• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Good Local CECA Brahmin SYT Student From White UWC College Killed In Cambodia While Doing School Charity Project.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
SINGAPORE – The death of a 17-year-old international school student during a school trip to Cambodia has sparked concern among several parents who want answers and a review of guidelines on overseas excursions.

Kaira Karmakar, an Indian national who was studying at United World College of South-east Asia (UWCSEA) in Dover Road, died in a road accident on June 1 while on a school trip to the Cambodian capital Phnom Penh.

She was with a group of classmates, and there were no teachers or adult representatives accompanying them. UWCSEA was notified at 3.07am the same day. The school declined to say how many students were part of the group.

UWCSEA Dover head Patrick Hurworth, in an e-mail to parents on June 1, informed them that she had died while in Cambodia for the school’s project week.

The e-mail, seen by The Straits Times, said students have the option of going on an overseas field trip for project week as part of the grade 11 curriculum, and that it is “designed to support readiness for independent life” after graduation.

UWCSEA, a top international school with campuses around the world, has two in Singapore – in Dover Road and Tampines. Grade 11 is similar to the first year in junior college in Singapore.

UWCSEA head of college Nick Alchin, in an e-mail on June 7, said students would break into small groups of four to six and spend up to six months planning their trips. The process is supervised by a teacher who does not go on the trip, he added.

Mr Alchin said: “It is different to all other outdoor education trips because the structure is to use a period of detailed supervised planning to support student travel without an accompanying UWCSEA adult.”

One student in each group is given mandatory first-aid training, and students have access to a 24-hour emergency hotline – provided by security service International SOS – and a list of local contacts and the closest hospitals, he added.

In his e-mail, Mr Alchin said the school is planning to have an external investigation done on the accident as well as project week. The final report, he added, will be submitted to the audit and risk committee of the school’s board of governors – the body responsible for reviewing school processes.

However, one parent said it has been nearly three months and there has been no update on the incident since the June 7 e-mail from Mr Alchin.

The parent, who asked not to be identified, said: “The school has not informed the parents of the outcome of the investigation and obviously expects that this has been forgotten throughout the summer holidays.

“As a parent, I feel voiceless and cornered.”

The parent also asked why the school would allow students to go on an overseas trip without an adult.

Said the parent: “The school’s justification that this trip was meant to foster independence in our children is nothing short of a poor excuse...

“The tragedy that unfolded as this young lady died in a road accident was entirely preventable. The school should have been aware that teenagers are prone to testing boundaries.”

UWCSEA declined to answer queries on the accident or the review of project week guidelines.

It did, however, celebrate Kaira’s life in a joint statement with the Karmakar family.

The statement said: “Kaira was exceptional, an outstanding student who had already achieved so much in her life and who shared her blessings freely. UWCSEA has named a scholarship in Kaira’s honour, so that a young student of great promise and potential can experience an education at the school she loved.”

According to the UWC website, the school has also set up an endowment in Kaira’s name – in a tie-up with the Karmakar family, and the fund will help support UWCSEA scholarships, among other things.

On social media platform TikTok, Kaira’s friends paid tribute to her. One person left a comment on the last post put up by Kaira. It said: “Rest in peace gorgeous.”

In 2023, more than 300 students from the Dover campus and nearly 240 students from the East campus opted to travel abroad for project week, while about 80 students across both campuses chose to remain in Singapore.

In a blog post on the UWCSEA perspectives website, faculty members said the week-long sojourn was the “highlight of high school” and the means by which students fulfil the International Baccalaureate diploma’s “creativity, action and service” requirement – in effect, a graduation prerequisite”.

“It is not a holiday,” it added.

Students must plan either creative, active or service-oriented itineraries, according to another blog post on the UWCSEA portal.

But Kaira’s former classmate, a grade 12 student who wanted to be known only as Z, said: “It’s an escape from school. Although it’s not intended as a holiday, it’s often treated as one.”

Z also confirmed that the students go solo on these overseas trips, “with no adult supervision”.

Partying is common and is a risk the school is well aware of, Z added. “The school talks about it a lot in the planning stages and warn us of the consequences, but at the end of the day it’s up to students and their maturity and moral compass to make decisions.

“Sometimes that includes breaking rules.”

When asked if future overseas trips should have chaperons, Z disagreed, saying it would “change the whole vibe and point of it”.

Z said: “You certainly have an amazing opportunity, and going forward, this will serve as a good example for students not to drink or whatever.

“If done well, you have a great time with friends and achieve something, as well as learn skills along the way.”

Those keen on contributing to Kaira’s memorial endowment can do so at https://www.uwcsea.edu.sg/support-us/memorial-endowment-contribution

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...ambodia-several-parents-ask-for-policy-review

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE – The death of a 17-year-old international school student during a school trip to Cambodia has sparked concern among several parents who want answers and a review of guidelines on overseas excursions.

Kaira Karmakar, an Indian national who was studying at United World College of South-east Asia (UWCSEA) in Dover Road, died in a road accident on June 1 while on a school trip to the Cambodian capital Phnom Penh.

She was with a group of classmates, and there were no teachers or adult representatives accompanying them. UWCSEA was notified at 3.07am the same day. The school declined to say how many students were part of the group.

UWCSEA Dover head Patrick Hurworth, in an e-mail to parents on June 1, informed them that she had died while in Cambodia for the school’s project week.

The e-mail, seen by The Straits Times, said students have the option of going on an overseas field trip for project week as part of the grade 11 curriculum, and that it is “designed to support readiness for independent life” after graduation.

UWCSEA, a top international school with campuses around the world, has two in Singapore – in Dover Road and Tampines. Grade 11 is similar to the first year in junior college in Singapore.

UWCSEA head of college Nick Alchin, in an e-mail on June 7, said students would break into small groups of four to six and spend up to six months planning their trips. The process is supervised by a teacher who does not go on the trip, he added.

Mr Alchin said: “It is different to all other outdoor education trips because the structure is to use a period of detailed supervised planning to support student travel without an accompanying UWCSEA adult.”

One student in each group is given mandatory first-aid training, and students have access to a 24-hour emergency hotline – provided by security service International SOS – and a list of local contacts and the closest hospitals, he added.

In his e-mail, Mr Alchin said the school is planning to have an external investigation done on the accident as well as project week. The final report, he added, will be submitted to the audit and risk committee of the school’s board of governors – the body responsible for reviewing school processes.

However, one parent said it has been nearly three months and there has been no update on the incident since the June 7 e-mail from Mr Alchin.

The parent, who asked not to be identified, said: “The school has not informed the parents of the outcome of the investigation and obviously expects that this has been forgotten throughout the summer holidays.

“As a parent, I feel voiceless and cornered.”

The parent also asked why the school would allow students to go on an overseas trip without an adult.

Said the parent: “The school’s justification that this trip was meant to foster independence in our children is nothing short of a poor excuse...

“The tragedy that unfolded as this young lady died in a road accident was entirely preventable. The school should have been aware that teenagers are prone to testing boundaries.”

UWCSEA declined to answer queries on the accident or the review of project week guidelines.

It did, however, celebrate Kaira’s life in a joint statement with the Karmakar family.

The statement said: “Kaira was exceptional, an outstanding student who had already achieved so much in her life and who shared her blessings freely. UWCSEA has named a scholarship in Kaira’s honour, so that a young student of great promise and potential can experience an education at the school she loved.”

According to the UWC website, the school has also set up an endowment in Kaira’s name – in a tie-up with the Karmakar family, and the fund will help support UWCSEA scholarships, among other things.

On social media platform TikTok, Kaira’s friends paid tribute to her. One person left a comment on the last post put up by Kaira. It said: “Rest in peace gorgeous.”

In 2023, more than 300 students from the Dover campus and nearly 240 students from the East campus opted to travel abroad for project week, while about 80 students across both campuses chose to remain in Singapore.

In a blog post on the UWCSEA perspectives website, faculty members said the week-long sojourn was the “highlight of high school” and the means by which students fulfil the International Baccalaureate diploma’s “creativity, action and service” requirement – in effect, a graduation prerequisite”.

“It is not a holiday,” it added.

Students must plan either creative, active or service-oriented itineraries, according to another blog post on the UWCSEA portal.

But Kaira’s former classmate, a grade 12 student who wanted to be known only as Z, said: “It’s an escape from school. Although it’s not intended as a holiday, it’s often treated as one.”

Z also confirmed that the students go solo on these overseas trips, “with no adult supervision”.

Partying is common and is a risk the school is well aware of, Z added. “The school talks about it a lot in the planning stages and warn us of the consequences, but at the end of the day it’s up to students and their maturity and moral compass to make decisions.

“Sometimes that includes breaking rules.”

When asked if future overseas trips should have chaperons, Z disagreed, saying it would “change the whole vibe and point of it”.

Z said: “You certainly have an amazing opportunity, and going forward, this will serve as a good example for students not to drink or whatever.

“If done well, you have a great time with friends and achieve something, as well as learn skills along the way.”

Those keen on contributing to Kaira’s memorial endowment can do so at https://www.uwcsea.edu.sg/support-us/memorial-endowment-contribution

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...ambodia-several-parents-ask-for-policy-review
RIP
Condoloence to her family

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's Cambodia no teacher wanted to follow. If it's Japan, the students will be accompanied by several teachers.
If Nippon, principal will go as well, need tl check-out good education documentary for his own self upgrade

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Well, the school trip has done its job. She is now independent from life. :biggrin:

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why are the students going to Cambodia at such a young age to show to the school that they are independent in order to pass??

It just amazes me. If is some Bangkok or some nuzzling City, I'm sure the teacher will want to follow to supervise.

orh mee suah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only 17 but the trip was unchaperoned?
She was still a child and sweet looking too.
The parents are responsible for her untimely demise.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I was in Cambodia , I was driven around and followed by bodyguards even though I was from the private sector as my Cambodian host insisted on it.
That was my one and ony trip as its not a comfortable feeling to be followed everwhere.
The experience was worst than Pinoyland where I dare not walk on the streets but at least I do not need to be shadowed everwhere

Last edited:

ChinaCommunistSG

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I was in Cambodia , I was driven around and followed by bodyguards even though I was from the private sector as my Cambodian host insisted on it.
That was my one and ony trip as its not a comfortable feeling to be followed everwhere.
The experience was worst than Pinoyland where I dare not walk on the streets but at least I do not need to be shadowed everwhere
Is it safe to visit angkor?

You need body guard at Cebu

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
The parents blame the school for not having an adult following the kids but fail to blame themselves for allowing their own kids to do so.
I hope the school learns it's lesson and stop enrolling CECAkroaches as it is more headache than benefit.

Hightech88

Alfrescian
Loyal
It only mention 'road accident' knn no head no tail.

So did this CECA died while involved in a vehicle collision or knocked down while crossing the road?