• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ironically, I am praying they go ahead with their RM 50 VEP plan for spore cars but looks likely they will chicken out after the toll increase. Many of my long time investor friends who have shunned Iskandar finally drove in for themselves in the past few days and they were all so pleasantly surprised that finally, going to JB is like going for FRESH AIR. It wasn't this case for the past one year. Had a talk with Tuas senior officer which I known for 8 years and he said the cars at Tuas also went down by 30-50%.. True enough nowadays I check traffic cameras for Tuas and 6pm the jam haven't gone to AYE. Before this is all jam till AYE.

Cant wait for Singapore side to implement the RM 16.50 toll and the Malaysia side to throw out RM 50 VEP

Not sure if you will think the same when the RM 50 VEH is implemented for SG cars. Hehe.......

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem is they promised the locals that EDL will be free. They have been stressing that those who does not use the custom will not be charge for EDL usage. But they need some suckers to pay for the EDL construction and maintenance and they figure out conveniently that those suckers shall be the one who are related in some way with Singapore - be it they come from Singapore or work in Singapore or do biz with Singapore.

But if these people does not want to be made a sucker and refused to use the causeway as often; then the locals without any relation to Singapore becomes the real losers.

bingo. exactly. tha'ts why i'm not going jb so often anymore.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
bingo. exactly. tha'ts why i'm not going jb so often anymore.

They should have made the local pay for the EDL, instead of cars from Singapore. Why ? From what i see is that the votes cannot change the fate of the people in Johor anymore. The Sultan who is one of the richest man in possbily in Malaysia are in cahoots with the Federal government too.

Malaysia will always belong to the Malays and not chinese or other races.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
They should have made the local pay for the EDL, instead of cars from Singapore. Why ? From what i see is that the votes cannot change the fate of the people in Johor anymore. The Sultan who is one of the richest man in possbily in Malaysia are in cahoots with the Federal government too.

Malaysia will always belong to the Malays and not chinese or other races.

Motorists can boycott the EDL if the rate is too high, but they cant boycott the customs. V smart move by the cronies actually, but the backlash is huge.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually EDL is quite a complicated expressway with lots of entrances/exits so it's difficult to erect a toll gate without causing a jam. MY is not like SG/Aust, which uses ERP. As Bro Malpaso says, if ERP-like system is used in MY, many pple will just bochap & dash through without paying for the fines.....

Actually it is quite easy to catch these offenders. You either not renew the car's road tax and the insurance of these drivers. These will make them pay up without too much hussle. Erection of toll gates can be at the exit points of each exit.

Frankly speaking, i do see that social and economic integration between Singapore and Johor in time to come. So, it is better to be prepared.

Last edited:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ironically, I am praying they go ahead with their RM 50 VEP plan for spore cars but looks likely they will chicken out after the toll increase. Many of my long time investor friends who have shunned Iskandar finally drove in for themselves in the past few days and they were all so pleasantly surprised that finally, going to JB is like going for FRESH AIR. It wasn't this case for the past one year. Had a talk with Tuas senior officer which I known for 8 years and he said the cars at Tuas also went down by 30-50%.. True enough nowadays I check traffic cameras for Tuas and 6pm the jam haven't gone to AYE. Before this is all jam till AYE.

Cant wait for Singapore side to implement the RM 16.50 toll and the Malaysia side to throw out RM 50 VEP

It will be suicidal for JB to implement RM 50 VEP for foreign cars. It will not happen at all.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will be suicidal for JB to implement RM 50 VEP for foreign cars. It will not happen at all.

MY govt is somewhat caught in between, after raising expectations of its citizens who work locally in JB and those who drive MY cars to SG to work. The easiest way out is for them to implement a RM50 fee on weekdays, with a 50% discount on Fri, Sat & Sun ostensibly to help JB businesses.

Such a method will lead to huge unhappiness among PR who drive to work in SG, but will be popular with the locals and permit-holders who are paying S$35 now.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
MY govt is somewhat caught in between, after raising expectations of its citizens who work locally in JB and those who drive MY cars to SG to work. The easiest way out is for them to implement a RM50 fee on weekdays, with a 50% discount on Fri, Sat & Sun ostensibly to help JB businesses.

Such a method will lead to huge unhappiness among PR who drive to work in SG, but will be popular with the locals and permit-holders who are paying S$35 now.

This morning the motorbike jam at Singapore is very gou li leh! Was wondering if hordes of people decided to dump their cars for kupkias instead to save on tolls.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
This morning the motorbike jam at Singapore is very gou li leh! Was wondering if hordes of people decided to dump their cars for kupkias instead to save on tolls.

