• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kaohsiung mom honored for care of daughter with aging syndrome

Firestorm

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Kaohsiung mom honored for care of daughter with aging syndrome

Staff Reporter 2013-05-01 08:51

65345_8110000.429.V429SG3H_2013%E8%B3%87%E6%96%99%E7%85%A7%E7%89%87_copy2.JPG

Chen Pei-an says she wants her daughter to experience life to the fullest extent possible. (File photo/Lee Yi)

A Kaohsiung mother as been honored by the Taiwan Disabled-free Association on April 29 as she prepares herself for the eventual death of her 11-year-old daughter who has Cockayne syndrome.

Chen Pei-an, 38, says that her daughter Lu Wen-yu stopped growing at age 3 and has experienced rapid premature aging. "I know I will lose her no matter what, but I am getting myself ready for that," she said.

Chen said that her daughter was 47cm tall at birth and weighed 2.8kg and reached a height of 87cm and a weight of 9kg when she was three but has not grown since then. "Her biological age is around 77 now," Chen said. "She can't see or hear anything now."

Chen said that ever since Lu was diagnosed with the rare congenital disorder, she began to do her best to "make it up to her daughter" before it is too late. "I would take her to see flowers in spring, enjoy the sea in summer, appreciate the maple trees in fall and soak in hot springs in winter," Chen said. "I don't want her to miss anything in her short life."

Chen said she and her husband were divorced two years ago. She quit her job in order to take care of her daughter full time, while her ex-husband took care of their financial needs.

Cockayne syndrome is a rare disorder characterized by growth failure, impaired development of the nervous system, abnormal sensitivity to sunlight, and premature aging. A child with the syndrome normally lives for no more than 13 years. Loss of hearing and eyesight are common features, as well as problems with organ function.