• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just Arrived in Australia

Raiders

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hi there,
Goodjob and congrat for ur gaining to the greener side. I m in the mid of processing to the greener side, can give some advise for what to look out for?

humble peasant.

Hi Terry, are you planning to go yourself or are you bringing your wife and children along?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi, can you advice on the paper work process for application? And type of visa to apply for? Or can you point me to the information? Is it Oz embassy website or what? Thanks in advance.

In Australia, a lot of things are dumbed down and straightforward for clients. Just follow Ash007 advice and visit the immi website. Just some quick search and you should find what you want.

Last edited:

williamwindsor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi all, I've been in Perth for 4 weeks now, settled all my paperwork and now looking for jobs. Anyone in Perth now and also looking for jobs? Maybe we can meet and share ideas.

Why meet a Singaporean in Australia? Sounds like you are better off staying in Singapore.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You land on the right state ! Check out the mining sector.. Plenty of jobs ! High paying jobs !

FIFO lifestyle.

A machine operator working in Karara Iron Ore mine
FIFO 4 weeks on, 1 week off

Salary: $170,000 a year

4:30am Wake up
Drive to Tullamarine airport (45 mins)
Fly from Melbourne to Perth (4.5 hrs)
Transfer to Skippers Aviation terminal (10 mins)
Wait for next flight (3 hrs)
Fly from Perth to Karara (1 hr)
Transfer to mine site by coach (1 hr)

Electrician, Pluto LNG Project
FIFO 4 weeks on, 1 week off
Travel 5,200km from Taranaki NZ to Karratha, WA every 9 weeks to work

Cat 777F driver earns about $130k

Issues: Loneliness, lack exercise, miss family/friends
There are temptations for both the worker and his missus.

Some solve the problem thru FIFO Family Support Groups

thepill

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi qxd,

i was an assistant project manager in construction in sg. I am not sure if I could find related jobs here but i am willing to do any kind of jobs (legal) just to get an income to start us off. My wife is pregnant, coming to 3rd tri soon so I don't want to waste much time. I'd be grateful and appreciate any advice or recommendations.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My wife is pregnant, coming to 3rd tri soon so I don't want to waste much time. I'd be grateful and appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Your wife in Singapore? giving birth in Singapore?

Have you registered for Medicare?
Do you know about private health funds.

Eg The waiting list for X-rays in public hospitals is around 6 months, but usually I just visit a private clinic and pay $75 and claim back some from Medicare. If you have gap coverage, private health fund will refund you the rest.

I was told that public hospitals will get "rid" of patients quickly after birth. Want a nice package, private health insurance with preggy plan is the way to go. Just take note of the waiting period before you can use that plan.

AS a new migrant, you are given 1 year to buy into a private health fund if you are above age 31.
**** Otherwise, they will load the premium. But if you have private health fund continuously for 10 years, the govt will remove the loading.

http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/faq/

Last edited:

thepill

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your wife in Singapore? giving birth in Singapore?

Have you registered for Medicare?
Do you know about private health funds.

Eg The waiting list for X-rays in public hospitals is around 6 months, but usually I just visit a private clinic and pay $75 and claim back some from Medicare. If you have gap coverage, private health fund will refund you the rest.

I was told that public hospitals will get "rid" of patients quickly after birth. Want a nice package, private health insurance with preggy plan is the way to go. Just take note of the waiting period before you can use that plan.

AS a new migrant, you are given 1 year to buy into a private health fund if you are above age 31.
**** Otherwise, they will load the premium. But if you have private health fund continuously for 10 years, the govt will remove the loading.

http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/faq/

Hi neddy,

We've got a medicare a/c already, fumbled through that but somehow we got it right. Holding a temporary card now. After that we visited a GP, who told us it is improbable that private will cover my wife now as she is already in 3rd trimester. But we could get it after she gives birth and there wun be much problems shd we have a 2nd child in future. Nevertheless I'll still check and confirm.

I could get it first. Thanks for your link I'll spend some time reading up today.

If public hospital discharge my wife too soon, I'll take care of her. Most like my MIL will be flying over to help out for a month or so.

Thanks for your help. I'm happy to absorb more info shd u think of any.

refulgence

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why is this so and how to go about rectifying the situation?

The irritation is acute only for a purist. The source of the grammatical malaise cannot be expunged since there is an endless stream of candidates who are unable or unwilling to follow the strict canons of the English language.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Don't think any less of the Public System when it comes to matters such as Pregnancies.

Have seen many folks going through the Public system and the only difference is that you do not get to choose your gynae. IIRC, all delivery cases also get single bed wards.

Also, there is no out-of-pocket costs to the patient throughout their stay.

BTW, remember that if you take up pte health insurance, you will have ZERO loading if you take it up within a year of your arrival.

Enjoy your stay in Perth. Take things slow at first and learn to like the people and the culture as you look for a job, the more the kiasi/kiasu Singaporean you behave, the more you will find yourself alienated in time.

And while 5-figure monthly paychecks are relatively common, there is no harm in taking your time to get there, as age is not a problem in jobs here as much as it is in SG.

So, unless you are here to retire or on a job posting, remember that you are starting life anew, a second chance in life to actually live.

Hi neddy,

We've got a medicare a/c already, fumbled through that but somehow we got it right. Holding a temporary card now. After that we visited a GP, who told us it is improbable that private will cover my wife now as she is already in 3rd trimester. But we could get it after she gives birth and there wun be much problems shd we have a 2nd child in future. Nevertheless I'll still check and confirm.

I could get it first. Thanks for your link I'll spend some time reading up today.

If public hospital discharge my wife too soon, I'll take care of her. Most like my MIL will be flying over to help out for a month or so.

Thanks for your help. I'm happy to absorb more info shd u think of any.

thepill

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi QXD, sorry I am rather new to this. Can you explain what it means by loading?

I am thinking of taking a MR driving license, do you know how the system works i.e the flow of activities I should be undertaking?

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
From Medibank Private website:

"The loading generally applies if you don't have hospital cover on the 1 July following your 31st birthday. This means for every year you don't have hospital cover, you'll pay a 2% loading on top of a base rate on your premium (or on your share of a couple or family premium) up to a maximum loading of 70%. The loading applies only to hospital cover or the hospital component of your cover – not to extras covers. Any loading that applies to your premium will be removed after you've held hospital cover continuously for 10 years. However, the loading may be reapplied if you then cease to hold a hospital cover and subsequently take it up again."

Basically, you pay more every year that you do not take Private Health insurance if you are above 31 years in age, but if you are a new migrant, and above 31, this does not apply as you did not previously enjoy any medical benefits in Australia.

As for MR licensing, you can flip through the West Australian, I see ads for such courses in there on a daily basis. You can speak to them directly after doing some background research on the net.

hi QXD, sorry I am rather new to this. Can you explain what it means by loading?

I am thinking of taking a MR driving license, do you know how the system works i.e the flow of activities I should be undertaking?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

QXD not around so I (busybody) answer first.

Welcome to Perth. Hope you find the people here normal. We are rather insular, being remote from the next big city.
So even a WA footy player's finger fracture will make BIG news.

QXD is right. Our priority here is different from Singaporeans. Eg We do not even like the "Kiasu" Sydney people or the "Kia-se" Canberra people. (I always joke about them) Try to unlearn your Singapore mentality and you will enjoy yourself here. :smile:

Back to your question........

In insurance term, loading means the extra premium you pay on top of the usual.
Eg Travel Insurance for a normal person is $100. But travel insurance for someone with medical problem may be $120. That $20 is the loading.
So, if you are age 40 and you apply for a health fund, they will add 9 years of loading into your premium.

When it comes to salary, if you have leave loading, it means the extra pay the employer give you to enjoy your holidays. :biggrin:
http://www.fairwork.gov.au/industri...or-annual-leave-and-annual-leave-loading.aspx

About the MR driver licence (not license - just as advice not advise.)
Just get the Class C licence first.
Last time, it is quite easy to convert from Singapore licence. Just take the computer test and you will get the result on the same day.
If you are holding a UK driver licence like mine, you can even get a HR licence upon conversion.
check out: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20389.asp

Remember, angmo like procedures, you will find them on the internet. Just don't get information overload.

This is the spring wildflowers season, go visit Kings' Park. http://www.bgpa.wa.gov.au/festival

*** Forgot this point, keep your recent utilities, telephone bills that have your name and address on it. It can be used as a legal document when doing a 100 point identity check - remember, we do not have NRIC here ****

Last edited:

thepill

Alfrescian
Loyal
From Medibank Private website:

"The loading generally applies if you don't have hospital cover on the 1 July following your 31st birthday. This means for every year you don't have hospital cover, you'll pay a 2% loading on top of a base rate on your premium (or on your share of a couple or family premium) up to a maximum loading of 70%. The loading applies only to hospital cover or the hospital component of your cover – not to extras covers. Any loading that applies to your premium will be removed after you've held hospital cover continuously for 10 years. However, the loading may be reapplied if you then cease to hold a hospital cover and subsequently take it up again."

Basically, you pay more every year that you do not take Private Health insurance if you are above 31 years in age, but if you are a new migrant, and above 31, this does not apply as you did not previously enjoy any medical benefits in Australia.

As for MR licensing, you can flip through the West Australian, I see ads for such courses in there on a daily basis. You can speak to them directly after doing some background research on the net.

Thanks QXD,

I see your point it is important to do it within the first year then. I've found some companies giving MR lessons. Just that they normally don't have a detail breakdown of the procedures I have to go through. I have the costs and locations of these places jotted down. Just wondering if the centres conduct the tests in-house or do I have to go to another place to get myself tested.

Forgive me I am still stuck in the Singaporean govt(eg.bbdc)/private systems. That's why I am trying to understand how the system works here.

Another question I hope you don't mind. When I convert my driving licence (class C) from Singapore, do they put down the date when I obtained it in Singapore in the Australian licence ? The reason why I asked is that, the MR criteria requires someone who is holding a Australian licence for (at least) 2 years to be eligible to take the course.

I am not sure if they count it from the date of issue or the date I obtained my licence (which actually reflects my real experience) and I can't seem to find any information on this. If it is the former, then sadly I suspected I may not be eligible to take up lessons.

I don't think most (ex) Singaporeans would have taken MR licence though, so perhaps you may not be aware as well. Just trying my luck :smile: