• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

La Liga Season 2011/2012

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

122365_thumb.jpg

Muniain: If Athletic Bilbao win I will get a Europa League trophy tattoo
The young Spanish attacker has stated he will get the European trophy inked onto his body if his club emerge victorious in the finale of the competition on May 9

17210_thumb.jpg

Pep Guardiola will return to Barcelona, says Luis Fernandez
The ex-Paris Saint-Germain trainer believes the 41-year-old is likely to be coach of the Blaugrana again and also spoke about the ambitious Ligue 1 giants

173084_thumb.jpg

Barcelona's days of glory will soon end, says Arbeloa
The former Liverpool full-back has stated that the Catalan giants may be in decline after Los Blancos secured the Primera Division title with a win over Athletic Bilbao

157773_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: We have beaten one of the best teams in history in Barcelona
The Portuguese claims Los Blancos defeated one of the game's greatest teams en route to winning the Primera Division and also took a swipe at certain sections of the media

181365_thumb.jpg

Pedro thanks Guardiola for allowing him to 'live the dream'
The attacker freely admits that he found the news that his former B team coach would be departing Camp Nou in the summer 'painful' but he is already excited about the future

183546_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo scores more goals at Real Madrid but was a better player at Manchester United, claims Charlton
The World Cup winner believes that the attacker's achievements in England are worthy of more praise because he was not always at the centre of the Red Devils' forward line

183564_thumb.jpg

Callejon dedicates Liga triumph to Real Madrid supporters
Los Blancos looked in real danger of blowing a 10-point lead, but their win over Barcelona at Camp Nou all but clinched the title and allowed their fans to breathe easy again

181067_thumb.jpg

Atletico players devastated by draw against Real Sociedad but they will keep fighting, insists Simeone
The Rojiblancos missed the opportunity to draw to within three points of fourth-placed Malaga ahead of Saturday's meeting with Manuel Pellegrini's men at the Vicente Calderon

183514_thumb.jpg

Messi deserves to win every individual honour, claims Pellegrini
The Blaugrana star posted a treble against the Boquerones to take his tally for the season to 68, thus surpassing Gerd Muller's record for most goals in a single European campaign

183508_thumb.jpg

Barcelona beat club record of 105 goals in a Liga season
The Catalan outfit's 4-1 victory over Malaga meant that Pep Guardiola's side had found the net on 108 occasions, surpassing the previous standard from the 2008-09 campaign

182093_thumb.jpg

'You can't expect Mourinho teams to be aesthetically pleasing or to play well' - Vilanova
The soon-to-be Barca boss slammed his Blancos counterpart for his negative approach in an interview in November 2010, and claims the Portuguese is hungry for attention

168230_thumb.jpg

Xavi resumes Barcelona training
The influential midfielder has resumed pitch work with the rest of his team-mates after missing the Blaugrana's last two league games due to a calf injury

183534_thumb.jpg

Higuain: I have a contract at Real Madrid and I'm 'very happy here'
The Argentine forward revealed that he and his team-mates are thrilled to have captured La Liga and stressed that he is "very happy" with life at the Santiago Bernabeu

174429_thumb.jpg

Dani Alves: I want to stay at Barcelona until the end of my contract
The Brazilian defender was recently linked with a move to Russian big-spenders Anzhi Makhachkala, but the full-back has no intention to leave the Blaugrana any time soon

177071_thumb.jpg

Raul's 71 Champions League strikes, Villa's five-minute hat-trick, Pele's 1281 goals: The records Messi has yet to break
Another major goal-scoring record was obliterated by the Barcelona wizard this week, but there are still some benchmarks that he has yet to smash

183557_thumb.jpg

Karanka: We're living in the Real Madrid era
Jose Mourinho's assistant has hailed the Blancos' squad and added that whether Barcelona's cycle of success has come to an end is of no concern to the Spanish capital club

117381_thumb.jpg

Xabi Alonso: There’s a lot of merit in winning La Liga with Barcelona as our rivals
The holding midfielder acknowledged that Los Blancos' title triumph in the league has been made all the more special after they pipped "a great opponent" in the Blaugrana

183546_thumb.jpg

Cristiano Ronaldo: Real Madrid were better than Barcelona this season
The Portugal international was overjoyed to win the Spanish league title for the first time in his career, and feels Los Blancos deserved it as they proved to be better than Barca

177235_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: Winning La Liga harder than any other league
The successful coach has stated that winning the Primera Division title this season was more difficult than guiding his teams to league glory in Portugal, England and Italy

169548_thumb.jpg

Vertonghen should go to Barcelona, says Ajax coach De Boer
The Belgian central defender admitted that he played his last home game for the Dutch club and his trainer believes the 25-year-old will be well-suited to the Spanish giants

182188_thumb.jpg

Guardiola: It's a bit late in the season to start giving us penalties
The Blaugrana coach has taken aim at the referees in La Liga in the wake of their victory over Malaga, before congratulating Real Madrid on winning the league title

180846_thumb.jpg

Sergio Ramos: I will take care not to drop the Liga trophy
The Real Madrid defender infamously dropped the Copa del Rey trophy under a bus during the celebrations, and has promised to take more care this time around

181755_thumb.jpg

Iker Casillas: Real Madrid now want the Champions League
The goalkeeper was very pleased with the Liga title, and is already looking ahead to next year as he has set his sights on more silverware

180900_thumb.jpg

Real reign again: Mourinho brings back La Liga to Madrid as Barcelona are toppled
The capital club made light work of a potentially tricky trip to San Mames on Wednesday and claimed their first Primera Division title since 2008 - against all the odds

176558_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid win 2011-12 La Liga title
The Santiago Bernabeu side defeated Athletic Bilbao at the San Mames to celebrate the Spanish league title two games before the end of the Liga campaign

147616_thumb.jpg

Afellay: I want to stay at Barcelona
The versatile midfielder has stressed that he has no intention to leave the Blaugrana this summer, and stressed that he'll play wherever the coach wants to use him

177069_thumb.jpg

The record to beat all records: 68-goal Messi is the greatest goalscorer the game has ever seen
The Argentine hit two penalties and added a cool third to complete his hat-trick in the 4-1 win over Malaga on Wednesday, and became Europe's all-time topscorer in a sole season

126415_thumb.jpg

Granero: I feel proud to play with men like Ronaldo
The Spanish midfielder has taken the time to praise the Portugal international, and is grateful to Real Madrid for his time at the Santiago Bernabeu side

