• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jollibee attracts long lines in SG despite boycott threat

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear all. Just my 2 cents.

1. This Jb thing. Even if hire local. Who will want to work there? The ones tat matters most r the PMET. No local will work in f&b so does it matter?

2. The issue is the pmet jobs being lost to the foreign trash.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear all. Just my 2 cents.

1. This Jb thing. Even if hire local. Who will want to work there? The ones tat matters most r the PMET. No local will work in f&b so does it matter?

2. The issue is the pmet jobs being lost to the foreign trash.

Is this true? Just look at the staff at Old Chang Kee outlets. Many are middle-aged aunties, i.e. locals. I think only some proportion are Malaysians. I also see many middle-aged aunties manning fast food counters in KFC, A&W, Burger King etc.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These F&B kitchen/cashier jobs are dead-end jobs. No self-respecting person would want to work in them long-term if there are better alternatives.

If there's a minimum wage law, you might be able to get a reasonable wage working in these jobs, but it's not going to happen soon, because you-know-who wants all the profits and rent.

They've created the very problem (low wages) they're trying to solve (foreign workers). That's like knocking someone unconscious then performing CPR on him. Why not avoid the problem from the very beginning?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Is this true? Just look at the staff at Old Chang Kee outlets. Many are middle-aged aunties, i.e. locals. I think only some proportion are Malaysians. I also see many middle-aged aunties manning fast food counters in KFC, A&W, Burger King etc.

Expand your sample size. Plenty of Pinoys and Tiongs manning the OCK counters.

The same goes for places such as Breadtalk, Toast Box etc.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not to mentioned also besides being a dead end job, these places have long working hours. There are alot of restaurants that dont have quotas for FTs and can only hire Sinkees or PRs but the hours stretch to about 60 hours a week. Ive noticed alot of these companies that advertised on gumtree are upping their pay slightly but the hours are increased greatly.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Expand your sample size. Plenty of Pinoys and Tiongs manning the OCK counters.

The same goes for places such as Breadtalk, Toast Box etc.

BreadTalk yes, I would agree, as I have seen that personally. But the OCK outlets I have observed I have not seen a single Pinoy. So I don't know.
But my point is that I have certainly seen middle-aged local aunties at OCK. No question about that.

Frankly, these are jobs, not careers. And there is no loss of dignity or respect in such jobs or in doing any honest day's labour.

whatthink

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of cos is just a job, but you think those yong generation gradute will work in the kitchen, F&B, sinkie don't even want to work at Tuas or Loyang area, some are better paid then in CBD, I know some SME around these area, there also want to employ sinkie (not with low pay), but when the sinkie candidate know the location is Tuas/Loyang, they will give excuse of too far lah, want to sleep more lah, already agree to interview then MIA, call no answer.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes such F&B jobs will not be favoured by locals. So might as well let the foreigners do it. Foreigners are meant to compliment local labour and not replace it like the way they are dominating the PMET jobs.

Not to mentioned also besides being a dead end job, these places have long working hours. There are alot of restaurants that dont have quotas for FTs and can only hire Sinkees or PRs but the hours stretch to about 60 hours a week. Ive noticed alot of these companies that advertised on gumtree are upping their pay slightly but the hours are increased greatly.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Of cos is just a job, but you think those yong generation gradute will work in the kitchen, F&B, sinkie don't even want to work at Tuas or Loyang area, some are better paid then in CBD, I know some SME around these area, there also want to employ sinkie (not with low pay), but when the sinkie candidate know the location is Tuas/Loyang, they will give excuse of too far lah, want to sleep more lah, already agree to interview then MIA, call no answer.

Maybe can blame the PAP for setting a bad example. No one wants to be a "lesser mortal" anymore they all want the same working conditions & pay that the PAP are enjoying. Wouldn't you :wink:

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Maybe can blame the PAP for setting a bad example. No one wants to be a "lesser mortal" anymore they all want the same working conditions & pay that the PAP are enjoying. Wouldn't you :wink:

Thank you for politicizing this thread.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tuas and Loyang and fuck up locations,,,take forever to get there and forever to get home. Y dont the employer offer free tpt on company bus? Y dont they offer taxi allowances?? and Y cant PAP better develop the public tpt? Fuck PAP and asshole SME bosses

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pinoys love Maggi seasoning sauce. How much of that sauce is used in the chicken and burger of this fast food joint?

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If you pay $10 an hour, I am sure there will be lots of sinkees that want to do it.
I think the PAP is spinning a myth that sinkees don't want the work, so must import million of foreigners to do it. They made a boo-boo by calling nursing a low-wage job. Though they apologized, the policy of importing foreign nurses continue.

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Steer It Your Way

Sporeans may not be interested in politics but the reality is that our lifes are governed by big brother in a big way.

Always look at the wheel in front of you. And don't let a drunkard drive for you.

Some people thought that Politics is just too high for their average intelligence to know it. But, you don't need a high intelligence to know an asshole. :wink:

That's why everyone should be in charge of politics and steer it your way.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tuas and Loyang and fuck up locations,,,take forever to get there and forever to get home. Y dont the employer offer free tpt on company bus? Y dont they offer taxi allowances?? and Y cant PAP better develop the public tpt? Fuck PAP and asshole SME bosses

Been years since I was in that place but if you don't drive the only way to get there is by cab.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That's the problem with Singapore's employment laws.

For these kind of hourly wage jobs, there are typically two 'either-or' main attractions:

1) Flexible schedule, you can clock any number of hours you wish, and on any days you wish. Of course, weekend shifts should pay slightly more.

2) Pay correlates with hours clocked, so if you voluntarily 'piah' 50-60 hours per week, you can expect to get a handsome sum of money.

Now, what good is it to make it mandatory that the employees work insane hours (no flexibility) and on top of that, for an hourly pittance? That's the worst of both worlds.

Of course, it's good for the business owners and the rent collectors. But that's precisely what is wrong in Singapore: the govt has tilted the balance too much in favor of capital and had neglected labour. A successful business is a cooperation of capital and labour as equals, there's no reason to think that capital lords over labour.

No wonder productivity is low. No wonder the businesses are hooked on cheap foreign labour like a drug addict on crack.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's the problem with Singapore's employment laws.

For these kind of hourly wage jobs, there are typically two 'either-or' main attractions:

1) Flexible schedule, you can clock any number of hours you wish, and on any days you wish. Of course, weekend shifts should pay slightly more.

2) Pay correlates with hours clocked, so if you voluntarily 'piah' 50-60 hours per week, you can expect to get a handsome sum of money.

Now, what good is it to make it mandatory that the employees work insane hours (no flexibility) and on top of that, for an hourly pittance? That's the worst of both worlds.

Of course, it's good for the business owners and the rent collectors. But that's precisely what is wrong in Singapore: the govt has tilted the balance too much in favor of capital and had neglected labour. A successful business is a cooperation of capital and labour as equals, there's no reason to think that capital lords over labour.

No wonder productivity is low. No wonder the businesses are hooked on cheap foreign labour like a drug addict on crack.

I have done 120 hours a week with Japanese assholes before.