Four wheels pay full; two wheels at least should ki half. :p

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yup, our IT technician is one of them who had decided to give up driving and ride a motorbike to work.
I believe many are doing so hence the super duper jam at the motorbike lane.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup, our IT technician is one of them who had decided to give up driving and ride a motorbike to work.

Seeing a trend of more lorries starting to go 2nd link. If MY Cabinet decision is no change, expect SG toll raise in 2 weeks time. That said, heard that MY side is currently experimenting with a new system at motorcycles clearance lanes. Maybe a plan to lower the bus/lorry fees & imposing it on motor-cycles is in the works?

Newbie2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seeing a trend of more lorries starting to go 2nd link. If MY Cabinet decision is no change, expect SG toll raise in 2 weeks time. That said, heard that MY side is currently experimenting with a new system at motorcycles clearance lanes. Maybe a plan to lower the bus/lorry fees & imposing it on motor-cycles is in the works?

They might just lower the fees for buses and lorries but keep the fees for cars because car drivers never make any strong protest and there are also some in support of it. A disunited group never get what it wants to achieve and likely to be made suckers for it.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
just pulling hobbit's short leg..:p

Then must change to electric bicycle to beat jam and potential bike tolls, problem is that only got short travel distance and must peddle furiously 40km on hobbit legs. Die panting.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Looks to me like almost every MY car owner got at least one kupkia in storeroom.

Sagitarius

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee Yen Mun | The Star/Asia News Network | Thursday, Aug 7, 2014

PUTRAJAYA - The Works Ministry is expected to look into the concerns raised by those affected by the new toll rates. "They (the Works Ministry) are also gathering more information from other (Johor) wakil rakyat over the hue and cry of the local people. "It is up to the minister in charge to announce these," said Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Dr Wee Ka Siong.

MCA had also voiced concerns over the impact of the new toll on small and medium enterprises and Malaysians who commute daily to Singapore via the expressway. Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai has raised this matter in the Cabinet meeting yesterday alongside Dr Wee.

Dr Wee said the concerns were discussed at the meeting and that the Works Ministry was expected to conduct a study on the matter.

"The Works Minister (Datuk Fadillah Yusof) has explained that it is too costly to take over this highway without any charge......."

Now the cat is out of the bag. They discovered that "robbing Peter to pay Paul" is the easiest solution. But they forget they opened up the "Pandora's Box" which affects everyone, the businesses, the workers, the shoppers, Iskandar and ultimately KL. In trying to sound smart, they say they are studying the matter like what DPM said. Hopefully, we will know soon 'cos when Singapore matches the hikes, U-turn may be even more difficult.

Yesterday we entered JB to test the waters and found going into JB is a breeze. We like that.

On our return, it was again a few minutes clearing the JB Customs pretty fast too. But in Singapore, we were stuck for half an hour at the last stop! We were wondering why it took that long!

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee Yen Mun | The Star/Asia News Network | Thursday, Aug 7, 2014

PUTRAJAYA - The Works Ministry is expected to look into the concerns raised by those affected by the new toll rates. "They (the Works Ministry) are also gathering more information from other (Johor) wakil rakyat over the hue and cry of the local people. "It is up to the minister in charge to announce these," said Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Dr Wee Ka Siong.

MCA had also voiced concerns over the impact of the new toll on small and medium enterprises and Malaysians who commute daily to Singapore via the expressway. Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai has raised this matter in the Cabinet meeting yesterday alongside Dr Wee.

Dr Wee said the concerns were discussed at the meeting and that the Works Ministry was expected to conduct a study on the matter.

"The Works Minister (Datuk Fadillah Yusof) has explained that it is too costly to take over this highway without any charge......."

Now the cat is out of the bag. They discovered that "robbing Peter to pay Paul" is the easiest solution. But they forget they opened up the "Pandora's Box" which affects everyone, the businesses, the workers, the shoppers, Iskandar and ultimately KL. In trying to sound smart, they say they are studying the matter like what DPM said. Hopefully, we will know soon 'cos when Singapore matches the hikes, U-turn may be even more difficult.

Yesterday we entered JB to test the waters and found going into JB is a breeze. We like that.

On our return, it was again a few minutes clearing the JB Customs pretty fast too. But in Singapore, we were stuck for half an hour at the last stop! We were wondering why it took that long!

Reading between the lines, there's going to be no U-turn for now. Not sure if there's going to be another 'minor incident' as the 1 week deadline is up tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.