• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hougang Spring - Demise of the PAP

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
What the MSM will never tell you.

"Yee Jenn Jong

A personal journey through Hougang

http://www.facebook.com/yeejj.wp

Hougang first captured my imagination in 1991 when it unexpectedly rejected the incumbent MP, Tang Guan Seng and voted in Low Thia Khiang. I was watching the results on television and had not anticipated anything to come out of the Hougang contest as there were other more publicised fights. I was then fresh out of university and beginning my long journey of political awakening.

Hougang returned Low Thia Khiang as MP again in 1997 and 2001, despite the now infamous strategy of linking votes to PAP with estate upgrading. The upgrading carrot grew bigger in 2006. Even as a politically neutral Singaporean then, I could not stand such unfair behaviour and wrote a critical piece to The Straits Times Forum. I was relieved when both Hougang and Potong Pasir rejected the upgrading carrot. I detest unfair fights.

Such bravery was abstract to me then, as I did not live in either constituencies. I cheered them from a distance. I shared emotional links with these two constituencies, pride that there were defiant groups that dared stand up to the mighty ruling party and pride that Singapore had people-centred opposition MPs that held the hearts of the residents despite intense and unfair competition. It was hard then to feel as Hougangers do, because I did not live there nor participated in the hustlings.
Going through GE2011 as a newcomer, I was caught up with my own campaign in Joo Chiat SMC. It wasn’t until By-Election 2012 that I felt the Hougang spirit strongly. The crowd were fantastic at the rallies, vociferously cheering us in our speeches as they did in GE2011. The people were very friendly during our house visits. However, it was the heavy downpour during the rally night of 22 May that made me realised the sterner stuff they were made of. Those who had no umbrella stayed on, even the old and the frail would not move. People were sharing umbrellas, plastic sheets, newpapers and cardboards with one another, even with strangers to use these to shield off the relentless rain.

Unmoved Hougang by-election rally supporters, 22 May 2012 (picture from Royston Tan’s FB post)

The celebrations in Hougang were spontaneous when the result was announced at around 10:30 pm. Hundreds or even a thousand had gathered around each of the popular coffeeshops in Hougang. The people celebrated the announcement as if we had just won the World Cup.

A fervent supporter (photo from: https://www.facebook.com/#!/limzhilikyle)

The Thank You parade was yet a different and immersive experience. We started off in the cluster of flats around block 701. A good crowd had already gathered and chatted with us before we set off. At each block, people would come out to the windows and corridors and waved to us. Some waved blue flags, blue umbrellas, inflatable hammers and even real hammers. Some shouted “Workers’ Party” or “Huat ah!” from the windows. A primary 5 boy from Punggol Primary who had earlier had his photo taken with each of the MP / NCMPs followed our pick-up to all the different blocks to cheer us at every turn. He must have trailed us for at least 30 minutes.

Cheering from windows of flats at every block

At every traffic junction, there were loud horning, waving from wound down car windows and the occasional cheer. At one traffic junction, a man pulled beside us and chatted with Low Thia Khiang like old friends. A possession of cars sometimes followed us, happily honking away.

Chatting like old friends at a traffic junction

The mourners at a wake along Avenue 7 were amazing. They heard us from afar, rushed out and started cheering for us. As our pick-up drove past, one came forward and shook hands with us. I could not imagine that even in their mourning, they would pause to cheer for us.

Mourner shaking hands with us while the others cheered for us

At several clusters, people had heard we were coming and had gathered. The first major crowd was at Block 309/310 where several hundred people came forward, shook hands, cheered and several asked for autographs on umbrellas and flags.

Crowd at Block 309 and 310

Autographing umbrellas and flags

The most unforgetable moment was along Avenue 5, outside block 322. A crowd of several hundreds, maybe a thousand had gathered, waiting patiently for us. As we approached, they poured onto the road, oblivious of traffic around them. We stopped and celebrated with them. The people were so reluctant to leave. Volunteers had to steer them out of the traffic’s harm while we inched our way out of the area.

