• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Opening the door wider to foreigners

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is good to have foreign talent if they can really contribute, we should pay them for their worth. If you pay peanuts, u get monkey. The point is whether there are good stringent assessment for these foreign talent.

My daughter hv some China scholars in her class. Her ranking at level dropped after they joined her school but I have seen it has really raised her game quite a lot. She now works harder because her competition is very strong. If she doesn't face this competition in school now, she will face them later in life. Better for her to face it now which help to improve herself dramatically than later and not be able to compete globally.

We now live in a global economy and we need good foreign talent to help rasie our game. Just hope the Gov't and companies have good assessment and judgement to choose the right ppl to come. A higher level of Human Resources Management should be developed so that we can develop the right resources. I have interviewed countless of ppl in my career and it's not easy to pick the right ppl. It takes experience and training to do it well. Not many companies provide training on recruitment & interview process. I attended a training on how to assess ppl's behaviour on dealing with issues. Most just conduct interrogation and not communicate expectations properly. A big plus will be to help sell Singapore correctly so that foreigners will try blend in better and contribute more productively. Education Ministry & Mgmt schools shud develop good programs in HR so that we can recruit the right talent across the board.

You do not need foreign students to jack up your child's learning. This is the job of the teachers. Studying harder does not make one smarter. Just look at Kee Chiu. He is as daft as daft can be and yet he scored very well in his exams and even went to Oxbridge but everytime he opens his mouth he says the daftest things.

ThickSkinAlamaking

Alfrescian
Loyal
You do not need foreign students to jack up your child's learning. This is the job of the teachers. Studying harder does not make one smarter. Just look at Kee Chiu. He is as daft as daft can be and yet he scored very well in his exams and even went to Oxbridge but everytime he opens his mouth he says the daftest things.

Good point brother. Clever with textbook does not means clever on the street also.

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bluebrother has lost the point of education.

I wonder why his daughter is striving so hard for.(??)
Grades? Or actually learning??

These are 2 different things. If you want good grades, you don't necessarily need teachers if you are smart in taking exams and able to put points across, and have a good memory.

But learning, you do need teachers who are actually learned in their fields of study. I have faced many teachers in Sg who teach but pass on no knowledge to me.. but when I went to USA.. a simple explanation on basic accounting.. barely 5mins into the first lesson.. I got what a lecturer in my Pre-U could not do in over 2 years.. explain simpley DEBIT and CREDIT.

But< I digress.

If your daughter is worried about her grades, then seriously you don't need foreigners in your classroom to whip you to start putting in more effort.

So are you implying that your daughter was tops in class until the foreigners came alnog? Thereby forcing her out of her top placement and thus resulting in her "working" harder?

Because this is how it sounds to me. And if that is so.. then it supports my question of "why bring in foreigners and give ourselves more competition and unneeded pressure and stress?"

Let me ask this, how many foreigners are in your daughter's school now? Compare that with the numbers over the last 20 years.. and if you don't see a large increase, then maybe your daughter's school isn't among the popular ones to go to until more foreigners come in now.

I am not suggesting to 'CLOSE DOORS TO ALL FOREIGNERS", but to really examine who we are allowing to come into our midst. Do you want to continue to allow pinoys, PRCs with degrees that are only recognized in their own homeland, to take PMET jobs here?

How many of these foreigners are really that HIGHLY SKILLED or TOP ELITES IN THEIR FIELD OF WORK/STUDY, and have or are willing to pass on or transfer their knowledge and skills to us Singaporeans?

Look at most overseas scholars! They MOSTLY go back to their home countries!! So our taxes goes to pay for their education, their lodging.. and when they got their education done.. they wipe their mouths, clean their hands.. and then go back home? How many actually CONTRIBUTE!??

Bluebrother, you say some stay and contribute.. some examples please. Who stayed and set up businesses to create jobs? Who set up charities here and did volunteer work for the unfortunuate and needy local Singaporeans? Don't just say.. if you do know, put the names down.

