• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Multi Currency account opening

WhatsApp

Alfrescian
Loyal
May I ask if I need to open a multi currency account which bank should I use? My only criteria is must have internet banking facilities.

DBS, HSBC, CITIBANK or others?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am a long time Citibank customer. Recently decided to open a US$ to keep the US dollars I am receiving from my US investments. I gave then a call via the phone banking services they offer & they created an account on the spot without any hassles e.g. filling extra forms.

Citibank does offer internet banking but I don't use it because I don't think it is as safe as phone banking or going personally down to the bank.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i didn;t know there is such a thing as multi currency account!!??!!

anyway, got to know after you mention, thanks.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Opening a multi-currency account is so common and convenient these days that only a mountain tortoise Sinkie has to ask such question. What is more important is the exchange rates for currency switching. Sinkie banks will give you crap rates costing you thousands of dollars when switching large sums from USD to SGD or vice versa or whatever other pairs. This is what you get for voting PAP - why other places can have many local banks with no problems but Sinkieland only can have three local banks? Foreign banks in Sinkieland will follow the example set by the cartel and give you crap rates as well.

Moral of the story? Use a sound foreign bank in a major foreign financial centre. Besides banks, there are other avenues too.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I plan to use the $ mostly to pay for when I travel. So no point in converting to Sing$. Maybe eventually convert USD$ to baht if I decide to move there?

Citibanks are located in Bangkok, Jakarta, Malaysia,... So I think they are better choice than DBS :biggrin:

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
I plan to use the $ mostly to pay for when I travel. So no point in converting to Sing$. Maybe eventually convert USD$ to baht if I decide to move there?

Citibanks are located in Bangkok, Jakarta, Malaysia,... So I think they are better choice than DBS :biggrin:

OCBC and UOB got branches all over asean as well.

WhatsApp

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just avoid doing business with DBS if possible.

Yes I will.

Was at Holland Village where there's a row of banks there so can "shopping" for one, went to DBS, UOB, OCBC, HSBC, Citibank (avoided Maybank). Told them the services I require, other than OCBC most other banks provided almost the same services I required (surprisingly OCBC do lot have internet banking services for foreign currencies and all transactions need to be done over the counter). Rates obviously are different.

Finally I chose Citibank simply because they are in most regional countries and their transfer charges to fellow bank overseas is low. Was told that by tomorrow I'll get my account numbers and possibly tomorrow or the day after will receive security token.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Was at Holland Village where there's a row of banks there so can "shopping" for one, went to DBS, UOB, OCBC, HSBC, Citibank (avoided Maybank). Told them the services I require, other than OCBC most other banks provided almost the same services I required (surprisingly OCBC do lot have internet banking services for foreign currencies and all transactions need to be done over the counter). Rates obviously are different. .....

I had a housing loan with Tat Lee which was taken over by OCBC. From that experience I have a very low opinion of that bank.

In the past I've held bank accounts with POSB(DBS), HSBC, Stand Chart and of course Citibank. I've used a Maybank credit card for over a decade because they have never charged an annual fee. Maybank is more of a neighbourhood bank & popular with old folks,

I now only have a Citibank account because there are no long queues when I do have to visit a branch. I'm satisfied with their services e.g. a free cheque book, phone banking, a decent ATM network, .... I also like their credit card because they give you more time to pay your credit card bills unlike many of the banks which have shorten the due date for payments. Citibank is also more flexible. They have allowed me more time to pay when I was away traveling i.e. they didn't charge a $ penalty.

WhatsApp

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had a housing loan with Tat Lee which was taken over by OCBC. From that experience I have a very low opinion of that bank.

In the past I've held bank accounts with POSB(DBS), HSBC, Stand Chart and of course Citibank. I've used a Maybank credit card for over a decade because they have never charged an annual fee. Maybank is more of a neighbourhood bank & popular with old folks,

I now only have a Citibank account because there are no long queues when I do have to visit a branch. I'm satisfied with their services e.g. a free cheque book, phone banking, a decent ATM network, .... I also like their credit card because they give you more time to pay your credit card bills unlike many of the banks which have shorten the due date for payments. Citibank is also more flexible. They have allowed me more time to pay when I was away traveling i.e. they didn't charge a $ penalty.

Thank you. From this I think I've made the right decision. Will update when they approve my application.

WhatsApp

Alfrescian
Loyal
So a recap here:

Last Wednesday visited Citibank for the first time and promptly opened a USD and SGD account, person-in-charge told me will be ready in 2-3 days meaning Friday or today. On Friday evening he informed me the account numbers and also the package including the token and instructions will be courier to me on Monday which is today.

I was very impressed on Friday by the speed and more impressed by the bank keeping their promise. Now I am very sure I am with he right bank. So with the account numbers I made my first transfer on Saturday.

Will use their internet banking once I receive their package soon.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So a recap here:

Last Wednesday visited Citibank for the first time and promptly opened a USD and SGD account, person-in-charge told me will be ready in 2-3 days meaning Friday or today. On Friday evening he informed me the account numbers and also the package including the token and instructions will be courier to me on Monday which is today.

I was very impressed on Friday by the speed and more impressed by the bank keeping their promise. Now I am very sure I am with he right bank. So with the account numbers I made my first transfer on Saturday.

Will use their internet banking once I receive their package soon.

I'm sure that you will be happy with Citibank like I am. Don't forget that there is a $5,000 minimum.

Today I received mail from OCBC that reminded me why I really dislike them so much. I had a Robinson card which was converted into a credit card run by OCBC. Even though I don't use this credit card they sent me a bill for $192.60 for the annual fee.
This must be one of the highest annual fees around.

kezgtree

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sure that you will be happy with Citibank like I am. Don't forget that there is a $5,000 minimum.

Today I received mail from OCBC that reminded me why I really dislike them so much. I had a Robinson card which was converted into a credit card run by OCBC. Even though I don't use this credit card they sent me a bill for $192.60 for the annual fee.

... They send me 2 card that i did not apply(maybe becoz i have a easi-save account) for, but I activated to use...then they sent me the annual bill whereby i call and request for waiver like all my other cc...it was turn down...so i decided to cancel both the card....I believe many here do not pay for annual subscription...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... They send me 2 card that i did not apply(maybe becoz i have a easi-save account) for, but I activated to use...then they sent me the annual bill whereby i call and request for waiver like all my other cc...it was turn down...so i decided to cancel both the card....I believe many here do not pay for annual subscription...

I think they got new staff that who are being kiasu. A few months ago when I tried to get the charges waived it was harder than normal.
If they give you problems just cancel the card & apply for one at Maybank. The Maybank card I'm holding has no annual fee.

I got it 10+ years ago. Back then they didn't charge an annual fee & I doubt that this has changed. The competition for card users must quite fierce. I've been approached at mrt stations, bus terminals,..

WhatsApp

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes the minimum of 5k is very reasonable. Like you I hope one day I only require only one bank to serve me.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a long time Citibank customer. Recently decided to open a US$ to keep the US dollars I am receiving from my US investments. I gave then a call via the phone banking services they offer & they created an account on the spot without any hassles e.g. filling extra forms.

Citibank does offer internet banking but I don't use it because I don't think it is as safe as phone banking or going personally down to the bank.

I dropped HSBC, SCB ... due to too many useless Ah Neh f trashes there!! DBS UOB & OCBC still okay - not many ah neh

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I dropped HSBC, SCB ... due to too many useless Ah Neh f trashes there!! DBS UOB & OCBC still okay - not many ah neh

I heard that Citi also has indian staff but I haven't come across them. The counter staff & phone agents I have dealt with have so far been Sporeans or maybe Malaysians.

AhBeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does anybody know which bank is good for $US or $CAN? what about transferring money from Singapore to USA or Canada?

WhatsApp

Alfrescian
Loyal
Two cheque books, one each for the two currencies, and the debit card was delivered via normal mail into the letterbox yesterday in 3 separate envelops. Next to come will be the card's password or pin and the token for Internet banking.

Very impressed