• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

No jail because Peter Khoo showed ‘genuine remorse’ *SHAKE HEAD*

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]No jail because Peter Khoo showed ‘genuine remorse’[/h]
PostDateIcon.png
January 2nd, 2013 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Editorial

ST_20120825_PETER25FJJE_3270286e-300x170.jpg

The former senior vice-president of Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) was spared time behind bars because he “showed remorse”, decided the District Judge who sentenced him on 6 December 2012.

Peter Khoo Chong Meng pleaded guilty on 24 August 2012 to two counts of corruption and one of criminal breach of trust.

Khoo had confessed to pocketing CapitaLand shopping vouchers and taking kickbacks from a supplier, who was his friend, Mr Liaw Kim Chew, a director of Sino British Industries. Khoo pocketed $196,500, including $83,500 in bribes from Mr Liaw and $23,095 in CapitaLand vouchers.

Given the gravity of his offences, many had expected that Khoo would be jailed, but instead he was given a slap on the wrist by District Judge (DJ) Soh Tze Bian, who fined him $100,000, on top of an $83,500 penalty which was the total sum of bribes he pocketed.

According to court documents, the 49-year-old was spared jail because DJ Soh was convinced that Khoo had shown “genuine remorse”.
DJ Soh said Khoo’s voluntary confession in 2010 and full cooperation with the authorities showed genuine remorse.

During sentencing, Khoo’s lawyer had asked for a fine for his client, rather than a jail him. Khoo’s lawyer said his religious convictions had convinced him to confess his crimes and repent before God. Hence, Khoo had voluntarily surrendered and cooperated with the police by even helping the police to detail the items he had bought with the shopping vouchers.

Khoo’s lawyer said that, at one point, he was so guilt-ridden he “contemplated suicide”. Khoo has made full restitution, the lawyer added.
The lawyer also highlighted that during his time at SPH, Khoo had helped raise more than $44 million for the Straits Times School Pocket Money Fund, benefiting 85,000 needy children.

Although the prosecution had pressed for a custodial sentence during sentencing, it did not appeal the sentence when Khoo was merely fined.
Related: Former SPH SVP pleads guilty to corruption and CBT charges

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wah, kangaroo little bit never mind. kangaroo untill like that also can?!

amazing kangaroo court indeed!? knn, genuine or fake remorseful, judge also know wor. sibeh powder leh.

RamNew

Alfrescian
Loyal
smells damn fishy....all strings pulled....

just came out from my Prayer room .

messenger and message is that

KH and Gangnam will be spare

jail term . Just like this Fatty Khoo .

The Reason being KH and Gangnam Co-operate Fully .

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He cannot be the only one who showed 'genuine remorse' but I know many in the same boat. They were not spared but had to be incarcerated. It pays to be on the 'right' side with the 'right' connections. The DJ could have easily sentenced him to a day's jail which means time in the lock-up until end of the day. That, imo, is the more appropriate sentence. If the Tang chap from CK Tang bought a kidney to sustain his life and yet kena one day jail, Peter's case deserves more time in jail.

jw5

Loyal
He cannot be the only one who showed 'genuine remorse' but I know many in the same boat. They were not spared but had to be incarcerated. It pays to be on the 'right' side with the 'right' connections. The DJ could have easily sentenced him to a day's jail which means time in the lock-up until end of the day. That, imo, is the more appropriate sentence. If the Tang chap from CK Tang bought a kidney to sustain his life and yet kena one day jail, Peter's case deserves more time in jail.

This could be the password:

"I have genuine remorse. It was an honest mistake. Please let me move on."

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Which god did he repent to?? the same god that, the Archiebishop nose repented to?? the Duke of Sengkang, 'god"??? what do you thinks??

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Pap scare that by jailing him .. He will write shit about the party ? I cover your ass , u cover mine :wink:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pap scare that by jailing him .. He will write shit about the party ? I cover your ass , u cover mine :wink:

Only the DJ, one Soh Tze Bian will be able to tell us whether he was 'influenced' by his bosses to show favour by not imposing a custodial sentence. Going by past cases, this case surely masuk.