• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How Gahmen's disastrous communications skills elevated citizens' confusion

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Lesson 1: People desire precise real time information.

There is a great amount of confusion over the different indicators that NEA has provided over the past week. There is the 3 hourly average PSI reading, 24 hour average PSI reading, and the PM2.5 reading, along with all their associated health advisories. In a bid to obtain hourly readings, many people have resorted to constructing their own excel sheets and graphs (such as this), second guessing what exactly are the hourly inputs that NEA uses.

The ministers themselves did not help their own cause when Min(MEWR) Vivian Balakrishnan (VVB) held a press conference and said something to the effect of “we should not be fixated on the numbers”, and when Grace Fu said that the 24 hour PSI reading is a better gauge of the haze’s health impact. Bloggers like TheHeartTruths also disputed VVB’s message, saying that other countries published hourly readings. This prompted a clarification by MEWR.

The problem is that all this is unnecessary and confusing. While NEA and MEWR were concerned about getting the correct readings to gauge the impact on people’s health, many people were primarily concerned about getting the best precise real time reading to decide on their course of action for themselves and for their families. Should I still honor that appointment in the next one hour? Should I bring my mask? Should I go swimming? Is it OK to go to the neighbourhood wet market to shop in the morning? The government and the people were basically not talking to each other. One yelled “I want hourly readings to know what to do!” while another just stuck with “24hour readings are best measures of health impact.”

Lesson 2: Political leaders need to be leaders.

In times of crisis, groups look up to their leaders for precise “big” priorities and swift “big” action. Min(MEWR) VVB’s first press conference on Wednesday night at 2330hrs missed that opportunity. He said that “we will have to make adjustments to our daily routines.” You don’t really have to tell us that you know. In that press conference, NEA and MEWR also provided detailed health advisories. But health advisories are very crude announcements at best. What are the consequences if an individual doesn’t follow the “advice”? What about companies? What about outdoor workers?

The next day, PM Lee Hsien Loong (LHL) held a press conference in the afternoon. Although he mentioned that “My priority is to protect the health and safety of Singaporeans, especially vulnerable groups.” which is great, he further confused his message when he went on to say that “we must carry on with our daily lives” and that any response to stop work must be flexible and “calibrated”. This is confusing because it appears that the principles of “flexibility” and “carry on with our daily lives” over-rode the paramount priority of “health and safety of Singaporeans” (and not forgetting the foreign workers too).

So if protecting “the health and safety of Singaporeans” was his priority, what action did he implement? He set up a committee. >_<||| Leaders don’t set up committees in times of crisis. Leaders give direction and orders. Setting up committees signals that you are delegating and shifting responsibility. OK, so they also announced that a whole range of Singaporeans can see their general practitioners and pay only $10 if they have haze-related health problems. That is awesome but is reactive rather than proactive. You want to get people to get masks to prevent themselves from falling sick, rather than let people fall sick and then subsidize their medical costs. How much productivity would have been wasted by then?

Lesson 3: Distribution matters more than supply.

On Thursday, after PM Lee held his press conference and when MOH first reassured the public that there were 9 million N95 masks in stock, it appeared that things were really problematic. I decided to head to Tampines Central to buy N95 masks on Friday morning. All the Guardian, Watsons, Unity outlets had no N95 masks. I ended up buying those flimsy surgical masks instead. I asked my mother, who works very near SGH if the SGH pharmacy had N95 masks, she said that they also had no stock. On Saturday morning, when I went to Khoo Teck Puat hospital pharmacy to buy N95 masks, they also had no stock. It was only until Sunday that most people who wanted N95 masks could get one, and when the low income households were distributed N95 masks by the army and grassroots volunteers. 3 days. In a crisis, (and for a supposedly decisive and effective government), not good enough.

Not only was the response slow, retailers also took the opportunity to raise prices on Thursday and Friday. A box of 20 N95 masks was retailing at around $75 at Watsons. Only on Sunday did Min(MEWR) VVB come out to “urge” retailers not to profit from selling masks. CASE also released a statement. Do you think these statements will work? Will retailers suddenly find their conscience after reading a statement? How much money was “lost” to these retailers? Leaders don’t “urge” in times of crisis. Leaders dictate swift action to fulfill priorities. None of that was forthcoming.
Conclusion

Leaders don’t stand on boxes with a loud hailer.

Enjoy this picture and contribute your caption:

- http://ayummysliceoflife.wordpress.com/2013/06/24/3-preliminary-lessons-from-the-great-haze-of-2013/

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The world today produces enough grain alone to provide every human being on the planet with 3,500 calories a day.1 That’s enough to make most people fat! So why are there people dying from starvation?

There is enough money in Singapore to make everyone live with dignity and yet Singapore is not in debt? Why so many poor? But we do have one large one fat insect queen called Leegime. Squish that grub and there will be honey for all and still enough for many rainy days.

Understand?

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
The haze crisis exposed the incompetency,impotence,stupidity and greediness of the PAP.
The PAP controls all the wealth and resources and they don't know what to do ???
The PAP say they have stockpile of 1.0 million N95 masks but many citizens could not buy them even at market price as they are not available in the pharmacies.
The PAP should have given FREE MASKS TO ALL CITIZENS instead of profiteering from the worried citizens.
KNNCCB tot he PAP !!!!!!!!!

lee6100

Alfrescian
Loyal
stock-illustration-4796726-thumbs-up-icon.jpg

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Lesson 4:
Citizens must be ball-less and throw out any useless leaders and should not be a sinkie dumbfuck to vote someone who screwed their ass daily.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Janadas Devan was appointed Chief Communications Officer for the gahmen. He may have been a very good writer but unfortunately, the art of marketing communications is a totally different world and need a very different set of skill sets.

At the bottom of it all, the basic problem is that the fumbling of the entire episode (and we have quite a few more episodes!) reflects the terrrible lack of depth of the entire cabinet. Everyone is running around like headless chickens, make contradictory and defensive statements.

Hence the committees here and there - there are now real smoke screens to hide their incompetence behind.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
SOP 101 - when there's a problem/issue, setup a committee.
I have no problem with a committee, or crisis mgt team. After all, no single person knows everything.

What I find is lacking is the poor distribution of n95 masks, which should have been a fixed price item across all shops. These are Singapore reserves of essential equipment, and ought to be controlled item from day one of haze problem.

The deliberate muddling on hourly psi, and pm2.5 further adds to the mistrust and confusion, which is very bad in a crisis mgt. people want credible and decisive leadership, not monkeying around with figures.

The crisis team led by hen is extremely unimaginative and seem to lack understanding of resources on hand. They should have designated community centers for poor families to seek temporary overnight refuge from the haze, instead of leaving them to survive in their non air con flats.

I think it is very clear that the haze mgt committee failed the country. They were lucky that the wind direction changed, otherwise the situation may have turned really ugly.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From Day One, they were caught totally off guard. There was not one key player who would have been the chief spokesperson. It does not seem a very united cabinet to me, possibly due to overall leadership from the very top.

The Health Minister did not make an appearance until very late in the game. There were no explanations to explain his absence; possibly he was away on holiday and the gahmen was keen to avoid another attack ala Desmond Kuek, who stuck to his holiday plans when the first strike in decades happened, and he was barely two months into the job.

The junior ministers in Health were totally out of depth with real life situations, and made comments which any half-literate auntie in the Toa Payoh market would have made, and made no impressions/impact whatsoever. Amy Khor and Grace Fu were ridiculing themselves silly with their reduntant and obvious motherhood statements that they might as well stayed home and avoid the haze altogether.

Shanmuggam was disgusted with citizens' reaction to their best efforts and decided to whine and rant; crudely put, he was politicising to the extent of going after one Mr Sin who made some undesirable comments on his FB. To add cream to the whole thing, he demanded that we gave suggestions instead of pouring cold water on the govt's efforts. Citizens, not surprisingly, with incredulously disgust/puzzlement. The millions in salary aside, the cabinet had the resources of the entire civil service, and excuse me, WE are to give suggestions? No problem, except that if the NatCon was any indication, they will only want to hear what they want to hear.

His moaning about the ratification took the cake. If he had provided a log of the various occasions that the govt had tried to bring the matter to the attention of the Indon govt, all would have been forgiven. But no, he pointed the fingers across the Sumatra Strait and pronounced grandly that it was the Indons' fault. This has been happening since 1994 and each year, we go through the motion.

So, we now have an case of one missing Health minister, one Foreign Minister jumping in - but nothing so far, on how to solve citizens' problems. 100% for noise generation but 0% for problem solving.

Then of course we have the he-who-said-that-dengue-was-a-self-inflicted disease Env minister Vivian. His cock-ups are well documented elsewhere in this thread so we shall not belabour the point. In keeping with his insensitive nature, he made remarks from the same script writer that Amy Khor and Grace Fu were mouthing from. Fatherhood statements all over; for goodness sake, what was he doing in anticipation of the haze? Went to inspect hawker centres' cleanliness, and picking up a fight with WP and making slurs about Pritam Singh being a liar. Such pettiness is nothing but a self-inflicted insult of one's own character.

And when all else seems lost, in step Bargain Hen to cluck around the pits to put the pieces together. Result? A press conference in which Vivian and Gan Yong Kim seated on both sides of him, looking forlorn, having been chewed up by Mother Hen for having been running around like headless chickens.

And a committe was born. It is a national disgrace that layers upon layers of ministers are involved in something called the haze, which has been floating around for nearly 20 years, and not once every 50 years. We now have a Defence Minister leading the charge, not the Health nor the Environment Minister. Their bloated salaries? That's another story for another time.

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
From Day One, they were caught totally off guard. There was not one key player who would have been the chief spokesperson. It does not seem a very united cabinet to me, possibly due to overall leadership from the very top.

The Health Minister did not make an appearance until very late in the game. There were no explanations to explain his absence; possibly he was away on holiday and the gahmen was keen to avoid another attack ala Desmond Kuek, who stuck to his holiday plans when the first strike in decades happened, and he was barely two months into the job.

The junior ministers in Health were totally out of depth with real life situations, and made comments which any half-literate auntie in the Toa Payoh market would have made, and made no impressions/impact whatsoever. Amy Khor and Grace Fu were ridiculing themselves silly with their reduntant and obvious motherhood statements that they might as well stayed home and avoid the haze altogether.

Shanmuggam was disgusted with citizens' reaction to their best efforts and decided to whine and rant; crudely put, he was politicising to the extent of going after one Mr Sin who made some undesirable comments on his FB. To add cream to the whole thing, he demanded that we gave suggestions instead of pouring cold water on the govt's efforts. Citizens, not surprisingly, with incredulously disgust/puzzlement. The millions in salary aside, the cabinet had the resources of the entire civil service, and excuse me, WE are to give suggestions? No problem, except that if the NatCon was any indication, they will only want to hear what they want to hear.

His moaning about the ratification took the cake. If he had provided a log of the various occasions that the govt had tried to bring the matter to the attention of the Indon govt, all would have been forgiven. But no, he pointed the fingers across the Sumatra Strait and pronounced grandly that it was the Indons' fault. This has been happening since 1994 and each year, we go through the motion.

So, we now have an case of one missing Health minister, one Foreign Minister jumping in - but nothing so far, on how to solve citizens' problems. 100% for noise generation but 0% for problem solving.

Then of course we have the he-who-said-that-dengue-was-a-self-inflicted disease Env minister Vivian. His cock-ups are well documented elsewhere in this thread so we shall not belabour the point. In keeping with his insensitive nature, he made remarks from the same script writer that Amy Khor and Grace Fu were mouthing from. Fatherhood statements all over; for goodness sake, what was he doing in anticipation of the haze? Went to inspect hawker centres' cleanliness, and picking up a fight with WP and making slurs about Pritam Singh being a liar. Such pettiness is nothing but a self-inflicted insult of one's own character.

And when all else seems lost, in step Bargain Hen to cluck around the pits to put the pieces together. Result? A press conference in which Vivian and Gan Yong Kim seated on both sides of him, looking forlorn, having been chewed up by Mother Hen for having been running around like headless chickens.

And a committe was born. It is a national disgrace that layers upon layers of ministers are involved in something called the haze, which has been floating around for nearly 20 years, and not once every 50 years. We now have a Defence Minister leading the charge, not the Health nor the Environment Minister. Their bloated salaries? That's another story for another time.

In short.....what a sorry bunch of overpaid incompetent cunts we have s ministers....the people's millions are clearly wasted on these useless dogs....

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With the Dengue outbreak plus the Haze problem, we are now exposed to a government that look like "a couple of over indulged diners who had too much to eat & drink", they are now staggering around, trying to make sense of their surroundings.

We need, decisive, level headed no nonsense leaders that act, fast, for the citizens lives are at stake...don't mind me saying so, we miss Lee Kuan Yew to manage situations like these...I am sure, much more things would have been done quickly & decisively.

We need fresh 'blood' not people who are good only in their paper qualifications.....:p

Last edited:

wMulew

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dumb fuck opposition supporting retards. There is nothing wrong with the communication from the government. It's the retarded anti government sites you idiots have been reading that is doing their best to put the government in a bad light by posting articles that contradicts the government's statement

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With the Dengue outbreak plus the Haze problem, we are now exposed to a government that look like "a couple of over indulged diners who had too much to eat & drink", they are now staggering around, trying to make sense of their surroundings.

We need, decisive, level headed no nonsense leaders that act, fast, for the citizens lives are at stake...don't mind me saying so, we miss Lee Kuan Yew to manage situations like these...I am sure, much more things would have been done quickly & decisively.

We need fresh 'blood' not people who are good only in their paper qualifications.....:p

What could be the different outcome if we were to compare this haze crisis is being handle by:
1) Old fart
2) Woodie Goh
3) Pinky

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Stinkapore got no fucking gabrament.
Stinkapore got a fucking illegitimate regime screwing and fucking sinkies of as much money as they can.
PAP regime good only for telling outright lies and half truths and blatant lies

VOTE ALL THOSE BASTARDS PAP OUT OUT OUT IN 2016

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very good thread with well thought out responses.

Hope the contents gets circulated widely...... FaceBook etc.....

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have no problem with a committee, or crisis mgt team. After all, no single person knows everything.

What I find is lacking is the poor distribution of n95 masks, which should have been a fixed price item across all shops. These are Singapore reserves of essential equipment, and ought to be controlled item from day one of haze problem.

The deliberate muddling on hourly psi, and pm2.5 further adds to the mistrust and confusion, which is very bad in a crisis mgt. people want credible and decisive leadership, not monkeying around with figures.

The crisis team led by hen is extremely unimaginative and seem to lack understanding of resources on hand. They should have designated community centers for poor families to seek temporary overnight refuge from the haze, instead of leaving them to survive in their non air con flats.

I think it is very clear that the haze mgt committee failed the country. They were lucky that the wind direction changed, otherwise the situation may have turned really ugly.

IF they had a crisis mgt team:confused: I doubt they have one in place because a 2IC could easily be put in charge of implementing such a plan if there was a disaster plan, if the MPs were away.
Makes one wonder what the PAP really have in place to deal with real disasters:confused:

Anyone still remember the millions of $$$$$$ spent on bomb shelters? What happened to these bomb shelters:wink:

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
You know why everything need a committee?

Because to find space for all the truck load of paper scholars to rise, they have to keep creating departments and organisations to create director posts. Then these nah mah directors all dont want to step up so need committee to disseminate all the work.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What could be the different outcome if we were to compare this haze crisis is being handle by:
1) Old fart
2) Woodie Goh
3) Pinky

Old Fart would done a better job, he would have taken the Indonesians to task, maybe, arrange to meet at the "cul de sac"..Woodie Goh, would be all "smoke & no fire" & the problem would have got dense...Pinky...I do not know what to say...he got so many army guys with him...I do not know what to say??

Last edited:

Dark Knight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IF they had a crisis mgt team:confused: I doubt they have one in place because a 2IC could easily be put in charge of implementing such a plan if there was a disaster plan, if the MPs were away.
Makes one wonder what the PAP really have in place to deal with real disasters:confused:

Anyone still remember the millions of $$$$$$ spent on bomb shelters? What happened to these bomb shelters:wink:

I doubt Sillypore gahbrament have a crisis mgt team.
That Pinky together with the health minister and should be working closely with the civil defense force to salvage the situation.

In fact our civil defense force should be the one suppose to hand all the crisis since they got the hardware to do so.
They can always tap on our arm forces, police force, hospital and clinics for support if necessary.
Sad to say that in this haze crisis, all these top paying civil servants doesn't knows what to do.
It makes us lost confidence in them to even handle basic life and death issue.

Most of the bomb shelters has been rented out by the Sillypore gahbrament to churn out $$$$$ for their own pockets.

Last edited: