• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

LRT train hit Technician carrying out maintenance works

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
as i say, SMRT staff slacking may have caused this accident. Imagine the guy who lost his limb after the accident. How SMRT going to compensate him?how much pain he is going thru?

I used to work on NEL and i am sure that no personnel is allowed on rail track during operation hours. this is really screwed up big time!

Check up for you. Yes 100% a full born sinkie that even wasted part of his youth serving NS.

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
How can this happen. The management should not ask anyone to do maintenance when the train still in operation.
THe maintenance only should carry out after all stop operation. Must have at least 4 person. One act ask a look out man.
If they follow SOP the accident will not happen. Sue the LRT for lifetime support.pay for life. Sack the management involve manager/supervisor.
If all follow SOP then sack and sue the SOP writer/management becase never protect the worker.

Yes, I see you are quite well verse with your safety guidelines in train ops during traffic hours. I was thinking in the same line too.
1. Why was he alone during operating hours down at the running tracks?
2. Was there the 2 hand signal men and the look out man present whenever staff have to access onto the running track during operating hours?
3. Why was the power still up when there are personel working on the track? whick lead me to the final question.
4. All the time when they had to detrain the passengers when the train had a technical fault was the power still up and trains running on the other bound? If its yes are those detrained passengers at the same risk as this ill fated engineer?

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
as i say, SMRT staff slacking may have caused this accident. Imagine the guy who lost his limb after the accident. How SMRT going to compensate him?how much pain he is going thru?

I used to work on NEL and i am sure that no personnel is allowed on rail track during operation hours. this is really screwed up big time!

U sure? I too have friends in the NEL and they told me a different story. During the starting stage sometimes there were power trips and train stalls they have to access onto track to reach the affected train or area to check up the problem.

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal
you mentioned starting stage, it's very unlikely that you find passengers on board the train and personnel working on the rail track at the same time. LTA won't allow it!:rolleyes:

BTW, I used to be doing signalling, so you can't doubt me on this. Unless in emergency, you can find pple getting off the train and walking to the nearest exit in the tunnel.

U sure? I too have friends in the NEL and they told me a different story. During the starting stage sometimes there were power trips and train stalls they have to access onto track to reach the affected train or area to check up the problem.

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Man lose leg after LRT hit him

20101028.172722_20101028-lrt.jpg

HE had gone onto the Light Rail Transit (LRT) tracks to carry out maintenance works when a train pulled in.

Mr Chia Teck Heng, in his late 40s, had no time to get out of harm's way and was hit by the oncoming train.

He suffered injuries to his head and legs, and is now warded at the National University Hospital's (NUH) intensive care unit (ICU).

Click here to find out more!
One of his legs was so seriously injured that it had to be amputated.

The New Paper understands that Mr Chia, an SMRT technician, was doing some maintenance works at the Ten Mile Junction LRT station on Oct 17 (a Sunday), at about 8am, when he was hit.

The first train leaves the Ten Mile Junction LRT station at 9am daily.

First trains for the flanking stations - Bukit Panjang and Phoenix - leave between 5.18am and 5.37am on Sundays and public holidays.

He was believed to be alone on the tracks at that time.

SLRT, which operates the line, is owned by SMRT.

An SMRT spokesman confirmed the incident and said that the company is investigating.

She added: "Our thoughts go out to him and his family, and the company is providing all necessary support for his quick recovery."

Strict regulations

When asked what are the standard operating procedures for staff who need to enter the tracks, the spokesman declined to comment, stating that investigations are being carried out.

SMRT would only say that they have very strict regulations for granting access to staff when they go onto the tracks to do any kind of works.

Mr Chia's family and friends were gathered outside the ICU when The New Paper visited last evening.

They declined to be interviewed.

Mr Chia's wife is a housewife, and he is the family's sole breadwinner, reported Lianhe Wanbao.

They have three schooling daughters aged between four and 16.

The eldest daughter said that her father has been working for SMRT for nine years.

The teen added that she is in the midst of preparing for her O-level examinations and her family does not want her to be distracted by what had happened.

She said that her father has regained consciousness.

Mr Chia's wife has been keeping her vigil by her husband's hospital bed for the past week.

The driverless LRT system in Bukit Panjang cost $285 million to build and has 14 stations.

There are emergency stop buttons on both the platforms and inside the train carriages.

It is not known if the buttons were activated at the time of the incident.

The Bukit Panjang LRT line has been plagued by hiccups since its opening in November 1999, despite maintenance being conducted on the tracks and trains every day.

A year after its opening, three people were injured after a train carrying 20 passengers crashed into a stationary one at Phoenix station, leading to a $10,000 fine from the Land Transport Authority.

In October 2002, a wheel fell off one of the trains, resulting in five days of disrupted service and another $10,000 fine for SLRT.

Then in May this year, a carriage door remained open for 30 seconds as the train left Bukit Panjang station for Keat Hong station.

This was described by a train operator as an isolated incident.

That same month, a 42-year-old man fell onto the tracks at the Keat Hong LRT station when he suddenly felt faint and lost his balance.

The quick-witted man then pressed his body against the wall underneath the platform, where there was a narrow gap of a few centimetres.

He suffered cuts on his nape and injuries to his right hand and leg.

About 860 passengers were affected by the disruption as the train services were disrupted for 28 minutes.

Two months ago, 10 commuters were trapped in a carriage for 35 minutes as heavy rain poured outside.

The train was on its way from Fajar to Bangkit station when it suddenly stopped.

SMRT said then that the disruption was due to a track fault and not related to the weather.

This article was first published in The New Paper.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Re: Man lose leg after LRT hit him

Our thoughts go out to him and his family, and the company is providing all necessary support for his quick recovery."

I've never come across anyone recovering from an amputated leg.:rolleyes:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

The New Paper understands that Mr Chia, an SMRT technician, was doing some maintenance works at the Ten Mile Junction LRT station on Oct 17 (a Sunday), at about 8am, when he was hit.

The first train leaves the Ten Mile Junction LRT station at 9am daily.

So...a 9am, first train of the day, leave station and hit the poor technician at 8am...which mean de train travel back 1 hr earth time...:confused::confused: Heck dis is getting bery bery confusing...:confused::confused:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

And here we have Raymond Lim and whoever incharge of the local transport networks claimed ours - to be world class. Indeed, accidents happened one after the other, threatening the life of ordinary passengers who used it. I wonder, does the operators have any heart or is cost still their bottom line.

If PAP is continue to be mandated, Singapore is a gone nation.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

So...a 9am, first train of the day, leave station and hit the poor technician at 8am...which mean de train travel back 1 hr earth time...:confused::confused: Heck dis is getting bery bery confusing...:confused::confused:

One possibility, the train operator just came back from Thailand and forgot to wind his watch one hour back to Singapore time.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I find it more eerie than confusing :eek:

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Piang eh... you read damn to the very detail ...
This is what we called.. Ghost Train in the wee hours..

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Guys...sticking to de Twilight Zone explanation will b easier for AssMRT 2 get out of dis 1...:wink::biggrin::p

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal

Heard he is an engineer not a tech and how come only 1 person? Thought during operation and track access is needed there should at least be 4 people in the sop? 1 look out man 2 hand signal man and follow by the maintainence staff?

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal

very sad, engineers always do the real work and get underacknowledged while management sit in their aircon rooms and approve stupid ideas like dim sum dollies

hotbot

Alfrescian
Loyal

you are so damn right! I also find this statement inappropriate. the corp comms is making a statement for the sake of doing. NO SINCERITY at all!
:mad:

I've never come across anyone recovering from an amputated leg.:rolleyes:

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Heard he is an engineer not a tech and how come only 1 person? Thought during operation and track access is needed there should at least be 4 people in the sop? 1 look out man 2 hand signal man and follow by the maintainence staff?

The Msian FTrash DFAss Saleswoman CEO is cutting cost aggressively to up her year end bonus?