• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ho Kwon Ping

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Instead of writing thrash about TPL and some other colourless people, journalists, authors and researchers should make an attempt to write an biography about Ho Kwon Ping from the day that he was born in Hong Kong. I can tell that there is no one else who stood in the middle of Singapore's history by fate, by coincidence, by choice and by a series of unexpected confluence of factors.

He did not change history, he did not even move history but he was on that seminal wave that brought the flower generation to the fore. He witnessed change, he witnessed events and he was not sitting in an armchair. He marched against the Vietnam war, he fought for class struggle, he stormed the Stanford classroom of a Professor who wanted to sterlise blacks (guess who else had similar ideas) suspended from Stanford in time and writing articles for Marxist organisation.

Raised in Thailand, only coming to Singapore to do his National Service. Son of multi-millionaire industrialist, who was a respected Ambassdor, an alumnus of Harvard and Cornell, a father that lost touch with him during the heady days of enlightment, Ho was not just born with a silver spoon, he ended up with silver handcuffs on two different occasions for entirely unrelated events.

Convicted at the age of 23, detained under ISA at age 24 while a 2nd year student at University of Singapore, confessed his lean towards Marxism just before he turned 25 and you would have thought he would ride into oblivion.

He was linked with American marxists, by coincidence with Euro marxists, worked for a British M16 spy, linked by intermediaries and associates who were mere acquaintances and by one degree with the Marxist conspiracy.

And I have not even talked about Banyan or his wife who became an NMP, his trustee status within the upper echelon of governing elite where he holds one of four pillars with the likes of Stephen Lee, Simon Tay and Koh Boon .

Now tell me, do you know your country, your fellow citizens or does life revolve around Jack Neo.

Last edited:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
simon tay?!...how times hv changed since the days of hon, george bogaars, andrew chew, sim kee boon etc...dont tell me next in line after simon may be eugene tan?!...hohohohoho...

saying that much rather hv simon than say chua thian poh eh?...

And I have not even talked about Banyan or his wife who became an NMP, his trustee status within the upper echelon of governing elite where he holds one of four pillars with the likes of Stephen Lee, Simon Tay and Koh Boon .

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Old man owes Simon's dad big time. He has been personally looking after him since school days. Simon who took Malay as his second language reciprocated by undergoing Mandarin intensively late in his life. Its amazing how someone who came in the last quartile of his cohort in law school is a Fulbright Scholar and a Professor in the University. Credit to him though, his articles and his poetic contributions has put him in a niche of his own.

simon tay?!...how times hv changed since the days of hon, george bogaars, andrew chew, sim kee boon etc...dont tell me next in line after simon may be eugene tan?!...hohohohoho...

saying that much rather hv simon than say chua thian poh eh?...

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
but apparently making this light weight one of the "four pillars" is quite astonishing...

Old man owes Simon's dad big time. He has been personally looking after him since school days. Simon who took Malay as his second language reciprocated by undergoing Mandarin intensively late in his life. Its amazing how someone who came in the last quartile of his cohort in law school is a Fulbright Scholar and a Professor in the University. Credit to him though, his articles and his poetic contributions has put him in a niche of his own.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree lightweight but brings in the humanistic and soft side representation of Singapore which the other 3 don't meet. Fiercely sponsored by Tommy Koh and Edwin Thumboo who is the accidental rebel and part of those arrested in the Fajar incident. To lend credibility to Simon's non-establishment credentials.

but apparently making this light weight one of the "four pillars" is quite astonishing...

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
From what I recall of HKP, I dont deem him a lightweight. If he is one, then so is Simon.

HKP def is not yr chip of the old block. I still think he tries to steer clear of being labelled pro-estab. If the PAP recognises him for his gravitas and wants to use him for their ends, I believe he will politely oblige but will always want to be his own man. The fact that he has chosen to be involved with SMU tells of the independent streak in him, instead of being coral for NUS or NTU provost or anything like that. At the end of the day, he has earned enough standing in business circles, industry, and the educational field to be able to speak his mind.

I dont even think there is anybody in the present Cabinet who is equal to him, let alone the likes of the other "pillars".

HKP is more or less an ideas man, and he has always been caught up in the throes of history: Vietnam War, marxism, anti-establishmentarianism etc. But i think he is ill-fitted to be in the uniformity, straitjacket of PAP politics. that's why he is still the free ranging outspoken oracular idealist.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
My sense is that he was part of an interesting time in history and he chose to follow his heart. He did it his way. But very disappointed that he now allows the PAP to use him for their own ends. He could have been just like 99.9% of Chinese rich kid in the US with a fancy sports car and enjoying life. He was an odd ball.

I know that detention can do many things but he completely changed after his release. All the detainees over the years never gave up or were very bitter. For Example, Poh Soo Kai went straight back to what he was doing in the past. So did most of Marxist Conspiracy chaps. But he went off into a different direction.

My guess is that his father and sister had an impact on him. Father was very educated man and his company had so many large contracts within the Govt. When he was arrested by ISD, he father disowned him. He was so frustrated. Anyway even the ISD was shocked by his revelation and he ended up doing a televised confession. And his was completely different from the rest.

This guy should wake up one day, find his mojo, form a political party and take on the PAP.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If HKP dare against PAP, many people will rally behind him. I hope HKP take the courage to voice his voices once more, this is the internet age unlike the past. PAP is no longer a fear party, it has weakened considerably after this year's two elections. Wearing a PAP badge to town is like telling the world you belong to the unrepsectable group. Shaking hands with opposition party is like a child has finally matured and saw the world. Time has change, I hope more people like HKP will put on their battle gear again and bring the people forward. He is still young in his 50s and can achieve better things beyond his business. Prove to his father he can build a legacy like no others and this is the right time and setting for him to do just that.

As for Eugene Tan, his regular presence and commentaries are nothing new, thus became tasteless over time.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree on HKP. Eugene is a washout.
If HKP dare against PAP, many people will rally behind him. I hope HKP take the courage to voice his voices once more, this is the internet age unlike the past. PAP is no longer a fear party, it has weakened considerably after this year's two elections. Wearing a PAP badge to town is like telling the world you belong to the unrepsectable group. Shaking hands with opposition party is like a child has finally matured and saw the world. Time has change, I hope more people like HKP will put on their battle gear again and bring the people forward. He is still young in his 50s and can achieve better things beyond his business. Prove to his father he can build a legacy like no others and this is the right time and setting for him to do just that.As for Eugene Tan, his regular presence and commentaries are nothing new, thus became tasteless over time.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
er if u r commenting on my posts, then think u may be mistaken bro...i never said HKP is a "lightweight"...in fact i personally hv great respect for him although disappointed that he appears to be too pap elite establishment nowadays...in this regard i differ wif yr pov...

i said simon appears to be a "lightweight"...

From what I recall of HKP, I dont deem him a lightweight. If he is one, then so is Simon.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok bro. Copy that.

er if u r commenting on my posts, then think u may be mistaken bro...i never said HKP is a "lightweight"...in fact i personally hv great respect for him although disappointed that he appears to be too pap elite establishment nowadays...in this regard i differ wif yr pov...

i said simon appears to be a "lightweight"...

byleftcan

Alfrescian
Loyal
This guy might even run for president down the road. But the pay would be too little for the trouble.

bhoven

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyway even the ISD was shocked by his revelation and he ended up doing a televised confession. And his was completely different from the rest.

This guy should wake up one day, find his mojo, form a political party and take on the PAP.

In the "confessional" TV interview he completely outclassed his inquisitor....no wonder he was spotted by the Far Eastern Economics Review editor Derek Davies and appointed Asst Economics editor at that tender age. Pity though that he was not that brilliant as a bizman...Wah Chang Engineering was not a great success as a company, nor is to be honest , Banyan Tree...yes HKP can do much more on the national stage..

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
well spotted bro...me thinks this perhaps explains his slow shift towards pap elite establishment ranks...

In the "confessional" TV interview he completely outclassed his inquisitor....no wonder he was spotted by the Far Eastern Economics Review editor Derek Davies and appointed Asst Economics editor at that tender age. Pity though that he was not that brilliant as a bizman...Wah Chang Engineering was not a great success as a company, nor is to be honest , Banyan Tree...yes HKP can do much more on the national stage..

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hard to find good models nowadays anyways...even our Great Helmsman Old man will run GIC into the ground if he had more years. Not to mention his daughter-in-law extraordinaire at TH or his not-so-distant relative President extraordinaire TT.

So measured against those yardsticks, HKP comes up ahead. At least, he built his own enterprises...

Pity though that he was not that brilliant as a bizman...Wah Chang Engineering was not a great success as a company, nor is to be honest , Banyan Tree...yes HKP can do much more on the national stage..

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I heard that he has little interest in business. Wah Chang an inheritance, Banyan his wife's interest. I suspect that his interest is in society. Interestingly he had no formal degree when he was with FEER. Somehow I get the impression that the Govt had guessed it right and gave him trustee appointment for their social endeavours.

Last edited: