• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is there anything special about Ah Kun kaya ?

Jumong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm surprised that a simple loti kaya meal can sell so well, so much so that another company Toast Box copied Ah Kun's formula and became just as successful with branches all over South East Asia.

Is there something about Ah Kun kaya that attracts you ?

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
in his father's time, ah kun was a simple n honest kopiboy who sold affordable kopi, tea to me. now it's overhyped and armed with very sharp parang. their so-so kopi, tea now cost $1.30 (dunno got increase further). so their kopi, tea is now definitely NOT me :(

their kaya is just so so. any commercially canned or bottled kaya is either comparable or even better than ya kun.

pls try any local hawker centre's kopi stall kaya. u shall be very much surprised not only at the quality but also the cheaper prices.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
in his father's time, ah kun was a simple n honest kopiboy who sold affordable kopi, tea to me. now it's overhyped and armed with very sharp parang. their so-so kopi, tea now cost $1.30 (dunno got increase further). so their kopi, tea is now definitely NOT me :(

their kaya is just so so. any commercially canned or bottled kaya is either comparable or even better than ya kun.

pls try any local hawker centre's kopi stall kaya. u shall be very much surprised not only at the quality but also the cheaper prices.

i ask you , last time rental how much ?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Toast Box's surpassed Yakun with slick marketing. Yakun's varied all over (franchise woes?).

Still, Yakun's cheaper for kopi fix and snack in malls over branded cafes.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
just try from any hawker centre kopi stalls

ya kun has now detached from the original purpose when Ah Kun first started his humble kopi roti business.

I can say the same for Old Chang Kee and many others.

Once you franchise it, it becomes fucked up. You run your F&B business like some fast food chain, and hire those cheap FTs as employees.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

ya kun has now detached from the original purpose when Ah Kun first started his humble kopi roti business.

hawker centre kopi stalls no marketing , no branding , not enough staff ...ect and how much is normal hawker centre rental ? how to compare ? why dont you compare with starbuck coffee ? ah kun overhead for his biz is high ..you have to understand that .

" ya kun has now detached from the original purpose when Ah Kun first started his humble kopi roti business "

when your biz become good of course you want to make more money ...that is biz and not charity .

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was a non kaya eater till I tasted ah kun...back then it was the in early 90s.....they were at the transit market....it intrigued me the 2 old ladies sold a breakfast item for supper.....with long queue....one taste and I was converted.
Recently tried to relive the taste went to vivo and raffles hospital....still good but miles away from the old taste.
Like sinkieland gone down the drain liao

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Also see many copycats with this winning formula. With clever and extended menu on mee siam and stuff (not that they are any good).

But Wangz and Nanyang toast sucks in comparison, especially in Changi

Last edited:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i ask you , last time rental how much ?

bro, yes rental now more expensive but to charge roti set at $3.50 when coffeeshop selling the same thing at $2 does not make sense. an ah kun franchise will have 4-5 person inside yet still self service while coffeeshop with the same amount of ppl will bring the food to you while seat comfortable waiting for it. what a waste of manpower, only drive up cost.

i never understand why 20yrs ago 2 person operating a stall can cook, serve and clear dishes,clean table and wash the untensils yet now 4-5 person operate a self service food stall and have contractors to clear the plates and centralised washing service. the productivity of a person now was so much lower than 20yrs ago.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
bro, yes rental now more expensive but to charge roti set at $3.50 when coffeeshop selling the same thing at $2 does not make sense. an ah kun franchise will have 4-5 person inside yet still self service while coffeeshop with the same amount of ppl will bring the food to you while seat comfortable waiting for it. what a waste of manpower, only drive up cost.

i never understand why 20yrs ago 2 person operating a stall can cook, serve and clear dishes,clean table and wash the untensils yet now 4-5 person operate a self service food stall and have contractors to clear the plates and centralised washing service. the productivity of a person now was so much lower than 20yrs ago.

bro, lucky plaza have one ah kun shop the rental there is 18k per month ..how many cup of coffee and how many pieces of bread they have to sell just to pay their rent if they were to sell at coffeeshop price ?

" i never understand why 20yrs ago 2 person operating a stall can cook, serve and clear dishes,clean table and wash the untensils yet now 4-5 person operate a self service food stall and have contractors to clear the plates and centralised washing service. the productivity of a person now was so much lower than 20yrs ago "

bro , if you want branding for your company of course you need more staff to create some kind of image .

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

MY neighbourhood kopi tiam charge 80 cents per cup. Not $1.30. And it tastes damn good. So good that I order 2 cups everytime. Soon, their kopi will be Starbucks price.

M

Mdm Tang

I'm surprised that a simple loti kaya meal can sell so well, so much so that another company Toast Box copied Ah Kun's formula and became just as successful with branches all over South East Asia.

Is there something about Ah Kun kaya that attracts you ?

Because Ah Kun doesnt use "Gimmicks" .

Go ask Ah Boon ...

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
food biz is like that ...they start will low price first ..then when customer like their food they will increase the price ..:wink:

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bro, lucky plaza have one ah kun shop the rental there is 18k per month ..how many cup of coffee and how many pieces of bread they have to sell just to pay their rent if they were to sell at coffeeshop price ?
bro , if you want branding for your company of course you need more staff to create some kind of image .

as a consumer, i will only pay what i think is reasonable. i dont give a shit whether the operator pay $18k or 180k a month. That his problem, no mine. if the food only worth $2, i will only pay $2. if he want to charge $3.50 for it, i will move on. it not as if the branding will make the roti or kopi taste any nicer. of course there will be carrot heads available to chop but sorry lor, my name not "Roberthead" lor.:cool:

btw, $18K a month cheap liao. a stall in a coffeeshop in hougang central already cost $7k. A stall lor, not even a shop.

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
as a consumer, i will only pay what i think is reasonable. i dont give a shit whether the operator pay $18k or 180k a month. That his problem, no mine. if the food only worth $2, i will only pay $2. if he want to charge $3.50 for it, i will move on. it not as if the branding will make the roti or kopi taste any nicer. of course there will be carrot heads available to chop but sorry lor, my name not "Roberthead" lor.:cool:

btw, $18K a month cheap liao. a stall in a coffeeshop in hougang central already cost $7k. A stall lor, not even a shop.

bro ..how do you justify how much the food is worth ? for me , i dont mind paying more if the food is good . we only live once just few dollars extra i will give to them . thats why we must work hard and earn more money so that we can enjoy all the finest things in life instead of complaning this one expensive that one expensive ..i dont know about others ..but that is just my thinking .