• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Letter to PM Lee Hsien Loong from ex-Singaporean in NYC.

Windsor2012

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/mar...50758804963092

Letter to PM Lee Hsien Loong from ex-Singaporean in NYC.

by Martyn See Tong Ming on Thursday, 22 March 2012 at 22:26 ·

Letter is reproduced here with permission from author.
__________________________________________________ ___

Mr. Lee Hsien Loong.

My name is Dave D'aranjo. I have written before.

I am an ex-Singaporean. Your government threatened me with conscription, jail, and/or exile because I did not agree to so-called "universal" conscription. Your military determined that I must be mentally incompetent to hold these views. I renounced my citizenship and was compelled to move to the US, away from home, family, friends, etc. I was too naive to understand what was happening to me and my family at the time, but suffice to say it seemed earth-shattering. I will never forget your government's actions against me, and the damage your policies caused to my happiness and sense of home. I hold you and your father personally responsible - and I am not alone.

When Singapore rejected me, I came to New York City.

New York City offered me a home and acceptance for who I am and what I believe, as long as it meant peace. Thus I primarily consider myself a New Yorker - by choice and by circumstance.

As a New Yorker, I would like to tell you that you may pat Mayor Bloomberg on the back and think you both are friends, but the truth is that NYC needs an award from Singapore like a fish needs a bicycle.

Especially an award named after Lee Kuan Yew. You and your government have no concept of individual liberty, which is - if anything - what NYC represents. The very spirit the of the city is individualistic. Yet your government demands conformity, and the penalties are harsh indeed.

To quote Professor Kishore Mahbubani in the article "New York City gets Lee Kuan Yew prize": "So [for Singapore] to become the iconic city of the Asian century, we must learn to be more open, accept diversity and take full advantage of it - the way New York City did." - ( "Today, March 22, 2012" )

Why don't you take Professor Mahbubani's advice already? You are failing to perceive and act upon the progressively liberal opinions of Singapore's youth, who are increasingly exasperated and embarrassed about the PAP's authoritarian policies, reliance on "foreign talent", and international reputation. I once had a great love and hope for Singapore, which has (clearly) been decimated.

You may say, "David, that's your view, and you are entitled to it". As an American citizen, I am certainly entitled to a dissenting view. It is a Constitutional right, and there are plenty of advocacy groups that strive for the peaceful reform of government over here. The US is far from perfect, but I am not particularly afraid to speak out. In the news, I witness both great tragedy and great success every day - initiated and effected by the people.

Do Singaporeans really have the right to speak out if they so wish? If I remained a Singaporean, the public expression of these views would put me at risk of censure, detention without limit, jail, lawsuits for defamation that I couldn't hope to afford.... tactics you and your father have capitalized upon in the past with "great success".

It is dirty politics and very much against the grassroots activism that New York City allows for. It is not in the spirit of transformation and 'accepting diversity'. If any American official followed your example, impeachment might not be far behind.

For this reason, let me say that: as long as Singapore is a conservative, restrictive, uptight society that permits corporal punishment, capital punishment, conscription, censorship, and horrendous colonial laws under the false term "Asian Values" -- mark my words -- Singapore will never, ever, EVER in a million years reach the intellectual, historic, humanitarian, scientific and artistic depth that New York City has achieved. Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak somewhat agrees (linked article).

I am angered by your pompous gall at bestowing this made-up "Lee Kuan Yew World City" award to my adoptive home. By naming the award after Lee Kuan Yew, you have undermined the earnest intent of recognizing urban development. The award now reeks of nepotistic authoritarianism.

There's an old expression in New York City -- commonly said; it rhymes with "duck you, you ducking duck". Let me be the first New Yorker to convey this expression to all involved.

Dave D'aranjo