Crowd along Avenue 5. Click to watch video (http://youtu.be/DbsouZPDOSU)

A possession of cars following us

We continued through to every turn and corner in Hougang SMC, into dead end lanes and tiny carparks, and into every public and private housing area. At every turn, residents would come out to greet us. Low Thia Khiang would occasionally call out a resident by name. By 3:30 pm, we were done for the day.
The Thank You parade left me with lasting memories. The type of warm and spontaneous support was simply unimaginable. The cheering, clapping, singing and even dancing came from their hearts. The parade completed my journey through Hougang. What started for me in 1991 as a distant spectator of the fight for democracy has now become a part of me. I had experienced first hand their long and determined fight to keep alight the fragile flame for a fairer democracy despite huge disadvantages stacked against them. I am now a participant in this fight.
After the WP victory, The Straits Times commented, “Hougang speaks, but for itself”. Does Hougang speak only for itself? In 1991, perhaps so, then along with 3 other constituencies. The crowd at the rally did not come from just Hougang. It could not be. The crowd on the last rally night would have equalled the total number of voters in Hougang. No, they came from afar to cheer Hougang voters on.

Hougang perhaps spoke ahead of its time. It was so in 1991. Then, it spoke to me to plant the seed of political awakening in me. Its flame eventually spread to Aljunied GRC in 2011. In 2011, I witnessed an outpouring of support for the opposition that I could not have imagined in 1991. From the man in the streets, to vocal voices in the cyberworld, to professionals, businessmen and even civil servants, the fear factor and political apathy appear to have been broken. Perhaps in 2012, Hougang is again speaking, ahead of its time for all Singapore. It is perhaps speaking ahead of its time for a more inclusive political landscape and a more inclusive society. Thank you, Hougang.

An open display of support for WP in an office"

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder if members of the cabinet and their families have wondered what has gone wrong. They are are all well educated, intelligent and have seen the world.

I am sure they know that without the MSM, PA and NTUC, they would not see a busload of supporters. Do their sons and daughters ever wonder the shame might not cover all the wealth that their fathers have garnered over their political careers.

I am surebmostnof usvwould be embarrassed.

lee6100

Alfrescian
Loyal
I wonder if members of the cabinet and their families have wondered what has gone wrong. They are are all well educated, intelligent and have seen the world.

I am sure they know that without the MSM, PA and NTUC, they would not see a busload of supporters. Do their sons and daughters ever wonder the shame might not cover all the wealth that their fathers have garnered over their political careers.

I am surebmostnof usvwould be embarrassed.

They live in a world of their own, detached and unaffected by the daily grind which most ordinary Singaporean face. The country is governed like SIA. Only the First Class passengers matter.

cunnilaubu

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What the MSM will never tell you.
"Yee Jenn Jong

An open display of support for WP in an office"

I would like to work in this office.:smile::smile::smile:

Without MSM, PA and NTUC, PAP would probably have become an opposition party now.

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Hougang Spring signals a new awakening. The PAP can do all they want -GRC, dangling carrots, upgrading, threats, suits, etc... nothing will turn the tide against them.

People are now awakened. Wising up to their dirty tricks. Apologies without sincerity. Smiling thru their teeth. Recognise the divide and rule tactics they employed. A monster which would not change for the better!

Out with PAP!

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tang Guan Seng lost was due to their mentality of a 'branded' party, proud, arrogant & we can 'do no wrong', 'we can do magic'. The loss of Hougang then was a shocker!. Ask any old HG residents, what Tang Guan Seng had done for the constitunecy?? one will get a very clear picture. Why they carried on voting for the WP, times have changed, people are well read, well travelled, well informed, the threathen me, threathen you thing; won't work. Nor, the upgrading, you don't vote for me, we won't upgrade. Whose money is being used to upgrade?, who is the landlord of the homes they live in & the surroundings.

But, even with the current By-Elections, the 'leopard' had not changed 'its spots'...so what DC shows a friendly, caring face. Once you vote him in, the 'same spots' will emerge. Does the people, want that?!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Succint and accurate. I like the last 2 sentence. That says it all in a nutshell. I am going to use that as an analogy. I suppose the FTs are in Business Class and Singaporeans are in economy or cattle class.

They live in a world of their own, detached and unaffected by the daily grind which most ordinary Singaporean face. The country is governed like SIA. Only the First Class passengers matter.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said bro.

This Hougang Spring signals a new awakening. The PAP can do all they want -GRC, dangling carrots, upgrading, threats, suits, etc... nothing will turn the tide against them.

People are now awakened. Wising up to their dirty tricks. Apologies without sincerity. Smiling thru their teeth. Recognise the divide and rule tactics they employed. A monster which would not change for the better!

