• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Is the Women’s Charter Unfair to Men?

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
so to summarize..

1. Men can never claim maintenance from ex-wife
2. Ex-wife tends to get custody of children

tbh, i don't give a rat's ass about the name of the charter

some questions unanswered..

1. under what circumstances will ex-wife be denied maintenance?

2. how will the matrimonial assets be divided? according to amount paid?

i think that as long as we're not either divorcees or divorce lawyers, we don't really know about the WC for real, all we rely on is unverifiable hearsay or anecdotal evidence..

so will be glad if any divorce lawyers or divorcees can up and share to benefit the other bros..

In my experience as a lawyer, there are three main reasons that some men think the Women’s Charter puts them at a disadvantage. First there’s the name. Clearly a statute named “The Women’s Charter” must be about protecting women and be for their benefit, no?

Secondly, it’s to do with maintenance.
The Charter provides that only wives may seek maintenance from their husbands, and not the other way around.

Thirdly, there’s the custody debate. Many male divorcees claim (incorrectly, as I will later point out) that the Women’s Charter denies them the right to keep their children, and that because of the Charter, custody battles will almost always end in the mothers’ favour.

While I can understand why people think that the Women’s Charter is anti-male, this is really is a misconception. While some of the provisions are a little out of date, the Women’s Charter is NOT anti-male. The current exercise to update the Charter comes at a good time and we should use this opportunity to remove this misconception.

The Name

Part of the perceived imbalance is that there’s no Men’s Charter. The fact is that the Women’s Charter, passed in 1961, was borne out of a need to protect the rights of women. The regime prior to the Women’s Charter was extremely unfair to women. Men could legally take several wives. Women did not have the right to keep their maiden names and it was not clear if they could even own property. In the historical context, the Women’s Charter was an appropriate name in the ’60s as it provided women with some fundamental rights that women today take for granted but which were not available before the Charter.

However, the content of the Women’s Charter is not just about protecting women and conferring them with one-sided rights. The Charter essentially covers every conceivable aspect of marital and family law, from registration and dissolution of marriages, division of matrimonial assets, to maintenance provisions and the welfare of children.

So, really, the more appropriate name for this Act is the Family Charter.

This is why AWARE has recommended, in its Feedback on the Women’s Charter (Amendment) Bill to the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS) that it should change the name of the Act to the Family Charter. This will go some way towards removing the widely held misconception that the Charter only protects women.

Maintenance

Today, under the Womens’ Charter, only women are entitled to seek maintenance from their spouse. Yes, this does seem somewhat unfair and outmoded since, unlike 50 years ago when the Charter was passed, many women work full-time and there are wives who earn more than their husbands.

AWARE believes that the Women’s Charter should be updated to reflect the changes in society and to promote a more gender neutral approach to marriage. In AWARE’s feedback on the proposed amendments to the Women’s Charter:

“AWARE recommends that the Women’s Charter be amended to provide that in appropriate cases, where it is just and equitable, husbands should have right to seek maintenance from their wives, both during marriage and after the divorce. Examples of such situations include cases where the husband is sick or incapacitated and has been dependent on his wife.”

The emphasis is of course, on “appropriate cases”. In implementing this and in drafting the actual provisions, legislators must be mindful that this change should not be abused to allow irresponsible husbands who have not pulled their weight either at work or at home to make use of the ammended provision to get maintenance for themselves – which was the concern raised by some family lawyers. After all, there are far fewer househusbands than housewives in Singapore today. Furthermore, it is rare to find cases where husbands have been so disadvantaged by their family arrangements that they cannot maintain themselves in a divorce.

Child Custody

As for the contentious issue of child custody, care and control, the Women’s Charter currently states very simply that the paramount consideration in determining custody of the child is “the welfare of the child”. In a society where women are, in the majority of cases, the main caregiver of the child, the Court will often take the view that “the welfare of the child” demands that custody be awarded to the mother. There may be some gender stereotyping at play, but the Women’s Charter is not to blame, wrongly defined gender roles are.

Equal Partnership

One of my favourite provisions in the Women’s Charter is Section 46. This states that “the husband and the wife shall be mutually bound to co-operate with each other in safeguarding the interests of the union and in caring and providing for the children” and that “the husband and the wife shall have equal rights in the running of the matrimonial household”.

Certainly, there’s no unfairness or biasness here. The Charter was well ahead of its time in supporting gender equality in the household. I look forward to the update of the Charter and hope that the Charter will be revised so that it is as progressive today as it was when it was first enacted.

Corinna Lim is AWARE’s Executive Director and before that practised law for more than 10 years. She played an integral role in the AWARE sub-committee providing feedback on the Women’s Charter (Ammendment) Bill.

http://www.aware.org.sg/2010/11/womens-charter-unfair-to-men/

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i recall the former MCYS minister categorically said in parliment that there is currently no plan to review the Woman's Charter becos the family unit has not changed - meaning its still a male-dominated family unit - something along this line.

so, woman's charter, family charter WTF, its the same thing.

the sore point is definitely the maintenance - in today's context, there shld be allowance to enable the man to claim maintenance from ex-wife (or alimony) - this shld not be confused with maintenance for bringing up the child.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Women's Charter is rather wide, actually. The bigger problem is the judges who use the Women's Charter to make all kinds of silly verdicts.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And the opinions of a feminazi cunt from AWARE counts for... what exactly?

Just don't get married and the Femily Court won't have any power over you.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i recall the former MCYS minister categorically said in parliment that there is currently no plan to review the Woman's Charter becos the family unit has not changed - meaning its still a male-dominated family unit - something along this line.

so, woman's charter, family charter WTF, its the same thing.

the sore point is definitely the maintenance - in today's context, there shld be allowance to enable the man to claim maintenance from ex-wife (or alimony) - this shld not be confused with maintenance for bringing up the child.
Not in today's context anymore..now it's the Queens who are the domineering ones.Married men
shouLd know what's that 'Queen's controL' means..:wink::eek:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not in today's context anymore..now it's the Queens who are the domineering ones.Married men
shouLd know what's that 'Queen's controL' means..:wink::eek:

Many married men are pussy whipped.

Even those so-called high-earning 'Alpha' men.

I once got acquainted with such a man. He's filthy rich. He had to ask his wife for permission to go on a golfing trip.
What a pussy! :rolleyes:

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Many married men are pussy whipped.

Even those so-called high-earning 'Alpha' men.

I once got acquainted with such a man. He's filthy rich. He had to ask his wife for permission to go on a golfing trip.

It's so common to be asking for permission from the Queen nowadays..however, when they are going out on their
on accord; they wouLd just either text you, or teLL you wryLy in the face ; she's having dinner out ..:cool::rolleyes:

jw5

Loyal

Perhaps she got worried when she heard that there were 18 holes where he was going.........................

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i heard part of a commercial of sorts on the radio now.....
Some bitch talking about the law and pre-nup.....and said something like you cannot win a woman in singapore

jw5

Loyal
Some bitch talking about the law and pre-nup.....and said something like you cannot win a woman in singapore

It will get really interesting when more sinkie women start hooking up with prc and indian nationals.
I have been predicting this phenomena for the last 10 years arready.
Get ready the pop corn and potato chips!

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah Lau eh,,,we all know that since the beginning of TIme,,,fucking LKY was hen pecked so he had to take it out on Sinkies,,and we allowed it for soo long,,,

FUCK PAP,,,and the 60%

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
So if the man is a house husband and the woman is the one working.

She was caught cheating and the man want to divorce. He still need to pay her for the kid and her maintenance?

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So if the man is a house husband and the woman is the one working.

She was caught cheating and the man want to divorce. He still need to pay her for the kid and her maintenance?

Doesn't matter. Child support you definitely have to pay.
Even if she cheats, it's YOUR FAULT for neglecting her. YOU made her do it. YOU abused her. She sheds a few tears in front of the judge. Who do you think the judge will side with?

Singapore Alimony Laws
http://www.ehow.com/list_6806450_singapore-alimony-laws.html

As the law stands at July 2010, alimony, known as maintenance under Singaporean law, is only awarded to a wife or ex-wife, not to a husband or ex-husband, and is awarded at the sole discretion of the Singaporean court.

A wife or ex-wife may apply for alimony at any time during the course of a marriage, separation or divorce proceedings by applying to the court. Active divorce proceedings are not required.

The period for alimony payments usually lasts until the wife or ex-wife either dies or remarries.
So if your ex-wife never remarries, or has a new boyfriend but never legally married him, YOU, the ex-husband, are screwed.

That's why I keep emphasizing: don't get married at all. The laws are rigged against you. Don't create more troubles for yourself.

rom1.jpg

Please turn back while you still can.

Soul_Reaper

Alfrescian
Loyal

I heard the same too...... some women lawyers promoting the new book by AWARE........ I think the book is titled You & The Law or something like that.

F*CK THE WOMENS CHARTER ! ! !

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Women charter is the worst LKY come with.
Why mostly women get the custody of the child. Let the children choose and who can provide for children better future.
Why must pay women maintenance? Women have hand and leg can work also. Unless handicap.