I don't believe your stories about your daughter and that you really think foreigners are good for Singaporeans as a general statement because we are now facing a situation where Singaporeans could be seriously outnumbered by foreigners in the years to come.

Who is to say that we are not already outnumbered now? For every foreigner we allow to come in, they will (whenever they can) bring their spouses, children, parents, grandparents, uncles, aunties, cousins.. etc etc. Who is keeping the REAL numbers????

I say again, "WE DON'T NEED MORE FOREIGNERS TO CREATE A READY AND AVAILABLE POOL OF CHEAP LABOUR FOR EMPLOYERS! WE NEED INVESTORS WHO EITHER PUT IN MONEY OR SET UP BUSINESSES TO ALLOW SINGAPOREANS TO HAVE JOBS!"

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Angmo where got no competition. Look at how many Asian immigrants now in USA and competing at all levels. I have seen Pakistani taxi drivers in New York, Taiwanese merchandisers at Nike in Portland, a host of Asian holding executive position plus innovation done by Asian in American labs and companies. Angmo may lose their jobs to Asian & Latinos if they take it easy. Everywhere in the world have competition. It's the competition that makes us work better, work smarter and work faster. This is what the world has become. Even Communist China is now highly competitive. In Singapore, if you have a good prawn noodle stall and get good reviews on paper, a number of prawn noodles stalls will open up to compete. Check out Kallang Airport Hawker centre and you will know.

Talk about innovation, Angmo Apple is losing share to Korean Samsung. More and more innovation may be coming from Asian than Angmo in the future.

You may consider going to North Korea, maybe the competition is less severe but you have to be careful not to piss off Mr. Kim as he may send you to a rehabitation camp. Joining the Taleban may be another option if you don't want competition but you have to hide in caves and dodge bombs. In Singapore, you can work at MacDonald, I think the competition and stress will be much lower as you are competing with quite a few old retired people if you can live with the pay from MacDonald.

The only way is to train yourself and your mind to deal with stress from competition and still perform effectively. That's why these days, people are doing yoga and meditation. Regular exercise is also another option. I try mediation time to time and I swim 2-3 times a week for 40 minutes/20 laps not just to keep my body healthy but also my mind in a better condition. I find I need to work harder to relax my mind more than keep fit. Even LKY swims regularly at his age. It's a holistic approach to better living.

And what is the precentage of those Asian workers who went on to create earth-shaking companies and hire lots of people? Or were most of them merely workers, albeit highly-skilled workers, competing with other workers?

Don't shoot your mouth off if you have never experienced working at MacDonalds. Try working during peak hours at a busy store and you will know what kind of stress you can get.

I have no problems with competition, as long as the country does not disadvantage me with obligations and restrictions which are not forced on foreigners. In short, don't expect any loyalty from me.

Enforcer

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Don't forget about those foreign scholars who came, mock our citizens, enjoyed the benefits and break their bonds. The recent trend is, they got their PR, the apply for credit cards and max out their credit limit and leave this place forever.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
And what is the precentage of those Asian workers who went on to create earth-shaking companies and hire lots of people? Or were most of them merely workers, albeit highly-skilled workers, competing with other workers?

Don't shoot your mouth off if you have never experienced working at MacDonalds. Try working during peak hours at a busy store and you will know what kind of stress you can get.

I have no problems with competition, as long as the country does not disadvantage me with obligations and restrictions which are not forced on foreigners. In short, don't expect any loyalty from me.
Blue brother is pap IB. A scholarly breed no less. He represents the group think within admin service and cabinet.

BlueBrother

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bluebrother has lost the point of education.

I wonder why his daughter is striving so hard for.(??)
Grades? Or actually learning??

These are 2 different things. If you want good grades, you don't necessarily need teachers if you are smart in taking exams and able to put points across, and have a good memory.

But learning, you do need teachers who are actually learned in their fields of study. I have faced many teachers in Sg who teach but pass on no knowledge to me.. but when I went to USA.. a simple explanation on basic accounting.. barely 5mins into the first lesson.. I got what a lecturer in my Pre-U could not do in over 2 years.. explain simpley DEBIT and CREDIT.

But< I digress.

If your daughter is worried about her grades, then seriously you don't need foreigners in your classroom to whip you to start putting in more effort.

So are you implying that your daughter was tops in class until the foreigners came alnog? Thereby forcing her out of her top placement and thus resulting in her "working" harder?

Because this is how it sounds to me. And if that is so.. then it supports my question of "why bring in foreigners and give ourselves more competition and unneeded pressure and stress?"

Let me ask this, how many foreigners are in your daughter's school now? Compare that with the numbers over the last 20 years.. and if you don't see a large increase, then maybe your daughter's school isn't among the popular ones to go to until more foreigners come in now.

I am not suggesting to 'CLOSE DOORS TO ALL FOREIGNERS", but to really examine who we are allowing to come into our midst. Do you want to continue to allow pinoys, PRCs with degrees that are only recognized in their own homeland, to take PMET jobs here?

How many of these foreigners are really that HIGHLY SKILLED or TOP ELITES IN THEIR FIELD OF WORK/STUDY, and have or are willing to pass on or transfer their knowledge and skills to us Singaporeans?

Look at most overseas scholars! They MOSTLY go back to their home countries!! So our taxes goes to pay for their education, their lodging.. and when they got their education done.. they wipe their mouths, clean their hands.. and then go back home? How many actually CONTRIBUTE!??

Bluebrother, you say some stay and contribute.. some examples please. Who stayed and set up businesses to create jobs? Who set up charities here and did volunteer work for the unfortunuate and needy local Singaporeans? Don't just say.. if you do know, put the names down.

I don't believe your stories about your daughter and that you really think foreigners are good for Singaporeans as a general statement because we are now facing a situation where Singaporeans could be seriously outnumbered by foreigners in the years to come.

Who is to say that we are not already outnumbered now? For every foreigner we allow to come in, they will (whenever they can) bring their spouses, children, parents, grandparents, uncles, aunties, cousins.. etc etc. Who is keeping the REAL numbers????

I say again, "WE DON'T NEED MORE FOREIGNERS TO CREATE A READY AND AVAILABLE POOL OF CHEAP LABOUR FOR EMPLOYERS! WE NEED INVESTORS WHO EITHER PUT IN MONEY OR SET UP BUSINESSES TO ALLOW SINGAPOREANS TO HAVE JOBS!"

We live in a complex world. There are some things that may have worked for me which may not work for you. I am a common citizen, I do not have the statistics and I am not in a senior gov't or corporate position to be able to tell you which foreign talent can contribute and which cannot. I once met a Burmese working at SGS in Singapore, he was very helpful and share so much with me on labtest. He may not be the best in his field but as he was willing to share with me, for that I am grateful. This is personal experience and so I believe there must be other good foreign talent in Singapore that can and are willing to help us Singaporeans. Perhaps if it was a Singaporean in charge at that time instead of that Burmese guy, the typical Kiasu Singaporean may not be so willing to share. I also have other positive experience with foreign talent. Likewise my daughter has personally benefitted from the China scholars in her class. I am sure there are many ppl out there that have enjoyed some benefits from the foreign talent while there are others that have suffered because of these foreign workers.

Perhaps you may be right and lucky to have attended a school in USA to receive a much better education. At the moment, I feel that the schooling environment in Singapore with these foreign students have indeed helped my child which I truly appreciate. I wish I could afford to send my child to a good school in USA where she can perhaps get a better education. Sadly I can say for myself and quite a majority of Singaporean that we most probably cannot afford to do so. I have lived in a number of different countries and I prefer that my child go to a Singapore school versus some of the countries in the region. A Chinese friend of mine in Batu Pahat has to send her child to Sabah and do you think Sabah has a better university than Peninsular Malaysia ? Malaysian schooling policy favours the bumiputra. There is probably better schools in USA & Europe but for most Singaporean we are getting a great education compare to students in other ASEAN countries. In Thailand, the school teachers sell insurance to students and most students bought because they want to have some advantage. Parents also have to pay a lot of tea money to get into good school. Everything is relative. Top in class do not concern me, I just hope that my daughter has more exposure and learn as much as the environment can provide so that she has the ability to develop her own career in the future. Relatively I believe my daughter is getting a great education in Singapore. It's what you compare with realistically and what you can personally afford. If we were Chinese born in Malaysia, we are probably envying the Chinese students in Singapore. But now we are Singapore envying the education system in USA.

I am a common citizen and no way I can't influence gov't policy in this blog. PAP has already opened the door to foreign workers and it's just how many more they are going to let in. We should seek to get the most of what the current system can offer. There is always something these foreign talent can offer and we should try benenfit as much as we can from their presence. This is not a choice we can make.

I feel PAP is more focus on the economy than the ppl. The only thing we can all do is to support the opposition party to win more seats. Don't count on the opposition to change everything to our liking. When PAP loses more seats and popularity, I hope they will change their attitude to more ppl focus. Right now I see that only PAP has the talent and power to make changes to take better care of the people and not just the economy. We need the opposition to wake PAP up, stop their wayang and seriously address the problems we face on a daily basis.

Let's say, if we have 6.9 million in 2030. There are more foreigners than Singapore but the Gov't pro-citizen policy create a situation where the majority (95%) of Singaporean own their (nice) homes, have stable good pay jobs, the transport systems works, there are sufficient social amenities, do you still see any problems with foreign talents ? However there will always some deadbeat Singaporean that don't do anything and just complain, do you want to listen to these ppl that don't help themselves ? Look at USA, they are made up mainly on immigrants. Only the Red Indian are real locals. Actually the majority of Singaporeans are also immigrants from China.

BlueBrother

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't forget about those foreign scholars who came, mock our citizens, enjoyed the benefits and break their bonds. The recent trend is, they got their PR, the apply for credit cards and max out their credit limit and leave this place forever.

There always always be some foreign ashole out there. Some will benefit, cheat and leave. Do you think it's possible today to get rid of all the foreign workers ? They are already so entrenched and many are really contributing. If we deport every foreign workers now, we will come to a standstill and foreign investment will dry up very quickly. Cannot let a few rotten eggs ruin the bigger picture. We also have some Singaporean asshole that are not treating foreigners fairly.

I have some foreign friends working in Singapore and I am truly appreciative of the quality of their work.

BlueBrother

Alfrescian
Loyal
Blue brother is pap IB. A scholarly breed no less. He represents the group think within admin service and cabinet.

Sorry I only GEC "O" level with ITE cert. I worked very hard to achieve senior management level in some major corporation including a USA Fortune 50 company. I am no scholar but I have travelled widely and been away from Singapore for over 23 years living in other countries which gives me a more global perspective.

I am sure that you would agree they have done a great job in the past if you compare to other countries in the region.
I believe PAP can do the job correctly but I am not pro-PAP because I think they now have their head up their ass and not taking care of the common citizen. Too much focus on economy and not working enough for the people. They protect themselves too much. When got minister heading the trade union, bullshit union. They should allow more independent trade union that can do the job corrently. If they are really such a great gov't, they shud be comfortable to allow public protest march like HK.

BlueBrother

Alfrescian
Loyal

What's the point of asking what is the percentage of those Asian workers in this & that ? How many of us in this forum works for the media or in gov't think-tank that compile and study such data. It's not how many, seeing some, even seeing a few foreigners, can add anxiety. Often people deal with perception more than reality. I believe none of us in this forum has access to all the gov't data compile by an army of reserachers and civil servants. We are only dealing in perception and so no point to go down the road of percentage/data ? We all made comments based on our own perception. I may be the only one suffering something but all the bro at this forum do not have any problem, is my perception accurate ? Only yes to me. If someone made a comment and we see many brothers & sisters agree, we are only developing the same perception but we may never know the reality. Dealing with such reality is the gov't job. Only the gov't have the massive resources to develop and analyse the data to create an hypothesis to determine what they should do next. They also have the talent to do all the analysis to come up with the best ideas, that's why they are chosen. One to one, many of these ministers are much more qualified than many of us as they have indeed done better in school & career to earn their position. They are good but they are not perfect and who can be perfect. I can voice my greivances and bitch about things that are not working well for me but I can't do the gov't job and I can only dwell on perception which may not be right. This is why I may not agree with you and you may not agree with me. It's OK, we should listen to different sides of the story as we can learn to see things from a different perspective.

Pressure for a few hours in MacDonald without any major responsible is real during peak hours but it cannot be compared with the stress that most ppl face in their worklife. Normal office & factory workers may have a host of worries : conference call at midnight, entertain difficult customers at all hours, difficult bosses, bring work home, worry about meeting deadlines, deal with weak markets and worry about hitting sales/production/quality targets. These types of stress is much worse because it doesn't stop at the end of the shift and it will only stop when you retire or if you strike Toto jackpot/Big Sweep 1st Prize. The MacDonald staff generally doesn't have to carry their stress home after their shift ends and they don't have the same level of responsibilities. You are comparing a short walk in the park versus full battle order charging up pengkang hill which is much more shiong.

cheowyonglee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just raise the wages. Nursing is a good paying job in all developed countries, except in sinkapore. The PAP health system is to squeeze the nurses so that the doctors can be paid fatly. Therein is the problem. We have a system that is geared to making the rich richer and the middle class poorer. The end goal is to have only two class - the poor and the rich. The poor shall serve the rich.

agree.... i think we have to united all the articles and research into one united thread ... in fuckwarezone and sammyboy.... and all the rest of the fourm into one....
then we can become like a fist .. and hammer straight into the heart of the PAP...

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry I only GEC "O" level with ITE cert. I worked very hard to achieve senior management level in some major corporation including a USA Fortune 50 company. I am no scholar but I have travelled widely and been away from Singapore for over 23 years living in other countries which gives me a more global perspective.

I am sure that you would agree they have done a great job in the past if you compare to other countries in the region.
I believe PAP can do the job correctly but I am not pro-PAP because I think they now have their head up their ass and not taking care of the common citizen. Too much focus on economy and not working enough for the people. They protect themselves too much. When got minister heading the trade union, bullshit union. They should allow more independent trade union that can do the job corrently. If they are really such a great gov't, they shud be comfortable to allow public protest march like HK.
Don't bullshit. You guys never stop trying to influence or even distort the public perception. Your argument is clearly pro pap foreigner policy, although you add in some angry words at pap in hope that your bitter shit is masked by the sugary syrup.

Last edited:

BlueBrother

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't bullshit. You guys never stop trying to influence or even distort the public perception. Your argument is clearly pro pap foreigner policy, although you add in some angry words at pap in hope that your bitter shit is masked by the sugary syrup.

If you see all my post, you will realize that I support more opposition in Parliament and so is this pro-PAP ? I honestly have never voted for PAP. Foreigner policy is here and well entrenched, how to be pro or not-pro for this policy ? It is done deal and there is nothing much anyone can do about it unless you can vote out PAP which is not likely to happen at least for the next GE. Right now all the opposition parties put together are not capable to form new gov't. Even if the opposition comes in power, they may take a hard look and still keep the foreigner policy because it has become a necessary evil just like opening the casinos. PAP doesn't pay me a single cent. I am just trying to be realistic on what is actually happening right now. You can bash PAP all you want and they will still continue to allow foreign workers. My argument has always been PAP is too focus on economy where they should be more focus on Singapore citizen. Citizens that have to spend 2 to 2.5 years + more doing National Service. I did my NS + reservist, I am as pissed as any male citizen to see foreign workers getting same benefits or more advantage w/o the personal sacrifice which we have made. I also feel that PAP is practising self-preservation politics that are not always in the best interest of the people. These PAP MP are sworn to serve the people and they are not doing their upmost. I am not pro-PAP nor am I pro-Opposition, I am pro-Singaporean. I would like to see true Singaporean be given a much higher consideration for jobs and benefits than foreigners because only we Singaporean have a real stake in Singapore.

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I concur with bro watchman that Bluebrother is pro pap and may be even pap hired

He has in no way answered any of our questions, and ALWAYS AVOIDED THE ISSUES AND NEVER GIVE OUT THE FACTS.

I asked him for names, he say he is not govt agency blah blah blah.. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AND DON'T BEHAVE LIKE YOUR MASTERS! THEY NEVER LISTEN AND READ CAREFULLY, AND YOU ARE SHOWING THE SAME THING!

I asked if your daughter was tops in class and all that.. and all your posts skirted my question and you seem to trying to blur the whole thing and throw up more smoke to confuse and distort.

Again, I never said I am against ALL FOREIGNERS. But you put up a personal experience?? Burmese? SGS? Wow!! So where did this burmese get his/her qualification from? NUS? Or from his homeland? And why did he/she share info on labtest with YOU? WHAT POSITION DO YOU HOLD THAT HE/SHE HAS TO SHARE INFO WITH YOU?!!
Stop trying to make others believe that the foreigners are ALL good for Singapore.

And lastly.. your last grasp for us to believe in the white paper on IF the govt provides all that you posted.. on (nice) homes, good pay... ARE THESE YOUR ASSUMPTIONS? WHAT EVIDENCE FROM PAST EXPERIENCE DO YOU DRAW SUCH CONFIDENCE FROM?

Pappies said we could accomodate 5.5m.. now mrt has problems.. breakdown regularly and even the escalators breakdown often at the stations.. not enought housing.. cost of public housing shooting through the skies.. overcrowding all around us.. Singaporeans are losing jobs to foreigners...

And you ask "what if"? You certainly show that you HAVE A LOT OF FAITH IN PAP!!!

I rest my case.

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh.. and bluebrother is so bloody darn free to post at the times that he/she does.. wow... I can only post at after office hours.. or late late at nite..

and fyi blue pap supporter.. I saved money, borrowed from bank.. and also from my parents to go to USA.. I am still in the midst of paying back my parents.. I just finished paying off the bank.

BlueBrother

Alfrescian
Loyal
I concur with bro watchman that Bluebrother is pro pap and may be even pap hired

He has in no way answered any of our questions, and ALWAYS AVOIDED THE ISSUES AND NEVER GIVE OUT THE FACTS.

I asked him for names, he say he is not govt agency blah blah blah.. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AND DON'T BEHAVE LIKE YOUR MASTERS! THEY NEVER LISTEN AND READ CAREFULLY, AND YOU ARE SHOWING THE SAME THING!

I asked if your daughter was tops in class and all that.. and all your posts skirted my question and you seem to trying to blur the whole thing and throw up more smoke to confuse and distort.

Again, I never said I am against ALL FOREIGNERS. But you put up a personal experience?? Burmese? SGS? Wow!! So where did this burmese get his/her qualification from? NUS? Or from his homeland? And why did he/she share info on labtest with YOU? WHAT POSITION DO YOU HOLD THAT HE/SHE HAS TO SHARE INFO WITH YOU?!!
Stop trying to make others believe that the foreigners are ALL good for Singapore.

And lastly.. your last grasp for us to believe in the white paper on IF the govt provides all that you posted.. on (nice) homes, good pay... ARE THESE YOUR ASSUMPTIONS? WHAT EVIDENCE FROM PAST EXPERIENCE DO YOU DRAW SUCH CONFIDENCE FROM?

Pappies said we could accomodate 5.5m.. now mrt has problems.. breakdown regularly and even the escalators breakdown often at the stations.. not enought housing.. cost of public housing shooting through the skies.. overcrowding all around us.. Singaporeans are losing jobs to foreigners...

And you ask "what if"? You certainly show that you HAVE A LOT OF FAITH IN PAP!!!

I rest my case.

Is this a forum just for bashing the PAP ??? If an individual enjoy some benefit due to a PAP policy even though that same policy may have some harm to others, we are not suppose to be grateful for the benefits which we have received. I do not appreciate everything PAP have done but come on, I cannot believe that everyone in this forum think PAP is 100% totally useless. If we are not constantly bashing PAP, we are considered pro-PAP, is this criteria for branding someone pro-PAP in this forum. Bashing PAP until everyone shiok shiok and everyone will up your points. Is this it ?

What is the purpose of naming the good foreign talents that I have encountered ? Are you going to send them a cake tomorrow and say thank you ? I am certainly not going to tell you the names of my foreign friends. We are common citizen, we do not have access to massive amount of data available to the gov't. The gov't have teams of researchers, economist, statistician and some really talented ppl looking at all these to develop hypothesis and develop strategic plans. Major corporation can afford to pay consulting firm a ton of money to do research and they most probably can name names/incidents, show statistics and offer hypothesis. Most of us SBF can only give our perception based on our own personal experience.

Whether my daughter is at the top of the class is not an important. The point which I am trying to raise is that both she and I felt that the PRC Scholars was able to help raise her standard. Her ranking at level may suffer but we are both happy that she can improve herself more with this foreign scholar scheme. Some ppl may not see such a benefit and feel that their own kids are smart enough plus the Singapore education system is adequate. Then I can only congratulate them on their success but I hope you can appreciate that sometimes some policy which you hate may actually benefit others.

I have been an expat in Thailand. Likewise my Thai colleagues hated me as I was a threat to their prospect. I took the job they coveted but unfortunately to them I was better qualified. I can understand how Singaporean will feel seeing foreigners at our door step. Some of these foreigners may be total asshole and some useless. Their presence may have hurt a number of Singaporean, some badly. I can only feel sorry for them and hope that the Gov't can introduce more pro-Singaporean policy to help those that have been marginalized by these foreign workers. My perception is that they are a necessary evil. If you dis-agree, try have this debate with LKY, he started allowing foreign talents into Singapore when he was PM long long time ago.

I have indeed benefitted from this Burmese guy which I am grateful. I was only a junior staff at that time but he was kind to walk me thru his lab and show me how tests are conducted. I feel he was being kind to share things with me and partly hope that I will support his lab in the future. But what my position or his background has to do with this discussion. My point is I am trying to show I have benefitted from a foreign worker in Singapore.

I may have met with some foreign asshole. Being a Buddhist, I would prefer to talk about the goods things that ppl have done rather then bitch about the bad ppl I have encountered. As you have mentioned that you did not say that you are not against ALL FOREIGNERS, I take you that you mean that you also believe there are good foreigners that can help Singaporean.

I do not agree with the white paper. I do not think it is worth it to discuss 6.9 million in 2030 when there are not many issues that are yet to be resolved. I have always said that PAP should address those issues now and now think too far ahead. The main issue that upset Singaporean is the constant threat to the livilhood with these foreign workers. I would like to reiterate that I feel that the real issue is not with the foreign workers but with PAP is being too pro-economy where they should be pro-Citizen. We should take care of our own people 1st and fill the remaining holes with the foreign workers. The boss have no problem, they still have big cars and big house. They want gov't to bring in cheap labours so that they can make more money. Most don't care about their Singaporen workers. Only we the citizen can speak up to help our fellow citizens.

I have been objective with regards to the subject. At no point I feel that I have been pro-PAP. I would like to reiterate, I am pro-Singaporeans.

RogerK

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I agree. I gave up reading his trash.

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Again blue has missed the point.

This forum is not for any bashing.. but now your posts has taken a totally 90 degrees turn and if you don't believe me.. ask your friend to read all that you have posted.

For, at first, you posted that you actually liked more foreigners (check your first one on your daughters situation).. is this supporting the pappies and their unpopular white (trash) paper?

If you are not Pro-pap, you certainly have a funny way of proving it, because you kept on defending pappies like it was your "mission". I can understand if you liked certain polices or whatever good that you had gotten from them.. but some good doesn't mean they can continue to mess up things for ALL SINGAPOREANS anymore.

One right don't necessarily erase a few mistakes.. especially when they still show they don't care, they don'w listen, and they have no frigging idea on how to tackle current problems and issues.. only to pull in more foreigners and let us.. yes (you did say you are a common folk) us ordinary Singapore citizens, to deal with the consequences and the probable disasters and all.

You mentioned you have a daughter, then I ask you, "do you want your daughter to compete unnesessarily with foreigners who were "invited" here by the government?" Ask yourself one thing, why bring them here, invest so much money and time on them, instead of using those said resources on local Singaporeans?

Incentives mean nothing in the long term for couples. Only a reduction in living costs and housing prices.

You mentioned your friend in Msia.. who is a Chinese. Then, do you want Singaproeans to be second class, when you see how the government is now telling us that we NEED foreigners, and practically chastising us, saying we are "xenophobic"?

Which government goes about telling it's citizens that they are "xenophobic" and even tells it's citizens to help foreigners to "better integrate" into their society. Who is the guest? The citizens?

If you still refuse to see how much preferential treatment the government is giving to the foreigners, then I have nothing more to post. Continue your blind post and see who else buys your false "preachings".

I am done with you, blue.. for you have shown that you are actually WHITE.

Last edited:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just up levy for all Work permit, S-pass to min $500/month to $1k/month.
That will do .

BlueBrother

Alfrescian
Loyal
I now beginning to see some of the points you have made.

I can’t accept that a Singaporean like DuYunchi has to take loan from family and bank while Singapore gave scholarship to foreigners. If we can afford to sponsor foreigners, we should be able to take care of our own 1st. Du should get the scholarship, subsidies or at the very least interest-free loan to further his education. Definitely Du as a Singaporean will serve NS and will contribute. Better that we set aside some funds for our students than giving it all to Temasek to gamble. Investing in our citizen’s education is sure to pay dividends. Who will be happy to see scholarship given to a M’sia law student when the only thing he has contributed is to a sex blog. There is a guarantee that every Singaporean will contribute to Singapore but a big portion of the foreign scholars will not.

I still think there are some benefits for the scholars to be in Singapore but the benefits can never justify Singaporeans losing the opportunities or finance for further studies. Good foreign scholars can only benefit the elite by raising the bar a little but it compromises on the average Singaporean. Places at elite schools should give priority to Singaporean 1st. If foreigners from the region wants to study in Singapore, they should pay a premium. Education in Singapore for foreigners should be purely for commercial reasons.

Some foreign scholars that came to Singapore are 2 years older and competing with locals that are 2 years younger at the same level. Surely the older student with more years of schooling has an unfair advantage. Furthermore if you send the best from China, the medium grade local students will not have a chance. Exams like GCE "O" level should add 2-4 points to such foreign students so that it levels the playing field, like golf handicap. Only Singaporean students can use CCA to deduct points.

I always feel PAP is more focus on the Elites while the average people is being compromised. That’s why I want more opposition in Parliament.

This is the same in the workforce. Get the best and cheapest in no matter where they are from and screw the rest that can’t compete. The elites are not affected. It’s always the weaker one that suffers. Let’s say if we shrink our economy by 10% and get rid of 20% of the foreigners that are now in Singapore, can Singapore still be economically viable ? If this can be done, we will have more space and less aggravation. Sammyboy will be very quiet as everyone will have a lot of work to do.

We see often that some FT are very good por lumpar with agnmo bosses and the locals will lose out but this is the problem with the Angmo boss. We all know where most of these FT are from. Talk cock sing song very good.