• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Interesting People You Met During National Service

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, I think around Dec 1974. Now I remember Sin Boon Wah, I think he got promoted to MG and he later moved to Govt related company buying arms for the SAF, and he later made headlines someone tried to bribe him in favour of arm sales.

I left SG in 1981, and therefore, unable to recall whether Sin was promoted to MG. I did read about him moving to a GLC, and the alleged bribe which he declined and reported to the authorities. But I do recall Boey was a BG (who was a CPT, and the Brigade S3 when I was a 2LT at HQ 2 SIB), and then moved to Singapore Power, and thereafter to MRT.

I did hear rumours that Boey was the Chief of Army, and was considered to be the next CDS, and declined, which made way for Ng Jui Peng (1st batch OCS) to be CDS.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I did hear rumours that Boey was the Chief of Army, and was considered to be the next CDS, and declined, which made way for Ng Jui Peng (1st batch OCS) to be CDS.

it's ng jui ping. he's promoted to lg, but lost his shirt in an aussie real estate development. had to bailed out by parliament.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Only 20 batches of OCS. 20th batch OCS was in progress when cadets were started 1 SMC (those who finished Pre-U 2 in 1974).
I am unable to recall when he went to OCS, but believe that he was the first batch of SAF Overseas Scholars (with Boey Tak Hap, Sin Boon Hwa, a 2 others).
Other 2 was Lai Seck Khui now times publishing CEO, the other was Lui Tuan Kei...think he migrated

Lee5604

Alfrescian
Loyal
Charlie99

Can you remember the ROC training during the Senior Term?

A small test for you: who visited us at the ROC base?

A Minister of State for Defence
B Perm Sec of Defence
C Lee Kuan Yew
D CGS MG Winston Choo
E None of the above

Last edited:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Charlie99

B Perm Sec of Defence
C Lee Kuan Yew
D CGS MG Winston Choo
E None of the above

OT but why did we stop training in Taiwan and do we still have weapons there?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Charlie99

B Perm Sec of Defence
C Lee Kuan Yew
D CGS MG Winston Choo
E None of the above

Unable to remember.

Borat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Clue: The person is of very high profile.

Can never forget my ROC training, cos CPT Neo Lam Tong (OC A Coy, my OC then) made us do area cleaning and Passing Out parade rehearsals in the dusty and dirty base camp.

A very hardworking officer who never shirks his responsibilities but also a very kind person. He was one of the best leaders you would want under his command in times of war.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Clue: The person is of very high profile.

Can never forget my ROC training, cos CPT Neo Lam Tong (OC A Coy, my OC then) made us do area cleaning and Passing Out parade rehearsals in the dusty and dirty base camp.

Just a guess: Winston Choo?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You ask a very dangerous question.....

You want the ISD to visit me at 3 am and bring me to lim kopi is it?

Not ISD, which deals with internal security, but may SID (Security and Intelligence, MINDEF).

Not much of a secret any more.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You know what was the tactical doctrine for the centurions?
In the event of a war, they would be taken out of dryclad, ship home on LSTs and provide artillery fire from the sea.
Wonder which smart aleck paper general came up with this joke.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know what was the tactical doctrine for the centurions?
In the event of a war, they would be taken out of dryclad, ship home on LSTs and provide artillery fire from the sea.
Wonder which smart aleck paper general came up with this joke.

Dumb General. Would the Taiwanese not even impound them first?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
What? Rifle PT is banned? That's news to me. what about log PT? What about knuckle pushup during TKD warmup on parade ground heated to 35 degrees by the sun? Is that banned too?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The worse person I ever met in NS was a master sergeant in School of Armour. He was stuck at the rank because of alot of cock ups in the past. This person was a complete asshole who mentally abused all his subordinates, UNLESS you gave him something good in return. The few months under him was hell. Luckily, SAF had a change of plan. That time, they started a scheme to promote all these shit Master Sergeants to Warrant Officers. That asshole gladly took up the offer and was transfered out of SOA. I can still remember his name!

Was he trained by the israelis? maybe I know him too. SOA is 80% populated by pyscho instructors. The old school ones trained by the IDF are really mentally unstable after they came back from Israel. SOme are also thrill seekers, go and get jump wings, rangers batch, etc. just for the fun of it. I think they all breath in too much exhaust fumes, and the brain got oxygen starved. Having said that, I would gladly go to war with any of these fuckers. They are tactically very good, and know their tank inside out.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Yes, there was a CPL Lee Kuan Yew in School of Armour during the late 1979 and early 1980s! Maybe, later he got promoted.

But I didn't know that he had a mental problem!

When Lee Hsien Yang, (then LTA , later CPT) was posted to Sch of Armour, first as a trainee and later remained as an instructor in AOB, within earshot of Lee Hsien Yang, when CPL Lee Kuan Yew was around, his colleagues would yell "Fucking Lee Kuan Yew!"

Yes, later Hsien yang was CO 46 SAR with Major rank. I doubt this Lee kuan yew story, its because even as trainee and up to 46 SAR CO, Hsien Yang was never alone. ALways got people shadow him like bodyguards and other officers who have been told throw themselves in front of any would be assasin bullets to save the clown prince.
If someone within his earshot shouted fucking lee kuan yew, the other officers around him would look for the guy and it will be either db or extra for him, for sure.