• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Migration Destination - Is NZ out of recession?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is why I need to make more money here (Perth) before semi-retiring in NZ.

Asians ditch identities in hunt for jobs
4:00 AM Saturday Apr 3, 2010
Terence King. Photo / Greg Bowker

Desperate job-seeking Asians are not only taking on Anglicised first names but also officially ditching their traditional surnames for European-sounding ones in the hope that will help them find work in New Zealand.

One Chinese woman even changed her name to Brenda Jones in an attempt to get a job interview in the tough economic climate.

About 21,000, or 9.2 per cent, of the Asian population are without jobs, and experts say their foreign-sounding names have contributed to their unemployment woes.

Massey University researcher Paul Spoonley says New Zealand employers, especially in small and medium-sized businesses, tend to eliminate Asian applicants very early in the process through surname discrimination.

"We have a lot of research and anecdotal evidence that New Zealand employers are reluctant to employ Asians, so changing surnames is a novel way of getting a CV read," he said.

Last year, people born in Asia formed most of the overseas-born people who sought to have their names changed with the Department of Internal Affairs.

Since March last year, 2029 immigrants have registered to change their names, with the top five countries of origin being Samoa (291), China (264), India (152), Iraq (98) and Malaysia (97).

Although Samoans topped the department's name-change register, the Weekend Herald understands many of these were to add chiefly titles rather than adopt Anglicised names.

Other countries with significant numbers include Taiwan, South Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia and Singapore.

Asian immigrants told the Weekend Herald they changed their names in a desperate attempt to find work.

Most did not want to be identified because they thought it could jeopardise their job hunt.

The Chinese immigrant who changed her name to Brenda Jones said she did so after failing to get a single job interview when her former classmates, European New Zealanders who graduated from the same IT course, were getting employed.

"I was feeling very desperate and very small," she said. "Changing my name is not something I am proud of doing, but I really didn't know what else to do."

Another, who changed her surname from Teoh to May with an English first name, said a job interviewer at Work and Income advised her to do so.

"She told me that with an Asian surname, employers will automatically think that I cannot speak English," said Miss May, a former retail manager.

A University of Auckland School of Business survey in 2005 found anti-Asian discrimination to be significant among employers.

It found that even without immigration status consideration, having a Chinese or Indian name significantly raised chances of being considered unsuitable.

Chinese applicants with Anglicised first names were considered slightly less unsuitable than those with traditional names.

Justin Treagus, director of Omega, a programme which uses a mentoring scheme to help immigrants find employment, says the recession has aggravated discrimination.

"I think the economic recession has brought many Kiwi employers back to their old habits, and maybe even made it worse."

One Asian immigrant, who changed his surname from Wang to King, believes it has worked for him.

Lai Ming Wang, now Terence King, says it got him an interview that eventually landed him a bank job.

"I got that job interview only after submitting my CV with my new surname, and getting that interview meant I could prove that I am well versed in English and have the ability to do the job," he said.

An Internal Affairs spokesman says only those who are New Zealand citizens or permanent residents with indefinite visas can register for an official name change - but others are still free to use Anglicised names unofficially.

Race Relations Commissioner Joris de Bres says it is unlawful under the Human Rights Act to refuse immigrants a job or an interview because of their ethnicity or race.

"It takes away someone's chance to be judged on their merits and it goes against the idea of New Zealand as a fair society."

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
What a stark contrast compared to the way the Singapore govt handles the problem of unemployment. :p

Welfare review to consider unemployment insurance

8:11 AM Wednesday Apr 14, 2010
<!-- -->
<!-- ARTICLE BODY - START -->
A_090509HOSJDREBSTOCK11_220x147.jpg

Welfare Working Group chairwoman Paula Rebstock. File photo / Janna Dixon

The government-appointed Welfare Working Group will consider unemployment insurance, similar to that in Canada, among options for reforming the social security system, says the group's chairwoman Paula Rebstock.

But such insurance would need to sit alongside the welfare system and not replace it, the former Commerce Commission chairwoman told Radio New Zealand today.

Social Development Minister Paula Bennett said the Government would not pre-empt the review group's findings. The group was formed as part of the Government's welfare package announced in March.

Ms Bennett said it would look at the causes and solutions of long-term welfare dependence and would develop options for creating a more sustainable and fair welfare system. International models were worth investigating, she said.

Victoria University's Institute of Policy Studies will host the Welfare Working Group. Members include academics, employers and community leaders, with Ms Rebstock chairing the group. They will have their first meeting this month and are expected to report back by December.
- NZPA

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
samleong,

fuck you! CCB. hope your lan cheow get rotten soon!:oIo::oIo::oIo:

I know it is erection year in Sinkapore.
With PAP fucking the citizens, and FTs taking away Singaporeans jobs and Singapore women.
I wonder whose lan cheow get rotten?
:biggrin:
Better migrate to save your lan cheow.
Otherwise, get out of Migration folder.

earmosim

Alfrescian
Loyal
"That is why I need to make more money here (Perth) before semi-retiring in NZ."

Talking about recession, I still see plenty of people in the restaurants, entertainments etc in Auckland

Some people (overseas kiwi, pr) are returning due to overseas job woes causing shortage of rental in some areas.

Property market seems to be on the rise again, in some good areas such as North Shore, auckland.

In this so called recession, many people take the opportunity to do up their house, cos builders are more eager to work and better bargaining powers for buyers if you are into property investments.

In short, if you are looking for employment, it will be a bit difficult as many people are, new prs, returning kiwis etc. But, if you are setting up business, into acquisition, it is a good opportunity, a damn good era of opportunity. :smile:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Eh, if NZ/Aust out of recession. Singapore out of recession yet? I thought MIWs said Singapore is "booming" again ah ?

earmosim

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Eh, if NZ/Aust out of recession. Singapore out of recession yet? I thought MIWs said Singapore is "booming" again ah ? "

NZ GDP is now positive albeit weak, is technically out of recession.
Aust, one lucky country, was not in recession technically. Main reason was mineral resources, in high demand and pull australia economy together despite global meltdown.

Remember asia financial crisis? soon, this crisis will be forgotten, and this crisis will be remembered in terms of acedemic interests only. :smile:

wendypoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
One Chinese woman even changed her name to Brenda Jones in an attempt to get a job interview in the tough economic climate.

Did she dye her hair and wear blue eyes contact lenses as well?