168662_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid & Barcelona do not respect each other, claims Rummenigge
The Bayern Munich CEO has taken a dislike to the unsavoury relationship between the two Spanish clubs, as he insists that despite their rivalry, his team respect Dortmund

111692_thumb.jpg

Marchena: Villarreal's survival depends on us and not others
The ex-Spain defender has stated the importance of his side only having eyes on their own results and not those of their rivals, while he was disappointed not to be facing Valencia

172187_thumb.jpg

Muller: It would be an honour if Messi beat my record
The legendary Bayern striker reveals he would be the first to congratulate the Blaugrana forward if his personal best of 67 goals was eclipsed by the Argentine this season

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Real Madrid win 2011-12 La Liga title

The Santiago Bernabeu side defeated Athletic Bilbao at the San Mames to celebrate the Spanish league title two games before the end of the Liga campaign

May 2, 2012 10:50:00 PM

176558hp2.jpg

Real Madrid have secured their 32nd Primera Division title by beating Athletic Bilbao 3-0 on Wednesday evening. Goals from Gonzalo Higuain, Mesut Ozil and Cristiano Ronaldo helped head coach Jose Mourinho's men to the full three points.

Los Blancos hold a seven-point lead over second-placed Barcelona with only two more league games to be played.

Madrid last won the Liga title in 2007-08 when they finished eight points clear of Villarreal, but Pep Guardiola's Barca then claimed the following three championships.

With Cristiano Ronaldo as their undisputed star, the Santiago Bernabeu side have dominated the Primera for much of the campaign, and they opened up a 10-point lead several weeks ago.

But, a difficult period featuring draws against Malaga, Villarreal and Valencia helped the Catalans back in the title hunt as they closed the gap to just four points at the top.

Any hope Barca had of a miraculous comeback, though, was ended in the Clasico at Camp Nou on April 21, as Madrid won 2-1 to effectively end the title race. This was confirmed tonight in Bilbao.

Los Blancos take on Granada and Mallorca in their remaining two Liga games.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: We have beaten one of the best teams in history in Barcelona

The Portuguese claims Los Blancos defeated one of the game's greatest teams en route to winning the Primera Division and also took a swipe at certain sections of the media

May 3, 2012 7:40:00 PM

By Luke Matthews

157773hp2.jpg

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has stated his side beat one of the best sides in history to win this season's Liga yet could not resist a dig at some of his team's critics who believe Barcelona's brand of football as the only style to exist.

Los Blancos' 3-0 away win at Athletic Bilbao on Wednesday gave the capital club the title with Barca seven points behind with only two games remaining.

With their first league trophy since 2008 and Mourinho's first at the club, the Portuguese trainer was keen to talk up his team's achievement by putting their success into context.

"We have beaten one of the best teams in history, but which some 'luminaries' say play the only football that exists," he told Portuguese television channel SIC after the win at San Mames.

"These are the people who only know football by Google, who type things into the computer and absorb knowledge but football is more than that. We have played spectacular football, scored many goals and achieved a lot of victories."

The Liga trophy now means the 49-year-old has won league titles in four different countries; with the former Inter man particularly keen to register success in England, Italy and Spain.

"It was a goal I had and now it's been achieved. I have now won the leagues I wanted; that of my own country and the three most important in Europe.

I have no ambition of winning a different championship. There is no other league that motivates me.

"I'm not tired yet. I need a lot to get tired so I will continue to try and win my eighth league title and carry on enjoying what I'm doing."

Madrid are back in Liga action on Saturday when they face an away trip to Granada.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

163653_thumb.jpg

Del Bosque: It will be impossible for anyone to achieve what Guardiola has at Barcelona
The 61-year-old trainer is of the opinion that Tito Vilanova has a difficult task on his hands to replicate the successes and glory of the outgoing Camp Nou boss

160377_thumb.jpg

Barcelona confirm Alexis Sanchez will miss Espanyol clash
The South American attacker did not train with the first team and is unavailable for selection, and could be joined on the sidelines by youngster Isaac Cuenca

183748_thumb.jpg

Galliani: Ibrahimovic will not be moving to Real Madrid
Rumours in the Spanish press have stated that the Santiago Bernabeu trainer has been in touch with the Swede, but the AC Milan vice-president is not too worried

94878_thumb.jpg

Laporta refuses to rule out Barcelona return
The ex-Blaugrana supremo has hinted that he may be willing to rejoin in the near future and also criticised the board who are in charge at Camp Nou at present

116551_thumb.jpg

Pochettino: Camp Nou will be a party to wave goodbye to Guardiola and celebrate Messi
The Argentine trainer is adamant that this weekend's derby against the Blaugrana will prove to be a celebration for two of the Blaugrana's brightest stars

171821_thumb.jpg

Villas-Boas already has something in his hands, says Valencia spokesperson
The press officer of the Spanish outfit has revealed that the former Chelsea manager may be close to finding new employers, with Roma a potential destination

171900_thumb.jpg

I have f***** up personal problems, says Parejo after failed breathalyser test
The former Getafe player came close to being arrested after a drink-driving incident but has escaped with points on his license and he will be expected to pay a fine

176774_thumb.jpg

Iraizoz: I was lucky to save Ronaldo penalty
The Athletic Bilbao goalkeeper believes that fortune has not been smiling on his team this season, but it was when he faced the Real Madrid attacker's penalty

160109_thumb.jpg

Malaga make move for Keita
The Mali international still has a further two years left to run on his current contract with the Blaugrana but Los Boquerones are optimistic of luring him to Andalusia

183520_thumb.jpg

We don't want Higuain to leave Real Madrid, admits Karanka
The Argentina international has fallen behind Karim Benzema in the pecking order at the Santiago Bernabeu and is being tipped to join another of Europe's elite this summer

176296_thumb.jpg

Guardiola denies poor relationship with Messi
There have been suggestions that the pair no longer see eye to eye but the Blaugrana boss insists that he gets on as easily with the Argentine as he ever has

144709_thumb.jpg

Cup finals will not faze Athletic Bilbao players, insists Bielsa
The Argentine coach has the utmost faith in his side's ability to handle the pressure which comes with being one victory away from lifting a major title

159022_thumb.jpg

Zubizarreta: Replacing Guardiola was not an easy task
The sporting director spoke of the difficulty his side faced in their search for the 41-year-old's successor, but added he is now looking forward to next season

180094_thumb.jpg

Guardiola: Real Madrid deserve to be champions
The Blaugrana boss has stated that you need something special to beat Jose Mourinho's men, while he had good news about the recovery of David Villa

158691_thumb.jpg

Del Bosque prepared to wait 'until the last moment' for Villa
The Barcelona forward has not played since undergoing leg surgery in December but the Spain boss has reassured the striker that he will be given time to prove his fitness

175720_thumb.jpg

Barcelona interested in Alaba - report
The Spanish giants are keen to add a new left-back to their squad in the summer transfer window, and the Austria international has joined Jordi Alba as the prime targets

172617_thumb.jpg

'Joe Hart is better than Iker Casillas' - David James
Former England and Manchester City shot-stopper believes Roberto Mancini's current custodian is the best in the world and can "do much more" than the Spaniard

149713_thumb.jpg

Javi Martinez: I might have called Cristiano Ronaldo a 'son of a b***h'
The midfielder was involved in an incident with the Portugal international after Wednesday's game, and has now conceded that he may have insulted his opponent

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho would destroy Neymar's talent, says Santos president

The supremo of the Brazil international's current club feels that the Real Madrid coach would have a negative impact on the attacker's potential and it would hamper his future

May 4, 2012 11:23:00 AM

By Stefan Coerts

181045hp2.jpg

Santos president Luis Alvaro de Oliveira Ribeiro is convinced that being coached by Real Madrid's Jose Mourinho would have a negative effect on Neymar's career.

The Brazil international is considered one of the brightest young talents in world football, and has been linked with Barcelona, Chelsea and Madrid among other teams.

Nevertheless, Ribeiro feels that joining Los Blancos while Mourinho is in charge would be the end of a promising career for Neymar.

"Just imagine Neymar being coached by someone like Mourinho, who is all about discipline. That would destroy one of the biggest talents in the world," the Santos chief was quoted as saying by Bandsports.

"The thought alone makes me shudder. I just can't think about what that would mean for Neymar."

The 20-year-old attacker has repeatedly said that he intends to stay at Santos until after the 2014 World Cup, while Barcelona have recently become the favourites to sign the youngster when he becomes available.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga preview: Plenty to play for in Spain

4 May 2012

12427379270.jpg

While Real Madrid have ended the title race, the fights for survival, European berths and the golden boot continue in La Liga on Saturday.Jose Mourinho's side clinched their 32nd Spanish league title midweek, ending Barcelona's three-year strong hold, and travel to Granada in the penultimate round of the season. A result against the newly crowned champions would all but guarantee La Liga survival for 15th-placed Granada.

Real Madrid, on 94 points, however have their sights set on surpassing Barcelona's Spanish league record of 99 points in a season, set in 2010.
Real star Cristiano Ronaldo will be keen to close the two-goal gap between him and Barcelona forward Lionel Messi in the battle for top scorer this season.

Messi brought up his 46th goal of the campaign with a midweek hat-trick against Malaga and will have added incentive to extend his lead when Barcelona host Espanyol in manager Pep Guardiola's final home game.
Guardiola, who won two Champions League crowns in an unprecedented era of success at Barcelona, will take charge for the last time at Camp Nou after deciding to step down from his post at season's end.

Valencia, 36 points adrift of Real in third, can take a big step towards securing the final automatic Champions League place with a win at home against Villarreal.
Villarreal are yet to secure their La Liga status for next season and could slip closer to relegation with a poor showing in Valencia. Valencia are three points clear and have a superior goal difference over fourth-placed Malaga, who face Europa League finalists Atletico Madrid in the Spanish capital.

Only six points separates Atletico in sixth and 14th-placed Real Sociedad, leaving the door wide open for Europa League spots next season.
Real Sociedad journey to Osasuna (9th place) and Athletic Club (8th) take on Getafe (12th) in Bilbao while Mallorca (7th) could go equal on points with Levante (5th) with a win at home. Sevilla host relegation-threatened Rayo Vallecano, who are three points above the drop zone but have lost eight of their last nine games.

Real Zaragoza can go level with Vallecano on points with a win against bottom club Racing Santander while Sporting Gijon will be relegated should they fail to secure a result at home to Real Betis.
All games will kick-off simultaneously on Saturday.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga wrap: Messi leads Barca in Pep farewell

6 May 2012

12427380100.jpg

Lionel Messi's four goals helped Barcelona to a big win over Espanyol as Atletico Madrid boosted their Champions League hopes. Barcelona may have seen the La Liga title handed to Real Madrid in the week, but they still gave their supporters something to celebrate in their last home match of the season as they ran out 4-0 winners over cross-town rival Espanyol at the Camp Nou.

Messi was in commanding form as he scored all four goals, his third coming from a classy run and finish past Espanyol stopper Cristian Alvarez in the second half, that saw him reach 50 league goals for the season.
The four goals mean Messi has scored 72 goals in all competitions this campaign, becoming the first player to have scored 70 goals in a first division season since Archie Stark did it for Bethlehem Steele in the American Soccer League in 1924-25.

Having reached his hat-trick, Messi gave departing coach Pep Guardiola an emotional embrace on the sidelines as Guardiola leaves the Camp Nou with 13 titles to his name in four seasons.
The result still sees Barcelona in second, seven points adrift of La Liga champions Real Madrid, who produced a dramatic 2-1 victory over Granada (15th) through David Cortes' injury-time own goal.

Granada appeared set to boost their chances of avoiding the drop as they took the lead in the fifth minute through Franco Jara and held onto it until 10 minutes from time when Cristiano Ronaldo equalised from the spot after earning a penalty for his 45th goal of the season.

But despite being under strength and appearing the worse for wear from their La Liga celebrations, Real Madrid earned another victory as Cortes inexplicably turned Karim Benzema's cross into his own net during the third minute of added time.
Third-placed Valencia also left it late as Jonas fired home in the second minute of injury time to earn a 1-0 victory over relegation-threatened local rival Villarreal (16th), who sit just one point above the drop zone.

Malaga, meanwhile, is clinging to fourth on the Spanish table and the last Champions League qualifying position, despite a 2-1 loss to fifth-placed Atletico Madrid.
Malaga took the lead in the 38th minute through Eliseu, but conceded ate goals to Koke and Adrian to find themselves just two points ahead of Atletico heading into their last game of the season against Sporting Gijon.

Sixth-placed Levante, meanwhile, slumped to a 1-0 loss to Mallorca (seventh) as Osasuna climbed into eighth through a 1-0 win over Real Sociedad (14th).
Two goals from Papa Babacar Diawara helped Sevilla (ninth) destroy Rayo Vallecano (17th) 5-2 leaving the latter side on 40 points for the season.

That is the same amount as 18th-placed Real Zaragoza heading into the last round, after Lafita's 78th-minute goal earned Zaragoza a priceless 2-1 victory over the already relegated Racing Santander, while Athletic Bilbao (10th) played out a goalless stalemate with Getafe (11th).

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

184174_thumb.jpg

I'll remember what Guardiola taught me for the rest of my life, reveals Adriano
The Brazilian defender, who was signed by the Blaugrana trainer from Sevilla in 2010, credits the 41-year-old with his development as a player and a person over the last two years

184176_thumb.jpg

Mascherano credits Guardiola for turning him into 'a new player'
The Argentine midfielder hailed the outgoing coach for the impact he has made on his career, and also Lionel Messi after he questioned whether or not his team-mate is human

184174_thumb.jpg

Rosell: Guardiola can return to Barcelona whenever he wants
The Blaugrana supremo says the door will always be open for the 41-year-old to return to the club in the future after he oversaw his last game at Camp Nou on Saturday

182797_thumb.jpg

Karanka after Real Madrid's victory over Granada: We always respect our opponents
Los Blancos' assistant praised Abel Resino's side for their resolute display in Saturday's meeting at Los Carmenes, as he claimed that his team respect every side they play against

184167_thumb.jpg

Emotional Guardiola praises fans after Barcelona's win over Espanyol
The 41-year-old presided over his last game in charge at Camp Nou on Saturday, and he could not speak more glowingly about the support he has been given during his tenure

184161_thumb.jpg

Messi breaks record for most goals scored in a single European league season
The Argentine's record-breaking year is showing no signs of abating after he broke Dudu Georgescu's feat of 47 strikes in a single league campaign on the continent

96966_thumb.jpg

Laporta blames Barcelona board for Guardiola's exit
The former president claims the current regime has destroyed the legacy that he built at the club alongside Johan Cruyff and Txiki Begiristain, leading to the coach's departure

175720_thumb.jpg

Don't even bother calling: Bayern's Rummenigge ends Barcelona's interest in Alaba
The Austria international has impressed for the Bavarians this season and has been linked with a switch to Camp Nou; the Allianz Arena outfit are unwilling to consider the option

183564_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid have won 40 per cent of Liga titles in Spain & are joint sixth overall in Europe
The capital club claimed their 32nd Liga crown on Wednesday night, and are now among the continent's most successful sides in terms of league victories

182797_thumb.jpg

Karanka has a great future in coaching, says former Real Madrid player Francisco Pavon
The ex-Arles Avignon defender is of the opinion that the 38-year-old has the potential to become an outstanding trainer under the tutelage of Jose Mourinho

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thanks, Pep! The lights go out for Guardiola at Camp Nou, but his legend will live on

The Catalan coach said an emotional goodbye to the club's fans on Saturday as his side thrashed Espanyol, while Real Madrid remain on target for 100 points with a win at Granada

May 6, 2012 9:00:00 AM

184186hp2.jpg

COMMENTBy Ben Hayward | Spanish Football Editor

Living in Barcelona has its advantages. The Catalan capital boasts beautiful buildings, a charming cafe culture, fantastic food, and special sights, sounds and sensations on every corner. The sun shines, too, on around 300 days every year. It's a Mediterranean marvel.

But ever since 2008, there has been an added attraction: the finest football this city has even seen. A place graced by Salvador Dali, Andoni Gaudi, Pablo Picasso and numerous other illustrious individuals in times gone by has more recently been touched by a team. Not Johan Cruyff's Dream Team, but Guardiola's great group - the Pep Team.

“When they [Barca] signed him I said: 'Madre mia, we’re going to be flying'," Xavi recalled recently. And not only did they fly, but they flew to greater heights than ever witnessed before at Camp Nou. The trajectory was tremendous; the journey, magical.

184167hp2.jpg

We love you, Pep! | Barcelona fans pay tribute to Guardiola on Saturday

But that journey is now nearing its end. After four fantastic seasons, 13 titles and many more memorable moments along the way, Guardiola departs this summer. It's not over yet, of course, with two more matches still to play and the real chance of ending in sumptuous style with a 14th trophy - the Copa del Rey - later this month.

On Saturday night, however, Guardiola bade a fond farewell to Camp Nou, wiping away the tears as he addressed the fans after the 4-0 win over Espanyol (his last game as coach at the club's famous home) and later paying his final respects to the hallowed turf with his wife and children, well after midnight, with the stadium now empty.

The football that had preceded meant more to Lionel Messi than anyone else. The Argentine struck four times to surpass 70 goals in all competitions and 50 in La Liga alone, meaning he is now five clear of Cristiano Ronaldo in the race for the Pichichi with just one Primera Division game left. His numbers are nothing short of sensational and the Argentine was afforded his customary ovation. Saturday night, however, was all about Pep.

MOURINHO'S MADRID CLOSE IN ON 100 POINTS
177235_hp.jpg

151407_hp.jpg
Without Guardiola, Jose Mourinho may never have come to Spain in the first place.

It was a poor performance from Madrid at Granada on Saturday, but a penalty from Cristiano Ronaldo and an own goal in added time by David Cortes mean Mou's men are still on course for a record 100 points. Pep raised the bar; Jose jumped higher.

<tbody>
</tbody>
Barca cannot win La Liga, but the Catalan congregation have seldom seen such greatness as in the last four campaigns, which have yielded three Primera Division titles, two Champions League crowns, two Club World Cups and a host more trophies. The Camp Nou crowd voiced their affection and admiration for their coach with continuous cheers and a brilliant banner which read: "We love you, Pep!" Simple and sincere.

Elsewhere, social network sites were awash with tributes to the 41-year-old, from all over the world. Whether the current Catalan crop, as constantly claimed, are actually the finest footballing force in our lifetime, is a matter for debate and discussion, but in terms of pure passing, possession play and perfection, Guardiola's Barca have defined an era, and they have done so by achieving something which had seemed impossible: they made the beautiful game even more beautiful.

