• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Great news for fresh grads, wow...

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey you, reading this, are you one of these?

Has the state of the economy motivated you to change your attitudes?

I know it may not feel so but as a business owner I can tell you that this is great for you guys in the longterm. If you change and improve your attitude there will be hope for Singapore

Otherwise, the country will go down the drain and the only happy fucker will be the misguided guitar man downgrader who thinks life is all sing song humpalong on the beach

>> ASIAONE / NEWS / EDUCATION / STORY

Mon, Jan 12, 2009
The Straits Times

Fresh grads in for hard times

By Sue-Ann Chia, Senior Political Correspondent

MISS Tracy Lum graduated last September, just when Singapore slipped into a recession, which snuffed out her hopes of getting a job quickly.

Today, four months later, the interior design degree holder is still jobless.

She has sent out around 20 resumes, and is keeping her fingers crossed that she will get lucky soon.

'I hope to get a job, at the latest, by the middle of this year,' said the 24-year-old, who is living off her savings and getting some help from her parents.

The LaSalle College of the Arts graduate also does some part-time administrative work.

Singapore now has some 17,300 jobless young people under 30, according to the Manpower Ministry, making up 31 per cent of about 55,800 out-of-work Singaporeans.

Analysts predict these numbers will grow in the coming months, when more fresh graduates enter the labour market in the middle of the year.

With the number of job vacancies shrinking as companies freeze or cut down on hiring, many people are likely to draw a blank in their job searches.

Said economist Hoon Hian Teck from the Singapore Management University: 'The dismal economic outlook is more likely to be translated into a slower pace of hiring, so the impact of the economic slowdown will be more strongly felt by new entrants into the labour market.'

As it is, those under 30 are already finding it tough to land a job. At 4.1 per cent, the unemployment rate of this group is higher than the national average of 2.8 per cent.

In fact, it is the highest among all age groups: The jobless rate for those aged 30 to 39 is 2.4 per cent, and 2.6 per cent for those over 40.

The hardest hit in the under-30 group are those with below-secondary education, as they face a double whammy: They lack both skills and experience.

Analysts say that the young and jobless should lower their pay expectations and consider contract jobs.

Recruitment agency PeopleWorldwide Consulting's managing director David Leong noted that hiring workers on contract will be a growing trend, as companies do not want to add to their permanent head count.

'Job-seekers should not see this as an assault to their professionalism or that such interim job arrangements will not lead to any good,' he said. 'They should consider doing it if the job content fits their skills.'

But some young job-seekers here are still keeping their options open.

Miss Tania Ng, 21, who will graduate with a business degree from the Nanyang Technological University in June, said she is thinking of furthering her studies if she cannot find a job.

'The opportunity cost for studying in bad times is not very high,' she said.

But others are less sanguine.

Miss Serene Sim, 22, who is studying real estate management at the National University of Singapore (NUS), was prompted by the grim job market to start looking for work last month - six months before graduation.

She got two offers, and chose to start work with one company - a property developer - even before she graduates, while doing part-time modules in her final semester at NUS.

'Initially, I thought I would take my time and enjoy my final semester,' she said.

'But with the economy as it is, I decided I should just make sure I have a job first. It's not exactly what I wanted but at least it's in the right field.'

Although she was aiming for a marketing job, she was offered and accepted a position in operations doing administrative and clerical work.

She believes she was able to land a job so soon because she was not fussy. Although she was hoping for a higher starting pay, she took the $1,800 offer she got.

'I was hoping for $2,700 to $2,800 in the past, but I know that is unlikely now,' she said.

Additional reporting by Jeremy Au Yong

This article was first published in The Straits Times on Jan 10, 2008.

Angelo

Alfrescian
Loyal
fresh grad 1.8k?

knncb

they should really thank the old fart for selling them dirt-cheap.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore now has some 17,300 jobless young people under 30, according to the Manpower Ministry, making up 31 per cent of about 55,800 out-of-work Singaporeans.

The opposition parties should launch a massive recruitment drive and seize power.

Later redistribute incomes...:biggrin:

PAPsupporter

Alfrescian
Loyal
For fresh Bachelor degree holder, i think the current salary rate is around 2.5k/month, if they are willing to have a lower salary and be more flexible, I think the employers are more than pleased to consider their applications and hire them. While for those fresh grads from local universities of NUS/NTU/SMU (who are more stuck up [based on personal experience]), they should change their attitudes on this, if not they will be left out.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Miss Tracy Lum, Tania Ng and Serene Sim should have some faith in our million dollar leaders....

Gahmen promised FTs will create jobs for sinkaporeans.

PAPsupporter

Alfrescian
Loyal
fresh grad 1.8k?

knncb

they should really thank the old fart for selling them dirt-cheap.

I don't understand why you are so hostile on this. I thought most of us wanted our salary to be higher? It is good for our children and future generation.

mscitw

Alfrescian
Loyal
Old Autocrat was extremely cocky and announced Peasantpore was in Golden Age and took some time off to shield inept WKS from the Limp Mat Scandal.

Now the bubble has burst and peasants are wondering whether the Compelled Pension Fishtrap is another Madoff Ponzi scheme....woe woe woe peasantpore.

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
The graduated from the wrong university.

They should have enrolled in SMU cause it claims it's graduates can land $5K jobs on graduation.

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I wonder what its like for this bitch now :rolleyes::biggrin:

2cdh91t.jpg

I wonder what its like for this bitch now :rolleyes::biggrin:

Pastors_of_CHC_Sucks

Alfrescian
Loyal
Trust me, those not graduated from the local 3 unis can do much better work than those local uni graduates. Local uni students from the ntu nus smu are too pampered and arrogant, they can only survive in govt sectors.

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually 1.8k is quite high for fresh grad during bad times. Some fresh grads are offered only 1k+ from what I was told. They shouldn't expect the starting salary they get during the good years.

I don't think "Jaclyn" is real. H/w it is not unlikely that she is real either. Given interaction with some of the undergrads from local unis these days, I find them extremely childish. Their mental capacity may equate those secondary school level of my generation, which is hardly a few years older than them.

The biggest problem is that the school syllabus has been made easier to allow "grades inflation". Perhaps what employers should do, before being overwhelmed by how many As their prospective employee gets, is to take a look at the secondary textbooks of these kids. They are a joke.

So in case anyone is wondering why the kids these days seem to be able to get so many As and still act so dumb, now you know. :p:smile:

I think what would be cut out are precisely the new grads -- this would be manifested in the form of hiring freeze. To whatever number of grads hired in previous years, I think that bunch would be sadled with more work as the generations older than them get cut out due to their higher salaries.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>>>Singapore now has some 17,300 jobless young people under 30, according to the Manpower Ministry, making up 31 per cent of about 55,800 out-of-work Singaporeans.<<<

So one can expect the definition here to be only pink IC holders since the Familee has a penchant to pray down bad news and pray up good news. If the situation is so bad, why is the Familee still importing FTrash by the plane loads? And why are the 66% goondus still elect to be screwed?

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
How come no have SMU grads cannot find job story? So lobsided report. SMU grads are mostly fucked up so they are confirm worse.

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
Enough bashing of local grads already. Good and bad people are present in all social strata. As a poly grad who went on to a local university, I actually find more good people to work with in the uni than in poly. Or maybe it's the crowd I mix with.

It's obvious a local uni grad expects more, because he has studied his guts out to qualify. It doesn't help that the govt and schools are always brainwashing students on their expectations, telling them stories about famous grads who make 100K a month....etc. Some survive and do well. Some never wake up their ideas and don't.

I know a number of alumni, myself included, whu hate our alma mater for blowing such a big trumpet and setting unrealistic expectations. I'd rather we be allowed to quietly pursue our careers and take all credit for our own successes.

Last edited:

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
bashing? no, putting them in their right place

really, as employer i vomit blood local graduates, no humility at all, young and inexperienced but not willing to work hard

that s why this recession will teach them

i got one PRC graduated from NYP, so hardworking, willing to put in extra hours, run errands, etc. and her english better than locals

i neither favour ft or locals, i favour those with good attitude

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal
lhl.jpg

"Aiya study harder and be like me, can find good jobs and survive anywhere in this world without any worries. Hei hei hei hei hei.. "