• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mahah Raj say SG is ready for big change

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Meanwhile, with elections due by 2025, Prime Minister Lee—who remains trusted—has reaffirmed his intention to step down, with his successor to be current Finance Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Lawrence Wong.

But Lee has been unclear on the exact timing of his resignation.

One might have thought that Lee would step down well before elections to give Wong time to build up his reputation before heading to the polls.

But Lee remains prime minister, and he has suggested he might even lead the PAP in the next election campaign. This is despite the fact that he originally announced in 2017 he would name a successor and step down within a few years.

Lee’s hesitations are not exactly a vote of confidence in Wong, whom Singapore expert Michael Barr suggests got the job in part because of his intense loyalty to the prime minister.

Barr further suggests that Wong, a highly capable administrator, has not yet demonstrated skill as a political leader.

Moreover, he was only selected as Lee’s successor after Lee’s initial pick, Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat, withdrew himself from consideration two years ago.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Twenty years ago, Singaporeans unhappy with the PAP could not do much about it, as there was no viable opposition to the ruling party. But now the country has a real political opposition in the Workers Party and several other opposition parties, and voters have moved in their direction. The PAP won about 60 percent of the popular vote in the most recent election in 2020, which, though high, was much lower than in prior elections, and the opposition has become more organized and energized since then.

Singapore uses an electoral system that experts, including Freedom House, have said makes it easier for the PAP to translate popular votes into parliamentary seats compared to the opposition. But even Wong has admitted that the ruling party cannot take elections for granted anymore. Before this rash of scandals, there had been speculation that the PAP would call an early election before 2025. Now, it may try to run out the clock to the last minute, hoping that its plans to boost growth this year and next year pan out—and that voters are motivated more by their wallets than by their memories of scandals or a sense of societal fragmentation.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Singapore is ready for a non-Chinese prime minister at any time, presidential candidate Tharman Shanmugaratnam has said ahead of the September 1 election, calling it a marker of the society's progress in the country dominated by Chinese-origin population.

Race is a factor in politics everywhere, he said on Friday, citing former US president Barack Obama, who has spoken and written about it.

However, Singaporeans today, unlike 40 or 50 years ago, look at all factors and not just race, said 66-year-old Tharman, a Singaporean of Indian origin.

"They look at people in totality... Singapore is ready at any time. If someone comes up who is a superior candidate for prime minister, the person can be made the prime minister. I believe they can," he said during an election meeting to share his vision for the presidency.

It is a marker of Singapore's progress as a society, added the former senior minister, who resigned from the ruling People's Action Party in July to contest for the presidency.

he said laidis means wat? ... he gonna pig a non chinese as pee am wen he prez n wan sinkies ready 4 it? ...

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
From my understanding of my data collected, the minority in sg has never been able to accept the majority colour ( i.e chinese) to be anything be it ceo of a company or pm or president of sg.
They will vote any colour except yellow colour during a pe.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
From my understanding of my data collected, the minority in sg has never been able to accept the majority colour ( i.e chinese) to be anything be it ceo of a company or pm or president of sg.
Malays want their island back.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malays want their island back.
Actually what they want is simple - the real racial harmony.
Pap has to do away with a few things in order to achieve real racial harmony.
1. Not to discriminate and allow them to serve mindef
2. Do away with the stupid race quota during flat application and unit assignment.
3. Deploy the equal numbers of ns enlistment for Chinese to scdf and spf.

Chocolate

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think Singaporeans of any race can look beyond that and vote for the best person for the job. This has been clear in past elections.

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
He talk cock.
Why did he not dare pose challenge in his tenure ?
Now only; becoz Lee is OUTGOING, by whatever reasons.