• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 3 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
that is actually good news. it means capital is flowing in here. it means the population here is earning good money.

the bulk of the rating is for housing and cars.

if you've already bought your home years ago, and can give up the car, it's not expensive.

eating out here is sooo much cheaper than in NYC or London. I can still get 2.50SGD chicken rice.

Public transport here is close to fantastic, even if one factor in the occasional breakdown.

school fees are considered low. the education system is good. going to polyclinic is reasonable and the quality of health care is good.

the bulk of utilities is due to aircon. cut down on that and watch the PUB bill drop.

Quality of health care in Spore is good, the issue is the medical cost, which can bankrupt someone depending on the illness. The other day I read newspaper interviewing a few of the pioneer generation and remember one of the elderly pays $200 monthly just for medication. In Malaysia, medication and other medical costs would have been free for elderly, no need pioneer package.

Transport is no where near fantastic, it used to be but no more due to overcrowded and poor maintenance of trains after being headed by a non-qualfied FT who cut corners on maintenance.

Last edited:

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
I liked this one bro.

real good.

jb ppl send kids to sg n v do reverse.

actually international schools can't mk it either

JB'ians are sending their kids to singapore to study, you want to do the opposite?

unless international school, then you'd be blowing all your savings on school fees .

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Err I also heard about these " rumours" .. You know what? My father in law had to do a heart bypass very urgently in JB and the doctors told my wife that the operation cost RM 38000. The joke is here.. they want to see money in before they operate. ( huh? ). And no cheques are accepted. Only CREDIT CARD OR CASH. Hell I gota withdraw S$10000 from a few banks in Singapore and convert to RM and drive over to JB immediately to help out if not he sure habis. Khaw Boon Wan was talking about $7 heart bypass a few years ago for himself and I wonder if its true? Pardon me for my lack of knowledge about the medical cost in Singapore cos I am used to seeing my parents and myself staying in hospitals without paying cash.. at most claim insurance or pay by Medisave. Among my brothers and sisters and my parents, we have about S$800,000 medisave which cannot be touched and I remember my father paying every single cent of my grandma s regular admittance to the hospitals when she was aged 70-95 when she passed away. During that 25 years my father was the sole son ( out of 9 siblings ) who single-handedly paid the bills via his medisave while he himself is retired.

So is medisave good or not its up to individual to decided

Quality of health care in Spore is good, the issue is the medical cost, which can bankrupt someone depending on the illness. The other day I read newspaper interviewing a few of the pioneer generation and remember one of the elderly pays $200 monthly just for medication. In Malaysia, medication and other medical costs would have been free for elderly, no need pioneer package.

Transport is no where near fantastic, it used to be but no more due to overcrowded and poor maintenance of trains after being headed by a non-qualfied FT who cut corners on maintenance.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
I recently read about SEASON PASS for unlimited rides in MRT and Bus and its only S$120. I really want to say what the Hxxx. $120 unlimited rides? It does make sense to take public transport if you got no children. I am spending like S$400 on road tax and insurance per month, S$500 on petrol, $200 on maintainence and about S$1000 on instalment. That's more than S$2000 a month.. I always tell my wife if we got no kids and we both take trains and buses and squeeze abit, we can save $2000 a month and go holidays every month.

clean, air con bus - $1.43 from upper bukit timah to great world city is a lot of money?

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
agree with you.

to rich ppl quality of healthcare is good.

even for simple fever they go hospital.

for many ppl the A&E charges of $100 huge deterrent.

And ur absolutely right about the medical care in Malaysia cost.

Many of my neighbours say the costs are reasonable or hugely reasonable @ govt hospitals.

No need for v Pioneer package.

even current generation gets it.

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having been associated with ComCare n other charity services, I must say $1.43 is a huge amount.

only in world class singapore u find ppl working till they die.

I hv seen taxi driver kena heart attack while driving in spore, even blood come out from mouth.

most ppl work till mati in Spore coz they can't pay bills otherwise.

it's not like my Uncle in US who works at 80 only to keep himself bz.

Just ask those who clean toilets $2 big money or not.

My wife takes out $50 n directly put s into the hands of these PIONEERS. She believes in helping ppl directly instead of through charty associations or churches.

The joy in the eyes of these ppl is enough.

OOPS right hand must not know what left hand is doing.

Last edited:

Gardener

Alfrescian
Loyal
Education system here is just plain stressful n unhealthy!

My nephews neices in Houston/London/Toronto etc are having a healthier happier n saner life.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Err I also heard about these " rumours" .. You know what? My father in law had to do a heart bypass very urgently in JB and the doctors told my wife that the operation cost RM 38000. The joke is here.. they want to see money in before they operate. ( huh? ). And no cheques are accepted. Only CREDIT CARD OR CASH. Hell I gota withdraw S$10000 from a few banks in Singapore and convert to RM and drive over to JB immediately to help out if not he sure habis. Khaw Boon Wan was talking about $7 heart bypass a few..

Y Ah Cow needs to pay $8? Is shd be free. :rolleyes::p

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was wondering why malpaso quoted bukit timah.

or maybe he meant ppl staying there can pay.:p

i'm saying 1.43$ to take a comfortable bus ride for 14 km is not expensive. that's pretty much what all that i meant. no hidden meaning.

c'mon. don't tell me $1.43 to you is ex?

Last edited:

siacw

Alfrescian
Loyal
Err I also heard about these " rumours" .. You know what? My father in law had to do a heart bypass very urgently in JB and the doctors told my wife that the operation cost RM 38000. The joke is here.. they want to see money in before they operate. ( huh? ). And no cheques are accepted. Only CREDIT CARD OR CASH. Hell I gota withdraw S$10000 from a few banks in Singapore and convert to RM and drive over to JB immediately to help out if not he sure habis. Khaw Boon Wan was talking about $7 heart bypass a few years ago for himself and I wonder if its true? Pardon me for my lack of knowledge about the medical cost in Singapore cos I am used to seeing my parents and myself staying in hospitals without paying cash.. at most claim insurance or pay by Medisave. Among my brothers and sisters and my parents, we have about S$800,000 medisave which cannot be touched and I remember my father paying every single cent of my grandma s regular admittance to the hospitals when she was aged 70-95 when she passed away. During that 25 years my father was the sole son ( out of 9 siblings ) who single-handedly paid the bills via his medisave while he himself is retired.

sg has a solid system to cover the major operation cost. where not so lucky in msia.

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well you can say its plain stressful but I went to a good school thru sheer hardwork as my parents were hawkers earning S$1000 a month. Through hard work I became what I am today and I always remind and repeat to my children how pathetic their father life was as we don't even have money to go for kindergarden. That's why I don't even know how to sing ABC song properly now. If I were born in Malaysia, I probably would be an ah long or bookie runner anyway. My point is stress bring out the best of human beings. When I go JB for early breakfast at 4am, I always feel sad for the young people who thronged the mamak till wee hours of the morning. No stress so this is what happened. My peers ( senior or juniors ) went thru super high level of stress and I see that they are so happy with their lives. Recently the newly appointed Chief of Army is one of them. And a about 5-8 years down the road, you will see the likes of He Ruimin etc who finished MIT first degree PHD in 4 years instead of 8 years and set to become the Chief of Navy.

Their stress levels are so much higher than all of us but they seem to be enjoying their jobs. Education is paramount to every child.

One thing I observe during my decades of in-out JB is that the people who tried all means of ways to save on petrol and food etc by going to JB to do everything and I really mean EVERYTHING ( I was one of them ), never became rich. You see the bikers coming in for decades. You see Sporeans staying in JB and in-out daily. They were never very rich. The ones who really made it very rich really stay in Singapore and I don't know the rationale behind. Its true. I am not looking down on anyone. Just stating an observation.

Education system here is just plain stressful n unhealthy!

My nephews neices in Houston/London/Toronto etc are having a healthier happier n saner life.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well you can say its plain stressful but I went to a good school thru sheer hardwork as my parents were hawkers earning S$1000 a month. Through hard work I became what I am today and I always remind and repeat to my children how pathetic their father life was as we don't even have money to go for kindergarden. That's why I don't even know how to sing ABC song properly now. If I were born in Malaysia, I probably would be an ah long or bookie runner anyway. My point is stress bring out the best of human beings. When I go JB for early breakfast at 4am, I always feel sad for the young people who thronged the mamak till wee hours of the morning. No stress so this is what happened. My peers ( senior or juniors ) went thru super high level of stress and I see that they are so happy with their lives. Recently the newly appointed Chief of Army is one of them. And a about 5-8 years down the road, you will see the likes of He Ruimin etc who finished MIT first degree PHD in 4 years instead of 8 years and set to become the Chief of Navy.

Their stress levels are so much higher than all of us but they seem to be enjoying their jobs. Education is paramount to every child.

One thing I observe during my decades of in-out JB is that the people who tried all means of ways to save on petrol and food etc by going to JB to do everything and I really mean EVERYTHING ( I was one of them ), never became rich. You see the bikers coming in for decades. You see Sporeans staying in JB and in-out daily. They were never very rich. The ones who really made it very rich really stay in Singapore and I don't know the rationale behind. Its true. I am not looking down on anyone. Just stating an observation.

My philosophy: JB is for holiday or retirement. SG is for earning $ :biggrin:

Spending time to earn more $ is better than spending time crossing the 1st/2nd links to save some $.

Daydreamer

Alfrescian
Loyal

How many Chief of (something) places they can have in 1 organisation? I guess not many.

Sadly not every child learn the same way. Now here's the flaw of the education system. They will only know how to produce robots in Singapore. When they try to get in to creative field or any free thinking jobs they all screw up.

Sadly not everyone know how to run a business. We already been in Leisure Farm for 2 months. Our saving in Singapore bank account already up by 200% in appreciation. Thanks to the cost reduction of accommodation in Leisure Farm. You are right we wouldn't be rich in our lifetime but at least we can retire early with all this saving without seeing the coffin.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
I liked this one bro.

real good.

jb ppl send kids to sg n v do reverse.

actually international schools can't mk it either

Personally i think international schools with 35 students per class cannot make it too, the teacher student ratio is same as last time SG public schools..

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow you are such a good son in law to pay Rm38k for your JB father in law operation, no wonder Singaporean husbands are highly sought after...No lah, those are not rumours but the truth that medication is free for elderly in Malaysia, I have come across one retired Msian SPR who goes to JB to collect free medicine and he is not even poor, his last job was CEO with chauffeur! Also, I remember one Msian SPR forummer here who posted about his father's hospital stay in JB, the quality of care was good and only paid few dollars.

I have not been to a JB public hospital before and am not sure of the length of wait required for operation there, and whether they would be able to give immediate assistance when an urgent heart bypass operation is required. Perhaps they could and if so, you would not need to pay Rm38k for it. For private hospital, i think it is the norm to make sure you can pay first by showing an insurance company guarantee letter or pay cash/credit card for it before they give treatment.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
sg has a solid system to cover the major operation cost. where not so lucky in msia.

Yeah right, so solid system until can choose to die and the hospital also let you die for those kidney patients who cannot afford to pay for dialysis..

Status
Not open for further replies.