Out with PAP!

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Post GE2011, after the loss of Aljunied GRC, the GRC system is posing to be a vulnerable chink in the PAP's armour instead of a protectionist barrier. It is a two-edged sword, cutting both ways. If the ground swell against the PAP continues unabated, more qualified professionals and those with sterling backgrounds will come forward to join the Opp. Then, fielding a GRC is no longer a big deal, and the PAP can see itself losing a lot of seats in parliament. I'll be surprised if they dont fear this escalating trend. They are probably thinking how to devise new ways to fix the Opp.

What a screwup! All his father's work, under one term, and under his watch, everything must go...Father will probably have a final heart attack.

Out with PAP!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for bringing up Tang Guan Seng. Its a good reminder of not leaving things to the factions within the PAP. Tang was the leader of all powerful Chinese Factions mainly made of Chinese Language teachers. I believe they continue to have a minimum of two seats. It was indeed a shock that he lost. Yet they at the next elections they gave him a second try and rode on the coat-tails of a GRC and it was AMK which was a walk-over.

I am not sure but I believe he is only one in recent history to be paid a salary from state coffers for holding a political office without being elected. He was so powerful in the party that he as made political sec to both the old man and the son.

He was tasked to make sure that Zaobao never farted without his permission.

And yet he could not win in a constituency that he himself had chosen.

Tang Guan Seng lost was due to their mentality of a 'branded' party, proud, arrogant & we can 'do no wrong', 'we can do magic'. The loss of Hougang then was a shocker!. Ask any old HG residents, what Tang Guan Seng had done for the constitunecy?? one will get a very clear picture. Why they carried on voting for the WP, times have changed, people are well read, well travelled, well informed, the threathen me, threathen you thing; won't work. Nor, the upgrading, you don't vote for me, we won't upgrade. Whose money is being used to upgrade?, who is the landlord of the homes they live in & the surroundings.

But, even with the current By-Elections, the 'leopard' had not changed 'its spots'...so what DC shows a friendly, caring face. Once you vote him in, the 'same spots' will emerge. Does the people, want that?!

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for bringing up Tang Guan Seng. Its a good reminder of not leaving things to the factions within the PAP. Tang was the leader of all powerful Chinese Factions mainly made of Chinese Language teachers. I believe they continue to have a minimum of two seats. It was indeed a shock that he lost. Yet they at the next elections they gave him a second try and rode on the coat-tails of a GRC and it was AMK which was a walk-over.

I am not sure but I believe he is only one in recent history to be paid a salary from state coffers for holding a political office without being elected. He was so powerful in the party that he as made political sec to both the old man and the son.

He was tasked to make sure that Zaobao never farted without his permission.

And yet he could win in a constituency that he himself had chosen.

Do you mean - [ Yet he could not win in a constituency that he himself had chosen ] ??

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
After the Aljunied breach, GRC is now liability. So instead of losing seats one by one, it going to be at least 4 at one go. They don't have enough Tan Cheng Bocks to help them. People like Janil, Lee Bee Wah and few others would not even be able to get a seat in an SBS bus let alone Parliament if left on their own.

I hope the old man is around until 2006 to see the party collapsing. The treatment in Japan might have done enough to go for another 4 years.

Post GE2011, after the loss of Aljunied GRC, the GRC system is posing to be a vulnerable chink in the PAP's armour instead of a protectionist barrier. It is a two-edged sword, cutting both ways.

What a screwup! All his father's work, under one term, and under his watch, everything must go...Father will probably have a final heart attack.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
After the Aljunied breach, GRC is now liability. So instead of losing seats one by one, it going to be at least 4 at one go. They don't have enough Tan Cheng Bocks to help them. People like Janil, Lee Bee Wah and few others would not even be able to get a seat in an SBS bus let alone Parliament if left on their own.

I hope the old man is around until 2006 to see the party collapsing. The treatment in Japan might have done enough to go for another 4 years.

Shame, i was hoping he'll drop before 2016 and free the mindchains of the scared voters. I wonder how much estrogen and placenta can an 80 plus yr old man take? That said, i hope they will reaped all that they have sown for the past half century

we_do_not_sow_w1.jpeg

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I believe you mean: [ I hope the old man is around until 2016 to see the party collapsing. ]

You mean when he was in Japan for some kind of official visit, he went for treatment? What kind of treatment? to make him an immortal?