• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAP gave everything Opposition gave nothing HDB gave nearly $2 billion in grants

hsienloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
HDB is under MND, who is led by a PAP minister. Without his okay, the perm sec and the civil service would not do the paperwork for those grants.
Please differentiate between Government and Political party. The title of the thread state PAP gave everything and you here quote a Government Minister. A Minister is appointed by the Government not by a political party.

hsienloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
We don't know! And we are not interested to know as long as PAP is doing a decent job, which currently most people have agreed. Singapore was once Third World, alongside most ASEAN countries. We weren't much better than they were in the 1960s. There is nothing wrong with comparing with ASEAN countries because they are our neighbouring countries too. Most sinkies vote for PAP because we have seen firsthand how those countries fcuked up while PAP steered Singapore into the leagues of the First World.
How can PAP be doing a decent job when you yourself have affirmed that PAP is "Sleeping or incompetent at the helm" http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?222653-The-problem-with-democracy-in-Singapore/page3

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Please differentiate between Government and Political party. The title of the thread state PAP gave everything and you here quote a Government Minister. A Minister is appointed by the Government not by a political party.

Our government is formed entirely by PAP. Our system is a winner-takes-all system where the majority party forms the entire government, while the opposition MPs, if any, just sit on the sidelines and pass sarcastic remarks during parliament. As such, the government is the PAP and the PAP is the government.

Seriously, I wonder how the opposition acts as a check and balance when they are not parliamentary members or some bigwig in the ministries. They have no access to any info and rely entirely on social media and mainstream media for their source of government info. They should have brought this up long ago, instead of making empty boasts that they are our check-and-balance when I have seen ordinary non-partisan activists doing a better job.

hsienloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our government is formed entirely by PAP. Our system is a winner-takes-all system where the majority party forms the entire government, while the opposition MPs, if any, just sit on the sidelines and pass sarcastic remarks during parliament. As such, the government is the PAP and the PAP is the government. Seriously, I wonder how the opposition acts as a check and balance when they are not parliamentary members or some bigwig in the ministries. They have no access to any info and rely entirely on social media and mainstream media for their source of government info. They should have brought this up long ago, instead of making empty boasts that they are our check-and-balance when I have seen ordinary non-partisan activists doing a better job.
But by your own flawed logic, only President Scholars are winners. http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?222715-Diploma-and-Degree-Holders Your winner-takes-all system is flawed.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
But by your own flawed logic, only President Scholars are winners. http://www.singsupplies.com/showthread.php?222715-Diploma-and-Degree-Holders Your winner-takes-all system is flawed.

The winner-takes-all system may be flawed, but it is our system here. It can only be changed if enough vote for it to be changed.

President Scholars are winners. I wish I was one. Unfortunately, I am not and I had to struggle my way in the corporate and business sector. Thankfully, I made big bucks. But I know of many people who failed and ended up driving taxi. I wouldn't say I was gifted or better than the others. I was lucky that I succeeded where many others failed. President Scholars, in contrast, are overwhelmingly successful in their careers. They may have different apex for their respective career paths, but they all generally end up in the high income earners group. They don't have to be billionaires or multi-millionaires. They just need to earn enough to live comfortably without worry for the rest of their lives. I can't say the same for many business owners, including myself. We are successful for now, but things can always change.

I have set both my kids on the path to be President Scholars or some expensive PSC scholarship. They are both doing very well in school and their ECAs.

hsienloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
The winner-takes-all system may be flawed, but it is our system here. It can only be changed if enough vote for it to be changed. President Scholars are winners. I wish I was one. Unfortunately, I am not and I had to struggle my way in the corporate and business sector. Thankfully, I made big bucks. But I know of many people who failed and ended up driving taxi. I wouldn't say I was gifted or better than the others. I was lucky that I succeeded where many others failed. President Scholars, in contrast, are overwhelmingly successful in their careers. They may have different apex for their respective career paths, but they all generally end up in the high income earners group. They don't have to be billionaires or multi-millionaires. They just need to earn enough to live comfortably without worry for the rest of their lives. I can't say the same for many business owners, including myself. We are successful for now, but things can always change. I have set both my kids on the path to be President Scholars or some expensive PSC scholarship. They are both doing very well in school and their ECAs.
So did you study hard for your A levels or Diploma?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Our government is formed entirely by PAP. Our system is a winner-takes-all system where the majority party forms the entire government, while the opposition MPs, if any, just sit on the sidelines and pass sarcastic remarks during parliament. As such, the government is the PAP and the PAP is the government.

That's the problem with First Past The Post system. Ditch it and bring in proportional representation. The government will then be more accountable. Guarantee you that the minister salaries will sure come down.

Our current system, sinkees are led to believe that the fall of the PAP will mean the demise of sinkapore. That myth needs to be shattered. A revolution that throws out everything PAP and the banishment of all PAP leaders will be needed to restart sinkapore.

Seriously, I wonder how the opposition acts as a check and balance when they are not parliamentary members or some bigwig in the ministries. They have no access to any info and rely entirely on social media and mainstream media for their source of government info. They should have brought this up long ago, instead of making empty boasts that they are our check-and-balance when I have seen ordinary non-partisan activists doing a better job.
This shows how bodoh you are. Look at the UK ...government knows its limits despite a majority status. The largest opposition party has a status as the Official Opposition. The MPs are not in the government but they do a damn good job holding the government to account. That this is not possible in Sinkapore shows how screw-up is our bastard system of democracy.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The winner-takes-all system may be flawed, but it is our system here. It can only be changed if enough vote for it to be changed.

Voting doesn't work. Only a revolution can get the PAP out.

President Scholars are winners. I wish I was one. Unfortunately, I am not and I had to struggle my way in the corporate and business sector. Thankfully, I made big bucks. But I know of many people who failed and ended up driving taxi. I wouldn't say I was gifted or better than the others. I was lucky that I succeeded where many others failed. President Scholars, in contrast, are overwhelmingly successful in their careers. They may have different apex for their respective career paths, but they all generally end up in the high income earners group. They don't have to be billionaires or multi-millionaires. They just need to earn enough to live comfortably without worry for the rest of their lives. I can't say the same for many business owners, including myself. We are successful for now, but things can always change.

We definitely need to get rid of our scholar system. What a waste of money. These fat cats are draining us. Each scholar costs us $68 million (from award to death) in his lifetime. Each year, we are adding close to $1 billion to our liabilities. What do we get for that? Mediocrity as exemplified by those 'scholars' who are running SMRT.
I have set both my kids on the path to be President Scholars or some expensive PSC scholarship. They are both doing very well in school and their ECAs.[/QUOTE]

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That's the problem with First Past The Post system. Ditch it and bring in proportional representation. The government will then be more accountable. Guarantee you that the minister salaries will sure come down.

Our current system, sinkees are led to believe that the fall of the PAP will mean the demise of sinkapore. That myth needs to be shattered. A revolution that throws out everything PAP and the banishment of all PAP leaders will be needed to restart sinkapore.

This shows how bodoh you are. Look at the UK ...government knows its limits despite a majority status. The largest opposition party has a status as the Official Opposition. The MPs are not in the government but they do a damn good job holding the government to account. That this is not possible in Sinkapore shows how screw-up is our bastard system of democracy.

That shows you how bodoh you are. We are Singapore, not UK.

UK's democracy is also flawed. It's basially an oligarchy between two main parties. Try forming your own little party and toppling both the incumbent parties.

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well they did say that Singapore's economy will tank when Lao Lee mati, looks like the rumours were right. His son better pray that he doesn't despoil his dad's legacy. One generation to build up, all destroyed by the next.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That shows you how bodoh you are. We are Singapore, not UK.
Sinkapore so what? Why can't it be democratic?

UK's democracy is also flawed. It's basially an oligarchy between two main parties. Try forming your own little party and toppling both the incumbent parties.
Every system is flawed except that the sinkapore's system is tantamount to dictatorship, thus more flawed and to be ditched in favour proportional representation.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i believe the civil service,the administrative service and the government should be seperate from the political party and should have no affliation whatsoever.in most other countries,political parties are changed very often like diapers,but the welfare department,the housing department,the vehicle registration office,the social security etc etc never changes,they serve the public regardless of rain or shine,from one decade to another unceasingly whether the republicans or democrats are in power......

of course living in a circus land like singapore........everything is associated and affiliated with PAP.......talk about corruption to the core.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
i believe the civil service,the administrative service and the government should be seperate from the political party and should have no affliation whatsoever.in most other countries,political parties are changed very often like diapers,but the welfare department,the housing department,the vehicle registration office,the social security etc etc never changes,they serve the public regardless of rain or shine,from one decade to another unceasingly whether the republicans or democrats are in power......

by right , government should function the way as you mentioned.

by left , certainly for sillypoore , the garberment and the party is one and the same.
this is what johntan has been saying adamantly here , and he is right.

harimau

Alfrescian
Loyal
HDB gives to PAP town councils but no give to Oppositions town councils? Money must come from somewhere!

Definitely not from HDB to WP!

It's tough being oppositions in Singapore!

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
no paper money involved.
accounting trick was performed.

btw,
Horsing Board incurred a deficit of more than $2 billion in the last financial year,
up from $1.97 billion the year before.
so ,
how can a company losing money able to gave away 2 billions ? :biggrin::biggrin:

aiyah it a matter of how you do your accounting lah.....................PAP belly good w it but when WP do same, they got drag to court

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sinkapore so what? Why can't it be democratic?

Every system is flawed except that the sinkapore's system is tantamount to dictatorship, thus more flawed and to be ditched in favour proportional representation.

Even in a proportional representation, if PAP wins 51% of the seats and WP gets 49% of the seats, PAP will still form 100% of the government and take charge of 100% of all government ministries, stat boards. WP's 49% MPs will just show up for parliamentary sessions to pass their usual sarcastic remarks, have some ceremonial MP duties to do. But they will have no say or no inside info on the operations of the ministries.