• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Min seats required to block legislation in Parliament?

AndroAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a Singaporean, but I know more about American political system than Singapore's hahaha...

In the US, a party needs 60% of the seats in order to pass legislation. Technically, it is 51%, but there is a thing called filibustering that raises the min. number of votes to 60%.

How does it work in Singapore? How many non-PAP seats is needed to block new laws that PAP passes in parliament (assuming everyone vote according to party lines PAP vs non-PAP)? Is it 60%? 67%? Or does a simple majority vote means the legislation gets passed?

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Simple bills require only 50% plus one present - NMPs and NCMPs can vote on these. The speaker has the deciding vote. Amendments to the constitution require the assent of at least 2/3 of the house present - not sure about the speaker's role in this. Only elected members can vote on these.

No filibustering in our parliament. In fact, time allowed for debate is ridiculously short.

AndroAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Simple bills require only 50% plus one present - NMPs and NCMPs can vote on these. The speaker has the deciding vote. Amendments to the constitution require the assent of at least 2/3 of the house present - not sure about the speaker's role in this. Only elected members can vote on these.

No filibustering in our parliament. In fact, time allowed for debate is ridiculously short.

WTF man... only simple majority need to pass new legislation. I know that our stupid parliament works in such a way that the MPs must always vote according to party lines (unlike US where politicans can go against their own party should they choose). So what's the use of 40% opposition then? Can they block law that change HDB, CPF? Like if PAP says I want CPF retirement to go to 70, can a 40% opposition do anything??

Last edited:

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
WTF man... only simple majority need to pass new legislation. I know that our stupid parliament works in such a way that the MPs must always vote according to party lines (unlike US where politicans can go against their own party should they choose). So what's the use of 40% opposition then? Can they block law that change HDB, CPF? Like if PAP says I want CPF retirement to go to 70, can a 40% opposition do anything??

All parties everywhere in the world have whips. In Singapore situation and (im)balance of power now, the PAP whip is extremely and undefiably strong as its a 82:2 seats situation. No sane PAP MP is going to defy the whip unless prepared to resign or defect to very small parties hopleless of gaining power. However in a more common western situation of 65:45 ratio, opposition members can be persuaded to defy their whip because their whip may not really dare to whip, since losing MPs may mean losing majority and power.

Last edited:

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am a Singaporean, but I know more about American political system than Singapore's hahaha...

In the US, a party needs 60% of the seats in order to pass legislation. Technically, it is 51%, but there is a thing called filibustering that raises the min. number of votes to 60%.

You obviously don't know too much. Haven't you heard of the "nuclear" option?

AndroAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
All parties everywhere in the world have whips. In Singapore situation and (im)balance of power now, the PAP whip is extremely and undefiably strong as its a 82:2 seats situation. No sane PAP MP is going to defy the whip unless prepared to resign or defect to very small parties hopleless of gaining power. However in a more common western situation of 65:45 ratio, opposition members can be persuaded to defy their whip because their whip may not really dare to whip, since losing MPs may mean losing majority and power.

Are you sure whips also exist in non-UK style democracy? It's quite common to see US senators and representatives to go against the party consensus in their vote. If there is a whip is US system, it is quite non-existent.

AndroAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
so how many oppositions needed to block pap to pass any legislation?

It seems that the no. of opposition needed to block legislation is the same as that needed to pass legislation, i.e. 51%. How sad... in other more democractic systems, you need a supermajority, e.g. 60% to pass, which means that a 40% opposition can block. Not to mention that many democractic systems are bicameral (meaning that the law has to be approved by two separate bodies of the government).

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It seems that the no. of opposition needed to block legislation is the same as that needed to pass legislation, i.e. 51%. How sad... in other more democractic systems, you need a supermajority, e.g. 60% to pass, which means that a 40% opposition can block. Not to mention that many democractic systems are bicameral (meaning that the law has to be approved by two separate bodies of the government).

brother, since its the case. lets give oppositions the vote and let them be the majority!!!

AndroAsc

Alfrescian
Loyal
brother, since its the case. lets give oppositions the vote and let them be the majority!!!

Wishful thinking my friend... I hope so too, but I must remember most Sinkies are balless and gutless suffers of Stockholm Syndrome. Even if the erections are free and fair (which it is not - TP GRC walkover just proved it), I believe the best oppos can get is maybe 1/3 of parliament. Which is why I asked my original question.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Simple majority will do 51%. But if more opposition they gov need to debate more harder to convince people.
If mojority small the bill will take longer to pass. Maybe delay by half year to 2 year. Because need to provide more data and convince people to accept.
Gov also unlikely want to pass the bill if the citizen does not like it because that bill will hunt then on next election.