• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Opposition winning a GRC?

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Me too. Yes, vote WP. SL needs encouragement. After her sacrifices and yet if rejection this time, no one can be sure she will continue to play an active role. Let's give her one chance and I am sure she won't disappoint.

We not only need to vote her but tell all our friends and family in Aljunied GRC ot do the same. Otherwise, it would not be enough!

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Forums are useless in influencing the mass. This election, the issue is whether Facebook can have influence. I have been seeing a lot of anti govt comments on FB. This is unusual as these comments are unsolicited. Also, a lot of the anti govt, anti establishment comments are usually mentioned by the youths. So the youth votes can be decisive as well.

gohsanho

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aljunied is one lucky place with the best A team from WP including world top lawyer, a rare talent the choice is obvious.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have been a silent reader of this forum and am interested to know your thoughts on the likelihood of an Opposition party ever winning a GRC.

Would the seasoned political experts in this forum like to comment?

Without false modesty, I am not a political expert. But I am a human being and like all humans, love to talk about their views.

My view is that there is a greater possibility today of the WP winning a GRC. They are able to manage their own party, shown fairness (at least on the outside) to members of their own party by not engaging in under-the-table play to sabotage their own members, etc, etc. Though their leader is definitely not one with balls, yet he has managed to hold his own turf, looking after his constituency with admirable consistency. Thus the residents can be assured that they will be looked after and not abandoned should they elect WP.

It is a matter of gauging their ability to perform, their ability to provide an alternative voice, their proven ability and not just their recognisable faces. Their fairness and clear conscience in not involving their wives or family or friends in areas where they are given public control. And an inner stability with alignment of interests within the party - not mavericks or dictatorships.

Given the above, if the WP comes knocking at my door, I will give them the time of the day and so long as they do not unveil a manifesto glorifying gays, abolishment of death penalty and minimum wages, I will strongly consider them as a replacement of the PAP.

What about the chances of the other opposition parties winning a GRC. I sincerely hope that the voters have more sense than that, to sabotage the place they live in, for meaningless oppositions.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What about the chances of the other opposition parties winning a GRC. I sincerely hope that the voters have more sense than that, to sabotage the place they live in, for meaningless oppositions.

even an incompetent opposition mp can provide auxiliary help in supporting a fellow oppo mp proposed bill or vote against a pap bill in parliament which no pap mp can do.

if municipal issues are significant factors in voters' choice. I would suggest vote pap who control govt coffers for municipal infrastructure building projects. pap is the best party to run our towns. WP A team - super heavy weights + ultimate weapons if elected will not be able to get any municipal upgrading funds from the pap government but any pap mps can get the funds easily.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
even an incompetent opposition mp can provide auxiliary help in supporting a fellow oppo mp proposed bill or vote against a pap bill in parliament which no pap mp can do.
Precisely, we cannot expect all oppositon candidates to be top grade quality like sylvia Lim or Vincent etc, but we need to boost their numbers so that they can help to block unfair bills or policies. Or support and lend power to other good fellow opposition MPs in doing the right thing for the people. I am sick of predominantly single party having their way to bulldoze policies around without barriers. They may self-script some Q & A to be played out by some MPs to show that they have thought through enough to appease the people, but ultimately they will still push through no matter how unconvincing their answers may sound. PAP "good grade" candidates come easliy as they have the resources and means to attract youngest Generals, Scholars and Top elite Civil servants, but those are not "good grade" MP calibre to me. They lack the guts or (baXXs) to say "NO" to be seen as betraying party interest although their conscience says otherwise. Sad to say, some made it to be MP via GRC door. I'd rather get someone who genuinely thinks in the interest of the people although she or he may not be helicopter calibre academically. People got to lend opposition enough power to do the gatekeeping role on their behalf and let the climate of multi-party system build-up from this election onwards. It's about check and balance. We need to give a fair balance to the number of PAP as well opposition party MPs for a check work.

Last edited:

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
Precisely, we cannot expect all oppositon candidates to be top grade quality like sylvia Lim or Vincent etc, but we need to boost their numbers so that they can help to block unfair bills or policies. Or support and lend power to other good fellow opposition MPs in doing the right thing for the people. I am sick of predominantly single party having their way to bulldoze policies around without barriers. They may self-script some Q & A to be played out by some MPs to show that they have thought through enough to appease the people, but ultimately they will still push through no matter how unconvincing their answers might sound. PAP "good grade" cnadidates come easliy as they have the resources and means to attract youngest Generals, Scholars and Top elite Civil servants, but those are not "good grade" MP calibre to me. They lack the guts or (baXXs) to say "NO" to be seen as betraying party interest although their conscience says otherwise. Sad to say, some made it to be MP via GRC door. I rather get someone who genuinely thinks in the interest of the people although she or he may not be helicopter calibre academically. People got to lend opposition enough power to do the gatekeeping role on their behalf and let the climate of multi-party system build-up from this election onwards. It's about check and balance. We need to give a fair balance to the number of PAP as well opposition party MPs for a check work.

WP must also show that they are willing to kick out those Poly Grads and Distance learners if they can get some MP seats in the future
SG don't need those uneducated animals in the parliament

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal

Look at past records then. How many times did Chiam See Tong support Low Thia Kiang in Parliament?

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Precisely, we cannot expect all oppositon candidates to be top grade quality like sylvia Lim or Vincent etc, but we need to boost their numbers so that they can help to block unfair bills or policies. Or support and lend power to other good fellow opposition MPs in doing the right thing for the people. I am sick of predominantly single party having their way to bulldoze policies around without barriers. They may self-script some Q & A to be played out by some MPs to show that they have thought through enough to appease the people, but ultimately they will still push through no matter how unconvincing their answers may sound. PAP "good grade" candidates come easliy as they have the resources and means to attract youngest Generals, Scholars and Top elite Civil servants, but those are not "good grade" MP calibre to me. They lack the guts or (baXXs) to say "NO" to be seen as betraying party interest although their conscience says otherwise. Sad to say, some made it to be MP via GRC door. I'd rather get someone who genuinely thinks in the interest of the people although she or he may not be helicopter calibre academically. People got to lend opposition enough power to do the gatekeeping role on their behalf and let the climate of multi-party system build-up from this election onwards. It's about check and balance. We need to give a fair balance to the number of PAP as well opposition party MPs for a check work.

Reality proves that what you said is only a fantasy.

How many oppositions agree with each other on the approach to social injustices?

If they cannot agree out of Parliament, they can agree in Parliament?

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

How many oppositions agree with each other on the approach to social injustices?

I agree with you absolutely. In this state of so many opposition jumping parties and starting parties, if they form a coalition government, the next thing Singaporeans get is a civil war.

leoman

Alfrescian
Loyal
there r several grc / ward that papians r aware n know its at risk of losing.
but
they use a "sweetening tactics" , like upgrading with $xxx millions , building sch, building cc, building walkways, upgrade hawker centre n many other.

tis can b seen in grc like bishan-tp, aljunied, hongkah

All tIS r using "govtment $monie$" 2 d pap party's advantage. they set their own rules, their own interpretation.
but
yet, many citizens still go with their flows coz citizens fear 2 lose (kiasi/kiasu).

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal

They may or may not agree on approach to social injustices, true, but I do not think they disagree totally with each other on ALL bills and policies dished out in parliament, especially those proposed by ruling party that are unfair to the people. I doubt any opposition agrees to huge pay cheques for ministers. In parliament they will need to make their point and if stance is fair, all gets to hear and see. The process and road to a better system has to be evolved and improved over period of time but the first step must be made. :biggrin:

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Watz wrong with distance learners? We even got one PAP MP with PhD from distance learning///////