• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

La Liga Season 2011/2012

Llorente

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Falcao: It is impossible to compete against Barcelona and Real Madrid

The Colombian striker believes that it is impossible for other clubs to win the Primera Division title and revealed that he is not paying attention to reports about his future

Apr 2, 2012 6:35:00 PM

By Luis Mira

169986hp2.jpg

Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao believes that La Liga is a two-horse race betweenBarcelona and Real Madrid.

The Colombia international joined Atletico in the summer after helping Porto to win four titles in 2010-11, including the Europa League.

Falcao has scored 20 league goals so far this season but says it's not nearly enough to break Barca and Madrid's stranglehold on the Primera Division.

"Barcelona and Real Madrid have built teams that are much superior and against which it is not possible to compete," Falcao told Radio9.

"In terms of economic power, the difference is enormous and both clubs have great players.

"But there is more to the league than being champion. Some teams fight to play in Europe, some try not to be relegated.

"Each club plays their own league and this makes the competition very attractive."

Falcao has been strongly linked with a move to the Premier League in the summer, but the 26-year-old tried to distance himself from the speculation.

"The media have been reporting an interest from Manchester City and Chelsea in me, but I try not to listen to such stories," he noted.

"I know I am at a club with great visibility all over the world, and if I do things well I will get the attention of other sides.

"Coming to Atletico was a big step in my career. They trusted me and I wanted to prove to myself that I could play in a league as competitive as this one."

Llorente

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

173364_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: I’m concerned about all injuries
Los Blancos' coach has expressed his worries with the ongoing fitness problems at the Santiago Bernabeu side, but dismissed the notion that his players are tired

176241_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid invite fans at the centre of flag row to Santiago Bernabeu
In an incident captured on TV, two young supporters landed themselves in hot water at the Reyno de Navarra by proudly displaying their club's colours within the home section

163569_thumb.jpg

Pepe: I have never thought about leaving Real Madrid
The Portugal international is paying little attention to what his critics are saying and insists that he has what it takes to play for the Spanish and European giants

166260_thumb.jpg

Villarreal reportedly on verge of sealing Robles deal
The Chile youth international has become a key member of the Wanderers team at just 17, and is expected to complete a transfer that will bring him to Spain in 2013

51045_thumb.jpg

Butragueno: We want Higuain to stay at Real Madrid for many years
The 48-year-old has rejected claims that Los Blancos are interested in selling the striker and noted the Argentine is an indispensable member of the squad

101664_thumb.jpg

Eto'o gives up fight for Barcelona compensation
The Cameroonian forward has ended his long dispute with the Spanish champions for a commission following his move to the Nerazzurri

Llorente

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

30992_thumb.jpg

It is no one's fault that Alexis Sanchez got injured, says Chile's Borghi
La Roja's trainer has assured that the national team are not to blame for the attacker's injury, while admitting that he understands the concerns of club coaches

176588_thumb.jpg

Only Real Madrid can compete against Barcelona, says Ancelotti
The Italian trainer believes that Milan are not at the same level as the Catalan giants, but says that the Rossoneri are favourites ahead of Juventus to win the Scudetto

177395_thumb.jpg

Atletico Madrid's Diego: It's too early to say whether we will win Europa League
The midfielder, on loan from Wolfsburg, has downplayed his side's chances of winning the tournament, choosing instead to take a step-by-step approach with his team now in the semis

172162_thumb.jpg

Ronaldo: Champions League final will be between Real Madrid & Barcelona
The 35-year-old former Brazil forward is adamant that Spain's top two clubs will pit it out in the finale of European football's elite competition and also praised Jose Mourinho

160184_thumb.jpg

Bielsa: I am happy to face Sporting Lisbon in Europa League semi-finals
The former Chile trainer has stated he is more than content to face Ricardo Sa Pinto's side in the final four of the competition, and praised Portuguese football as a whole

170023_thumb.jpg

We feel good to be among the best in Europe, says Atletico coach Simeone
The former Catania trainer believes his side are one of Europe's finest after their 4-2 aggregate victory over Hannover, with Atleti now in the competition's final four

174679_thumb.jpg

Valencia's Rami: Atletico Madrid tie will be very difficult
The former Lille centre-half spoke of how the last-four encounter against Diego Simeone's men will be tough, especially as they possess the threat of Radamel Falcao

175535_thumb.jpg

Pique ruled out of Zaragoza trip - report
The Spanish defender picked up an injury in the Champions League game against AC Milan in midweek and may be left out of the squad for Saturday's contest as a precaution

157327_thumb.jpg

Malaga interested in signing Borja Valero & Cristian Tello - report
The ambitious Andalusian outfit are believed to be targeting the impressive duo if they are able to reach the 2012-13 edition of European football's elite competition

155118_thumb.jpg

Valencia remain interested in Van der Wiel - report
Los Che are still attempting to sign the Netherlands international but it is understood that they are not willing to meet the Eredivisie club's current valuation of the player

160396_thumb.jpg

It's normal that Messi corrects me, says Cuenca
The young attacker has stressed that he does not have any issues with his more experienced colleagues telling him off for his mistakes on the pitch as it helps him improve

175627_thumb.jpg

Granero hails Real Madrid's attacking strength
The midfielder has taken time to praise Los Blancos' lethal attacking unit, but he is expecting a tough Champions League semi-final tie against Bayern Munich

174461_thumb.jpg

Kaka: I have confidence in myself again
The 29-year-old playmaker is confident that he is returning to his best and insists that he still has much to give to the team

84467_thumb.jpg

Muniesa and Ilie Sanchez sign Barcelona contracts until 2013
The youth team duo have penned one-year extensions with the Blaugrana, who hope that they can become first-team members soon

145073_thumb.jpg

Gago: My future depends on Real Madrid as well as Roma
The Argentine's season-long stay in the Eternal City is set to come to an end but the midfielder is hoping to sign a permanent deal with the Giallorossi

162265_thumb.jpg

Muniain: Raul is a role model for all footballers
The teenage attacker believes that the 34-year-old former Real Madrid striker, who is now plying his trade in the Bundesliga, remains one of the best goalscorers in the game today

173845_thumb.jpg

Barcelona interested in Giovinco, claims agent
Speculation is rife that the Gialloblu attacker will return to Turin in the summer but, according to his representative, the Blaugrana are also keen on the Italy international

176446_thumb.jpg

Real Sociedad president: We rejected a bid from Real Madrid for Pardo last summer
The 19-year-old midfielder is considered one of Spain's most exciting young prospects and Los Blancos are apparently desperate to lure him to the Santiago Bernabeu

175207_thumb.jpg

Van Nistelrooy not thinking about future
The Dutch forward has assured that he is fully focussed on completing his season with the Andalusians and help the club secure as high a league position as possible

Llorente

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

173790_thumb.jpg

When Iniesta strikes, his teams never lose: The World Cup hero's amazing scoring record for Barcelona & Spain
The midfielder has scored key goals that have lifted a nation and broken opposition hearts, while his record when finding the net makes him a true talisman for club and country

152712_thumb.jpg

Tino Costa believes AZ win has given Valencia confidence ahead of Real Madrid test
The former Montpellier man has spoken about his side's recent victory over the Dutch outfit in Europe and is adamant it will help them when they face Los Blancos

177069_thumb.jpg

Argentina's Sabella: They should invent a new word to describe Messi
The national team trainer has declared that a new term should be invented for the Barcelona star as the world runs out of superlatives for the three-time Ballon d'Or winner

160888_thumb.jpg

Xavi doubtful for Zaragoza clash
The influential midfielder is not fully match fit and Pep Guardiola revealed he could rest the veteran for Saturday's Primera Division encounter at La Romareda

172906_thumb.jpg

Guardiola: I can only thank Mourinho for the confidence he has in Barcelona
The former Spain midfielder has responded to the Real Madrid boss' recent comments that the Catalans are a certainty to make the Champions League final

175539_thumb.jpg

Khedira resumes Real Madrid training ahead of Valencia clash
The Germany international missed his side's recent Champions League triumph over APOEL due to illness, but is raring to go again ahead of this weekend's Liga action

163579_thumb.jpg

Di Maria to be given the nod to start against Valencia - report
The Argentine winger put in an impressive display off the bench against APOEL on Wednesday and will now reportedly be given the green light to start against Los Che

166607_thumb.jpg

We didn't want Atletico Madrid and they didn't want us, admits Valencia's Emery
The trainer admitted he was hoping that Los Che would avoid their domestic rivals in the last four of the Europa League, but now wants them to focus on improving their Liga form

157518_thumb.jpg

Albiol: Real Madrid want to win La Liga and the Champions League
The Spanish defender is confident that his side can win the double this campaign but anticipates a tough match against Valencia in this weekend's Liga fixture

Llorente

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga preview: Emery´s Bernabeu test

6 April 2012

12427365520.jpg

Real Madrid host third-placed Valencia at the Bernabeu on Sunday in a match that could decide Unai Emery's future.The Valencia boss has been the subject of much debate following a run of only three wins in 14 league games and despite guiding his side to the Europa League semi-finals on Thursday, one of three Spanish sides to do so, Emery could well be on the way out with his contract set to expire.

"I am used to the speculation over my future. I continue with my work and take no notice of it, and I don't see the players affected by it either," Emery said.
And with the Real Madrid juggernaut showing no signs of abating, in La Liga or the Champions League, in which they advanced to the semi-finals with a 7-2 aggregate win over Cypriot minnows APOEL, Valencia may yet be looking even closer over their shoulders.

Jose Mourinho's Real remain six points clear of reigning champions Barcelona after they also booked their place in the corresponding Champions League semi-final.
Kaka, who scored a spectacular goal against APOEL admitted Real Madrid's focus was now firmly on La Liga, not their upcoming tie with Bayern Munich."We must only think about our game against Valencia, that's our most important match right now because we have a six-point lead over Barcelona in the league and we want to keep it that way," Kaka said.

Barcelona knows any slip-up will all but ensure Real Madrid claim their first title in four years with only eight matches to play.
Barcelona travel to relegation-threatened Zaragoza on Saturday after Lionel Messi's two penalties helped them knock AC Milan out of the Champions League on Tuesday. And though it might look an easy three points on paper, cashed-strapped Zaragoza have mounted a spirited surge of late, picking up 13 of a possible 18 points and claiming scalps Villarral, Valencia and Atletico Madrid along the way.

Rock-bottom Sporting Gijon are three points worse off after their 2-1 loss to Zaragoza last weekend and face an important trip to Getafe on Saturday.
Meanwhile, Racing Santander (19th) remain level on points with Sporting and could seal their fate with a loss at Malaga on Monday, with both still seven points from safety. Saturday's other action pits Villarreal away to Real Betis, Osasuna travel to Rayo Vallecano and Espanyol entertain Real Sociedad at home.

On Sunday, two other sides to earn a Europa League semi-final berth in the week - Atletico Madrid and Athletic Bilbao - are in action.
Marcelo Bielsa's Bilbao knocked out Schalke 6-4 after the German side had twice led in the second leg in Spain to set up a showdown with Sporting Lisbon, but will have to attend to Sevilla first, in La Liga.

Llorente

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga wrap: Messi scores 60th goal

8 April 2012

12427366210.jpg

Barcelona fought back from a goal down to defeat Real Zaragoza 4-1 in La Liga as Lionel Messi scored a brace to claim his 60th goal of the season. Zaragoza, who had their coach Manolo Jimenez sent to the stands and played the second half with 10 men after Abraham Fernandez was sent off, took an early lead through Carlos Aranda on 30 minutes after he had missed a penalty six minutes prior.

But Carles Puyol's crafty left-foot strike and Messi's first from inside the penalty area saw Barca wrestle back the lead within ten minutes.
Fernandez's dismissal made life difficult for the hosts but they did match Barcelona with 14 strikes on goal before Messi scored from the spot four minutes from time and Pedro added a fourth. Barcelona move to within three points of leaders Real Madrid ahead of their clash with Valencia on Sunday.

Rayo Vallecano smashed six past sixth-placed Osasuna to all but assure their survival with a stunning performance.
Michu scored a brace, including his 15th of the season, for Rayo in the 6-0 win.Goals from Diego Costa and Jose Maria Movilla in the first half saw the hosts to a 4-0 half-time lead, prompting Osasuna manager Jose Luis Mendilibar to make all three substitutions.

But the changes did little to stem the tide with Rayo adding another two in the second half through Emiliano Armenteros and Tito, who completed the rout with an easy finish 11 minutes from time.
Defeat for Sporting Gijon pushed them ever closer to the drop after a 2-0 loss at Getafe. Venezuelan forward Miku grabbed the first after 20 minutes and soon after half-time Diego Castro volleyed home from close range, leaving no way back for Sporting, who remain bottom of La Liga after failing to win in their past five matches.

Espanyol played out an entertaining 2-2 home draw with Real Sociedad, strikes from Vadim Demidov and on-loan Manchester City striker Vladimir Weiss cancelled out Carlos Vela's double for the hosts.
Real Betis compounded pressure on struggling Villarreal with a 3-1 win at home that keeps Miguel Angel Lotina's side four points clear of the drop zone. Roque Santa Cruz and Ruben Castro scored within three first-half minutes to put Betis 2-0 up before Benat made it three in the 59th minute.Marco Ruben converted from the penalty spot for Villarreal four minutes into the stoppage time.

Llorente

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

14302_thumb.jpg

Canizares: Real Madrid will beat Valencia
The retired goalkeeper played for both sides during his career, but feels that the current Primera Division leaders will get the three points at the Santiago Bernabeu

160404_thumb.jpg

Barcelona's Thiago: Real Madrid will have to slog to win La Liga
The Blaugrana beat Real Zaragoza 4-1 on Saturday, reducing the gap on the league leaders to three points; the talented midfielder has stated that pressure is now on Los Blancos

65122_thumb.jpg

Zaragoza coach Jimenez feels 4-1 scoreline in defeat to Barcelona was 'unfair and misleading'
The hosts went 1-0 up against the European champions but ended up well-beaten, however the 48-year-old trainer believes that the result flattered Pep Guardiola's men

175539_thumb.jpg

Khedira included in Real Madrid's squad to face Valencia
The Germany international missed the Champions League quarter-final second leg against APOEL due to illness, but returns to Jose Mourinho's team to play Los Che

174424_thumb.jpg

Puyol salutes Barcelona performance against Zaragoza: 'We have done our job'
The veteran centre-back was pleased with how his side dealt with an in-form home team, and was not concerned about being stapled back together on the field

177675_thumb.jpg

Ibrahimovic on Barcelona exit: I acted like a man, Guardiola did not
The former Juventus and Inter man claimed that he left Camp Nou out of frustration with the Champions League-winning trainer, whom he accuses of shirking confrontation

177775_thumb.jpg

Barcelona's Guardiola: At every ground the grass has been long, but we have beaten them all
The Cule coach believes his team win regardless of the state of away pitches and explained that the team needed to keep their focus for a crucial end to the 2011-12 campaign

176055_thumb.jpg

Messi reaches 60 goals for Barcelona in 2011-12 with Zaragoza double
Two goals against the Aragonese strugglers brings up yet another landmark for the irrepressible Rosario native, and puts him within touching distance of Muller's record

177657_thumb.jpg

Valencia's Emery: Stopping Cristiano Ronaldo is key to beating Real Madrid
Los Che are fighting desperately to hold on to automatic Champions League qualification, but their coach believes that if they can muzzle the striker victory is possible

175871_thumb.jpg

Ancelotti: I hope Kaka joins PSG this summer
The Italian trainer has admitted that he would love to work with the 29-year-old playmaker again, yet he does not seem too optimistic on a deal for the player this summer

170285_thumb.jpg

Iniesta called to give me encouragement, reveals Cassano
The AC Milan forward confessed he had no idea how much people cared about him prior to his health scare in October, but added he is now ready to make up for lost time

Llorente

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

175545_thumb.jpg

Dani Alves resumes Barcelona squad training
The Brazilian defender picked up a thigh injury in the Blaugrana's win against Zaragoza at the weekend, but resumed regular training with his team-mates on Monday

166604_thumb.jpg

Atletico's Diego: Real Madrid are the best in La Liga but 'not invincible'
The attacking midfielder sees no reason why the Rojiblancos should fear their city rivals, particularly in light of the fact that Diego Simeone's troops have home advantage

177401_thumb.jpg

Athletic Bilbao fan injured in clashes after Schalke game passes away
According to the deceased's family and friends, the 28-year-old was shot in the head with a rubber bullet by riot police who were trying to subdue fighting near San Mames

176296_thumb.jpg

Guardiola: Catching Real Madrid now even more difficult than when Barcelona were 10 points behind
The in-form Catalans have drawn to within four points of Los Blancos and can close to within a point should they defeat Getafe at Camp Nou on Tuesday night

159655_thumb.jpg

Mourinho is somewhat hateful, but Guardiola is a gentleman, says Jorge Solari
The 70-year-old says that both coaches are good at what they do, but admitted that he prefers the Barca trainer, while saying that Messi is the best footballer in history

177047_thumb.jpg

Barcelona will not win anything in five or six years, says CBF director
The outspoken Brazilian official claims the Blaugrana will not be on top for much longer and believes that the club's youth academy is poor

178086_thumb.jpg

Futre confident Atletico will beat Real Madrid
The retired Portuguese winger believes that Los Rojiblancos will come out on top in the derby, while Francisco Buyo stressed that Jose Mourinho's men will take the three points

167918_thumb.jpg

Wolfsburg coach Magath open to Diego return
The German coach has been impressed with the Brazilian's recent performances, and revealed that he will remain in charge of the Bundesliga club for the foreseeable future

177968_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid held to goalless draw at home for first time in 42 Primera Division matches
Los Blancos' disappointing stalemate on Sunday was also the club's first result of that kind in home games since the 2006-07 campaign

158205_thumb.jpg

Barcelona v Real Madrid moved to Saturday April 21
The Catalan giants will host the Primera Division leaders on a Saturday evening later this month as both sides continue to fight for the Spanish league title

177777_thumb.jpg

Messi moves ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo in European Golden Shoe race
The Argentine record-breaker struck twice at the weekend to take himself two points clear of his Portuguese rival in the race to become Europe's top scorer this campaign

173085_thumb.jpg

We have to bounce back against Atletico Madrid, says Arbeloa
The defender has expressed his disappointment with the draw against Valencia, but stressed that Los Blancos still remain first and have to get back on track as soon as possible

141653_thumb.jpg

Rossi hints at summer transfer from Villarreal
The Italy international has suggested that he could be on the move at the end of the season, and is slowly returning to full match fitness after a lengthy absence due to injury

175545_thumb.jpg

Dani Alves doubtful for Getafe clash
The Brazil international is being plagued by a thigh injury and looks set to miss Tuesday's Primera Division encounter due to the knock

163082_thumb.jpg

Figo: Barcelona are a joy to watch
The former Portugal star has revealed that he still has warm feelings for both the Catalans and Real Madrid, and added that it is impossible for him to choose between the two

177958_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid's Albiol: The referee did not have his best game
The centre-back was not impressed with the match official's display in the game against Valencia, and expects a difficult encounter versus Atletico Madrid on Wednesday

177981_thumb.jpg

The referee did not have any influence on the result, says Valencia's Emery after Real Madrid draw
The 40-year-old coach was happy that his side were able to take one point from such a difficult trip and stressed he had no reason to complain about the refereeing decisions

174455_thumb.jpg

Casillas: Real Madrid could lose La Liga
The experienced shot-stopper thinks that his side's success in the league is not guaranteed, while saying Mourinho's men deserved a better result against Valencia

160166_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid's Karanka unhappy with refereeing decisions in Valencia draw: 80,000 people saw what happened
The assistant to Jose Mourinho has no doubt that his side were held back by the referee, while stressing that the players remain keen to win the domestic league crown

174452_thumb.jpg

Xabi Alonso 'disappointed' with Real Madrid's draw against Valencia
The Spanish midfielder admitted that he expected his side to get a better result but stressed that he and his team-mates are still at the top of the league standings

176301_thumb.jpg

Adriano: I never stopped believing Barcelona would have a chance to win La Liga
The Brazilian utility man has intimated that the Catalan team will maintain that they can retain their domestic league crown until the very end of the 2011-12 campaign

177935_thumb.jpg

Barcelona squad spend afternoon with Abidal ahead of liver transplant
The Blaugrana players gathered with the veteran French defender to express their support ahead of his crucial operation

165563_thumb.jpg

Diego Simeone takes blame for Atletico Madrid's defeat to Levante
The Argentine admitted he made errors during the early stages of the match and stressed that the defeat was not caused by Falcao's omission from the starting team

128425_thumb.jpg

Filipe Luis dreaming of Atletico win over Real Madrid in derby
The Brazilian defender is eagerly anticipating Wednesday's Primera Division encounter, and is hoping Los Colchoneros will bag the full three points at the Vicente Calderon

162458_thumb.jpg

Pedro: I dedicate my goal to Abidal
The Spain international managed get on the scoresheet in the 4-1 win at the weekend, and was pleased to finally find the net again after a lengthy dry spell in the final third

168604_thumb.jpg

Fabregas: Real Madrid remain favourites to win La Liga
The former Arsenal star has stated that Los Blancos are still the team to beat, and admitted that the Blaugrana struggled to claim the three points against Zaragoza

Llorente

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga preview: High stakes in Madrid derby

9 April 2012

12427366870.jpg

Barcelona will be hoping Atletico Madrid will do them a favour in the Madrid derby as La Liga packs in a full round of games midweek.Atletico host Real Madrid on Wednesday but in bad news for Barcelona, Atletico have failed to defeat their local rivals in 20-straight clashes. A win for Atletico would be their first since the 1999/2000 season and would give Barcelona a chance to move within one point of Real Madrid at the top of the table.

Atletico sit seventh in the Spanish league on 42 points, trailing their bitter rivals by 37.
Diego Simeone's side qualified for the Europa League semi-finals last week with a 2-1 win over Hannover, but looked tired in their 2-0 loss to Levante on Sunday, while Real drew 0-0 with Valencia. That draw was the first time Real have been held scoreless in La Liga since September 21 when they drew 0-0 against Racing Santander.

Barcelona take on 10th-placed Getafe on Tuesday and know they cannot afford to drop any more points if they are to catch Real in the last seven rounds.
The Catalan club came from behind to beat Real Zaragoza 4-1 on Saturday.In the race for the two other Champions League spots, Valencia, Levante and Malaga are separated by just two points.

Levante travel to Sporting Gijon and Valencia host Rayo Vallecano on Wednesday, while Malaga will play Villarreal on Thursday.
Levante look to have the easiest match of the three Champions League hopefuls.The Valencia-based club, which is run on a minimal budget, will be one of the fairytale stories of the European season if they can qualify for the Champions League next season.

Levante are currently fourth, a point ahead of cashed-up Malaga, who are owned by a Qatari royal.
If Malaga miss out on a Champions League berth it will be a disappointing performance by manager Manuel Pellegrini, who has spent plenty of money on the likes of Ruud van Nistelrooy, Santi Cazorla and Julio Baptista.

In other matches, Espanyol travel to Osasuna and Sociedad take on Betis on Tuesday, while Granada face Athletic Bilbao on Wednesday.
The midweek games finish up on Thursday with Santander hosting Mallorca and Sevilla up against Zaragoza.

Llorente

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

175205_thumb.jpg

Thinking we should beat Real Madrid just to help Barcelona would be 'mediocre', says Atletico coach Simeone
The Argentine insists that his sole focus ahead of his side's clash with Los Blancos is picking up a victory in order to boost the Rojiblancos' hopes of qualifying for Europe

92080_thumb.jpg

Barcelona will knock Chelsea out of Champions League, says Okunowo
The Blaugrana scraped by the Blues in 2009 in controversial circumstances but the Nigerian believes that Pep Guardiola's men will have it a little easier this time around

159781_thumb.jpg

Kanoute to be denied Sevilla send-off by injury
The Malian, who joined the Andalusian outfit from Tottenham Hotspur in 2005, is unlikely to play again this season because of a hamstring tear

171205_thumb.jpg

Abidal undergoing liver transplant
It was announced in March that the 32-year-old France international needed to go under the knife just a year after having a tumour removed from the vital organ

174458_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid not suffering title jitters, says Karanka
After seeing their lead over Barcelona cut to four points, there is great pressure on Jose Mourinho's men to get back to winning ways against their city rivals

174455_thumb.jpg

Casillas: Real Madrid must only think about winning against Atletico
The Blancos captain has urged his team-mates to focus on Wednesday's derby encounter, and has warned that they must claim all three points or risk losing the Liga title

160400_thumb.jpg

Casillas was my idol but I want to beat him, admits Courtois
The 19-year-old Belgian has revealed that he has a great deal of respect for his goalkeeping counterpart, but will put it aside for this Wednesday's derby clash

156552_thumb.jpg

Barcelona will be trailing Real Madrid by one point after Clasico, says Cruyff
The Dutch legend believes that the Catalans will win the direct confrontation to further pile the pressure on the Blancos, and was full of praise for Spanish football in general

169986_thumb.jpg

It would be very special to score against Real Madrid, says Atletico's Falcao
The Colombia international has been in sublime form in the 2011-12 campaign, and is desperate to add to his tally in Wednesday's derby against Los Blancos

Llorente

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

162125_thumb.jpg

Maxwell sends best wishes to Abidal
The Brazilian vowed to visit his former team-mate in Barcelona following the Frenchman's operation, and said that the two players remain close

129603_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid look nervous, says Stoichkov
The former Barcelona star is confident that the Catalans will win the Primera Division, and feels that Los Blancos are under intense pressure

174675_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo: Losing is not in my vocabulary
The 27-year-old says that the team are one step closer to winning the competition, while crediting his team-mates for their role in his hat-trick

177400_thumb.jpg

Police negligence may have caused death of Athletic Bilbao fan, Basque chief confirms
Inigo Cabacas died after sustaining injuries caused by a rubber bullet after watching his side's last eight draw with the Gelsenkirchen outfit in Europe

176287_thumb.jpg

Xabi Alonso: Win over Atletico Madrid a real confidence boost
The holding midfielder has voiced his satisfaction with Wednesday's victory at the Vicente Calderon, but urged his team not to get carried away ahead of this weekend's fixture

178560_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo does things nobody else can, says Callejon
The Spanish attacker has taken the time to praise his team-mate in the wake of Wednesday's win over Atletico, and was very pleased with the derby victory

176286_thumb.jpg

'Cristiano Ronaldo's genius' helped Real Madrid beat Atletico, says Simeone
The Argentine coach feels that his side faded towards the end of Wednesday night's derby against Los Blancos, and fell victim to the Portuguese attacker's "genius"

159050_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo is the best player in the world, says Sergio Ramos
The Blancos defender has taken the time to praise the Portugal international, and hailed the team's ability to overcome the pressure of the Primera Division title race

160166_thumb.jpg

Karanka: We kept believing in ourselves when everyone was saying we had lost the title
Jose Mourinho's assistant noted that it was the team's never-say-die attitude that made the difference against Los Rojiblancos, and praise Cristiano Ronaldo

118277_thumb.jpg

I do not know why Barcelona did not sack Guardiola, says Bernd Schuster
The coach believes that the Blaugrana trainer should have been sacked for his negative comments regarding their title push, just as he was fired in 2008 for making similar remarks

175251_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo nets 50th goal of the season for Real Madrid in La Liga clash against Atletico
The Portuguese superstar reached a half-century of strikes this campaign as he netted a stunning free kick in the derby at the Vicente Calderon on Wednesday night

132671_thumb.jpg

Busquets plays down Guardiola remarks: Winning La Liga is not impossible
The Spanish midfielder is upbeat about his side's chances in the league but insists that the team remains focused on collecting three points every game

145848_thumb.jpg

Barcelona's Afellay available for selection again after nearly seven months out
The Dutchman suffered a serious knee injury in training last September but is fully fit once more and could be included in the squad for this weekend's clash with Levante

177072_thumb.jpg

Barcelona to remain in Europe for 2012-13 pre-season
The Catalans are wary of placing too heavy a burden on players who will be competing in Euro 2012 and the Olympics this summer after a draining 2011-12 season

166604_thumb.jpg

Diego desperate for another Brazil chance
Having been in the international wilderness for over three years, the midfielder trusts that his good form in Spain should lead to the opportunity to shine for the Selecao

176301_thumb.jpg

Barcelona's Adriano: We believe we can win La Liga
The Brazilian wing-back was pleased with his side's victory over Getafe, and is confident that the Blaurgana can successfully overcome Real Madrid and defend their Liga title

178319_thumb.jpg

Messi becomes first player in La Liga history to score 28 goals at home in one season
The Argentine forward has been in sublime form in the 2011-12 campaign, and broke yet another record after scoring in the Blaugrana's Primera Division win over Getafe

177235_thumb.jpg

Former referee Iturralde Gonzalez hits out at Mourinho
The former Primera Division referee has expressed his dismay with the Portuguese coach's behaviour, and added that the Madrid boss previously behaved similarly in England and Italy

148580_thumb.jpg

Roberto Carlos believes Real Madrid will win La Liga if they beat Atletico
The former Brazil defender feels that Los Blancos will go on to lift the league title if they defeat their city rivals, before lavishing praise on defender Pepe

178319_thumb.jpg

Victor Valdes: It was a fantastic match from Barcelona
The shot-stopper was pleased with the Catalans' performance in Tuesday's league encounter, and showed his pride when the team ended the game with 10 youth products

149864_thumb.jpg

Osasuna's Shojaei hoping to be available for Iran's opening fourth round 2014 World Cup qualifiers
The Osasuna midfielder returned to training this week after almost a year out with a foot injury which has required four surgeries

169327_thumb.jpg

Guardiola dedicates victory against Getafe to Abidal
The 41-year-old trainer sent a message of support to the Frenchman and insisted he is not worried that Madrid may slip up in Wednesday's derby against Atletico

174428_thumb.jpg

Eric Abidal receives standing ovation from Camp Nou crowd
The Blaugrana fans decided to express their support to the defender in Tuesday's Liga contest as the 32-year-old defender continues to undergo a liver transplant

Llorente

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Barcelona players show support with barbecue at Eric Abidal's house

The French full-back underwent surgery on Tuesday for a liver transplant and his team-mates joined him over the weekend to wish him luck

Apr 11, 2012 12:00:00 PM

178397hp2.jpg

There he is! Eric Abidal is acting the bouncer and removing the belligerent Gerard Pique from his pool-side BBQ on Sunday. Barcelona's French full-back underwent surgery on Tuesday but as the pictures show, he was in good spirits prior to the operation.

Abidal received the liver transplant from his cousin Gerard in what is hoped to be the end of his health issues. Pep Guardiola dedicated his side's 4-0 win over Getafe on Tuesday night to Abidal.

178398hp2.jpg

Cut above | Abidal serves up grub for his guests

The 32-year-old defender was diagnosed with liver cancer in March 2011 and had an operation to remove a tumour. By May, Abidal was back playing for Barcelona and completed the entire match against Manchester United in the Champions League final.

In a special moment, Abidal was handed the captain's armband and given the chance to lift the trophy at Wembley following a performance dedicated to him.

And on Sunday, Pique, a good friend of Abidal's, clearly enjoyed the occasion, hopping into the Frenchman's swimming pool after what looked a hearty meal.

178395hp2.jpg

Llorente

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

174428_thumb.jpg

Barcelona boss Guardiola visits Abidal in hospital
The former Olympique Lyonnais defender is recovering after the serious procedure he underwent, and the Blaugrana head coach became the first non-family member to see him

176290_thumb.jpg

Marcelo named in Real Madrid squad for Sporting Gijon clash
The Brazil international missed the Santiago Bernabeu club's last fixture against Atletico Madrid, but is fit to be included in Jose Mourinho's 20-man group

149713_thumb.jpg

Javi Martinez: If Athletic Bilbao win a trophy this season I will dye my hair pink
The San Mames outfit are in the final of the Copa del Rey, where they face Barcelona, and are preparing to take on Sporting Lisbon in the semi-finals of the Europa League

176572_thumb.jpg

The highest-ever scorers in Spain: Real Madrid set to smash their own Liga goals record & boost confidence for the Clasico
Jose Mourinho's men are closing in on another mark in their pursuit of the Primera Division crown - and could travel to Camp Nou next week as the all-time topscorers in La Liga

177781_thumb.jpg

Forget Chelsea & the Clasico: Barcelona must overcome Levante to keep pressure on Real Madrid
Two mammoth games that could define Barca's season lie ahead on the horizon, but first they must face a potential banana skin at the Ciutat de Valencia

146350_thumb.jpg

Giuseppe Rossi's injury blow leaves Italy short for Euro 2012 and spells disaster for Villarreal
The former Manchester United striker has suffered a significant setback in his rehabilitation from a serious knee problem, leaving club and country with issues to consider

152418_thumb.jpg

I never thought my side's 107 goals in a season record would be broken, says former Real Madrid coach Toshack
The Welshman led Los Blancos to the La Liga title and a club scoring landmark, but Jose Mourinho's current crop are well on course to surpass the tally this term

37099_thumb.jpg

Rossi is 'distraught' at missing Euro 2012, says Italy physio
The Villarreal forward was expected to be fit in time to compete in Ukraine and Poland, but tore his anterior cruciate ligament for a second time on Friday

172655_thumb.jpg

Racing Santander's Alvaro Cervera admitted to hospital with tachycardia
The Spanish coach felt unwell during Friday's practice session and will spend the night at the hospital despite medical tests producing no seriously negative results

160393_thumb.jpg

Barcelona's Keita ruled out of Levante trip with injury
The Malian midfielder is nursing a muscular problem and will not make the team's trip for the match in Valencia against the league's surprise package of the season

174540_thumb.jpg

Xavi: Messi will be the best player in the history of football
The World Cup winner believes that if the 24-year-old Argentine can maintain his current level of excellence, he will be remembered as the best of all time

177235_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: I consider myself to be a great coach
The Portuguese insists that he does not want to come across as conceited but believes that his achievements within the game command respect and admiration

174458_thumb.jpg

Karanka: Real Madrid deserve to be champions
Jose Mourinho's men led the league by 10 points at one stage but they are now just four points clear and coming under increasing pressure from a resurgent Barcelona

155653_thumb.jpg

Canales reveals desire to stay at Valencia
The Spain Under-21 international recently returned from a serious knee injury, but has still enjoyed his time with Los Che and would like to remain at the club permanently

170022_thumb.jpg

Guardiola: One mistake and we can say goodbye to La Liga and Champions League
The Blaugrana boss has acknowledged that the Catalans cannot afford to make a single slip-up between now and the end of the season, while also revealing Eric Abidal is on the mend

177089_thumb.jpg

Pique resumes Barcelona training
The centre-back has been out of action ever since his side's Champions League win over AC Milan, but should now be available for selection at the weekend

174459_thumb.jpg

Marcelo resumes Real Madrid training ahead of Sporting Gijon clash
The Brazil intenational missed the derby win over Atletico due to injury, but has returned to the training ground again and is ready to feature on Saturday

168467_thumb.jpg

Mourinho to maintain media silence until end of season - report
The Portuguese coach has reportedly decided not to speak to the press until the end of the season, with the exception of games in Europe's premier competition

172809_thumb.jpg

Iniesta set to make 400th Barcelona appearance
The attacking midfielder has so far featured in 399 official appearances for the Catalan giants, and is already among in the club's top ten for games played

111906_thumb.jpg

Barcelona are not unbeatable away from home, says Farinos
The former Spain international has remarked that the Catalans have already lost away games before this season, and feels another upset is not impossible

174675_thumb.jpg

'Ronaldo is the best in the world, my favourite player': How a teenage Cristiano idolised his Brazilian namesake
Goal.com is publishing exclusive extracts from Luca Caioli's new book, Ronaldo: The Obsession for Perfection. This fourth excerpt looks at his dream league debut and an early hero

170118_thumb.jpg

Barcelona keen to open contract talks with Puyol - report
The experienced defender's current contract is due to expire in the summer of 2013, but the Catalans are eager to hold on to their skipper for several more years

130171_thumb.jpg

Maradona: Pele was 'stupid' to say that Neymar is better than Messi
The Argentina legend says that his compatriot tops the Santos star and labelled suggestions saying otherwise as 'stupid'

147947_thumb.jpg

Palmeiras poised to sign Barcelona's Henrique, says agent
The Sao Paulo-based club are closing in on the defender, who has spent the last four years on loan after failing to get a place at the Camp Nou outfit

175682_thumb.jpg

Barcelona will never have another player like Messi, says Rosell
The Blaugrana supremo says that the Argentine's talent is unmatchable and that the player's quality is seen not only on the field of play, but also away from it too

22723_thumb.jpg

Messi better than Maradona, admits Ardiles
The Machida Zelvia coach has confessed that he never thought he would come across a player as good as the man who lit up the 1986 World Cup in Mexico

177064_thumb.jpg

CBF director hits out at Barcelona: They won nothing before Messi, Xavi & Iniesta
The Brazilian official believes that not all teams should follow the Catalan outfit's footballing model and urged Santos to remain true to their values

163554_thumb.jpg

Villa remains on course to return for Barcelona before season's end
The 30-year-old fractured his left tibia in December and though he is refusing to name a date for his comeback, he is buoyed by how well his rehabilitation is going

Llorente

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

160942_thumb.jpg

Mascherano: We should focus on Chelsea, not Real Madrid
The former Liverpool midfielder has insisted that the Catalans should not look too far ahead, and focus on their upcoming Champions League encounter

176290_thumb.jpg

Marcelo: Real Madrid are favourites in every championship and in every game
The Brazil international feels that Los Blancos are the team to beat in every competition they play in, and is full of praise for his side's attacking potency

179277_thumb.jpg

Messi: Chelsea match will be more difficult than Levante
The Argentine attacker has stressed that the upcoming Champions League match will be even more difficult than Saturday's game, and added that it's all about the team's success

157517_thumb.jpg

Paris Saint-Germain target Valencia's Soldado - report
The French capital club are keen to add to their attacking options and have apparently set their sights on the Spaniard, who has been in great form this term

173830_thumb.jpg

Wigan boss Martinez: Premier League is better than La Liga
The Latics' manager believes the top flight in England betters its Spanish counterpart but admitted that Barcelona and Real Madrid are the two best teams in the world

158119_thumb.jpg

Valdes: Clasico against Real Madrid will not be decisive
The Spanish glovesman tried to take some of the pressure off his side and stressed that the club will not leapfrog Los Blancos in the table even if they win the match

177588_thumb.jpg

Manchester City prepare €20m bid for Athletic Bilbao star Ander Herrera
Brian Marwood and Spain scout Rob Newman watched the 22-year-old in action against Granada on Wednesday as they look for a central midfielder to bolster Roberto Mancini's squad

172830_thumb.jpg

Guardiola spent the match putting pressure on the referee, says Levante's Valdo
The 30-year-old has launched a scathing attack on the Blaugrana coach and has stated that the big clubs in Spain get preferential treatment from officials

175547_thumb.jpg

Higuain: The league title is at stake and we must remain calm to win every game
The Argentine attacker has expressed his satisfaction with Saturday's win over Sporting, and urged his team-mates to remain calm in order to win all remaining games

179293_thumb.jpg

Penalty decision was debatable, admits Guardiola after Barcelona's win over Levante
The Blaugrana coach hinted that the decision to award Isaac Cuenca a spot kick was contentious, but spoke of his happiness at seeing his team finally brush aside the hosts

130555_thumb.jpg

Those who say Mourinho is defensive were proved wrong, claims Karanka after Real Madrid's win over Sporting Gijon
The Basque assistant has hailed the Blancos for equalling scoring records against Javier Clemente's men on Saturday, but reserved words for those who have criticised the coach

170686_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo & Lionel Messi break Liga record with 41st goals of the season
The Portuguese scored for Madrid against Sporting to surpass his own mark from last term, but his total was later levelled by the Argentine, who hit two for Barcelona at Levante

179252_thumb.jpg

Butragueno relieved after Real Madrid's win over Sporting Gijon: 'The game took a turn we did not expect'
The vice-president praised the Blancos' opponents for their resilient display on the night but was delighted to eventually take all three points, before looking to the future

168926_thumb.jpg

Messi could equal Ronaldo record for consecutive Liga games scored in
The Argentine attacker is on the verge of equalling the former Blaugrana striker's feat of scoring in 10 games in a row which was achieved during the 1996-97 campaign

Llorente

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cristiano Ronaldo & Lionel Messi break Liga record with 41st goals of the season

The Portuguese scored for Madrid against Sporting to surpass his own mark from last term, but his total was later levelled by the Argentine, who hit two for Barcelona at Levante

Apr 14, 2012 10:45:00 PM

By Ben Hayward

170686hp2.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi have both broken the record for league goals scored in a Primera Division season on the very same night.

Ronaldo headed a crucial second for Real Madrid as Jose Mourinho's men came from behind to beat Sporting Gijon 3-1 at the Santiago Bernabeu, while Messi hit a double in Barcelona's 2-1 victory at Levante later on Saturday.

Ronaldo had equalled last season's total of 40 with a hat-trick in the 4-1 derby win at Atletico Madrid on Wednesday, but surpassed the mark on Saturday after scoring with a 73rd-minute header at the Bernabeu.

The Portuguese won the Pichichi prize last season, although Marca, who award the trophy, claimed the Madrid forward had scored 41 times, attributing a deflected free kick against Real Sociedad to Ronaldo - even though the referee had given the goal to Pepe.

Messi, meanwhile, began the day on 39 league goals but his two second-half strikes saw Barca come from behind to beat Levante 2-1 at the Ciutat de Valencia and he, too, now has 41 in the Primera Division this term.

The Argentine also equalled a Liga record by scoring for the 10th game in a row.

Messi now has 63 goals in all competitions, while Ronaldo has scored 53.

Madrid also levelled their all-time Liga goals record of 107 strikes on Saturday and will look to surpass that total, set by John Toshack's Real side in 1989-90, in next weekend's Clasico at Camp Nou.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

176983_thumb.jpg

Mourinho caught me in the face, claims Sporting's Nacho Cases
The 24-year-old midfielder has accused the Portuguese of striking him during a melee which had broken out over the Asturians' attempts to time-waste

163493_thumb.jpg

Primera Division Title Race: This weekend's Clasico will be the defining moment for Real Madrid and Barcelona
With just five games left including the final domestic meeting between the top two sides this season, Phil Kitromilides assesses the race to be crowned champions of Spain

117918_thumb.jpg

Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo tied in the race to win European Golden Shoe
The Barcelona and Madrid record-breakers went level on 41 goals for the season, ahead of this weekend's Clasico showdown in the Primera Division

159873_thumb.jpg

Xabi Alonso: Real Madrid want 10th Champions League title
The influential midfielder is dreaming of winning the competition for the first time since 2002, and wants to eliminate the Bavarians in their last four encounter

169986_thumb.jpg

Atletico Madrid have their own Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo in Falcao, says Diego Simeone
The Rojiblancos trainer feels that the Colombian attacker is equally important to Atleti as the Argentine and Portuguese to Barcelona and Real Madrid respectively

179504_thumb.jpg

Falcao insists the sky is the limit for Atletico Madrid after win over Rayo Vallecano
The Colombian striker fired the winner at the Vallecas on Sunday and says Atleti must try to string together a strong run of results and see where it takes them

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

176200_thumb.jpg

Sa Pinto: Athletic may play like Barca, but we are Sporting and we fear nobody
The former Portugal international is refusing to be intimidated by all of the hype surrounding Marcelo Bielsa's side, who have already eliminated Manchester United and Schalke

137747_thumb.jpg

'Sporting Lisbon will not give Athletic free rein to attack,' insists Bielsa
The Argentine is not buying into the view that the Portuguese outfit will invite the Basques onto them and look to hit the Liga side on the counterattack

177981_thumb.jpg

Emery: Valencia must surpress the spirit of Simeone to overcome Atletico Madrid
Los Che boss has been very impressed by the way in which the Argentine has breathed new life into the Rojiblancos since taking charge in December

159655_thumb.jpg

Barcelona chose Pep Guardiola over Jose Mourinho, says Txiki Begiristain
The Portuguese coach was a strong possibility to take charge of the Blaugrana, but the club picked their former B team trainer instead

178356_thumb.jpg

Atletico Madrid boss Simeone wary of clinical Soldado ahead of Valencia Europa League showdown
The Spain international has been in fine goalscoring form so far this season and the Rojiblancos boss knows that it will be difficult to keep him quiet for 90 minutes

169934_thumb.jpg

Scolari: The only bad thing in Cristiano Ronaldo's life is Messi
The 63-year-old believes that the Argentine is the only player who is better than the Portuguese and says that the Madrid man is right to think that fans are jealous of him

177235_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: Guardiola knows how he has won so many matches
The Blancos coach has taken another swipe at his counterpart in Camp Nou, insisting that the Barca trainer is fully aware of how he attained his successes in the last few years

176296_thumb.jpg

Barcelona's Guardiola dismisses Chelsea link as pure 'fantasy'
The 41-year-old coach, who has led the Catalans to 13 titles since taking charge at Camp Nou in 2008, is out of contract in the summer and has been linked with the Blues

159022_thumb.jpg

This will be a decisive week for Barcelona, says Zubizarreta
The Blaugrana official believes that it is impossible to predict the outcome of their European tie and says the players are prepared to handle the pressure of the next seven days

151769_thumb.jpg

Bale wants Barcelona move, says Sandro
The Brazilian midfielder revealed that the Wales international is eager to move to Camp Nou and admitted that he also wants to try his luck at the Catalan club

162884_thumb.jpg

Barcelona's Dani Alves reveals admiration for Tottenham 'full-back' Bale
The La Liga giants are thought to be interested in the Welshman and the former Sevilla defender admits he 'loves' watching a player who is from the Brazilian mould

172162_thumb.jpg

Ronaldo: It hurts as a Madridista but Barcelona are one of the best teams I've ever seen
The former Brazil international spent a season at Camp Nou but expressed his affection for Los Blancos following his five-year spell at the Santiago Bernabeu

175640_thumb.jpg

Juventus and Real Madrid both wanted to sign Cavani from Danubio, claims ex-Palermo director Foschi
The much-coveted forward arrived in Sicily five years ago but he could easily have ended up in Turin or the Spanish capital, according to the Padova official