• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ms Management Guru

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal
Temasek's outgoing CEO Ho Ching among 55 recipients of May Day awards
By S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 29 April 2009 2001 hrs
<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="260"> <tbody><tr> <td align="right" width="20"> </td> <td align="right" width="240">
phpZ8tM9p.jpg
</td> </tr> <tr> <td valign="top" height="60"> </td> <td class="update" valign="top" height="60"> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="138">Photos </td> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="47">1 of 1</td> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="18"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnPrev" value="<< Previous" onclick="Prev();" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" type="image" width="18" height="15"></td> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="19"><input id="bntPlay" value="Play - Stop" onclick="Play()" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" type="image" width="19" height="15"></td> <td bgcolor="#f6f6f6" width="18"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnNext" value=" Next >> " onclick="Next();" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" type="image" width="18" height="15"></td> </tr> </tbody></table>
dotline_240.gif

Ms Ho Ching (file pic)</td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> <td class="update"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> <td>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

SINGAPORE: Fifty-five individuals and companies received this year's May Day awards on Wednesday evening.

Topping the list are Temasek Holdings' outgoing CEO Ho Ching and Wing Tai's senior advisor James Lee, while executive secretary of the Singapore Bank Employees Union, Michael Chang, received the Comrade of Labour (Star) Award.

When Temasek Holdings decided to sell its power generation companies two years ago, Ms Ho anticipated the anxieties of its union leaders.

She said: "One of things I decided was that I had to introduce my team to one particular union leader, so that they can feel the spirit and they can feel what it means at the ground level.

Notice she never said "... so that WE can feel the spirit and WE can feel what it means at the ground level."? She conveniently left herself out.

"This particular union leader, Nithi, was at the final stages of kidney cancer, so I brought my chaps to visit him at his home, to speak to him and I think at the end of it, they understood what it meant because they not only worked hard to make sure that we understand the union's concerns and work with management and the board to address those concerns, but more importantly, the team made the effort to ensure that potential new owners will also meet with the unions.

Her talent is applicable only when speaking with the almost dead. Which probably explains why she does so well with GIC - it's almost dead too.

"In that way, it was not just the trust between ourselves and the unions and the management, but also to try and transfer this trust with the new owners because this is over the long term and we wanted to make sure that whoever the new owners are, understood that in the context of Singapore, we do pay a lot of attention to maintaining this trust and mutual confidence."

Did she just say "mutual confidence"? Haha.

And trust is key to successful management-union relations.

"Really, it is finding the common grounds to pull people together and work for the long term and try to overcome short-term difficulties. Even in this crisis, it is a question of time before it is over.

"It's about pulling people to survive, to overcome short-term difficulties and to maintain that trust and mutual confidence because without that, we will be pulling in different directions and once that trust is broken, it is very hard to repair.

"So I think particularly during this crisis, it is very, very critical that we work hard maintaining that dialogue and communication, and reinforce the fact that we are all together for the long term," said Ms Ho.

Straight out of some management textbook, probably prepped by some anonymous speechwriter.

Pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline, which received the Plaque of Commendation (Gold), has also been successful at cultivating healthy industrial relations with its union, Chemical Industries Employees Union (CIEU).

The company plans to cross-train employees to make them more flexible in a fast-changing business environment.

Christopher Dobson, MD of GlaxoSmithKline, said: "The benefit that we have is we can talk to the CIEU about the business, about the problems we have and about the challenges.

"As a consequence of tripartism, we can work together. We work together to grow the cake, we don't spend time fighting over the cake; we get a lot from this working relationship."

Treating staff with sincerity is another important factor for a company's success.

Wing Tai's Mr Lee said: "You don't wait till the crisis comes, then you send your staff for training. You get yourself all prepared for that. Training to us is very important.

"When we are facing a crisis, I always get hold of my general managers to discuss with their own team, and if I want to save some costs, they will come and suggest to me how they're going to save costs."

Companies that received the May Day awards are also active with efforts to re-employ older workers.

Please, for goodness sakes, re-employ any older worker but Ms Ho.

- CNA/so

mscitw

Alfrescian
Loyal
From Micropolis to Temasek, many carcasses filled the streets, if one carcass = 1USD that she BURNT.

Because Her Highness is a member of the Imperial Family, there is no wrong in her wrongs.

Uniquely Peasantpore.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what a disgrace.
totally tainted the may day award.
it is like giving nobel peace prize to Arafat. Totally taint the nobel peace prize, i hope the scum bag in norway rot in hell for giving a terrrorist the nobel prize.