• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

M'sians want S'pore to take action against "wrongful" execution

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/s...-action-against-qwrongfulq-execution#JOSC_TOP

M'sians want S'pore to take action against "wrongful" execution
Wednesday, 11 August 2010
Singapore Democrats

Two Malaysian groups went to the Singapore High Commission in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia yesterday calling on Singapore to make restitution for wrongfulling executing Vignes Mourthi in 2003.

lfl.jpg

One of the groups, Lawyers for Liberty led by Malaysian lawyer Mr N Surendran (photo, white shirt), issued a memorandum of protest stating that Vignes was innocent, citing the fact that during one of the appeals former Chief Justice Yong Pung How had conceded that an accused can be hanged on merely procedural grounds.

The memorandum was also signed by the Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall's Civil Rights Committee.

Singapore's High Commissioner Mr T Jasudasen did not meet the presenters. Instead First Secretary Mr Walter Chia received the memorandum on behalf of the High Commissioner.

Among those who delivered the memorandum was Vignes' father Mr Mourthi Vasu who wanted his son's name cleared posthumously. Mr Mourthi insisted that his son was innocent. Vignes maintained his innocence until his hanging in 2003.

vignes.jpg

A wedding photo of Vignes Mourthi

The controversy is exacerbated by the fact that the police officer, Sergeant Rajkumar, who said that he had bought heroin from Vignes as an undercover narcotics officer was himself convicted bribery.At the time of Vignes trial, Sgt Rajkumar was already under investigation for his offence although this was not revealed. Observers say that this could have affected the officer's testimony against Vignes.

The matter was first raised by Singapore human rights lawyer Mr M Ravi in his book Hung At Dawn. Mr Ravi had represented Vignes during the appeal stages.

This was subsequently picked up by Mr Alan Shadrake in his book Once A Jolly Hangman. Mr Shadrake has since been arrested and charged with contrempt of court for his book and is being investigated for criminal defamation. His hearing will be held on 30 Aug 10 in the High Court.

Although not banned, Once A Jolly Hangman is not allowed to be sold in Singapore bookstores. Bookstores in Johor Baru are capitalising on this and making brisk business with the book.

The memorandum of protest has also called for Mr Shadrake's prosecution to be halted. The groups also want the Government to acknowledge the "enormous miscarriage of justice" in the execution of Vignes Mourthi and to "make amends" to his family.

In the meantime Mr Mourthi says he will engage a lawyer to take the Singapore Government to court to clear his son's name.

The saga is triggered by the impending execution of 21-year-old Sabahan Mr Yong Vui Kong was is convicted of trafficking drugs in Singapore.

giggity_shit

Alfrescian
Loyal
The matter was first raised by Singapore human rights lawyer Mr M Ravi in his book Hung At Dawn. Mr Ravi had represented Vignes during the appeal stages.

This was subsequently picked up by Mr Alan Shadrake in his book Once A Jolly Hangman. Mr Shadrake has since been arrested and charged with contrempt of court for his book and is being investigated for criminal defamation. His hearing will be held on 30 Aug 10 in the High Court.

Both books claim some improper procedural activities by the courts yet Shadrake is charged and not Ravi? Anyone knows why the difference?

kirby

Alfrescian
Loyal
wahlaneh...
hang those who oppose hanging lah.

Hopefully your statement won't come back to haunt you one day.:(

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Famous statement attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group.

manokie

Alfrescian
Loyal
They are Wayanging :mad:

If they really care, please stop exports of water and chickens to Singapore :mad: