• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Live on $40 for a few days

bebo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Recently some sinkie say $20 a day not enough to live on, just take a look at Madam Jamaliah Jaafar and learn from her. She says she can earn, on average, $30 to $40 a day, enough to put food on the family's table for a few days.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_314322.html?vgnmr=1

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
sg-wares.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Madam Jamaliah (right) says she can earn, on average, $30 to $40 a day, enough to put food on the family's table for a few days. -- ST PHOTO: ASHLEIGH LIM
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course you can when your daily diet consisit of IKAN BILIS , Rice and Chilli and add some KUN LING to it !

bebo

Alfrescian
Loyal
I see, no money still want all the abalone stuff :p

Don't look down on the IKAN BILIS , Rice and Chilli diet. People like them are quite healthy without major health problems. Just go to SGH and see how many malays hospitalised there :biggrin:

What is kun ling anyway :confused:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya ..... right ! Try taking all these for 5 yrs down the road ! I can gurantee that you be in coffin real soon.

Alfrescian
Loyal
$40 spend on food for few days is more than enough if you cook at home for a family of four. Why not. Let alone $20 per day. You can have fish, meat, vegetable and soup. Kuning is a main fish on Nasi Lemak.

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's nothing wrong to eat cheap. In fact cheaper food are healthier than food richer in content. Nice food one tend to overeat and cause obesity.

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
S$30-40 to sustain a family for a few days? Simple!

Daily menu:
Plain Rice
Big pot of curry "lontong style" vege(can cook & reheat, add more vege each time they reheat)
Ikan bilis & kachang
Fried Egg
Plenty of chilli on the side

Cost for daily meal per pax averages: $0.80/ pax/ meal

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
$40 spend on food for few days is more than enough if you cook at home for a family of four. Why not. Let alone $20 per day. You can have fish, meat, vegetable and soup. Kuning is a main fish on Nasi Lemak.

Actually you are right. A lot of people here basically do not go to the wet market, dry market, or even supermarkets to compare the prices.

To buy fish at cheap prices compared to wet market, can go supermarket like NTUC or sheng siong, the sutchi fillets are not expensive and can cook for days. Pork can buy those frozen ones and cheaper than wet market.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your forefathers ate that or didn't even had these luxuries. Yet, they still managed to give birth to you. :rolleyes:
Yes , they give birth to me. But you must keep in mind here in Singapore. If you are to die prematurely , there is nothing to lose.

But , when you fall ill in Singpapore. You will lose all your hard earned savings to the
money sucking hospital in Singapore . That is worse then death in long run ! Who say life is cheap when you are poor in Singapore ?

IN fact our forefather has better quality of life , they might be cash poor and living in shanty huts or slum. We may be living in modern flats , but our quality of life has been going down the drain every day.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes , they give birth to me. But you must keep in mind here in Singapore. If you are to die prematurely , there is nothing to lose.

But , when you fall ill in Singpapore. You will lose all your hard earned savings to the
money sucking hospital in Singapore . That is worse then death in long run ! Who say life is cheap when you are poor in Singapore ?

IN fact our forefather has better quality of life , they might be cash poor and living in shanty huts or slum. We may be living in modern flats , but our quality of life has been going down the drain every day.

You are drifting bit way too far. We are talking about eating those stuff and you said after eating them, 5 years will die.

Now you are talking about how expensive hospital bills are, etc. It simply has no relation to what you are referring to :o

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best place to buy your grocery will be at Chinatown wet market. It will be good
only for those who drives unless you live nearby. This is the best place to buy your fish in large quantity. Not NTUC or Sheng Siong. Fresh and cheap, I can guarantee you can save
up to 30% elsewhere. The more you buy the more you save and off course the more
you spend. So is the vegetables. The best time to go will be after 11am.
For about $100 you spend, will last you one week of dinners at home.

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your forefathers ate that or didn't even had these luxuries. Yet, they still managed to give birth to you. :rolleyes:

............IN fact our forefather has better quality of life , they might be cash poor and living in shanty huts or slum. We may be living in modern flats , but our quality of life has been going down the drain every day.
Those days, forefathers could plant tapioca/ sweet potato/ yam in the ground, rear chicken/ duck, plant some vege, fruit trees in the yard. They produced their own complete meal in their own yard, or in the little remote kampong.

Today, best not to plant anything since NEA likes to check on mozzies.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best place to buy your grocery will be at Chinatown wet market. It will be good
only for those who drives unless you live nearby. This is the best place to buy your fish in large quantity. Not NTUC or Sheng Siong. Fresh and cheap, I can guarantee you can save
up to 30% elsewhere. The more you buy the more you save and off course the more
you spend. So is the vegetables. The best time to go will be after 11am.
For about $100 you spend, will last you one week of dinners at home.

If I stay near there, or else, the ERP and petrol go there also bo hwa. :p

Wet market fishes, Fresh but not cheap these days. I think must start learning how to fish:biggrin:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Can try neighbourhood RC garden plot to plant vege, no need to pay rental and can bring home different type of veges.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those days, forefathers could plant tapioca/ sweet potato/ yam in the ground, rear chicken/ duck, plant some vege, fruit trees in the yard. They produced their own complete meal in their own yard, or in the little remote kampong.

Today, best not to plant anything since NEA likes to check on mozzies.
Ya you are right, when you rear chickens and ducks , they produced eggs every day. In turn you can sell them for money Or you can eat them , or do barter trade with your neighbour.

So ...... is your quality of life going down the drain ?

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are drifting bit way too far. We are talking about eating those stuff and you said after eating them, 5 years will die.

Now you are talking about how expensive hospital bills are, etc. It simply has no relation to what you are referring to :o
I wont say you will die , but you are half way there already. By eating all these food for long run , i can gurantee that your health will suffer in long run and will incur more expenses !