• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincentck

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does it mean all those analogue TVs without DVB and antenna system will no longer work in 2years time ?

In Singapore, I was able to watch HD5 on my analogue TV thru the Starhub cable. So as long as it comes thru the cable, it should be fine. Not too sure about MioTV

Stevewish

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can buy a set-top box to continue receiving the DVB signals, but that will mean a set-top box for each analog TV, unless you want to disconnect/connect each time you watch from a different analog TV.

In fact, due to my poor TV analogue reception, i bought a DVB tuner( not the new T2) online for $50 two years back. The digital reception is wonderful, colour looks nicer as well. The new DVB-T2 shall cost around the price.

The reason I just got a TV with DVB-T2 simply I don't need to swap RF input between analogue ( assuming watching malaysia channels) and digital through simply toggle the button digital or analogue using remote control.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Happy National Day to everyone. There may be some fireworks tonight.
:smile: Will do the same for Malaysia's National Day.

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal
I intend to buy a Malaysian car and get a driver to send the kids to Singapore for school daily. If the car is registered in my (Singaporean) name, will it be ok for the car to enter Singapore even though the driver is non SPR or non Singaporean?

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
I intend to buy a Malaysian car and get a driver to send the kids to Singapore for school daily. If the car is registered in my (Singaporean) name, will it be ok for the car to enter Singapore even though the driver is non SPR or non Singaporean?

WHO IS ALLOWED TO USE AND KEEP A FOREIGN-REGISTERED VEHICLE?
You are not allowed to use or keep any foreign-registered vehicles in Singapore if you are a:

Singapore Citizen
Singapore Permanent Resident (PR)
Resident of Singapore
Long Term Visit Pass Holder or Dependant Pass Holder
Work Pass Holder who is also a resident of Singapore
Student Pass Holder
Training Employment Pass or Work Holiday Pass
However, any work pass holder, who is not a resident of Singapore, may drive a foreign-registered vehicle in Singapore only if ALL these conditions are met:

He is the registered owner of the vehicle.
He resides outside Singapore.
He has a valid insurance certificate and road tax to use the vehicle on Singapore roads.
The vehicle is kept or used outside Singapore for a total period of 6 hours or more every day.
The vehicle has an Autopass Card to validate its entry/ exit at Woodlands and Tuas Checkpoints and to pay for VEP/ toll charges.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
technically not allowed based on LTA website above. be careful ah. btw how did u manage to buy a m'sia car? my friend is thinking of it. he's singaporean

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal

Salary of driver , plus toll charges , plus expenses of living in JB , still cost less than staying in a typical 4 room flat in Singapore ?

Last edited:

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing but will the driver be allowed to drive in? I wont be driving. What is the process like to drive a foreign registered car into singapore? Anyone can share?

WHO IS ALLOWED TO USE AND KEEP A FOREIGN-REGISTERED VEHICLE?
You are not allowed to use or keep any foreign-registered vehicles in Singapore if you are a:

Singapore Citizen
Singapore Permanent Resident (PR)
Resident of Singapore
Long Term Visit Pass Holder or Dependant Pass Holder
Work Pass Holder who is also a resident of Singapore
Student Pass Holder
Training Employment Pass or Work Holiday Pass
However, any work pass holder, who is not a resident of Singapore, may drive a foreign-registered vehicle in Singapore only if ALL these conditions are met:

He is the registered owner of the vehicle.
He resides outside Singapore.
He has a valid insurance certificate and road tax to use the vehicle on Singapore roads.
The vehicle is kept or used outside Singapore for a total period of 6 hours or more every day.
The vehicle has an Autopass Card to validate its entry/ exit at Woodlands and Tuas Checkpoints and to pay for VEP/ toll charges.

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no restriction to buy a Malaysian car but I have made appointment to go down to KL next week, shall get more details by next week.

technically not allowed based on LTA website above. be careful ah. btw how did u manage to buy a m'sia car? my friend is thinking of it. he's singaporean

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing but will the driver be allowed to drive in? I wont be driving. What is the process like to drive a foreign registered car into singapore? Anyone can share?

read carefully- you are not allowed to use or keep. not "you are not allowed to drive...". and also the second part : "driver must be owner of car". Soooo.. you know singapore gahmen ah. don pray pray. btw, i was fined once for driving in a my car. the thing is , when i drove in woodland, they didn't stop me. only when leaving, they caught me. which means, can drive in, doesn't mean it's ok.

to drive in a my car easy only. first time the car goes in, you just tell the custom officer first time foreign vehicle entry. they will then ask you to go to the office, prepare the documentation and you can buy the VEP / cashcard whatever. i think there is now an option to pay a flat fee per day, may not even need the IU for the MY car. very straightforward procedure.

Last edited:

Organic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just had a look at the LTA cams, Tuas is clear both ways, Causeway, going into Sg, there's a " moving" jam, but clear coming into JB.

By looking at LTA cams at Tuas is sometimes not enough, as after SIN customs, there is a more than 2 km road before reaching MYSIA customs. I was stuck there for 2 hours last Thursday as the cams are unable to show the whole scenario. Can't even make a U turn :(

Last edited:

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
By looking at LTA cams at Tuas is sometimes not enough, as after SIN customs, there is a more than 2 km road before reaching MYSIA customs. I was stuck there for 2 hours last Thursday as the cams are unable to show the whole scenario. Can't even make a U turn :(

There you go. all cams at one go.

http://iskandarmsia.blogspot.sg/2013/06/property-price-iskandar-malaysia-vs.html

the CAM Second link KM1.8 (msia custom) is the M'sia custom after tuas entering nusajaya. as of now, 2nd link is clear going into johor and coming in to tuas.

Last edited:

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try to use waze, it is more reflective than the LTA cams

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks malpaso for sharing. in other words, we are not allowed to buy a foreign car, be it in or out of singapore, am i right? Hmm, that tarnishes my option B. Can I register in another foreigner's name that is not the same as the driver?

How does the VEP works? Do we need to return when we leave or we can buy and keep in the car, just like the IU?

read carefully- you are not allowed to use or keep. not "you are not allowed to drive...". and also the second part : "driver must be owner of car". Soooo.. you know singapore gahmen ah. don pray pray. btw, i was fined once for driving in a my car. the thing is , when i drove in woodland, they didn't stop me. only when leaving, they caught me. which means, can drive in, doesn't mean it's ok.

to drive in a my car easy only. first time the car goes in, you just tell the custom officer first time foreign vehicle entry. they will then ask you to go to the office, prepare the documentation and you can buy the VEP / cashcard whatever. i think there is now an option to pay a flat fee per day, may not even need the IU for the MY car. very straightforward procedure.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks malpaso for sharing. in other words, we are not allowed to buy a foreign car, be it in or out of singapore, am i right? Hmm, that tarnishes my option B. Can I register in another foreigner's name that is not the same as the driver?

How does the VEP works? Do we need to return when we leave or we can buy and keep in the car, just like the IU?

at first i thought you cannot buy m'sia car, but this shouldn't be anythig to do with LTA.. after all, it's in malysia..however others like wuqi have already confirmed (in the 'all about car' thread) that singporean can buy msia car, something about reciprocity of m'sia/sgp driver license. the issue is using the MY car, owned by you, IN SINGAPORE. So I interpret the LTA wording as "you can't keep or bring the car into Singapore ". you had better email LTA if you want to be sure, get official confirmation.

The last time I tried, the VEP is just a flat fee per day charged, and is deducted from a pass card, called the "autopass" card. So when yuo enter singapore for the first time for each MY car, you need to get the autopass. basically it's a cashcard. You also get a certain no of free days a year (10 or something) that the car can come in. Beyond that , you have to pay the VEP using the autopass. Every time the car comes in, you slot in the autopass just like you use the cashcard to pay toll. this is done at the immigration counter. This is what I remember based almost 8 or 9 years ago. As mentioned, don't worry - the ICA officers will lead you through the procedure and payment, it's on the spot done the first time any MY car goes in. The autopass is tied to the MY car VRN. The autopass can also be used to pay for stuff (it's a cashcard) and you may top up at any ATM too.

http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltawe...le-entry-permit-vep-fees-and-toll-charge.html

As for sending kids to school, you may also consider options like private school bus ("bas sekolah"). i read singaporeans do use a company like this: http://centurybus.com.my/htm/aboutus.html

Last edited:

tansi

Alfrescian
Loyal
LTA gave me a firmed answer NO. No SG can drive any foreign registered car into SG, not even for a short visit of a few hours. No excuse allowed such as being a retiree and has to stretch my savings by moving to MY. LTA's advice is park my MY car beyond the border and take a bus/train to come to homeland/motherland/fatherland.

at first i thought you cannot buy m'sia car, but this shouldn't be anythig to do with LTA.. after all, it's in malysia..however others like wuqi have already confirmed (in the 'all about car' thread) that singporean can buy msia car, something about reciprocity of m'sia/sgp driver license. the issue is using the MY car, owned by you, IN SINGAPORE. So I interpret the LTA wording as "you can't keep or bring the car into Singapore ". you had better email LTA if you want to be sure, get official confirmation.

The last time I tried, the VEP is just a flat fee per day charged, and is deducted from a pass card, called the "autopass" card. So when yuo enter singapore for the first time for each MY car, you need to get the autopass. basically it's a cashcard. You also get a certain no of free days a year (10 or something) that the car can come in. Beyond that , you have to pay the VEP using the autopass. Every time the car comes in, you slot in the autopass just like you use the cashcard to pay toll. this is done at the immigration counter. This is what I remember based almost 8 or 9 years ago. As mentioned, don't worry - the ICA officers will lead you through the procedure and payment, it's on the spot done the first time any MY car goes in. The autopass is tied to the MY car VRN. The autopass can also be used to pay for stuff (it's a cashcard) and you may top up at any ATM too.

http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltawe...le-entry-permit-vep-fees-and-toll-charge.html

Status
Not open for further replies.