So the Camp Nou lights may have gone out for Guardiola on Saturday, but for those of us lucky enough to live in Barcelona these last few years and watch the Catalan side up close in all their glory, or for those fans and neutrals who have admired from afar, this team will live long in the memory. Thanks, Pep.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

155562_thumb.jpg

Complimenting Barcelona makes you a traitor at Real Madrid, says Valdano
The former Blancos director points out the differences in culture between his former club and the Blaugrana, but admits the Catalans have impressed him with their philosophy

184173_thumb.jpg

Messi: Guardiola will always have my respect
The Argentine says he will forever cherish the success he enjoyed under the 41-year-old, underlining the impact his boss has made on his career over the past four years

160184_thumb.jpg

Athletic Bilbao desperate for Bielsa to sign contract extension
The Basques are hoping to convince the Argentine to accept a new deal and continue the good work he has already done at San Mames

173225_thumb.jpg

Villa hopes to prove fitness to Del Bosque in Copa del Rey final - report
The country's all-time record goalscorer has been sidelined since December with a leg break but he is eyeing a return to action against Athletic Bilbao on May 25

177981_thumb.jpg

Emery to quit Valencia for Spartak Moscow - report
Los Che have posted three successive third-placed finishes under the 40-year-old, but he has come under pressure in recent weeks, particularly after their Europa League exit

184186_thumb.jpg

Vilanova to pit his wits against Guardiola in Barcelona charity match
The 42-year-old Figueres native has served as the former Spain international's right-hand man since they assumed control of the Blaugrana's B team in 2007

179665_thumb.jpg

Ozil 'honoured' to have surpassed Gunter Netzer's appearance tally for Real Madrid
The former Schalke youngster spoke of his delight at playing over a century of games for Jose Mourinho's side, and admits that this season has been a sensational one

181067_thumb.jpg

Simeone: Athletic Bilbao are a team with a lot of intensity
The Colchoneros coach has warned his side not to underestimate the Basque outfit ahead of Wednesday's all-Spanish Europa League final in Bucharest

184166_thumb.jpg

Lionel Messi reaches half century to close in on European Golden Shoe award
The Argentine superstar bagged all the goals in the Catalan derby as he broke yet another record to all but seal his status as the continent's top scorer this term

175538_thumb.jpg

Kaka: I have a contract with Real Madrid and want to stay
The midfielder has reiterated that he has no intentions of leaving Los Blancos, while adding that the missed spot-kick against Bayern is one of the worst moments of his career

164628_thumb.jpg

Roma eager to send Bojan back to Barcelona - report
The Catalans are obliged to re-sign the attacker in the summer of 2013, but his current club are keen to part company with the forward ahead of the 2012-13 campaign

177235_thumb.jpg

'Within two months I would have been unhappy' - Mourinho reveals he turned down the England job in 2007
Portuguese coach reveals a lack of games and squad contact would not have been good for him and insists he is finally 'settled' in Madrid after several jobs around Europe

167046_thumb.jpg

Trabzonspor keen on Real Madrid's Altintop - report
The Turkish giants are looking to reunite the midfielder with his brother as they have earmarked the Blancos' player as the perfect addition to their midfield

165417_thumb.jpg

Callejon: I want to win more titles with Real Madrid
The versatile attacker has settled in and impressed in his first season at the Santiago Bernabeu, and is desperate to win more silverware in the next few campaigns

174083_thumb.jpg

Soldado 'flattered' by Paris Saint-Germain links
The Valencia forward reveals he could be tempted into a switch to the Parisian club after praising their ambition, but insists he would not have an issue with staying at Mestalla

151668_thumb.jpg

Dos Santos expects Vilanova to continue promoting youth at Barcelona
The Mexican is confident the culture implemented by Pep Guardiola will live on under the assistant, while he admits the 42-year-old's promotion took the entire team by surprise

184186_thumb.jpg

Guardiola: I can’t be jealous of Messi, he has helped me improve
The 41-year-old insists he has no envy towards the Argentina star and has revealed that the striker has made him a better coach over the past four seasons at Camp Nou

183520_thumb.jpg

Mourinho: Higuain is not leaving Real Madrid
The 49-year-old coach has made it clear that the Argentina international is not available, regardless of any offers from interested teams

184235_thumb.jpg

Pellegrino to replace Emery as Valencia boss - report
The 40-year-old former Argentina international, who won two Liga titles during his time with Los Che as a player, is now on the verge of a return to Mestalla as head coach

184176_thumb.jpg

Although Messi may not be human, it's good that he still thinks he is, states Mascherano
The converted centre-half is buoyed by the fact that even though his compatriot 'plays a different sport' to everyone else, he remains a very humble individual

158961_thumb.jpg

Higuain called me to ask about Paris Saint-Germain, reveals Pastore
The Argentina international has claimed that his compatriot was keen to get the low-down on the Ligue 1 outfit as he considers his future with Los Blancos

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mourinho: Guardiola tries to sell an image of perfection

The 49-year-old coach has taken a dig at his Blaugrana counterpart, and hailed his own accomplishments in the past decade

May 6, 2012 5:00:00 PM

By Stefan Coerts

177235hp2.jpg

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has criticised Pep Guardiola as he feels the Barcelona boss is trying to sell an image of perfection.

Mourinho and Guardiola have had a number of public spats since the Portuguese's arrival at the Santiago Bernabeu in 2010, and the Madrid boss has now taken another dig at his counterpart as the Catalan gets set to step down in the summer.

"It is not normal to sell an image of perfection, because at the end of the day nobody is perfect. I have never sold an image of perfection," Mourinho was quoted as saying by ABC.

The former Inter boss then went on to hail his own accomplishments in the game, while underlining the importance of beating Barcelona to the Liga title this term.

"No coach has won a league title in the three major leagues [England, Italy, Spain]. It was an objective that I had. It is an unbelievable achievement both professionally and on a personal level.

"My target in life is not to beat Barca. I have also lost to Barca and to lose to them doesn't make me any sadder than to lose against Bayern.

"Winning the Liga title this year was important in terms of interrupting their winning cycle, though."

Mourinho concluded by once more insisting that he is keen to stay in the Spanish capital.

"I have two seasons left with Real Madrid and myself and my family are happy to have that stability."

The 49-year-old coach has won a Primera Division crown and a Copa del Rey title during his two years at the Santiago Bernabeu side.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

184363_thumb.jpg

Granada's Dani Benitez hit with three-month ban for bottle-throwing incident
The Spaniard was seen hurling a bottle that struck referee Clos Gomez in the face after the final whistle in the Primera Division encounter with Real Madrid last weekend

184324_thumb.jpg

'I would love to return to Barcelona and finish my career there' - Yaya Toure
The Cote d'Ivoire international spent three years at Camp Nou before making the switch to Manchester City and has admitted interest in making a return to Catalunya

149713_thumb.jpg

Javi Martinez: Athletic Bilbao want to make history
The Spain international is eagerly anticipating Wednesday's Europa League decider, and wants to help the Basque side to their first continental trophy in the club's history

181472_thumb.jpg

Gerard Pique gets medical all-clear for Barcelona's clash against Betis
The defender spent that past few weeks on the sidelines due to injury, but has returned to full fitness and is ready to make his comeback for the last league game

166677_thumb.jpg

La Liga club Real Betis to tour China this summer
The Spanish outfit will visit the Middle Kingdom for the first time this off-season and the Beticos president said it's an important tour in getting the club's name known in Asia

138785_thumb.jpg

Pellegrino could be Valencia's Guardiola, claims Diego Alves
The Brazil international would dearly love to see the former Che defender have the same impact at Mestalla that the ex-Blaugrana midfielder had at Camp Nou

180914_thumb.jpg

Puyol thanks fans for support after injury blow
The veteran Blaugrana defender learned on Tuesday that he requires an operation on his knee which will prevent him from travelling to Poland and Ukraine

183402_thumb.jpg

Anderlecht's Biglia claims contact with Real Madrid and Arsenal
The 26-year-old Argentina international is under contract until 2015 but he will be allowed to leave during the upcoming transfer window if a club meets his buyout clause

184305_thumb.jpg

Sevilla's Kanoute reiterates vow to continue his career outside Spain
The 34-year-old striker has no desire to line up against the Rojiblancos for one of their Liga rivals and therefore has his heart set on a move abroad

177588_thumb.jpg

Llorente header against Manchester United the key moment in Athletic Bilbao's Europa League run, reveals Herrera
The 22-year-old midfielder says that the Spain international's equaliser in their first-leg clash with the Red Devils served as the catalyst for their stirring run to the final

155555_thumb.jpg

Winning all that matters, admits Diego ahead of Europa League final
The 27-year-old attacking midfielder experienced the agony of defeat in the 2009 tournament decider and is therefore desperate to avoid suffering the same fate in Bucharest

180337_thumb.jpg

Focused Falcao committed to Atletico Madrid
The Colombian has been in sensational goalscoring form this season after his summer switch from Porto, but he is playing down talk of a move away from the Vicente Calderon

166610_thumb.jpg

Juanfran: Diego wants Atletico Madrid stay
The midfielder believes that the Brazilian playmaker is not interested in returning to the Bundesliga this summer, but reckons it will be hard for the club to buy him outright

179314_thumb.jpg

Santos president warns Barcelona off Neymar: They can go harvest potatoes in Catalunya
Luis Alvaro Ribeiro is not fazed by the Spanish club's interest in the young Brazilian sensation, whom he wants to keep at the South American club for six more decades

143007_thumb.jpg

Van Marwijk interested in La Liga or Premier League job
In the build up to Euro 2012 the 59-year-old has stated his desire to work in one of Europe's top two leagues after he ends his reign as coach of the Oranje

39812_thumb.jpg

Valencia's Guaita on Barcelona radar - report
The highy-rated goalkeeper has supposedly caught the attention of the Blaugrana, who are keeping tabs on a number of shot stoppers with one eye on the future

184186_thumb.jpg

Pep Guardiola was exhausted, says his father
The Barcelona coach's father has stated that it was clear to see his work was taking its toll on the successful coach after four stressful years at the helm of the Camp Nou club

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

181723_thumb.jpg

Schweinsteiger: Mourinho would definitely be successful at Bayern
The Germany international has nothing but praise for the Real Madrid coach, and hopes that the Portuguese will be in charge at FCB at one point in the future

183402_thumb.jpg

Anderlecht director: No Real Madrid offer for Biglia
The Belgian champions have insisted that they have yet to receive an official bid for the Argentine, although they understand Los Blancos' interest in their player

179664_thumb.jpg

Bayern desperate to sign Real Madrid flop Nuri Sahin - report
The German record champions have been in the market to add depth in their squad, and have allegedly set their sights on the ex-Dortmund star as an option in midfield

176774_thumb.jpg

Iraizoz urges Athletic Bilbao to bounce back against Barcelona after Europa League anguish
The goalkeeper urged the Basques to move on as quickly as possible after failing in their brave bid to end the club's wait for a first continental trophy

160184_thumb.jpg

Athletic Bilbao boss Bielsa takes blame for Europa League loss
The Basques had claimed the scalp of Manchester United on their way to the tournament decider, but they turned in a disappointingly flat performance in Bucharest

184997_thumb.jpg

Arda heaps praise on 'outstanding' Falcao after Europa League win
The Turkish midfielder has lauded the efforts of Atletico's talismanic striker after he inspired his side to victory in Bucharest

181067_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow the kids will wear their Atletico jerseys at school with pride, enthuses Simeone after Europa League win
The Argentine coach refused to accept any credit for the tournament triumph, preferring instead to dedicate the success to his players and the club's supporters

185027_thumb.jpg

Emotional Juanfran dedicates Atletico Madrid's Europa League triumph to late father
The 27-year-old right-back could not help but think of his dad, who passed away last year, after helping the Rojiblancos claim their second title in three seasons

185010_thumb.jpg

Falcao joy after second successive Europa League triumph
The Colombia international, who headed former club Porto to victory in last year's final in Ireland, proved just as influential in this season's tournament decider in Romania

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Mr. Europa League: Fantastic Falcao fires Atletico Madrid to glory as the rest watch on in wonder

The Colombian forward hit two stunning strikes to seal the continental crown for Diego Simeone's side and finish as the competition's leading scorer for a second season running

May 10, 2012 9:30:00 AM

839416-14306389-640-360.jpg

ANALYSIS
By Charlie Scott

On August 18, 2011, Atletico Madrid announced that they had raided 2010-11 Europa League winners Porto for Radamel Falcao and Ruben Micael, paying €45 million for the pair: €40m for the Colombian striker and €5m for the Portuguese midfielder. Roll on nine months and one of those two is on loan at struggling Zaragoza, while the other has firmly established himself in the hearts of the ever-enthusiastic crowd at the Vicente Calderon.

In last night's Europa League final against Athletic Bilbao, Falcao provided two moments of sheer class that matched both the stage and its spectacular surroundings. In two blinks of the eye in the first half, the Colombian had struck twice to give his side a 2-0 lead and set them on the way to a memorable and deserved victory, which was completed by Diego's fine third late on.

FALCAO IN EUROPA | 29 GAMES 29 GOALS
130815_hp.jpg
SEASON

2010-11 (Porto)
2011-12 (Atletico)
GAMES

GOALS

<tbody>
</tbody>
Falcao's first was created out of nothing. From a stationary position on the right side of the penalty area he curled the ball with his left foot around two Bilbao defenders and into the top left-hand corner of the net, leaving Gorka Iraizoz in goal staring on in disbelief.

His second was technically just as brilliant. After stretching to receive a pass from team-mate Arda Turan 10 yards from goal, he performed a flawless Cruyff turn that reduced Athletic defender Jon Aurtenetxe to a heap of tangled legs on the floor, before crashing a left-footed effort past the despairing Iraizoz.

His performance was one that will have wowed those who are unfamiliar with La Liga, and rightly so for it was a superb display. But for anyone who watches Atletico regularly, Falcao's exploits last night were expected, such has been his form this season.

That kind of performance and those type of goals would be heralded as extraordinary if they were carried out by most other players in the world, but for Falcao, they have become the norm.

He has now scored 29 goals in 29 Europa League games, adding 12 goals in Atletico's successful campaign this season to the 17 he notched for Porto as they secured similar success last year.

Eyebrows were raised when the Colombian chose to move to Atletico last August, with many believing he would join a club playing in the Champions League instead following his sparkling form for Porto. Indeed, if you had said last summer that Falcao would be playing in the Spanish capital this season, few would have believed he would end up turning out in the red and white of Los Colchoneros.

Despite the surprise at his move to the Calderon, and the adulation he now receives from the club’s fans, things were not always so rosy for the Colombian. Seven goals in 12 games would appear a healthy return for any striker, let alone one settling in a new city and country, but those figures hide some uncharacteristic inconsistency.

MATCH FACTS | Atletico 3-0 Athletic
185012_hp.jpg
Shots
On Target
Possession
Corners
Bookings
Sendings-off
ATLETICO13
37%
ATHLETIC
63%

<tbody>
</tbody>
After starting brightly, bagging six goals in his first four appearances, including a hat-trick against Racing Santander and a double versus Sporting Gijon, Falcao’s form began to dip, and he went on to score just once in the following eight games, with the side failing to win in seven of those.

However, his fabulous performances since have caused even the most die-hard Atleti fan to delete that mini-drought before Christmas from their memories, particularly in the wake of his match-winning display in Bucharest last night.

No other player had ever been top scorer in the Europa League or Uefa Cup in consecutive campaigns. Falcao has done it in his first two seasons in the competition.

Many were surprised he was even given the opportunity, such were the expectations that he would join a club appearing in Europe's glamour club tournament when he left Porto last summer, with Chelsea and Manchester City heavily linked and Atletico's rivals Real Madrid mentioned as well.

It will be interesting to see whether the striker will stay at Atletico should they fail to secure Champions League qualification this season, with a win away at Villarreal needed on Sunday to even be in with a chance of achieving their goal of a top-four finish.

Falcao's name is derived from the Portuguese word for falcon, and the forward has demonstrated his predatory instincts at every club he has played for so far in his career, most notably of all at Porto and at Atleti.

But as Europe’s elite clubs inevitably begin to circle following his Europa League heroics, Atletico’s falcon may soon switch from predator to prey.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

176728_thumb.jpg

Redknapp: No Tottenham deal with Barcelona for Bale
65-year-old Spurs boss has dismissed suggestions that a deal which would see the Welsh wing wizard move to Camp Nou over the summer has already been put in place

176296_thumb.jpg

Guardiola: I will rest for a year and then see what happens
The 41-year-old coach was full of praise for his assistant, who will take charge of the Blaugrana in the summer and revealed he will get some much needed rest and relaxation

118621_thumb.jpg

Barcelona are still interested in Araujo, reveals Boca Juniors president
The Catalans were believed to be keen to sign the Argentine youngster in the summer of 2011, and the player's current club have now revealed they are still interested

182094_thumb.jpg

Barcelona to appoint Sergio Lobera as assistant to Vilanova - report
The current Ceuta boss worked for the Catalan club's youth academy for eight years, and is set to be brought into the new coach's backroom staff when his tenure begins

185185_thumb.jpg

Arda has become very popular at Atletico, says agent
The Turkish winger's representative has revealed that his client is ecstatic with his debut season in La Liga, but acknowledged that his stay at the Calderon is not certain

179906_thumb.jpg

Figo: Cristiano Ronaldo will continue to break records
The former Portugal international has nothing but praise for his compatriot, and feels the prolific attacker will carry on adding milestones to his collection

160396_thumb.jpg

Cuenca: Messi is the best and deserves another Ballon d'Or
The young attacker has nothing but praise for the Argentina international, and is eagerly anticipating next season with Tito Vilanova set to take charge of the Blaugrana

149713_thumb.jpg

Barcelona remain interested in Athletic Bilbao's Javi Martinez - report
The Blaugrana are not in a position to meet the versatile midfielder's buyout clause but it is believed that they now view the as a better option than AC Milan's Thiago Silva

167918_thumb.jpg

Wolfsburg fans can look forward to seeing Diego's skills again next season, claims Magath
The former West Germany international had a falling out with the Brazilian last season but he has now suggested that he will be welcomed back with open arms

175527_thumb.jpg

Xabi Alonso lauds Real Sociedad's retiring captain Aranburu
As a former skipper of the Basque side, the defensive midfielder is in awe of his old team-mate, who is to lead the club for the last time against Valencia on Sunday

185004_thumb.jpg

Champions League football crucial to holding on to Falcao, admits Atletico CEO Gil Marin
The Rojiblancos director has admitted that the club's revenue will be adversely affected if they do not manage to pip Malaga to fourth place in La Liga on Sunday

185011_thumb.jpg

Europa League success proves I was right to join Atletico Madrid, boasts Falcao
The 26-year-old forward has revealed that there were plenty of people who warned him against joining the Rojiblancos, so he is now delighted to have ignored their advice

156930_thumb.jpg

Cuenca plays down Athletic's Europa League defeat
The 21-year-old attacker says that Marcelo Bielsa's side will not be more motivated following their continental defeat, but admits they will be a stronger side

116405_thumb.jpg

Abidal to visit France squad during Euro 2012
The Barcelona defender is set to join up with his countrymen as they attempt to claim the trophy on Eastern European soil

158961_thumb.jpg

Pastore confirms PSG 'contact' with Higuain
The Argentine playmaker has suggested that there is a desire on the French club's behalf to lure his compatriot to the Parc des Princes

177568_thumb.jpg

Real Madrid will have to pay at least €10 million for Piszczek, says agent
The Polish defender's representative has indicated that a move to Los Blancos would be a step forward in the player's career and refused to rule out a summer transfer

160109_thumb.jpg

Keita resumes Barcelona training
The midfielder spent the past few days on the sidelines due to injury, but is set to make his comeback after returning to practice on Thursday

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

La Liga preview: European spots on the line

11 May 2012

12427382750.jpg

Three European places and the relegation fates of two sides will be decided on a tense final day in La Liga.Following their 3-0 win over Athletic Bilbao on Wednesday, Europa League champions Atletico Madrid now have their eye on a much bigger prize - Champions League football. With league champions Real Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia sealing the other three berths, Atletico will battle Malaga and Levante for Spain's fourth and final Champions League place.

Despite two-straight defeats Malaga (55 points) remain in prime position, with a win over all-but relegated Sporting Gijon required for them to seal the final spot.
Atletico (53) face a tricky trip to Villarreal (who must also win to ensure they are not relegated) and like Levante, will be hoping Malaga fail to win to give both sides a chance. If Atletico defeat Villarreal and Malaga only manage a draw that would be enough for the former to take the final spot on the basis of their superior goal difference.

However, only a win for Levante (52) at home to Bilbao will be enough provided Atletico fail to win and Malaga lose to Sporting Gijon.
To survive the drop, Gijon must defeat Malaga and make up a five-goal difference on Rayo Vallecano, who can seal Gijon's fate with at least a draw at home to Granada. Granada have been hit with a host of suspensions following a melee in their heated 2-1 defeat away to Real Madrid and depending on the results of Villarreal and Real Zaragoza, may need a point against Vallecano to avoid relegation.

They will have to do without winger Dani Benitez, who was suspended for three months by the Spanish Football Federation for throwing a plastic bottle at the referee, while midfielder Moises Hurtado and defender Siqueira were banned for four matches and striker Alex Geijo for one.
Champions Real survived the tense finale relatively unscathed and will parade the trophy at the Bernabeu when they take on sixth-placed Mallorca.

Another win would see Jose Mourinho's side set a new La Liga record of 100 points, beating Barcelona's mark of 99 points set in 2010.
Barcelona play the last game of Pep Guardiola's tenure against Real Betis at the Camp Nou, with Lionel Messi having the chance to add to his record La Liga tally of goals, which stands at 50. A host of teams could finish in fifth and sixth place and earn one of the two Europa League berths - including Malaga if they fail to win, Atletico, Levante, Mallorca (52), Osasuna (51), Sevilla (49) and Athletic Bilbao (49).

With five teams still threatened with the drop only Racing Santander are certain to play second division football next season.
In other matches that should have little bearing, Valencia travel to Real Sociedad on Saturday and Espanyol are at home to Sevilla.On Sunday, Santander play host to Osasuna and Getafe welcome Real Zaragoza.

Gonzalo Higuain

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Raul donates €4,000 to save childhood club from folding

The former Spain star, who has played his last competitive game for Schalke, was quick to help out after it emerged that his local side were in danger of going under

May 10, 2012 11:30:00 PM

By Mark Doyle

180209hp2.jpg

The president of San Cristobal de los Angeles, Pedro Albares Iniesta, has revealed that the club have been saved from extinction by a donation of €4,000 from their most famous alumni,Raul.

The legendary striker spent three years with his local team before joining Atletico Madrid's youth academy in 1990 and then later moving on to Real Madrid.

The rest is history, of course, but Raul has never forgotten where he came from and when San Cristobal announced a few weeks ago that they needed to raise €4,000 before the end of June in order to keep the club afloat, the former Spain international came to their aid.

"I have been informed that the money has been sent and everything has been settled," Iniesta told AS on Thursday.

"Raul means everything for this neighborhood. But we ask for one more thing: Let him come here one day so that we can hug him, to talk to him and remember the old days ..."

The 34-year-old forward parted company with Schalke last weekend, after two seasons in Gelsenkirchen, and will now continue his career outside Europe.

Marcelo Vieira

Messi pays medical bills for suffering 12-year-old

The Barcelona attacker will ensure Waleed Kashash receives treatment for the next six years after being informed of the Moroccan youngster's growth hormone deficiency

May 13, 2012 12:45:00 AM

By Livio Caferoglu

185681hp2.jpg

A 12-year-old diagnosed with the same condition previously suffered by Lionel Messi will be treated for by the Barcelona attacker after the 24-year-old vowed to pay for the child's medical bills.

Waleed Kashash, who was diagnosed with growth hormone deficiency (GHD), had dreamt of beating the disorder to make the grade as a footballer, but the cost of his treatment threatened to destroy his hopes.

However, a woman named Soad al-Affani decided to notify Messi of the youngsters' illness, to which the Argentine replied by stating that he would cover his costs of 3000 dirham (€208) every 15 days until he becomes 18.

Messi then took a photo of himself holding Waleed's T-shirt and wrote a message for him to be strong and with all of his love.

GHD is a rare condition that affects approximately one in 3800 child births, while in adulthood, symptoms are felt in roughly 10 per million.

Marcelo Vieira

Valdes wins Zamora trophy

The Barcelona custodian has now equalled Antoni Ramallets' record of five successes in the goalkeeping award after achieving the feat for a fourth consecutive season

May 12, 2012 11:45:00 PM

By Livio Caferoglu

158118hp2.jpg

Victor Valdes has won this season's Ricardo Zamora trophy after being crowned the goalkeeper with the best goals-to-games ratio in La Liga.

The Barcelona shot-stopper conceded just 28 league goals throughout 2011-12, despite seeing the ball evade him twice in the 2-2 draw with Real Betis on Saturday, to net himself his fourth straight personal triumph.

The feat now means Valdes is now on par with legendary former Blaugrana goalkeeper Antoni Ramallets, who previously set the current record of five Zamora trophies between 1947 and 1962.

Coach Pep Guardiola had originally planned to start reserve goalkeeper Jose Manuel Pinto against Betis, but his sprained ankle forced the outgoing boss to name Valdes in his starting XI.

The 30-year-old's success means he has now surpassed former Valencia goalkeeper Santiago Canizares and ex-Deportivo custodian Juan Acuna in Zamora history.