• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mono-cultural flag bearers

Areopagus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Interesting how the racial balance on all the NDP posters suddenly disappears when the YOG flag is being carried in....

I guess it is because Malays in Singapore do not play football anymore or perhaps Indians don't run... or ???

Home > News > 8 S'poreans from diverse backgrounds chosen as YOG flagbearers
8 S'poreans from diverse backgrounds chosen as YOG flagbearers

8 S'poreans from diverse backgrounds chosen as YOG flagbearers8 S'poreans from diverse backgrounds...

SINGAPORE: Eight Singaporeans will be walking with the national flag in hand at the Youth Olympic Games opening ceremony next Saturday.

The flagbearers come from diverse backgrounds and are inspirational role models.

They will be wearing specially-designed white tracksuits with the national flag emblazoned in front and the Youth Olympic Games, YOG, logo at the back.

Six of the eight Singaporean flagbearers, however, do not come from sports backgrounds.

The National Youth Council said they were chosen for their achievements across diverse fields and for being "inspirational role models for young people".

All are winners of the Singapore Youth Award, the nation's highest accolade for youths.

One of them is 32-year-old Lina Chong. The assistant manager at Nanyang Polytechnic was informed about her role about three weeks ago, and was pleasantly surprised.

"I am glad they actually identified a heartlander because I am not your next superstar and they chose a heartlander to represent the nation," she said.

The oldest flagbearer is 37-year-old Clinton Ang. The former national junior badminton player in the 80s said the opening ceremony will allow him to live the YOG dream in some way.

He said: "Being the oldest flagbearer, I can only wish to have the ability to participate in the great event like the YOG. Youths today are very blessed to have the opportunity that their fathers and forefathers have never dreamed to be engaged in."

While the flagbearers have yet to attend rehearsals, they are ready to "put on a good show for the rest of the world".