• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Moving to WA,Australia. (28th March)

Rafael Vandervaart

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello brothers... i will be moving to WA(Bunbury) next week...
Would be great if any of u can share tips on things and pitfalls to look out for. :o

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Perth is getting crowded. If you are looking for rental properties, you will really need good references and show that you are able to pay the rent.
Cost of living going up. :(

Personally, just be aware and tailor your expectations accordlingly but do not have to get too concerned.

Worse case scenerio.
One choice is to enrol into a university course and let the university student housing find you an off-campus private property. You can quit the course after one term and still continue to live in the same property while you watch out for better housing. :biggrin:

I understand that the owner of this forum has disowned NZ and now claims to live in Toa Payoh. :biggrin:

Kiwis arriving in record numbers

THE equivalent population of a New Zealand city has moved to Australia over the past year - lured by the resources boom and escaping the aftermath of the Christchurch earthquake that lingers at home.

The number of New Zealanders arriving in Australia hit a record high of 36,889 in the year to December 31, according to data released yesterday by Statistics New Zealand.

That net-migration figure stood at 35,836 arrivals for the year to November 30.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/business/kiwis-arriving-in-record-numbers-20120203-1qxqv.html#ixzz1ppYFctyX

The good thing about Australia is that I do not have to try too hard to be perfect. :smile:
Everyone have their own shortcomings, including me. Everyone practice double-standard. So what? We are humans.
Learn to live happily.
I will be sad if Perth becomes less of a laid-back place.

Last edited:

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
yeah... getting kind of worried by the housing news.

I am thinking rent a house at the beginning near my kids schools, in order to get them in - then look for a place to buy maybe a bit more ulu, at a more affordable price.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
but this story of referrals... how to get referrals to rent houses when one has never lived in Oz before?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
but this story of referrals... how to get referrals to rent houses when one has never lived in Oz before?

I wrote about the rental shortage in case you need to rent a bit more expensive (eg $30-80 more per week) or be a bit less choosy. It is a good idea to be kept informed of new rental listing the moment they appear.

Go to http://www.realestate.com.au/rent or http://www.aussiehome.com.au/.

Aussiehome is run by a British teacher who taught in Singapore for 10 years, and his Singaporean wife. They migrated to Perth for more than 10 years already.

They have this service and know Singaporeans lah.

FAQ: Can you find me a property?
SURE CAN!
Simply sign up for the FREE "Aussiehomehunt" service, on the homepage (click here for the link), and we'll email you matching properties every week (Friday 2pm WST). We can also send you new alerts the minute the property is entered.

Get one from your employer.

My Malaysian friend stayed at a motel for 2 weeks while searching for properties. First thing he did is to inform the property agent that he is a family man (read: responsible).

He is one kiasu person so he got a nice administrator at the migrant services centre write a nice referral letter for him as well. That centre has closed. I believe you can also get one from http://www.centrecare.com.au/catholic-migrant-services/

In Perth, can get things done easily. My wife used to work as property manager so she wrote one nice one for her friend. :smile:

You got CPA Australia friend in Singapore, can also write one for you.

I am heading off to Japan and Italy for vacation. So I will not write.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

xenomorph

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wrote about the rental shortage in case you need to rent a bit more expensive (eg $30-80 more per week) or be a bit less choosy. It is a good idea to be kept informed of new rental listing the moment they appear.

got a friend moved to perth from sydney.
the rental situation is not that bad. where do you hear from?

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bunbury is a good choice. Better than expensive cities like Sydney.

For housing, cars, jobs, food etc, read the Bunbury Herald, South Western Times and Bunbury Mail.

For some asian food, try Just One Thai, located at 59 Victoria St.

Or if you simply want to cook at home, buy your stuff from Cynthia's Asian Food Supply, phone 08 9792 4515.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hello brothers... i will be moving to WA(Bunbury) next week...
Would be great if any of u can share tips on things and pitfalls to look out for. :o

Nice. Welcome to the South-West!

It is kind of lonely out there, but you should be able to get asian food/groceries around Victoria Ave or just head for Centrepoint Shpping Centre.

Things are more expensive than Sydney these days.

At least the shops are open on Sundays, unlike Perth. (eg IKEA, where I get my cheap furniture, is closed on Sundays)

If you come to Perth, better to drive than take the Australind.

Anyway, that is what they call that region of WA. :smile:

So, are you renting a car to drive from the airportt to Bunbury?
It will be a lot smoother with the Forrest Hwy.

I just remember that Daylight saving will be over in 1 Apr 2012 Does not apply to WA but good to know that Autumn is around the corner.

Last edited:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To the person who PM me. I decided to keep your privacy in case you get harassed as well.
I have some issues with my PM inbox so I continue here.

Basically, migrants should be equiped with thicker hide and do not be so petty and calculative (initially).
Remember, we migrate for a better life and will rather leave the "Singapore" baggage behind us.

We are humans and we make mistakes. There are silver lining in mistakes as well, such as we learn new things. :smile:

You mentioned about that troll harassing me.
It does not bother me at all. The irony is that I was skyping with my ex-wife happily and giving her some advice.

That troll can call me whatever names he wants. I have the right to reply. :smile: I choose not to engage with someone who do not know me or my current status.

Moreover it is easy for him to just copy and paste quick replies. That is his show of power, what a weakling.

In Australia, this type of thing is nothing. See how the Aussie PM get shits everyday but she still go about doing her job. The mining billionnaires are getting shits from the govt but they are not least bothered, except taking opportunities to return the "favor"

To be assertive is important. The kids here are taught to have their opinions! Something not found in Singapore education system.

Do not be too calculative or petty. A lot of Singaporeans are. A lot of older Australians are. These Australians live in a world where white dominate and they are used to be rich and respected. They thought they still live in that kind of world. The new world order is affecting them big time!

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was reading up a blog of one Singaporean who moved to Perth last year - what an eye opener. He was a project mgr in SG, but now doing blue collar work whilst looking for a better job. I guess one needs to be mentally prepared to get out of the comfort zone and hands deep in the dirt and find some means to make it once over there. Yet, he posts about how he enjoys the weekends and after work hours (the drives to other suburbs and seasides, and weekend barbeques, and spending time with family and friends).

I guess this is what I am looking for, too. Willing to work hard during working hours, but after hours and weekends - these should be family time without thinking about work.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess this is what I am looking for, too. Willing to work hard during working hours, but after hours and weekends - these should be family time without thinking about work.

Welcome to this land of freedom !.. Family bond is where it's started !

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
neddy you fucking loser :oIo:

your ex-wife took your kids and you considered it 'lucky'for you? what type of father you are? the irresponsible, bochup and heartless type must be. i am glad your kids are totally detached from your life now:oIo: no wonder you dont even bother to pay for their maintenance.

neddy you really have a fuck up character.

Stop ya bullshit, you son of the mother goat ! Ppl trying to read arsehole !

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiya why you so feed the troll again ah ? Must learn from neddy. Like this he paste paste once in a while and make the thread up again leh.

Don't ever force me to send one of my HIV positive chicken to bite your arse off.. Hehe

Australia has no housing crisis lah, just people that don't want to live far away. We got so many land here. Mind you, far means not on the beach ok or too 10 min to the city. Its like saying people don't like staying in Woodlands because too far from orchard road.

http://smh.domain.com.au/blogs/talking-property/are-you-a-property-snob-20120326-1vuzb.html

Are you a property snob?
March 27, 2012 - 12:04PM
Read laterComments 163
If you live in a major city and you haven't looked further than 10 kilometres out of the CBD, you could be a property snob.

That's the accusation of one property expert, who points the finger particularly at his hometown – Sydney – saying there is plenty of affordable property, people just aren't looking hard enough.

Not that Robert Mellor, managing director of BIS Shrapnel, used the word snob, but he did have this to say: "People have got to ultimately balance up where they want to live, where they can afford to live versus where they want to live and unfortunately Sydney people have been a bit slower to make that judgment than other parts, particularly compared to Melbourne.

Advertisement: Story continues below
"If you look in the Sydney market now, in the outer suburbs of Sydney, the lower quartile price in Sydney is now less than Melbourne."

Does Mellor have a point? He is probably one of the more qualified people to speak on the issue – by virtue of where he lives – Rooty Hill, 42 kilometres from the Sydney CBD. The suburb with the massive RSL that Julia and Tony chose to speak at during the last election when they wanted to get in touch with "the people".

"I've lived out that way [all my life]," Mellor told me during a BIS Shrapnel housing presentation late last week. "I lived in Mount Druitt on a poultry farm when I was growing up and then after I married, I lived in St Marys for a number of years and I've been in the Rooty Hill area for about 25 years."

Mellor says if you're looking in the right suburbs, there are plenty of properties under $400,000.

"There's certainly a stack of property below $400,000, and if you go under $500,000 then you are talking, in most areas [of western Sydney], it's 90 per cent of property basically," he says.

"You can find plenty of properties in western, south-western Sydney, established properties that are well-priced and well within the means of people if they want to get into the market. There's still a gap between established prices and new dwellings but that premium has now narrowed compared to what it was three years ago."

Perhaps Sydneysiders could take a leaf out of their southern cousins' books?

"In Melbourne they seem to be quite happy to continue to buy up in these new suburbs 30, 40 kms from the centre of the city but not in Sydney," says Mellor.

Admittedly, it is often surprising to see the prices in many of Sydney's outer areas when you consider the median price of the city overall is $636,822 (according to the Fairfax Media-owned Australian Property Monitors), which can create the illusion that buying a home anywhere in Sydney costs that much, too.

One of the problems, says Mellor, is that "people in Sydney are fairly ignorant" when it comes to what services are available in some of the western areas.

Take public transport, for example.

"The western line has actually got a fairly good train line, yes it's getting more towards capacity but you know, I can get a fast train from Mt Druitt, I get a seat 90-odd per cent of the mornings," says Mellor.

"If I don't get it straight away I get one by Parramatta. So it's actually quite well-placed but it's not on most people's radar."

Incidentally, the fast train trip from Mount Druitt to Town Hall takes as little as 46 minutes.

Part of the problem, says Mellor, is the media's fascination with auctions – which are popular in Sydney and Melbourne, but aren't the prime method of selling in many outer suburbs of the Harbour City.

"We put all our focus on auction figures but in the western suburbs of Sydney you'd be lucky to get 5 per cent of property selling by auction," Mellor says.

Do you think home buyers need to look further afield? Or are there very good reasons for sticking with what you know?

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiya why you so feed the troll again ah ? Must learn from neddy. Like this he paste paste once in a while and make the thread up again leh.

Australia has no housing crisis lah, just people that don't want to live far away. We got so many laInd here. Mind you, far means not on the beach ok or too 10 min to the city. Its like saying people don't like staying in Woodlands because too far from orchard road.

[/QUOTE] Good point ! I dunno wh...lose to city Chinatown, Box hill and Richmond

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
No beach, pub there right? So no one want to move there loh. Aussies have it good, they want everything where they stay.

Good point ! I dunno why I have constantly received noise that my decision to purchase 7km East is wrong ! They have no idea what I reach home everyday.. as well as the tram servicing around the area, the best schools, importantly, saving my diesel coz it is close to city Chinatown, Box hill and Richmond

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha.. Bro, it is a leafy suburb with parks and good schools.. perhaps some kopi areas nia.
Young adults or parents preferred St Kilda - beach area or Fitzroy - pubs & cafes..
Sporeans prefer new house & new suburbs..
Muslim prefer Northern suburbs.

Brainy parents still prefer Eastern Suburbs - No big trucks, no heavy industries, no sewer plant, no bad CO2... no (less) crime :smile:

No beach, pub there right? So no one want to move there loh. Aussies have it good, they want everything where they stay.

ZorrorroZ

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another quitter reporting! Great news!! I just received the good news... it's going to be sayonara orchard road, hello kangaroos!