• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How Small Can A PC Be

Wildfire

Alfrescian
Loyal
4 x 4 inches, according to Intel!

Available for around $300 in early December. Intel's Next Unit of Computing (NUC) is just about ready for store shelves, and
Anandtech managed to get their hands on the DC3217BY model to provide us an early inside look at the mini-PC. Clearly aimed
at enthusiasts, the motherboard and 4 x 4-inch chassis are all you get out of the box; you'll have to get the memory, the mini
PCIe cards and even the power cord separately. Luckily installation looks quite easy -- only four screws hold the chassis and
motherboard together.

If you're considering getting one for yourself, I recommend taking a peek at the source to get a more intimate look.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6444/intels-next-unit-of-computing-hands-on

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Main reason moi still keeping moi desktop is gaming...dis doesn't look powerful enuff for serious gaming leh...but de size is realli small...jus slightly bigger then a portable HD...

ddee7ac6-02bf-46b3-a839-da5f1787a4ce.jpg

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
not cheap leh since you need to add so many other things............no DVD-ROM, right ?

sure got overheating problems.........using what kind of harddisk leh ?

300 bucks....USD or SGD ?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
not cheap leh since you need to add so many other things............no DVD-ROM, right ?

sure got overheating problems.........using what kind of harddisk leh ?

300 bucks....USD or SGD ?

I still remember that when Apple introduced their G4 Cube, it had problems with heat.
However it did looked very nice, just not practical. :o

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I still remember that when Apple introduced their G4 Cube, it had problems with heat.
However it did looked very nice, just not practical. :o

not suitable for our climate lah................no vents or heatsink meh ?

newer cpu use less power so where the heat come from ?

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Ah God...so small dun think it's possible to include a rom drive...not realli a bad thing lah...can choose which BR/DVD drive to buy since not all rom drive are build equal...

blackreplica

Alfrescian
Loyal
A slightly underclocked i5 processor with SSD storage. For day to day use this thing will be mighty fast, almost on par with regular desktops, in some cases faster even (comparing to desktops with traditional HDDs). Plus probably super low heat dissipation and therefore power consumption

It's impressive

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
not suitable for our climate lah................no vents or heatsink meh ?

newer cpu use less power so where the heat come from ?

Need a good design & even in Apple's case, the G4 Cube was ahead of its time when it was introduced in the 1990's. I remember there were problems with heat, cracking of the case,...

Apple has put alot of their design expertise into the current Mac mini systems, the units utilise laptop HDD & CPU which produce less heat... they have also omitted a hot DVD drive.

It is of course easier nowadays with the advent of low powered(low heat) components.
Heat will always exist in electronics, just talk to any tablet & smart phone users.

I had a mini ATX(a Silverstone SG-01case) running an Intel duo. It was the only PC I ever owned that broke down in under 2 years. I suspect it was due to the heat in such as small case. Just don't expect fantastic performance in a small package & don't expect it to run forever because the heat will eventually kill the machine.