• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Microwave in the airline cabin ?

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have always wondered how the cabin crew help warm the food during flight. Is there a giant microwave oven in the cabin ? And if you look at the plastic utensils and aluminium foil that come with your airline food, it's unlikely that the food is warmed via microwave.

Any flight attendants care to shed some light ?

vamjok

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have always wondered how the cabin crew help warm the food during flight. Is there a giant microwave oven in the cabin ? And if you look at the plastic utensils and aluminium foil that come with your airline food, it's unlikely that the food is warmed via microwave.

i have friends who work in airport kitchen before. you guess it right lol

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal

They have ovens in the galley to to heat the pre-cooked food before serving to passengers. Sometimes, it is good to take a walk while in flight and speak with the cabin crew, such conversations could help you understand a lot and also help time pass faster.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
They have ovens in the galley to to heat the pre-cooked food before serving to passengers. Sometimes, it is good to take a walk while in flight and speak with the cabin crew, such conversations could help you understand a lot and also help time pass faster.

Ha....I'm interested. What kind of ovens are those ?

I only know of microwave ovens and the conventional ovens that are used to bake cakes.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal

I understand it's neither microwave nor conventional oven, it's another kind of heater specially designed for airliners. Only the main course wrapped in aluminium foil is heated, the side dishes are all served at room temperature. Of course the utensils are added to the tray after heating, not heated with the main course. In the past, stainless steel utensils were used. Usually very good quality and some passengers actually stole them home whether out of petty greed or for souvenir. After 9/11 then it became plastic as steel forks and knives are considered potentially dangerous weapons.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I understand it's neither microwave nor conventional oven, it's another kind of heater specially designed for airliners.

I want to buy that special oven. I hope I don't have to get it from Boeing or Airbus, the companies that made those planes. :smile:

Any flight attendants around ?

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
I want to buy that special oven. I hope I don't have to get it from Boeing or Airbus, the companies that made those planes. :smile:

I don't know if it's available in domestic version. It's installed as part of the airplane with a lot of slots and I estimate one installation heats up 50 to 100 one shot in in a 747, which I think have two or three such installations per plane.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Most of the big planes have oven, also have microwave, but hardly use, for 1 items or emergency only

Pioneer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nowadays ss cutlery are inexpensive. No need to embarass in front of your guests using stolen cutlery.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
The proper name is 'galley oven', and it appears that such ovens are steam ovens.

steam-oven.jpg

The design of the oven ensures that the interior cavity does not become pressurised and the steam pan, smooth interior surfaces and overall design prevents limescale build-up in inaccessible places and makes it easy to clean and maintain.

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?88491-Microwave-in-the-airline-cabin

niigata

Alfrescian
Loyal

food is kept warmed using steam ovens found inside aircraft galleys. Each single oven can take approx. 20-30 AL boxes of food. In some aft galleys, there are up to five such ovens.

There are microwave ovens onboard as well. These are mainly found at the business class areas, where food is not served on aluminium trays but on plates..
or to cook instant noodles, etc.

You may buy those ovens, but you will need to have power supply at 115V and the oven price is super high as compared to normal ovens that we use at home.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there are electrical oven and microwave. if there are main meal to be serve, the food will be pre pack in a porcelain rectangular bowl. it will heat up the food and put it on top of those plastic trays and serve it to the EY or economic class. for BC or Raffle class for SQ and first class, usually they serve almost the same food. but the utensils all porcelain. some countries airlines will pack those main course in aluminium containers. if u r taking business class or first class, they will set the tray nicely for you with sauce container. some airlines business and first class even use silverware.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does steam oven work in the manner as the rectangular container used to store char siew bao in coffeeshop ?

You need water to generate steam. So is there a water container below the galley oven ?