• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Granny regretted aborting her third child due to ‘Stop at 2′ policy in the 1970s

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]Granny regretted aborting her third child due to ‘Stop at 2′ policy in the 1970s[/h]Posted by temasektimes on May 31, 2012
I wish to share something told to me firsthand. I am in the service industry and have to serve customers and so today I was just talking to an old lady, who seemed to be in her 70s or 80s, and before long, it became a chat that she was pouring out part of her younger days life story.
We initially talked about how children were very smart nowadays to be able to use all the technological gadget and eventually she asked casually where I stay, to which I replied her and she said that she thought I stay in Hougang, (I am working near Hougang despite staying far away) where there was recently so much excitement over the by-election.
She then said these exact words:
“The opposition party had won, again, no surprise, but I do feel that it is good to have an opposition voice, otherwise to have only a single ruling party will mean that party will be able to do everything and anything it likes”
At this point, she did not mention where she lived or whether if she had voted in that By-Election but if she did, it will be easy to guess which party she actually voted for.
After a short while of praising the winning party, she went on to ask me if I am a Singaporean, to which I replied that I am a pure Singaporean. She said she asked because she thought I looked like a PRC (unfortunately, many have thought so before).
And then she went on to lament that there were so many PRCs and Pinoys working here now and if it was true that it was the sliding birth rate that we had to hire so many foreigners, then there should not have been the “Stop at 2” policy during her time when she was young.
And she followed with these exact words:
“You know everybody was so fearful of the impact of that policy. We were so worried about the future of our 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] children onwards. In fact, I was with a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] child at that time, but because of that “Stop at 2” policy, I was very concerned about my child’s welfare and education and whether if that child would have a good future, that I aborted my 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] child. I really regretted that decision, and now they say we need to have more children because of our declining birth rate, and even encouraged us by giving us rewards for having more children. And when that did not work, foreigners are hired in, which in turned compete with Singaporeans for jobs. So why have that policy in the first place?”
I could tell from her expression that she was filled with sorrow and pain when she said those words but I just remained silent and listened on as she poured out her woes to me. She eventually started talking about experience through World War 2 but I had to excuse myself halfway as another customer needed my help.
But it did leave me to wonder, did that policy really leave such a fearful impact on our parents and grandparents back then, so strong the message the policy brought across the whole of Singapore that this grandmother told me she actually had to abort her 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] child?
Did that policy have any role in our current birth rate dropping so drastically that our government is screaming out the necessity and justification to open the floodgates to all those foreigners?
Last but not least, in this recent Hougang By-Election saga, how did my own mother, who used to be a staunch supporter of our ruling party and who had even once scolded my late father for supporting the opposition long time back, suddenly come to be cheering for WP when she saw from TV that they had won?
I leave the readers to ponder over the above and once again, I was just relating the exact conversation I had today with an old lady shopping together with her grandchildren.
DANIEL ONG

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If you live on a land with fear, might as well drop dead and die.

The way sinkie counter fear is to bend down and let the govt screw. How pathetic!! That is why i avoided them to prevent myself from getting polluted from such disgraceful behavior which does not uphold any human integrity. Even animals have integrity for their existence, i wonder why sinkies dun understand this.

In first world country with first world individuals, they protest. Even some third world country protest too. In other words, integrity for their human existence.

Last edited:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I hate the PAP but have to give credit when credit is due. I believe that the stop at 2 policy was one of the best policies ever done by any world Gahmen. That time, people were breeding like rabbits and if that policy was not implemented life would have been worse in the 80s. The problem is PAP is now in rent seeking mode and wants to take the easy way out while preserving and expending their wealth and covering up for Temasek Losses. That is why all the foreigners are being let in..to benefit employers and PAP itself.

If less people what is the big deal? dont have to spend much on infrastructure etc...better than now,,more people but cannot cope,

The economy and population growth would have reach a new equilibrium things would have been slower but better..

Look at those countries where the population growth is uncontrolled..like AUstralia and 3rd world countries like India and Africa and Pinoy land and Indon..the poor breed so much that they are forever in a poverty trap..and these people cant even add 2 and 2 to know that more mouths to feed means more incomes lost,,they cant upgrade, cant invest in housing etc cos all their disposable income is use on food,,,and when their kids grow up the cycle repeats itself again..

stop at 2 was one of the best policies,,its not the cause of todays problems...PAP rent seeking behaviour is..

And you very sure that this Ah Soh can afford to feed her 3rd child????

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe that the stop at 2 policy was one of the best policies ever done by any world Gahmen. That time, people were breeding like rabbits and if that policy was not implemented life would have been worse in the 80s.

Oi Sinkie. Life good or bad, what the fuck has it got to do with you? Some were happy with big families even if that meant more mouths to feed. Who do you think you are to decide arbitrarily how many children they should have? The PAPpies were abusing their power by veering beyond the purview of a government, imposing fines on those who had the temerity to make personal decisions for themselves. Fertility rate has been dropping for the past 50 years. How many countries needed to resort to the draconian disincentives that the fascist PAPzis put in place? Be it 60% or 40%, a Sinkie will always be a Sinkie :rolleyes:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes I am a facist...the problem comes in when these big families cant look after their kids, become criminals and give problems to society,,such policies prevent such probs from happening...I also mention many 3rd world countries like pinoyland, indon, africa etc will do well w such policies

Oi Sinkie. Life good or bad, what the fuck has it got to do with you? Some were happy with big families even if that meant more mouths to feed. Who do you think you are to decide arbitrarily how many children they should have? The PAPpies were abusing their power by veering beyond the purview of a government, imposing fines on those who had the temerity to make personal decisions for themselves. Fertility rate has been dropping for the past 50 years. How many countries needed to resort to the draconian disincentives that the fascist PAPzis put in place? Be it 60% or 40%, a Sinkie will always be a Sinkie :rolleyes:

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
alot of dogs said that LKY can see far and beyond when making decision ...:wink: . so why must we increase the population now ? :wink:

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stupid granny regret and regret and regret but every GE vote for LKY.

If youre born stupid, of course your life is full of regrets.

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I hate the PAP but have to give credit when credit is due. I believe that the stop at 2 policy was one of the best policies ever done by any world Gahmen. That time, people were breeding like rabbits and if that policy was not implemented life would have been worse in the 80s. The problem is PAP is now in rent seeking mode and wants to take the easy way out while preserving and expending their wealth and covering up for Temasek Losses. That is why all the foreigners are being let in..to benefit employers and PAP itself.

If less people what is the big deal? dont have to spend much on infrastructure etc...better than now,,more people but cannot cope,

The economy and population growth would have reach a new equilibrium things would have been slower but better..

Look at those countries where the population growth is uncontrolled..like AUstralia and 3rd world countries like India and Africa and Pinoy land and Indon..the poor breed so much that they are forever in a poverty trap..and these people cant even add 2 and 2 to know that more mouths to feed means more incomes lost,,they cant upgrade, cant invest in housing etc cos all their disposable income is use on food,,,and when their kids grow up the cycle repeats itself again..

stop at 2 was one of the best policies,,its not the cause of todays problems...PAP rent seeking behaviour is..

And you very sure that this Ah Soh can afford to feed her 3rd child????

You very sure this Ah Soh can't afford to feed her 3rd child? Anyone heard of people dying of hunger in the 1970's of Singapore?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You very sure this Ah Soh can't afford to feed her 3rd child? Anyone heard of people dying of hunger in the 1970's of Singapore?

In all decades have you heard of any of the whities & their associates DIE OF HUNGER?, nearly BBQ to a crisp, yes!

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
In all decades have you heard of any of the whities & their associates DIE OF HUNGER?, nearly BBQ to a crisp, yes!

sht250234.jpg

Looks delicious :smile:

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bringing up a child is not only about feeding...its about the ability to bring up the child well. When the policy was implemented it was to reduce the strain on resources...

Now PAP is about rent seeking behaviour ..to benefit the elites and oligarchs, The PAP does not care about the people .....its about enriching the oligarchs

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bringing up a child is not only about feeding...its about the ability to bring up the child well. When the policy was implemented it was to reduce the strain on resources...

Now PAP is about rent seeking behaviour ..to benefit the elites and oligarchs, The PAP does not care about the people .....its about enriching the oligarchs

They are just seeking the easy way out by implementing the "Stop At 2" policy.
Aren't they rushing to build houses, hospitals and upgrading the size of school now?
Suddenly, SG become full of resources?

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tat time Spore not as rich...still a developing country

They are just seeking the easy way out by implementing the "Stop At 2" policy.
Aren't they rushing to build houses, hospitals and upgrading the size of school now?
Suddenly, SG become full of resources?

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tat time Spore not as rich...still a developing country

SG is richer now, do you see people making more babies? Like you say, SG then was a developing country. Ironically, "Human" development was restricted. How long does it take for a newborn bady to attend school? 7years for Primary, 13 years for Secondary, 17 years JC and so on. The resources you mentioned are not required immediately.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG is richer now, do you see people making more babies? Like you say, SG then was a developing country. Ironically, "Human" development was restricted. How long does it take for a newborn bady to attend school? 7years for Primary, 13 years for Secondary, 17 years JC and so on. The resources you mentioned are not required immediately.

I must admire your infantile logic!

Indonesia, Bangladesh, India, Nigeria and Pakistan will be super rich tomorrow. Good thing they have limited population control and their governments can ill-afford to support them now.

Stupid China with 1.3 billion people limits each married couple to only one child! It should allow more children to be born so that the Chinese can make up more than one quarter of mankind and flood the world.