in Tampines GRC will rather spoilt their vote than vote for someone like you.

Sometimes I just hope you will stop giving smart alec answers. Look After vs Take Care? Give me a break.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS, are you asking the voters to read between the lines? In addition, what's the crack about chinese educated and english educated people? You are talking about winning both the chinese and english educated and not forgetting about indian and malay voters too.

Sometimes the most simple answer is the best answer. I will be very surprised if you can win the next GE and a number of my friends in Tampines GRC will rather spoilt their vote than vote for someone like you.

Sometimes I just hope you will stop giving smart alec answers. Look After vs Take Care? Give me a break.

He also needs to go for image counselling.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
As they say, give him enough rope and he'll hang himself.

Anybody can put that better in Chinese?

He also needs to go for image counselling.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
And speaking about Tampines, I am sure that if Mah's ward became and SMC (not possible because Minister needs to anchor the GRC), MS Goh will chicken out saying he has a bone with Irene or someone else.

You want to justified what you are saying: its very easy.

Just petition that Tampines be made into an SMC and have Mah and Goh have a go at each other.

And then we will see who chicken out.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wasn't the person helming the pap team in 2006 Dr Lee Boon Yang who was a ministar then?

For those who are scratching their heads over comments about english and chinese educated and being able to to detect subtlety, you would have to differentiate between the meaning of "taking care" and "looking after".

Contrary to what some are saying, it's not because the command of english is no good. It is precisely because some of these former sap school students have a strong command of english i.e. in terms of grammar, sentence structure, vocabulary, punctuation, etc that they start micro-analysing the meaning of individual English words.
A word like "care" brings to mind chinese words like "guan xin" and "zhao gu".

That's where the entanglement starts. The guy I know who went to Catholic High and HCJC once tried to explain the difference in meaning between "brave" and "daring".
I told him that firstly, they are the same. Secondly, even if they are slightly different, it doesn't matter.
Good analogy. A person has to ensure that his audience is in-tune with his persona when speaking in parables else his message, however subtle, will be lost. Casting pearls before swine and gobbledygook, at best.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
You want to justified what you are saying: its very easy.

Just petition that Tampines be made into an SMC and have Mah and Goh have a go at each other.

And then we will see who chicken out.

I'm sure that if MS Goh can guarantee that the other 4 Tampines MPs will be returned uncontested, Minister Mah would be happy to take MS Goh one on one. Until then, this is purely unreasonable, expecting an anchor minister to abandon his GRC for a clown who has never even been in Parliament as an NCMP before.

Z

Zombie

there wasn't a debate on the meanings because GMS already clarified in the beginning that his only duty for the estate is to appoint the manager who will be responsible for everything "under the sun"

besides, it has nothing to do with this thread