• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hospital Boss-Subordinate Relationship

ps07857

Alfrescian
Loyal
Help, I work at a local hospital and there seems to be a "budding"relationship between a houseman (rookie medical doctor) and a consultant (much older than her). I am trapped in the middle because I am responsible for reporting the houseman's grade to NUS. She is doing okay but more failing than passing right now.
The problem is that if I fail her, the consultant may step in to challenge that (assuming that they are both romantically linked). The girl is a Malaysian Chinese who is living on her own. As a result of that, she often gets a "ride" home by the consultant. Often at times, she will wait for him.
What would you do if you were me? :confused:

Serious advice only please. Thank you!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tell her that she is not doing too well and she needs to improve. Do this early so that she is has time to improve and if a failure has to be recorded down the road it does have to come as a surprise.

If she is romantically linked she will probably tell the consultant and he might back away. The medical fraternity is too small and these things spread like wildfire and his reputation will go down the drain. If the protocol requires you to report her progress to him, give early indication as well.

It the surprises that result in unpredictable behaviour.

Help, I work at a local hospital and there seems to be a "budding"relationship between a houseman (rookie medical doctor) and a consultant (much older than her). I am trapped in the middle because I am responsible for reporting the houseman's grade to NUS. She is doing okay but more failing than passing right now.
The problem is that if I fail her, the consultant may step in to challenge that (assuming that they are both romantically linked). The girl is a Malaysian Chinese who is living on her own. As a result of that, she often gets a "ride" home by the consultant. Often at times, she will wait for him.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There should be no hesitation in reporting the truth! U are merely doing your job and no amount of backlash, real or imagined, should deter u from doing a thorough and professional job. Notwithstanding their romantic liaison, u have a duty to pass or fail her accordingly! If u do your job properly and fairly, I don't see how u can be faulted or questioned. Your integrity and self-confidence cannot be compromised because of some romantic going-ons.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal

hahaha...ps07857, if u expect us to give u serious advice, it is also right that we know you are a real doctor?? talking about a real case.

your brief is simply too brief to expect serious advice......

ok...bird's view first....u just said "assuming" so it may be a case of u "imagining" and there is actually no problem at all in the first place.....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You got to be kidding! Singaporeans have very poor articulation skills and this is one of the rare instances where someone has provided a succint brief with the right amount of information.

He has done the following
- named the industry
- named the grades/positions of people involved
- named the relationship or highlighted what the relationship is likely to be

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
You got to be kidding! Singaporeans have very poor articulation skills and this is one of the rare instances where someone has provided a succint brief with the right amount of information.

He has done the following
- named the industry
- named the grades/positions of people involved
- named the relationship or highlighted what the relationship is likely to be

hahaha...i only see 1 key word......"assuming"....

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Usually the seniors know when to draw the line cos after so many years of frying their brains out to get where they are today! Might be just a "god-daughter", nothing mushy to fret about! Just do your appraisal n get it out from being sandwiched if u also hve a crush on her...hahaha! Do your job, nothing is personnel!

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahaha...ps07857, if u expect us to give u serious advice, it is also right that we know you are a real doctor?? talking about a real case.

ok...bird's view first....u just said "assuming" so it may be a case of u "imagining" and there is actually no problem at all in the first place.....

siao kuku...
Why you over analyzed har... :rolleyes:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod

Are you a registrar? Associate consultant?

Is the houseman and the consultant she is involved with in the same department as you? Or is the consultant from another department?

If the consultant is in the same department as you, then clearly there's nothing much left to say. He's one your of superiors in the department. Is he the head of department? No point rocking the boat.

As it is, it is a lot more trouble to fail a houseman in his/her posting. You have to justify a lot more. Which was why even bogus doctors managed to pass houseman postings in Singapore. So unless this houseman is really so horrible and unwilling to learn at all, I wouldn't try to do anything negative. Singapore does not have a whistle blower culture. The way people like things run is the underlings are cheerleaders to whatever the leader says and never brings up any problem because the leader only wants to hear solutions. Be smart. Don't rock the boat. Who are you trying to help? Society? The hospital? And who is going to give you a medal for it? No point be hero when there is no place for heroes.

If I were you, I would spend more time teaching and training the houseman rather than thinking of how to fail her, report her and all that negative stuff.

Houseman are newbies, what do you expect? They are learning. And as her senior your duty is to train her up to be a good doctor, not bother about her personal life and destroy her career.

There are many such cases of consultants wooing and marrying their housemen/MOs. Later on both are consultants and do really well.