• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MM Lee criticizes Japan’s political system which is based on seniority

FangZiYuen

Alfrescian
Loyal
MM Lee Kuan Yew criticized Japan for having a political system based on seniority and urged its leaders to learn from China, which requires its political leaders to step down when they turn 65.

He was speaking at a dialogue organised by the Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry yesterday.

China’s current President Hu Jintao is serving his second five-year term and is expected to step down by 2012 together with his premier Wen Jiabao to give way to a new generation of leaders.

Mr Lee said this is what is being done in Singapore before realizing that he is the most senior member in the present cabinet:

We also have a rule, I’m the exception to the rule, I’m 86….But I’m not doing the work; I’m just forecasting… The work is being done by younger people in their late 40s and 50s. So there’s an energy and a drive, and an understanding of the contemporary world. And they are also linked up with the younger generation of voters,” he added.

In his eagerness to dispense with his usual dose of (highfalutin) wisdom to the Japanese and to impress his audience, it appears that it has slipped Mr Lee’s mind that the Singapore’s political system is based on seniority too and there is no rule in Singapore requiring its leaders to step down when they reach a certain age.

For a small nation like Singapore, it has two former prime ministers in the cabinet, one as a senior minister and the other is Lee himself – the minister mentor, in addition to two deputy ministers, both of whom are above 62 years of age.

Mr Lee should walk his talk first before asking Japan to learn from China and set the example himself by stepping down completely from all positions in office by the next election when he will be 87 years of age.

Having already broken the world record for being the oldest MP in parliament, there is no need for him to set another record again by being the first living MP who is above 90 years of age.

Regardless of the reality, the lingering presence of the elder Lee in the Singapore government will continue to fuel the public perception that he is still “running the show” from behind.

After all, his honorific title “minister mentor” seems to suggest that his role is to “mentor” the ministers including the prime minister as and when the need arises.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i dun think he should be lecturing the japs.
when the japs are far ahead of singapore in term of political freedom, press freedom, non censorship and economic.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
i dun think he should be lecturing the japs.
when the japs are far ahead of singapore in term of political freedom, press freedom, non censorship and economic.

Aiyah, he work for them before during the war mah. To him the Japs are fellow brothers in arms, so he can suka suka talk cock with them and swap war stories.