• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

luckily town council still pay old cleaners $2.5 an hour for 4 hours daily

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://forum.channelnewsasia.com/viewtopic.php?t=390254

I asked the old cleaner in my block how much she gets
and she reply $2.5 an hour for 4 hours in the morning daily.
~~.... not easy u now, she has to sweep the whole HDB block

Model local cleaners get cash rewards
Pasir Ris-Punggol scheme to help keep their services
By Andrea Ong

FIVE days a week, Madam Ong Ah Moi, 78, is up at the crack of dawn to report for work by 5.30am.

She is a part-time cleaner in Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC, where she also resides in an HDB home in Hougang Avenue 9.

But sometimes, her patience is worn thin by inconsiderate residents.

'Some residents like to leave their trash along the common corridor. It's challenging for me when I have to climb the stairs to remove it,' said the grandma who intends to work well into her 80s.

Yesterday, she was among 32 local cleaners whose exemplary attitude and work were recognised with cash awards from the Pasir Ris-Punggol Town Council at its GRC Town Day get-together.

Full-time cleaners received $200, while part-timers like Madam Ong got $100.

The cash, given out twice a year since 2008, has proven 'quite successful' in retaining the local cleaners in the GRC, said town council chairman Ahmad Magad. These 450 workers make up 70 per cent of its army of cleaners. Other ways it has used to coax them to stay include letting them work flexible hours.

But residents can be a big help too in this effort if they change their ways, suggested Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean and Dr Magad, both MPs for the GRC.

Citing acts like parking bicycles along a narrow corridor or letting wet laundry drip on neighbours' clothes, Mr Teo said: 'We don't want it to happen to us, so we shouldn't do it to our neighbours.

'All we need is a little care and consideration, just as we do within our own home. Then we would have a better living environment for all to enjoy.'

Residents like Madam Yam Kiah Pang, 46, a purchasing executive, agreed.

Dr Magad also expressed the hope that the Gracious Living theme of events, like yesterday's, will heighten residents' awareness of their role and lead to his town council getting better scores in the half-yearly government report card on town councils' performance in managing HDB estates.

The results released last week showed that Pasir Ris-Punggol Town Council did not improve on its June scores: Band 2 for cleanliness and Band 3 for maintenance. The top score is Band 1 and the worst, Band 5.

Commenting on the results, Dr Magad said the town is large, with a mix of old and new estates. 'There are certain habits, like putting things along the common corridor, which will take a bit of time to change,' he said.

Meanwhile, 25 blocks in Dr Magad's Pasir Ris East ward will be upgraded under the Neighbourhood Renewal Programme but he did not give details.

The programme usually provides for, among other things, covered linkways and playgrounds.

More than 30 blocks in his ward and Mr Teo's Pasir Ris West ward will also get lift upgrading.

Next year, two projects in the GRC will be completed - the Pasir Ris Sports Complex, with swimming pools and dance studios, and a park connecting Sungei Serangoon to Punggol.

[email protected]

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unlikely they are covered by insurance. Occupational hazard - falls, sprained backs etc. If this is not exploitation, I wonder what is.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
CCB....HDB pay cleaners so little. I heard the cleaning auntie at my office building earn $3k per month just by going to different offices at different levels of a building. Earn more than what some tie-wearing execs or salespeople earn wor!

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
there is no min wage.
Open tenders..lowest bids get the contracts.
understand the TCs going to wayang a bit and consider other factors; one of them is training/upgrading but let us be realistic when u are talkng about 78yo aunties, what training/upgrading can u talk about.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there is no min wage.
Open tenders..lowest bids get the contracts.
understand the TCs going to wayang a bit and consider other factors; one of them is training/upgrading but let us be realistic when u are talkng about 78yo aunties, what training/upgrading can u talk about.

Training and upgrading to prepare her for her next life - knna, also cleaner !!! It is a vicious cycle alright.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Training and upgrading to prepare her for her next life - knna, also cleaner !!! It is a vicious cycle alright.

I think this upgrading mantra is nothing but propaganda.

Have colleagues who upgraded, got their MBAs through company sponsored programs. When they left, their new employers was more interested in their experience rather than their MBAs.

Just look at the old man, never heard of him upgrading anything but his own pay. :rolleyes:

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
HDB still paying 1980 salary to cleaners while they collect from dwellers current prices??? wtf?

hi there

1. bro, bingo!
2. it will be interesting to know what's the content of this ah ma's working contract?
3. what does it cover or not cover?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After 4 hours you get $10 .

You end up eating more than $10 .

That is why we need a minimum wage, even the MIW's the encouraging exploitation through their own TC's & the sub contractors they engaged.

To pull wool over people's eyes they just get a 78 year old faker, who will work till 80 or more ( just like their master), to accept an award paid in pittance.

What we will say, what the 78 year old get is insufficient for 'coffin cost'...

$10.00 for 4 hours work...morning economic bee hoon $2.50, kopi 90cts, Lunch another $2.80 for economic 'chai png' , thrifty order a glass of ice water 30cts ( some place 40c).

$10.00 - $2.50-0.90-$2.80-0.30= $3.50 left for dinner....1st world standard worse than 3rd world minimum wages...:rolleyes:

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
$10.00 for 4 hours work...morning economic bee hoon $2.50, kopi 90cts, Lunch another $2.80 for economic 'chai png' , thrifty order a glass of ice water 30cts ( some place 40c).

$10.00 - $2.50-0.90-$2.80-0.30= $3.50 left for dinner....1st world standard worse than 3rd world minimum wages...:rolleyes:

You forgot the cost slaughtered by SMRT/SBS. if she uses one..

Maggot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maggot thinks minimum wage works just fine. Those who are concern about their maids wages are missing the details.

Example S$ 2.5 an hour for maids.

26 x 10 hours x S$ 2.5 = $650 per month.

However, you can argue that there are no free accommodation, food, utilities and supplies.

So, you could deduct $300 ~ 400 from the maids pay and it should still remains at today's rate.

At least there is a bottom line to prevent Employers from exploiting their workers.

That is why we need a minimum wage, even the MIW's the encouraging exploitation through their own TC's & the sub contractors they engaged.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You forgot the cost slaughtered by SMRT/SBS. if she uses one..

I didn't forget, I purposely left that out, assuming that she live around the area she works in. if not, you factor in the cost of SMRT/SBS Transit , she in fact, is working for 'charity'...

The argument will be, at 78, why should she want more than $2.50 per hr 7 for 4 hrs??...the answer would be, we should be paid honestly & with dignity...but then again...these people who employ her..HONEST?:p

knightriderz

Alfrescian
Loyal
You moronic dumbass:oIo:

It depends on whether the old lady wants to eat at instant noodles,a hawker centre or a restaurant.
$10 is already a lot for these old peasants:mad:

May u b cursed going out and cursed coming in.
May e fruits of ur labor b cursed and e wombs of ur family be cursed!
May e Lord thy God have mercy on u hypocrite viper who claims to be a Christian and behave worse than pagans!

clinton666

Alfrescian
Loyal
May I b cursed going out and cursed coming in.
May e fruits of my labor b cursed and e wombs of my family be cursed!
May e Lord thy God have mercy on me the hypocrite viper who claims to be a Christian and behave worse than pagans!

You retarded gay dog:oIo:

You mama's $10/per day pay would have sufficed if you stop demanding your $5 daily pocket money from her:oIo::oIo:

knightriderz

Alfrescian
Loyal
You retarded gay dog:oIo:

You mama's $10/per day pay would have sufficed if you stop demanding your $5 daily pocket money from her:oIo::oIo:

Think of more creative insults please... Yeah n u Noe wad? U r just a disgrace to mankind! Bet ur parents died of shame aeons ago lol n go let ur dog fuk u brainless slutty boy