• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ken: Citizens Need to Win Hears of PRs

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Strengthen immigration policies to achieve integration
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->NATIONAL Development Minister Mah Bow Tan brought up a larger issue behind the debate on foreign workers' dormitories, which is how 'to accept and live with a larger foreign worker population'.
Foreign workers will continue to increase in number in the future. First, more and more citizens will become old and retire. Second, new entrants to the workforce are declining in number due to fewer births in the past 30 years. Third, productivity growth lags behind economic growth. When the economy expands by 5 per cent and productivity grows by say 2 per cent, we need 3 per cent more workers.
New foreign workers can contribute to our economy straightaway. Our procreation measures will take another two decades to bear similar result. As their number grows, the integration issue becomes more urgent.
In particular, we need to integrate better qualified permanent residents into society, whose number could increase from the current 500,000 to one million in 15 to 20 years. We should persuade as many PRs as possible to become citizens. Currently we convince only one in three to do so. The task may become more difficult in the future as their countries of birth catch up with us.
To counter this, we should step up efforts to entice PRs to become citizens as early as possible. PRs who are young and those with children should be given priority. We could offer incentives to them and their children. The sooner they become citizens, the more bonus they get.
We should encourage single PRs to marry; remove restrictions or barriers, if any.

=> Did not Wooden suggest using Nanyang girls to entice the PRC FTrash in Chinese High Sch not to quit Sg?

Once they form families here, the chances they will stay here for good and become citizens are higher. Some pro-family incentives can be extended to them. If too many PRs remain single and do not procreate, our population ageing problem will be aggravated in the long term, and our immigration objective will not be fully met.
Equally important, citizens need to win the hearts of PRs and foreigners through our attitude and behaviour.

Ptui_C.jpg

How PRs, new citizens and locals can live as one people remains a great challenge in the future. With diverse background and possible social division between local and foreign-born, we cannot afford to let the matter take its own course, but should initiate proactive strategies and programmes to make it happen faster, more smoothly and in the manner we want. Ng Ya Ken

nexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
When singapore is our land and home why should we need to win the hearts of these FTs? Is MR Ken trying to tell us that all singaporeans should go on their knee and please these FTs to stay in spore?

The whole govt still doesn't get the point, these FTs are only here to earn $$$ and then go somewhere else. Singapore is only a stepping stone for all of them.

Singaporeans should not be the ones to please them, it should be the FTs learning to integrate into the singaporean society and learn our culture and languages.

There should be a qouta to the number of FTs coming in and a comprehensive educational and background check on them so as to weed out those fraudsters.

If the spore economy were to go on a down turn how many of the FTs and PRs will stay in singapore? Many will run road.

Only the local will stay and go through thick and thin with the country. And when things gets better these FTs and PRs will come back and then try to ask for more.

Last edited:

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
When singapore is our land and home why should we need to win the hearts of these FTs? Is MR Ken trying to tell us that all singaporeans should go on their knee and please these FTs to stay in spore?

Singaporeans should not be the ones to please them, it should be the FTs learning to integrate into the singaporean society and learn our culture and languages.

Agree,

They are the people who are guest in a country, why should the local PLEASE them?
What the F are they?

Even as I am somewhere else, I learn their ways and assimulate into their way of living.

The say " While in Rome, Live like the Romans do".

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Someone wants to live in my house, use my stuff, and I have to win his heart? Someone please get real :mad:

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do I need to win my MP's heart so I can pay them 14k a month for doing his part time job and continue to get my vote?

So I must suck up to my MP so that I can vote for him lah. I like his logic leh.

Next time I go see doctor, I will tell doctor to pay me to win my heart so that I will continue to get sick and see him.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
which is how 'to accept and live with a larger foreign worker population'.

Accept his mistake??? and his misjudegment and error foresight? Oh yes, sinkies will accept, only these group of losers will accept watever he says, there are a number of them here in this forum.

mockingbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Economic migrants are attracted to the better lives that a particular place provides them. If there are no intangibles that can keep them feel worthwhile to be rooted, they would not hesitate to pack up again and leave for greener pastures.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
NATIONAL Development Minister Mah Bow Tan brought up a larger issue behind the debate on foreign workers' dormitories, which is how 'to accept and live with a larger foreign worker population'.
Foreign workers will continue to increase in number in the future. First, more and more citizens will become old and retire. Second, new entrants to the workforce are declining in number due to fewer births in the past 30 years. Third, productivity growth lags behind economic growth. When the economy expands by 5 per cent and productivity grows by say 2 per cent, we need 3 per cent more workers.
Ng Ya Ken

While the context he states is understandable, its also worth noting two main points:

1. The planning of the places of where foreign workers are being housed must be done way in advance by the government in partnership with private companies, and with the civil service who brings in foreign workers to do all these public infrastructure.

You shouldn't blame locals who aren't even in charge of the issue in the first place especially when you're the one in charge of the whole thing. That's just irresponsible.

2. Secondly, immigration of both skilled and unskilled workers must be properly managed and numbers set. This will only make the issue more manageable and become less touchy with locals. It also address the issues that locals will have with foreign workers, especially unskilled ones, especially in regards to social manners, crime, education and etc.

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Accept his mistake??? and his misjudegment and error foresight? Oh yes, sinkies will accept, only these group of losers will accept watever he says, there are a number of them here in this forum.

You have aready accepted what he says, right? You have an FDW gf.

So who is the loser?

miosux

Alfrescian
Loyal
the govt gets the point, they're not as dumb as we like to think they are. they are just DESPERATE and have no other solution to the falling population numbers. the best they can do with their million dollar salaries is to import foreign trash and hope for the best. make no mistake, Singapore is in DIRE STRAITS.

million $ salaries...bah! money for nothing...

The whole govt still doesn't get the point, these FTs are only here to earn $$$ and then go somewhere else. Singapore is only a stepping stone for all of them.

ksterk

Alfrescian
Loyal
SO what should we all do to made sure this FTs stay?

give them special treatments both in work & outside.
Always let go first in Qs
Lets FTs have a special label on their cars, so they can cut lanes n park everywhere they like w/o fear of being booked.
Just let them have the free hand to do what ever & whenever they like:biggrin:

We love u FTs, pls dun go, pls stay here, pls all FTs stay here, we citizens will leave this country for you. thks :biggrin: