• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MAN SAID 80s TO 90s ARE THE BEST, LOWER SALARIES BUT AFFORDABLE HAPPIER LIFE

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
MAN SAID 80s TO 90s ARE THE BEST, LOWER SALARIES BUT AFFORDABLE HAPPIER LIFE
singaporeuncensored.com

Is life really better in the 80s/ early 90s in sg?

I saw many old pics of sg during that period but couldn’t tell how life was life was back then as an average singaporean. Most of what I heard were from my parents and older relatives.

Cost of living was lower but so were salaries. Many in the workforce did not even have a diploma. Stuff like vacations and domestic helpers were luxuries. Mcdonalds and KFC meals were special treats.

Most flats were smaller and some families had 6-7 ppl cramping in a 2/3 room flat.

Taking photos were a big thing and videos were almost non-existent. Even so, most families dont own a camera. Unlike now where you can take hundreds of photos and videos on a single outing.

No netflix and youtube so you had to accept wtv was fed to you on tv.

No internet and mobile phones.

School projects meant days and weeks of digging books in the library.

No google and online reviews so finding a product or service was based on hearsay and referrals. No whatsapp and video calls so if you had someone who lived overseas, that once a week phone call was the only way of connecting with him. Buying stuff overseas was next to impossible unless you or someone flies there.

But they did say life was simpler, less stressful and everyone was much friendlier despite not having much.
  • I grew up in the 80s and left in the late 80s/early 90s. It might be true that Life was simpler. But it’s like comparing apples and oranges especially with the advent of technology and the internet.
  • Property has made many Singaporeans ‘rich’ – it has the best public housing system by far in the world. The desire to climb the economic ladder has always been there but in my humble opinion, social media has made it worse.
  • Life was so much better in the 80/90s. families all hung out together on weekends, the living room TV was the only “screen” in the house, we all decided which show to watch as a family, there was only one landline phone per household, everyone used that. Outside, you had payphones. Being late to appointments was not the norm, you honoured the time chosen as u couldn’t just send a sneaky text as you are leaving the house abt being late. We knew which restaurants to go to, it was called “word of mouth”. Back then, society was more cohesive and a lot less individualistic in my opinion.
  • I was happy with my meagre salary back in 90s. Everywhere wasn’t crowded. All of us can even afford to party every night. Everything is affordable.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lots of nice places were not yet demolished too. Here are some of them:

1) Pre-RWS Sentosa and its ferry terminal.
2) Van Kleef Aquarium.
3) Lavender Food Square.
4) Longhouse food court (Upper Thomson).
5) Nice park at Orchard Road (where Ion Orchard sits on now).

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Saw the thread title and thought that ages 80s to 90s are the best. Was wondering why would anyone still earning a salary in theirs 80s and 90s would still be happy!
:o-o:

daryl76

Alfrescian
Loyal
back then its not so nice on thr facade but life was happier

now outside look so nice but inside is all rotten

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
90s My uncle cheong disco with cover charge and taxi fare Total cost less than 50 bucks
Take mrt and walk $1
Pay cover charge $16
Taxi home $20
Total $37

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the 80's and 90's, a bowl of noodles or chicken rice is $1.50 and the serving of meat is twice/thrice more than what they serve today. In Jalan Besar, you can find 50 cents laksa. I earn less than $2600 in the 90's but I never felt poor. Life was simple, people are nice, foreigner are still arrogant but less of them then.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the 90s when you earn 30k pa ie about 2200 to 2500 per mth inclusive aws bonus you can apply credit card and felt proud of it.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just move across the causeway u also have affordable and happy life. Why still stay here, pls do some self reflection.
Mudland mala see lung kee aa sor zai.
My uncle had a iPhone pointed at his abdomen and custom purposelee don't chop his passport and fake the stamping sound.
It is a lawless cuntry.

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the 80's and 90's, a bowl of noodles or chicken rice is $1.50 and the serving of meat is twice/thrice more than what they serve today. In Jalan Besar, you can find 50 cents laksa. I earn less than $2600 in the 90's but I never felt poor. Life was simple, people are nice, foreigner are still arrogant but less of them then.
One Desker Rd fuck $5.60

Leckmichamarsch

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mudland mala see lung kee aa sor zai.
My uncle had a iPhone pointed at his abdomen and custom purposelee don't chop his passport and fake the stamping sound.
It is a lawless cuntry.
Yes n they hv the cheek yo post sign saying you are responsible to check!
Bloody mudslimes