• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious New Punggol HDB flat flooded with sai chwee shit water twice

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
[h=1]New HDB studio flat in Punggol flooded twice by sewage[/h]
After getting the keys to her studio apartment in Punggol in January, Madam Carol Khoo, 61, was looking forward to living in her new place. But it has since been flooded twice by sewage and she cannot imagine living there any longer.
"You don't know when it will happen again," said the part-time security officer, who wants a replacement unit from the Housing Board.
The first incident was in April, while she was on holiday in South Korea. She received a call from the HDB saying that water was seeping from her flat. "I couldn't believe it. I asked, 'Are you sure it's my unit?'" she recalled.

When she returned five days later, she found her 45 sq m flat flooded with dirty water. The cause was later found to be plywood blocking pipes carrying toilet waste. This had caused sewage to overflow from the bathroom drain, she said.
Replying to queries, the HDB said renovation contractors are not allowed to put unwanted materials or debris into the waste pipes.

st_20160703_jhfloodnkeh_2413952.jpg
Dirty water flowing from Madam Khoo's flat into the corridor; sewage stains and a pool of dirty water near a built-in wardrobe; and a messed-up kitchen (above). PHOTOS: COURTESY OF CAROL KHOO
If a contractor is found to have done so, enforcement action - such as financial penalties and demerit points - can be taken against it, under HDB's Registered Renovation Contractors Scheme.
In general, when the HDB receives reports of choked pipes, it investigates and parties found responsible will have to carry out rectification work and bear the costs.
"However, it is not always possible to identify the source of the debris as it could have moved down from higher floors," it said.
Madam Khoo's contractors cleaned up the April mess. Over the next few months, they replaced the skirting, re-grouted the tiles, repainted the walls and replaced the water-damaged built- in wardrobe.
But on June 23 it happened again. The mess was cleaned up the same day, thus causing less damage. However, for Madam Khoo, enough was enough: "I have a phobia of it happening again."
She hopes the HDB will offer her a replacement unit, adding: "I am really desperate for time."
She has already made plans to sell her old four-room flat, with the second appointment with the buyers being on July 19. The HDB said it was " looking into the resident's request for a replacement flat".
In the latest incident, Madam Khoo said workers found cement and cloth blocking the pipes.
To prevent such incidents from happening in their block, all homeowners should do their part by engaging responsible contractors, said renovation firms.
"As a common practice, all contractors or interior-design firms will remind sub-contractors not to dispose of any hard objects in sewage pipes or floor-trap holes," said Mr Dean Lim, director of Ciseern by Designer Furnishings and treasurer of the Singapore Renovation Contractors and Material Suppliers Association.
Mr Lim Kok Huat, who runs Giro General Construction, said such incidents happen when workers are not properly briefed to wipe cement or plaster off their tools before running them under water.
Mr Ron Foo, director of JSR Design & Renovation, said consumers should engage HDB-certified contractors and, if possible, those with further certifications such as a Building and Construction Authority licence or CaseTrust certification.
"Fly-by-night outfits will neither take the trouble to apply for such accreditation, nor will they be able to get it," he said.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
This sinkie woman is really irresponsible. HDB gave her a clean flat, and she demands to return a shit-ridden flat and exchange for another brand new clean flat? Even when you demand for a refund, you should return back the original merchandise in good condition, not in a used and damaged condition. Some sinkies are really unreasonable.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Excuse me, I owned a couple of freehold condos for rental income. People are doing renos all the time in those units, and there is never any such problems like sai chwee spilling into other people's units. Why don't HDB just admit their designs are the shits, no pun intended.

Drath

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excuse me, I owned a couple of freehold condos for rental income. People are doing renos all the time in those units, and there is never any such problems like sai chwee spilling into other people's units. Why don't HDB just admit their designs are the shits, no pun intended.

excuse me I own JB house and I know it's common JB contractors did that exactly throwing rubbish and cement down the toilet bowl . Don't know don't assume don't have and people must be lying.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

HDB will never hesitate to cut corner and cut cost in place where poor peasants stay.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
excuse me I own JB house and I know it's common JB contractors did that exactly throwing rubbish and cement down the toilet bowl . Don't know don't assume don't have and people must be lying.

If you throw stuff inside your toilet bowl and it gets stuck, you overflow your own unit or house. that is your problem. Your contractor throw shit inside the toilet bowk of your JB house, does not flood your neighbour's toilet bowl with sai chwee. U got that or not? This lady has done no renos in her home, the sai chwee is coming in from other neighbours elsewhere in the building that is doing renos. when it backflows into other people's unit like hers, its a bad design.

Drath

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you throw stuff inside your toilet bowl and it gets stuck, you overflow your own unit or house. that is your problem. Your contractor throw shit inside the toilet bowk of your JB house, does not flood your neighbour's toilet bowl with sai chwee. U got that or not? This lady has done no renos in her home, the sai chwee is coming in from other neighbours elsewhere in the building that is doing renos. when it backflows into other people's unit like hers, its a bad design.

The pipes are choked by plywood, cement and cloth - basically renovation debris - and you are blaming HDB for bad design? Are product design supposed to withstand abuse? Also this lady did do Reno in her house as her contractors cleaned up the mess for her.

"The cause was later found to be plywood blocking pipes carrying toilet waste. This had caused sewage to overflow from the bathroom drain, she said."

"Madam Khoo's contractors cleaned up the April mess. Over the next few months, they replaced the skirting, re-grouted the tiles, repainted the walls and replaced the water-damaged built- in wardrobe."

"In the latest incident, Madam Khoo said workers found cement and cloth blocking the pipes."

Drath

Alfrescian
Loyal
The pipes are choked by plywood, cement and cloth - basically renovation debris - and you are blaming HDB for bad design? Are product design supposed to withstand abuse? Also this lady did do Reno in her house as her contractors cleaned up the mess for her.

"The cause was later found to be plywood blocking pipes carrying toilet waste. This had caused sewage to overflow from the bathroom drain, she said."

"Madam Khoo's contractors cleaned up the April mess. Over the next few months, they replaced the skirting, re-grouted the tiles, repainted the walls and replaced the water-damaged built- in wardrobe."

"In the latest incident, Madam Khoo said workers found cement and cloth blocking the pipes."

So blame the irresponsible contractors but ultimate blame is govt for allowing these irresponsible unlicensed contractors to operate. Of course ultimate ultimate blame is the voter.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This sinkie woman is really irresponsible. HDB gave her a clean flat, and she demands to return a shit-ridden flat and exchange for another brand new clean flat? Even when you demand for a refund, you should return back the original merchandise in good condition, not in a used and damaged condition. Some sinkies are really unreasonable.

She returned a renovated flat ...HDB can make a killing from it.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So blame the irresponsible contractors but ultimate blame is govt for allowing these irresponsible unlicensed contractors to operate. Of course ultimate ultimate blame is the voter.

HDB can check this problem if it wants ...just penalize all the contractors if even one chute is blocked. Very quickly, the contractors will police themselves.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
HDB can check this problem if it wants ...just penalize all the contractors if even one chute is blocked. Very quickly, the contractors will police themselves.

HDB can fine all those registered contractors doing renovation in that block, the problem is those unregistered ones that will get away scotfree.