• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Man gets 3 years' jail, 12 strokes of the cane for robbing 7-Eleven of cigarettes at night

covertbriar

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE - For robbing a 7-Eleven store of eight packets of cigarettes, a first-time offender was sentenced to three years' jail and 12 strokes of the cane on Thursday (Sept 30).

Muhamad Ismail Zainudin, 40, who was working as a security officer, was convicted on one charge of robbery at night.

On Thursday, he begged for leniency and promised never to repeat the offence after pleading guilty to the charge.

But District Judge Luke Tan said the mandatory minimum required by law for the charge was three years' jail and 12 strokes, which he then handed to Muhamad Ismail.

At about 4.10am on April 19, Muhamad Ismail went to the 7-Eleven in Bukit Batok Street 52 wearing a dark-coloured long sleeved top with a hoodie over his head.

He bought and paid for a bottle of coffee before asking if he could buy alcohol. The cashier refused and said she would call the police if he refused to leave.

Muhamad Ismail then showed her part of a plastic dummy nunchaku in his pocket, and told her to sit down or he would cut her.

The cashier complied and pleaded with him not to hurt her.

He then took eight packets of cigarettes from the store and fled home.

More at https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...2-strokes-of-the-cane-for-robbing-7-eleven-of

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe that the mandatory minimum sentence of 3 years jail and caning, is very harsh, and do not leave the judicial officer with any discretion to consider the circumstances and the accused.
With respect, in this situation, may be 7 days jail or a fine of $1,000, or both is sufficient.

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe that the mandatory minimum sentence of 3 years jail and caning, is very harsh, and do not leave the judicial officer with any discretion to consider the circumstances and the accused.
With respect, in this situation, may be 7 days jail or a fine of $1,000, or both is sufficient.
If light sentence, offender will likely re-offend again..

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

I agree it is harsh. But I like that IT IS HARSH!

WTF we make the charge lenient for? Encourage people to commit crimes because they just get a slap on the wrist?

In contrast in Canada the laws are so fucking lenient for everything. So many people try their luck to commit crimes.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Minorities get the harshest sentence.
Meanwhile the corporate swindlers who conned banks of hundreds of millions will probably get 2 years max. And no flogging. In fact, PAP has shown mercy by not even charging until it was found out by other countries. 1mdb a very good example.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Minorities get the harshest sentence.
Meanwhile the corporate swindlers who conned banks of hundreds of millions will probably get 2 years max. And no flogging. In fact, PAP has shown mercy by not even charging until it was found out by other countries. 1mdb a very good example.

Man made law. Full of flaws. Should follow Sharia Law. Strong deterrent. Victims have the right to forgive. But how many handless man can one find in Saud? :biggrin:

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
Harsh sentence. Indeed there are severe discrimination.
AMDK, PRC and CECA will not be so severely punished for eight packets of cigarettes.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Auxiliary police officer jailed nine months for stealing $23,000 meant for ATMs​

1633051174577.png

SINGAPORE - Instead of safeguarding the monies meant for automated teller machines (ATMs), an auxiliary police officer stole $23,000, hiding most of the stash under his bed.

Former Aetos Security Management employee Chai Chong Sien pilfered the monies on multiple occasions between March and June this year, while his colleagues were busy replenishing the cash in the ATMs.

On Tuesday (Nov 12), the 34-year-old was sentenced to nine months' jail after he pleaded guilty to one count of criminal breach of trust.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
These are the Malay bottom feeders I was talking about. I have zero pity or empathy for these cretins. In fact 80% of them are the bottom feeders.

Where will Sg be without them... :laugh: