• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Groundswell of disquiet knocks out PAP in Punggol East

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Groundswell of disquiet knocks out PAP in Punggol East,
boosting WP and marginalizing smaller opposition parties
by Derek da Cunha
Posted as a FB NOTE Saturday, January 26, 2013 at 11:13pm

A by-election loss was always on the cards for the PAP in Punggol East, despite it being a four-cornered race which, by intuition, would favour the incumbent. The fact is that by-elections anywhere around the world are always highly disadvantageous to the party in Government. This is the reason why prior to 2012 the PAP Government has not held by-elections since the one in Marine Parade GRC in 1992. However, what is surprising about the Punggol East result is the scale of the PAP’s loss. The swing towards the Workers’ Party was a substantial 13.51%. The only conclusion is that at ground level there is seething anger at the Government. A raft of issues are behind that anger, but all evidence points to it centring on the key issue of the continued heavy influx of foreign nationals into Singapore which is causing all manner of problems for Singaporeans even if businesses benefit from that influx.

The PAP candidate, Dr Koh Poh Koon did not help his cause by appearing to be a reluctant contestant. He was rich in professional credentials as a physician, but poor in political instincts. During the campaign Dr Koh made the astonishing claim that “everybody has a car”. To make such a remark at any time is callous and insensitive. To make it when Certificates of Entitlement (COE) for cars are close to record highs is simply stupid and demonstrates the extent to which Dr Koh is out of touch with the daily lives of ordinary folk. Funnily enough, Dr Koh’s remark was similar to one made by his predecessor, Mr Michael Palmer, who in his first year as an MP affected surprise that there are poor people in Singapore. This cannot be pure coincidence, but points to a major problem within the PAP – its narrow ultra-elitism which is also reflected in the way it chooses its election candidates.

In contrast to a political neophyte in Dr Koh, the WP fielded a seasoned grassroots activist in Ms Lee Li Lian, who returned to the ward she contested in GE2011 and was rewarded handsomely by the voters. Contrary to naysayers both online and offline, the WP’s choice of Ms Lee was not a consequence of the party’s lack of talent. Indeed, the WP has talent by the spade full and it showcased four new faces during its by-election rallies. The new faces, including two lawyers and one academic, are just a small number of many aspirants that have been knocking on the WP’s door since GE2011, including a few high profile defections from other opposition parties. It is likely that others who have been hesitating, thinking that the WP’s breakthrough in GE2011 was simply a flash-in-the-pan, will now be making a beeline to the party’s HQ, as the WP has demonstrated that it is a winning election machine.

In keeping with the way it operates, the WP holds its cards very close to its chest; it sees no need to disclose the extent of its material and manpower resources just to satisfy the curiosity of those who engage in online chatter. Ms Lee’s common touch, the significant premium on the WP’s brand, the party’s superior ground game which involved a legion of passionate members and volunteers, the public perception that the party is a well-organized outfit that is moderate in nature and not given to political grandstanding, plus the concept of geographical adjacency – where opposition sentiment spilled over from the WP’s stronghold of Aljunied into Punggol East – all brought home the hefty 54.52% vote for the WP and, in the process, obliterated the two other contestants from the RP and the SDA.

To that extent, the consequence of the Punggol East result will, ironically, be likely felt far more by the other opposition parties than by the Government which, because of its massive parliamentary majority, is likely to remain unfazed. Those other opposition parties will clearly be impacted negatively; it is not unreasonable to suggest that some personalities in those parties had quietly hoped that the WP would be denied victory. Understandably, this is not how some of the other opposition parties, and bloggers aligned to them, will write-up the Punggol East result. Publicly, they will likely say that it was simply a very bad result for the governing PAP, instead of the reality – that it was a superb result for the WP. They want to give the impression that their parties will be as equally competitive as the WP against the PAP at the next general election. In a word, they are simply dreaming.

My analysis in the book Breakthrough: Roadmap for Singapore’s Political Future, where the WP is on the ascendant and the other political parties are increasingly marginalized, remains very much intact.

Dr Derek da Cunha is author of the books: Breakthrough: Roadmap for Singapore’s Political Future (2012), which is an analysis of the 2011 Singapore general election; and, The Price of Victory: The 1997 Singapore General Election and Beyond (1997).
Copyright © Derek da Cunha

[FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif]http://www.facebook.com/notes/derek...t-boosting-wp-and-marginali/10152138088073797[/FONT]

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
In keeping with the way it operates, the WP holds its cards very close to its chest; it sees no need to disclose the extent of its material and manpower resources just to satisfy the curiosity of those who engage in online chatter. Ms Lee’s common touch, the significant premium on the WP’s brand, the party’s superior ground game which involved a legion of passionate members and volunteers, the public perception that the party is a well-organized outfit that is moderate in nature and not given to political grandstanding, plus the concept of geographical adjacency – where opposition sentiment spilled over from the WP’s stronghold of Aljunied into Punggol East – all brought home the hefty 54.52% vote for the WP and, in the process, obliterated the two other contestants from the RP and the SDA.

This sums up the way WP operates and the reasons for victory.

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another fairly good analysis of the PAP reaction.

Of how these idiots can get it completely wrong (again)

http://nizamosaurus.wordpress.com/2013/01/27/punggol-pandemonium/

The PAP did not get it wrong becos they did not find out or know about this disquiet.

They simply refused to acknowledge the fact that such disquiet can lessen or even remove from them the power to rule.

It's arrogance coupled with disdain for the lower rank folks who they feel has NO RIGHT to tell them how to do things or has any rightful place in the Parliment House.

It's high time these scums lower themselves down to the ground or else they have to suffer the hard option of being made to do so.

wonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will never remove them from the power to rule, even if Pappies lose the GE, as they will bring in the army!

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The ground is ripe for the defeat of the PAP in the next GE. Sinkees don't trust the PAP-controlled grassroot organizations and the national policies are so out of whack with the interests of the people that only fools will support the PAP.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
The PAP did not get it wrong becos they did not find out or know about this disquiet.

They simply refused to acknowledge the fact that such disquiet can lessen or even remove from them the power to rule.

It's arrogance coupled with disdain for the lower rank folks who they feel has NO RIGHT to tell them how to do things or has any rightful place in the Parliment House.

It's high time these scums lower themselves down to the ground or else they have to suffer the hard option of being made to do so.

I agree completely with this analysis. Many of the MIWs do not know, nor care to know, what is happening at ground level.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It will never remove them from the power to rule, even if Pappies lose the GE, as they will bring in the army!

I would like to see them try. The army is largely made of conscripts. The guns may be turned upon the pappies.

Then they'll really appreciate the meaning of the word 'backfire'.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
C'mon, there is no need for complex strategy. People at Punggol East already not happy with PAP. Then SDP and NSP never join in to split votes with WP. Furthermore, EVERYBODY knows, including KJ and DL that they will lose their deposits. Look, DL had a youtube campaign and KJ spent his freaking time countering facebook threats on his son. These are all deliberate smoke-screens.

Simply put, PAP was kelonged into a trap. FULL STOP.

Travellor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would like to see them try. The army is largely made of conscripts. The guns may be turned upon the pappies.

Then they'll really appreciate the meaning of the word 'backfire'.

Bro they wont bring the cockanathan useless SAF la,...they will bring in their secret battalion of gurkhas who won't hesitate to chop down and shoot your sinkies protestors.....

wdf you think Old Man and his ministers have them guarding their houeses? Have you taken a look at the sharpshooters in changi prison, they are not your sinkie home team clowns but gurkhas who can be relied upon to shoot when their angmoh commander says so... and who do you think that angmoh dog reports to??

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
C'mon, there is no need for complex strategy. People at Punggol East already not happy with PAP. Then SDP and NSP never join in to split votes with WP. Furthermore, EVERYBODY knows, including KJ and DL that they will lose their deposits. Look, DL had a youtube campaign and KJ spent his freaking time countering facebook threats on his son. These are all deliberate smoke-screens.

Simply put, PAP was kelonged into a trap. FULL STOP.

hahaha. You seem adamant that everyone else is wrong but you are right. Maybe there is truth to your assertions.
Here is my own assertion: SDP would have got maybe 3-4% of the vote if it went into the MCF contest.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro they wont bring the cockanathan useless SAF la,...they will bring in their secret battalion of gurkhas who won't hesitate to chop down and shoot your sinkies protestors.....

wdf you think Old Man and his ministers have them guarding their houeses? Have you taken a look at the sharpshooters in changi prison, they are not your sinkie home team clowns but gurkhas who can be relied upon to shoot when their angmoh commander says so... and who do you think that angmoh dog reports to??

u see old man no up. the gurkhas are in regimental strength, at least 2000 strong.

Prometheus888

Alfrescian
Loyal
We shall see if pap dares to continue with the release of population white paper.

I think their course is a relentless one. The PAP has to prop up current property prices and their only solution has to be this news that they are importing more FTs. that way foreign capital will be attracted by the greed of capital appreciation in this place and continue to park their hot cash here.

That is why the social concerns like the runaway inflation and the ever increasing costs of living and overcrowding are such trivial and ancillary concerns to the PAP, it they dont continue to do this, their massive ponzi scheme will conclude in a bloody carnage

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hahaha. You seem adamant that everyone else is wrong but you are right. Maybe there is truth to your assertions.
Here is my own assertion: SDP would have got maybe 3-4% of the vote if it went into the MCF contest.

Alright, I not so good at analyzing political shenanigans, but I know 5 vote swinging facts. They are:
1. PE has a predominantly sizeable young couples with children, which SDP will appeal to them
2. PE is void of childcare centres, coffee shops, amenities and LRT is always packed until people has to wait long long
3. Michael Palmer screwing his volunteers like Laura when Rivervale Plaza is a mess
4. Anyone parachuted into any constituency sure need time to connect, but KPK has no time and he only joined PAP 1 month
5. SDP can send that gay neh and NSP can send NS, that will definitely split votes with WP

I attended WP rally at PE, attended HG rally, I attended East Coast GRC rally and Algunied GRC rally and I attended NSP rally with NS and Jennette at Mountbaten. I seen the crowd and I heard the response. I did not attend SDP rally but I know the gay neh from SDP will win votes, because the young couples with children will vote the gay neh, but the older folks will vote WP. Hence, of course on hindsight, I think in a MCF with all the parties involved, the voting pattern will be like this:

PAP: 32
WP: 22
SDP: 22
NSP: 22
RP: asshole poked
SDA: asshole poked
SPP: asshole poked

But it never happened. So, all those who vote opposition end up voting WP.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alright, I not so good at analyzing political shenanigans, but I know 5 vote swinging facts. They are:
1. PE has a predominantly sizeable young couples with children, which SDP will appeal to them
2. PE is void of childcare centres, coffee shops, amenities and LRT is always packed until people has to wait long long
3. Michael Palmer screwing his volunteers like Laura when Rivervale Plaza is a mess
4. Anyone parachuted into any constituency sure need time to connect, but KPK has no time and he only joined PAP 1 month
5. SDP can send that gay neh and NSP can send NS, that will definitely split votes with WP

I attended WP rally at PE, attended HG rally, I attended East Coast GRC rally and Algunied GRC rally and I attended NSP rally with NS and Jennette at Mountbaten. I seen the crowd and I heard the response. I did not attend SDP rally but I know the gay neh from SDP will win votes, because the young couples with children will vote the gay neh, but the older folks will vote WP. Hence, of course on hindsight, I think in a MCF with all the parties involved, the voting pattern will be like this:

PAP: 32
WP: 22
SDP: 22
NSP: 22
RP: asshole poked
SDA: asshole poked
SPP: asshole poked

But it never happened. So, all those who vote opposition end up voting WP.

hahaha. In your earlier post you say things are not so complex in terms of strategy and yet you go into such complexity?
Here is the lack of complexity for you: The voters would sense which party has the best chance of defeating PAP and vote accordingly.
So, my view remains: If SDP entered the MCF it would have got 3-4% of the vote, insufficient to prevent WP from winning, because
voters would gravitate towards WP as the party in best position to defeat PAP.