• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alnine

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is weird that middle class citizens feel detached from Singapore. I guess it is because we are the neglected group as we are not poor enough to get subsidies and grant and yet not rich enough to enjoy living the high life. We just feel squeezed and it seems there's no way we can start enjoying life.

I for one has never gotten much benefits from the country, I didn't make tons of money from buying and selling HDB (I was single and cannot buy new subsidized HDB) nor was I entitled to all the handouts. I only know that I have paid alot of taxes.

Heard of a story of a retired couple who were pissed by gov that during the last GE, they did not bother to open the door during the MP visit. The couple lives in a HDB 3 room flat, were angry that due to rising cost and medical expenses, their savings were reduced to nothing much. You will also hear of stories especially with our fellow Malay community moving to JB to manage the living cost.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
From e quotes, speeches n newspaper articles, the cost of living, taxes, medical insurance n cost will all go up.

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heard of too many stories that the medisave either runs dry when needed most or you have funds in medisave but government has a restriction on how much you can use each time. Just tired of the never ending rat race.

From e quotes, speeches n newspaper articles, the cost of living, taxes, medical insurance n cost will all go up.

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal
From the forum, it appears that they are many singaporeans living a good and comfortable life in JB with big landed house, are the FDW readily available through agencies? Anybody care to share the cost?

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
In 2016, we will Ubah! Ubah@

I am so touched by above quote by mr nottiboy! I also feel very sad we as a true blue Singaporean have such a country which doesn't belong to us anymore! It's only a place to earn money. We have a highly paid garment which made everything payable. Almost every damn thing they also want us to pay! From car parking, maids levy, this levy that levy!

I really hope 2016 we will turn the table around just like Malaysia now. People need changes.

Lets hope for the best and prepare for the worse!

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heard of too many stories that the medisave either runs dry when needed most or you have funds in medisave but government has a restriction on how much you can use each time. Just tired of the never ending rat race.

We r foreigners in Malaysia afterall. They may not welcome foreigners as much once e investments r locked in. U need a backup plan to come back to Singapore in case e pro-foreigners policies in JB r reversed. I still find it hard to accept tt Malaysia allows foreigners to own landed. If e Bumis r severely disadvantaged, there will b changes.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
We r foreigners in Malaysia afterall. They may not welcome foreigners as much once e investments r locked in. U need a backup plan to come back to Singapore in case e pro-foreigners policies in JB r reversed. I still find it hard to accept tt Malaysia allows foreigners to own landed. If e Bumis r severely disadvantaged, there will b changes.

If possible, I would like to consider Australia and New Zealand as alternative bases. They are the remaining bastions of a green environment. As China and India residents seek refuge from pollution, I can only see their stock rising going forward.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just heard 1 friend migrated to canada. He was out of job for many years at age 38, having 4 kids and was once very successful working in some big MNC. Luckily wife is working to support the family. After selling off his Singapore house, he is able to buy a nice lake facing ban-glow on a hill in Vancouver with lots of excess. Education and medical is free in Canada. There is also min wage system so even if he works as police officer or cashier in the supermarket there, they will be able to survive.

I ll find out how he can get a citizenship over there..

If possible, I would like to consider Australia and New Zealand as alternative bases. They are the remaining bastions of a green environment. As China and India residents seek refuge from pollution, I can only see their stock rising going forward.

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal
As a matter of fact, I am an Australian PR, studied there but I am not happy to retire there given a choice, and I chose to settle in Asia. May be age is a big factor.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just heard 1 friend migrated to canada. He was out of job for many years at age 38, having 4 kids and was once very successful working in some big MNC. Luckily wife is working to support the family. After selling off his Singapore house, he is able to buy a nice lake facing ban-glow on a hill in Vancouver with lots of excess. Education and medical is free in Canada. There is also min wage system so even if he works as police officer or cashier in the supermarket there, they will be able to survive.

Generally, we have not been opened to alternative mode of living due to the severe indoctrination from the state. Many will continue to be displaced as one progresses beyond the age of 40 and sometimes 35. This will be the case here in Singapore.

Your friend is very fortunate to be able to find another life in Canada. I have heard great things from residents there too.

Funds Transfer

Alfrescian
Loyal
As a matter of fact, I am an Australian PR, studied there but I am not happy to retire there given a choice, and I chose to settle in Asia. May be age is a big factor.

Well done! You have one foot in the door.

I am not considering to live in Australia or New Zealand as a long term resident but having one or two houses there as investment or as a getaway would be a nice thought.

We would still love our Char Kway Teow here but that chilling out Down Under during the hottest months in Singapore and Malaysia is a nice proposition.

geritan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Try for half a year first. Things may not b as rosy until u experience e full details.

Totally agree. Daily commute between My & Sg is not easy during the morning and evening peak at causeway. Also there is a slight different in food and people's mentality that we need to adjust.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
405829_10151570982249557_1339942251_n.jpg

Interesting couple of days. Was taking my family out today and got a last minute request to help out an Indonesian developer as well as an investor from East Malaysia. It seems that they are all keen and specially flown to have a look. Took a couple of hours and showed them around. Then after that, went to Mutiara Emas to watch folks fly kites, saw folks flying literally as they had powered parachutes there. Some enterprising DAP guys were also flying their party flags while flying high in the end.

Had a near miss and quickly cut a conversation short when one almost landed on the roof of my car. Son had a field day looking at the colourful chutes. My son got so inspired that he wanted me to take him flying. I decided to take him to para sailing as he was too young to fly on board the PPC. Called and told a close friend to come look and they were amazed by the spectacle.

Drove quickly from there to Desaru and went to the Lotus resort where they have some wild banana boat rides along with parasailing/jet skis and ATV rides (short one though)

Turned out that luck wasn't in my sons favour and though the instructor was there, the wind wasn't. In the end, got him on a twenty minute jetski ride instead. He was very happy as the instructor took him out on a fast jetski and even did a few close trips to the shore before heading out to sea. Had a pretty good dinner there and on the way back, saw a lot of Toyota Celicas there with gull wing door mods. On our way back, saw some very nicely done up land rovers in a convoy and suddenly one stopped and smoke came out. I asked if they needed help but was cheerfully waved away.

Also saw a large convoy of very nice hogs going out the other way, seems a lot of folks are on long weekend. Took the "scenic" route back and saw some folks fishing near the bridges. Then, when were were on the Pasir Gudang highway back, saw the Orient Express at a train station on the right. Also on the way back, saw BMS mall was shaping up quite nicely.

Thinking of doing the Orient Express with my mum and dad, really need more time to spend with the family and i think being in a train or a cruise may give us more time. Haven't taken leave for a while and have been working through holidays and sickness so i guess i need a break and soon. Always been a deep romantic at heart and did spend some time on board trains in other regions but never in Asia so pretty keen to give it a try.

http://www.orient-express.com/web/eoe/the_train.jsp

The Eastern & Oriental Express
'Trains are wonderful... to travel by train is to see nature and human beings, towns... and rivers, in fact, to see life' - Agatha Christie

The golden age of travel lives on aboard the Eastern & Oriental Express luxury train. Winding through some of the world's most beautiful and exotic landscapes, it voyages through Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand, and on into Laos. Mountains, forests, fascinating towns and golden temples create a rich tapestry of life along the way.

This sister train to Europe’s Venice Simplon-Orient-Express offers an equally exciting on-board experience. Enjoy gourmet dining, cocktails in the open-air observation car and special local entertainment as your adventure unfolds.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Agree, we need to have more than 1 base as right now, basically we are in the midst of "aybabtu" and the message is clear, the sooner we realise it, the better our chances:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_your_base_are_belong_to_us
CATS: You have no chance to survive make your time.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Lucky friend, it will be good to find out more.

One of my colleagues ran off to Canada with her bf. Even though she was ditched after a couple of years, she stayed with him hidden long enough to get paperwork done and in the end got naturalized. Her mother however was never told and kept calling the company and especially as she was my direct report and chewed us out for sending her daughter "so far away for official work". In the end, my management got upset enough to tell her the truth.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

Change what you can, adapt when you must. If both fails and you have given it more than a fair whack,
then it is time to go.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Totally agree. Daily commute between My & Sg is not easy during the morning and evening peak at causeway. Also there is a slight different in food and people's mentality that we need to adjust.

In MY, people park cars head in while in SG, people park car reverse in haha..

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia is nice and choose Nusajaya as it is physical near and culturally similar and I have not given up yet.

If Singapore is going for 10m populations as that is the only way the govt know how to increase their wealth..I.e finding more suckers to contribute to CPF... maybe I also want to find somewhere further..

Lucky friend, it will be good to find out more.

One of my colleagues ran off to Canada with her bf. Even though she was ditched after a couple of years, she stayed with him hidden long enough to get paperwork done and in the end got naturalized. Her mother however was never told and kept calling the company and especially as she was my direct report and chewed us out for sending her daughter "so far away for official work". In the end, my management got upset enough to tell her the truth.

nusaduta

Alfrescian
Loyal
Friends, I don't know much about Canada but I can share on what I know about Aussie PR. They now give a temporary visa for 2 years called provisional visa first then once u complete that, need to apply to change into permanent. I just proceeded with my husband's Aussie PR application last week and met the migration agent and that's what he told me. He regularly meets his clients flying in to sg fr Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia etc.

The golden rule of maintaining the PR is to stay 2 out of the 5 years to be renewed for another 5 years. Since I m here can cant meet this requirement, I engaged the migration agent to help with the renewal. Since 2012 they have changed the rules to make me renew every year. I am a bit exasperated with that to be honest.

Was thinking of giving up cos I know I won't live there where a plate of chicken rice cost me A$12. In the end just renewed another year till 2014 to see what's next for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.